• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Saw this in console's screenshot thread

photomod
22201493034_55f244fb17_o.png

real gameplay

driveclub_20151108014rgqwl.png

Difference is pretty huge

Guess which new pic of Driveclub is now going to be used to show the quality of the graphics.

No not during live gameplay, there you are right.

No chance the game could offer replays?

I don't think so since I can't think of another open-world NFS that has a replay system. The lack of a photomode is really odd in a game partially built around personalizing your own car. But then you don't get the tools to share those creations with others.

Synth

Cherry picking of the year.

Will try to do the same for Forza. Hold my beer.

The same was done for Forza, and the thread was filled with a ton of "Was the shot taken directly from the game? Then yes, it's representative".

These shots whilst obviously pretty awful in comparison to the average, are what Gestault was talking about when he mentioned "lies of omission" in regards to Driveclub. These aren't the only times it doesn't look good, yes you have seen it look like that, and this is what he meant by the 2d trees being clearly discernible in many areas.

Sure, not that many screenshots of the game looking like this are posted here... but that makes sense because people usually try to take shots of areas they think look nice, and if they did accidentally snap a shot like that, they'd probably just delete it.

Pif

Banned
I think this would be the Forza equivalent of that awful DC shot:

IMG_95a1ef50-e3db-4a32-8612-3df620713cd7.png

Note I actually played both games and think Forza is brilliant and the rumble feeling of the xbox controller really adds to it.
And this pic doesn't make it justice, while not looking in the same league as DC, it looja fantastic.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Racing game with temporal anti aliasing has terrible aliasing when not moving. hmmm. It's almost as if it's suppose to look its best in motion.

Pif

Banned
I dislike the way Forza 6 looks, but that seems fine to me.

I like the fact that the color palette and saturation don't aim for real life values like Driveclub and instead go for this type of color intensity also seen in GTA5.

VanWinkle

DC is a little inconsistent. It has the lowest lows of any of the big hitters, where sometimes it just does not look good. You see those shots pretty often. It's at its worst when you're not moving. But it also has BY FAR the highest highs, and, in general, looks the best.

Stillmatic

You can say this for the nice shots as well though, its easier to pick out rough shots than the wow shots for a non photo expert like myself, imo
Good screenshots of DC are cherry picked? It's the best looking racer to date and has the best looking environments, it's not exactly hard to take good gameplay shots is it?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've posted dozens of screenshots in this thread, all of gameplay. Thread is back on a never ending loop.

Yep, I pointed out weeks ago that the whole thing has become pointless and it's clear Driveclub wins this particular debate easily, but here we are again trying to rewrite the facts. It's stupid. I wonder how long it will take before we start talking about framerates this time?

carl32

Banned
Good screenshots of DC are cherry picked? It's the best looking racer to date and has the best looking environments, it's not exactly hard to take good gameplay shots is it?
Well i most people pick their best shots unless they have a agenda, most shots you see of Driveclub aren't chase cam are they. Im not denying its the best looking racer its just a lot of the times i think it doesnt look like that a lot of the time to me when i play it. Just my opinion.

I've posted dozens of screenshots in this thread, all of gameplay. Thread is back on a never ending loop.

I have looked at the imgur albums you linked but they all are shots with quite a lot of motion blur. Any still images?

I mean there is quite obviously a two fold reason for that: motion blur obscures, as well as being one of the ways one actually captures in-gameplay screens.

DC is a little inconsistent. It has the lowest lows of any of the big hitters, where sometimes it just does not look good. You see those shots pretty often. It's at its worst when you're not moving. But it also has BY FAR the highest highs, and, in general, looks the best.

That's the biggest truth I read here. :)

Coroner

Banned
Yep, I pointed out weeks ago that the whole thing has become pointless and it's clear Driveclub wins this particular debate easily, but here we are again trying to rewrite the facts. It's stupid. I wonder how long it will take before we start talking about framerates this time?
Well Driveclub does look the best but other races have advantages over Driveclub, such as IQ and AF. Nothing wrong with discussing these things, that's what this thread was made for in the first place.

Synth

Well Driveclub does look the best but other races have advantages over Driveclub, such as IQ and AF. Nothing wrong with discussing these things, that's what this thread was made for in the first place.

Exactly. If it's "done, over with", then simply leave the thread.

Stillmatic

I have looked at the imgur albums you linked but they all are shots with quite a lot of motion blur. Any still images?

I mean there is quite obviously a two fold reason for that: motion blur obscures, as well as being one of the ways one actually captures in-gameplay screens.

Nah I don't think I have many idle shots at all unfortunately, might look at taking some when I'm back in Aus. I take all mine while I'm racing or just running laps, trying to capture the feel/look of gameplay.

pixelbox

Preach.

Preach!

PREACH!

Yas Lawd!

If you notice, the worst screenshots are in the same time of day using car colors that contrast the environments. It's a never ending loop that goes; great screens>bad screen>great screens>framerate>A.I.>gameplay. Over and over...

Nah I don't think I have many idle shots at all unfortunately, might look at taking some when I'm back in Aus. I take all mine while I'm racing or just running laps, trying to capture the feel/look of gameplay.

That is quite understandable though :)

Though I do think the mb helps obscures a lot of problematic track side detail. But it is far from an ugly game of course.

Stillmatic

That is quite understandable though :)

Though I do think the mb helps obscures a lot of problematic track side detail. But it is far from an ugly game of course.
Yeah definitely, though with MB that could be said of any racing game, except maybe FH2 when talking IQ.

Unreal

If you notice, the worst screenshots are in the same time of day using car colors that contrast the environments. It's a never ending loop that goes; great screens>bad screen>great screens>framerate>A.I.>gameplay. Over and over...

Yellow and green are the typical colors for a Lambo...

Driving

driveclub_20151108205lkrtp.png

Not driving

driveclub_20151108205hlro4.png

Not driving + Photomode

driveclub_201511082058fpcd.png

DC is a little inconsistent. It has the lowest lows of any of the big hitters, where sometimes it just does not look good..

This

. But it also has BY FAR the highest highs, and, in general, looks the best.

And this.

psn

DC's Screenshots are a little inconsistent. It has the lowest lows of any of the big hitters, where sometimes it just does not look good. You see those shots pretty often. It's at its worst when you're not moving. But it also has BY FAR the highest highs, and, in general, looks the best.

Imo it's only the screenshots that look inconsistent that much, because of the anti aliasing method which seems to be working when you're moving only. While playing it never fails to blow me away...

pixelbox

Yellow and green are the typical colors for a Lambo...

Driving

driveclub_20151108205lkrtp.png

Not driving

driveclub_20151108205hlro4.png

Not driving + Photomode

driveclub_201511082058fpcd.png

What you show here is that Photomode doesn't add as much as you say. The pictures that was shown earlier were in different locations that had a different amount of trees. You tried to pass that off as Photomode adding more detail. Why don't you try a different time of day?

pixelbox

Imo it's only the screenshots that look inconsistent that much, because of the anti aliasing method which seems to be working when you're moving only. While playing it never fails to blow me away...

Right. Screen grabs from different locations on the same track. Selecting a time where shadows are not present under cloudy locations. High contrast between the car and environment.

DD

Even without this anti aliasing issue, games should never be compared or judged using still shots. It's all about movement.

On the NFS subject, I really enjoy this overloaded filtery look. In fact, I'm somewhat trying to replicate it on Dirt Rally, using Reshade.

drt2015-11-0818-18-07n6soj.jpg

I think it looks great, except for the pop-ins here and there. Does it look better than DC? Only playing to know,
which I'll not do because of this insistence in using stupid DRMs.

pixelbox

Interesting to see all the things photomode adds: more reflection samples, AF, super sample image quality, etc.

It is known photomode swaps the car models, bumps the AF, and AA but where's this added reflection samples? Are you confusing a clearer image with higher quality reflection samples? And what's "ect."? Are you trying to artificially inflate what photomode adds?

It is known photomode swaps the car models, bumps the AF, and AA but where's this added reflection samples? Are you confusing a clearer image with higher quality reflection samples? And what's "ect."? Are you trying to artificially inflate what photomode adds?

The photomode version has reflections that aren't cascading (for lack of a better word) under the spoiler and also reflect the environment along the left top-side of the car whereas the normal version reflects what appears to be a completely different general white 'mountain'?

Top Bottom