• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just posting a pic hopefully 3840x2160 as I presume I've been banned from the DF Forza v GT7 thread for unknowingly posting picture that wasn't full rez. ( I presume this as I I haven't been given a reason) saved via PS5-USB then shared from PostImage as I can't upload directly on Gaf.

Can someone confirm for me 3840x2160 so I don't accused in the future of anything.

Gran-Turismo-7-20231215094315-1.png

Last edited:

hlm666

I wish, its AC, Nordchleife hasnt come out on ACC yet
I saw the trailer for that a few weeks ago and thought it was the release trailer doh, and I couldn't remember any of my porsches in ac having the race logic computer but that doesn't mean much, i'm not a huge porsche guy and probably havn't driven any of the ones that came with the base game. Good old AC, the game that keeps on giving.

Will leave this here as penance for getting it wrong.

Now I need to take a mustang for a run around Mount Panarama.

MCplayer

I saw the trailer for that a few weeks ago and thought it was the release trailer doh, and I couldn't remember any of my porsches in ac having the race logic computer but that doesn't mean much, i'm not a huge porsche guy and probably havn't driven any of the ones that came with the base game. Good old AC, the game that keeps on giving.

Will leave this here as penance for getting it wrong.

Now I need to take a mustang for a run around Mount Panarama.

Thats exactly the PP filter I used for the video haha

CamHostage

Does raster road scrolling still count as next-gen?

(*This is almost assuredly using polygons and texturing instead of old raster line tricks, but either way, it's a change of pace for a sec.)

Last edited:

Magik85

When it comes to weather (not graphics), i believe Project Cars 2 is doing best job.
Not only puddles have massive impact on your car but drying line is not some script of "perfect line" drying faster, but its actually based on track temperatures. If you will purposely drive on "wrong" part of the track, its gonna dry faster than perfect line. Pretty neat.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Even a game like Euro Truck Simulator, done by a little independent studio of 15 people, has rain effects that are like a whole generation better than GT7 and Forza... wtf is wrong with those hundreds of millions big studios? they're not even trying anymore... 🤦🏻

Not to detract from how awesome SCS is but that rain is from a mod (which I guess drives your point even more as a modder does that and AAA can't).

Last edited:

saintjules

Even a game like Euro Truck Simulator, done by a little independent studio of 15 people, has rain effects that are like a whole generation better than GT7 and Forza... wtf is wrong with those hundreds of millions big studios? they're not even trying anymore... 🤦🏻

Maybe someone is dictating decisions and doesn't know what is good to have versus bad in these AAA studios? Only thing I can think of.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Not to detract from how awesome SCS is but that rain is from a mod (which I guess drives your point even more as a modder does that and AAA can't).
Maybe someone is dictating decisions and doesn't know what is good to have versus bad in these AAA studios? Only thing I can think of.
Its not only because they can't or not want, its the leads decision to make it simple so that casual players are not complaining about visibility. I remember that in FM7 demo there was heavy storm rain that poured the windscreen full of droplets but they got bad feedback about the visibility and reduced it at launch. They are more focused on casuals than there real hardcore fans unfortunately. Im 100% sure that both PD and T10 could make the best rain effects ever if they would focus on it and put it high on there list. But after almost 10 years with the same looking rain effects i don't expect it from them anymore tbh. It seems that they don't care how the rain looks from the cockpit. My last hope is FH6 on the new engine since they always use the engine in its full potential. But even there im a bit iffy.

left is demo right is the game at launch
LLp9NwO.jpg

Also while the Rain effects in FM (2023) are improved compared to FM7, they are still behind compared to DC, ACC, AC (modded), DR and many others. Same goes for GT7.

FukuDaruma

Its not only because they can't or not want, its the leads decision to make it simple so that casual players are not complaining about visibility. I remember that in FM7 demo there was heavy storm rain that poured the windscreen full of droplets but they got bad feedback about the visibility and reduced it at launch. They are more focused on casuals than there real hardcore fans unfortunately. Im 100% sure that both PD and T10 could make the best rain effects ever if they would focus on it and put it high on there list. But after almost 10 years with the same looking rain effects i don't expect it from them anymore tbh. It seems that they don't care how the rain looks from the cockpit. My last hope is FH6 on the new engine since they always use the engine in its full potential. But even there im a bit iffy.

LLp9NwO.jpg

Also while the Rain effects in FM (2023) are improved compared to FM7, they are still behind compared to DC, ACC, AC (modded), DR and many others. Same goes for GT7.

Seems so, but that would be as easy to fix as having a setting in the menus to allow the user to configure how much or how 'hard' you want the rain effects to be...

Driveclub was a lot more focused to casuals and non-sim people. As is Forza Horizon, marketed as an "open world arcade".

GT7 is marketed as "The Real Driving Simulator", and Forza as more near to a sim than to an arcade.

Last edited:

hlm666

So I used to play alot of grand prix legends back in the 90's, i've played around with some of the mods to update it and they ge it to a reasonable state. I've never bothered to look at the old race track mods for AC as i've generally been all in on the open world type mods. So news years eve while I was getting drunk, a friend decided to go adds the mods to my AC in an effort to get me onboard for some nights playing these in the coming weeks. Long story short, if you were ever into gpl and want a modern "remaster" the AC mods with the old track layouts are a real treat.

Fun Fact. This made 3 drunk people throw up playing it in VR on new years.

Senua

LLp9NwO.jpg

Wow this actually pisses me off a little! It's a sim ffs, T10 need to stop babying players, the ones that enjoy being babied are playing Horizon now. They need to move on from "car lovers into gamers" and "toddlers to grandpas playing together" bullshit that holds the game back as a serious racer. I want this game to be a challenge, if it has a hard storm reduce my visibility, it's all part of the experience!

sigrad

LLp9NwO.jpg

Actually Rain reacted better on your windshield in FM 7 than it does in FM 2023. The side windows still look good. Oh, and puddles are a thing of the past in FM 2023. You had to be pretty careful in FM7. Can't even tell the track is wet on FM 2023.

Last edited:

Senua

Asseto Corsa looks great....when PC modders changed the game so much it doesn't even represent the original game visually. Without the mods, AC doesn't even come close to GT7.
Who woulda thought game released almost a decade ago wouldnt look as good as GT7! That's Assetto Corsa Competizione anyway, which looks considerably better than AC.

CamHostage

Since this thread has been bumping recently, it seems like a good time to seed Rennsport into the conversation.

Rennsport is a UE5 racing game for PC (and only PC at this point, maybe ever.) It is made by Teyon, the makers of Robocop Rogue City... well, not really, it's by a partner team called "Competition Company", but Teyon is helping and also publishing. It uses the isiMotor 2 drive system found in rFactor 1/2 (and there's been some controversy about that, although either way, they're doing a lot of custom work as well.) Currently, it is only listed as Coming Soon (no presale) on Epic Game Store, I don't know if it's a planned exclusive launch there. The game is very eSports-oriented, which manifests itself in some broadcast and "digital ownership" systems (not NFTs though) to look into. A beta is out and there are various impressions (good and bad) about its current state of polish and promise.

Last edited:
Who woulda thought game released almost a decade ago wouldnt look as good as GT7! That's Assetto Corsa Competizione anyway, which looks considerably better than AC.
I was talking about the lates AC not the first one. My point being, people use it as a graphical showcase but thats like someone using GTA 5 with 90 mods and saying look how great the game looks but its not how it "actually" looks. ACC looks amazing.....thanks to 100 mods on it.

SimTourist

Looks good overall, but they always mess up the little details like curb sizes, colors and angles, width, etc. Even the version from GT4 on PS2 is probaly more correct as a track.

Last edited:

MCplayer

Since this thread has been bumping recently, it seems like a good time to seed Rennsport into the conversation.

Rennsport is a UE5 racing game for PC (and only PC at this point, maybe ever.) It is made by Teyon, the makers of Robocop Rogue City... well, not really, it's by a partner team called "Competition Company", but Teyon is helping and also publishing. It uses the isiMotor 2 drive system found in rFactor 1/2 (and there's been some controversy about that, although either way, they're doing a lot of custom work as well.) Currently, it is only listed as Coming Soon (no presale) on Epic Game Store, I don't know if it's a planned exclusive launch there. The game is very eSports-oriented, which manifests itself in some broadcast and "digital ownership" systems (not NFTs though) to look into. A beta is out and there are various impressions (good and bad) about its current state of polish and promise.

I got the key and still havent plaqyed it lol, seems quite boring for some reason

SimTourist

Is Driver San Francisco the first released game that uses Screen Space Reflections? I think so. Certainly on console cause Crysis 2 got it with the DX11 update but I'm not sure when that dropped.

Look at the engine cover reflected in the back window. And you can also spot other cars and pedestrians reflected in the car. And the actual implementation is more robust than most we've seen in the PS4 generation with not obvious artifacts and breakup. And it also ran at 60 fps on the PS360. You can also see the mission objective marker reflected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom