• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13 at 6 PM PT/ 9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Neo needs it's own event with all the focus on it so Sony can fully explain what it is. The event also needs to be closer to it's release date.

E3. Sony needs to focus on their software, VR and upcoming plans. E3 generates the hype for the brand. A later event to explain Neo closer to it's release would be best.

This E3 is the E3 where they show us the VR goods. Bring it, Sony.

Hopefully that's not the case. You can't show people VR. It's something they need to experience. That's why Sony partnered with Gamestop to put a bunch of PSVR demo stations in their stores starting this month.

Shinobi said in his podcast with Matty, he's not excepting it. If I remember right.

When did this podcast happen?

I'm guessing Neo reveal isn't in the cards but might get thrown in if they feel the Scorpio reveal merits it.

But even that sounds crazy since it's a HW reveal and last minute changes seem unlikely.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hopefully that's not the case. You can't show people VR. It's something they need to experience. That's why Sony partnered with Gamestop to put a bunch of PSVR demo stations in their stores starting this month.

I wonder if that will coincide with another round of PSVR preorders?

Kyoufu

You don't have to show a VR game being played in VR live on stage. Trailers are fine. Also not all VR games are VR exclusive.

But if you think VR games are going to be announced inside of a Gamestop store, then lol, nope.

I'm guessing Neo reveal isn't in the cards but might get thrown in if they feel the Scorpio reveal merits it.

But even that sounds crazy since it's a HW reveal and last minute changes seem unlikely.

As you seem to realise, they can't "just" throw it in - it's imperative they get the messaging right, and they're not going to do that by hastily concocting a "response" to Microsoft's announcements hours before they go on stage.

If Microsoft really is announcing a new console that's 18 months away with nothing substantial to show, I don't think Sony will give a crap. They'll have their own roadmap and will stick to it.

I just don't know how they get through the streams of interviews after the press conference which are all inevitably going to centre on Neo. There's going to be an embarrassing amount of, "We're not talking about that now."

Yeah, I hope they don't try and do another time-consuming, complicated demo but I assume he means trailers showing new VR games since the games are the goods. Announcing more big games we'll be getting for PSVR with new trailers isn't really a problem.

Boke1879

You don't have to show a VR game being played in VR live on stage. Trailers are fine. Also not all VR games are VR exclusive.

But if you think VR games are going to be announced inside of a Gamestop store, then lol, nope.

Yup. They'll show trailers, announce new partners and new games coming to the platform. They will certainly do this. They are all in on VR. I doubt so much you'll be seeing people don the headsets and them spending 30 minutes on it.

N.Domixis

Banned
As you seem to realise, they can't "just" throw it in - it's imperative they get the messaging right, and they're not going to do that by hastily concocting a "response" to Microsoft's announcements hours before they go on stage.

If Microsoft really is announcing a new console that's 18 months away with nothing substantial to show, I don't think Sony will give a crap. They'll have their own roadmap and will stick to it.

I just don't know how they get through the streams of interviews after the press conference which are all inevitably going to centre on Neo. There's going to be an embarrassing amount of, "We're not talking about that now."
They could just go "what the hell are you talking about" if asked on neo. Lol

They could just go "what the hell are you talking about" if asked on neo. Lol

I'm sure they will to be honest, but given everything that's leaked, it's going to come across a bit evasive. Some may argue that at least Microsoft's being "open" about its plans rather than being evasive.

I'd argue, if it does come to this, there may be a very obvious reason for Microsoft speaking so soon, but that's beside the point really.

BruceCLea

Banned
What's this talk about no Neo? I just listened to the Matty podcast again and Shinobi didn't mention it, just saying it was smart for one of the podcasters not to buy a PS4 right now.

I remember he said that it wouldn't be there a while ago but now he wasn't sure...am I missing something here?

PS I Love You, GameSpot, CNET, IGN, GameInformer and more all expect the Neo to be there.

Is it not now at the 11th hour?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
What's this talk about no Neo? I just listened to the Matty podcast again and Shinobi didn't mention it, just saying it was smart for one of the podcasters not to buy a PS4 right now.

I remember he said that it wouldn't be there a while ago but now he wasn't sure...am I missing something here?

PS I Love You, GameSpot, CNET, IGN, GameInformer and more all expect the Neo to be there.

Quite conflicting report(s) about expectations/whether it'll be there at E3 or not in some form. I honestly don't know what to expect regarding Neo at this point anymore lmao.

RootCause

That would suck. I'm satisfied with my ps4, but I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Zukkoyaki

I have no idea what to expect with Neo either. Though my gut instinct tells me it won't be E3, instead it will be at Gamescom (Which they seem to be attending this year) in mid August which is much closer to the expected launch window. My main reason for thinking so is because Gamescom is where they announced the PS3 slim.

I'm seeing talk about Spring 2017 for Scorpio. I don't know what to believe.

Spring 2017 would mean it will have a Polaris GPU and not the one that's coming later next year. so it would torpedo the supposed power advantage over Neo. so either the horsepower rumors are wrong or the date. or they're both correct and it's Fall 2017.

i think it's a real possibility that Neo just skips E3 and is unveiled later at another event. but that would require that they either do (as others have said) a shotgun release style approach "preorders will be live tonight with shipment expected in 3 weeks" or they push it to Spring 2017.

i'm also not sure if it would be beneficial for them to run any side by side comparison videos of how games would look on PS4 vs Neo. it could either sell a lot of people on it or it could rustle a lot of jimmies.... or both.

*shrug*

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I just wanna know if its coming soon or not. I have a $500 buck pre order for psvr that I'll cancel since I'm not getting both in the same year
Gut feeling says it'll be out this year, 99%. I'm also in the same boat as you since I got a PSVR on pre-order. And I'm finally building my new rig cuz got tired of waiting for fucking hbm2 lmao. Wallet already crying.
So, a (PS4 exclusive?) Spiderman game developed by Insomniac.

What say you all?
As long as I get my current gen PS4 R&C, I'm good with this. Also muuuch better than putting Sucker Punch talent on this since they're probably hard at work on their current project.

BruceCLea

Banned
I've just read a lot about it and console sales seem to slow in the summer months so it might be a good idea for them to debut it at E3 to match what MS is doing with the Slim. Maybe it would be a good idea to announce and release it around by Gamescom or TGS but keeping an announcement and release so close together would be a bad idea here because people might not buy it at first out of anger. Maybe they're thinking that all the anger towards it will dissipate if they announce it at E3 and then release it by September along with a PS4 price drop. People already know about it...like fucking everybody. Just announce the damn thing.

Then again, I know nothing.

Boke1879

Gut feeling says it'll be out this year, 99%. I'm also in the same boat as you since I got a PSVR on pre-order. And I'm finally building my new rig cuz got tired of waiting for fucking hbm2 lmao. Wallet already crying.

As long as I get my current gen PS4 R&C, I'm good with this. Also muuuch better than putting Sucker Punch talent on this since they're probably hard at work on their current project.

I'd say Neo will be out this year as well and I want to say it'll be out in time for the new COD. I'm sure they'll bundle it to really drive adoption.

So, a (PS4 exclusive?) Spiderman game developed by Insomniac.

What say you all?

I gotta see how it looks but as of now I'm in.

I've just read a lot about it and console sales seem to slow in the summer months so it might be a good idea for them to debut it at E3 to match what MS is doing with the Slim. Maybe it would be a good idea to announce and release it around by Gamescom or TGS but keeping an announcement and release so close together would be a bad idea here because people might not buy it at first out of anger. Maybe they're thinking that all the anger towards it will dissipate if they announce it at E3 and then release it by September along with a PS4 price drop. People already know about it...like fucking everybody. Just announce the damn thing.

I agree with most of your musings, but I find it hard to doubt Sony at the moment. I've been waiting all generation for them to muck something up, but they seem so well prepared these days.

It's a weird feeling to have, but I genuinely trust them to nail this... Even though I'd ordinarily be majorly sceptical.

Spinluck

If a Spider-Man game is indeed going to be announced by a big time developer, I will shit my pants.

I've seen nothing that solidifies this rumor so I will just assume nothing will be announced.

Dinjooh

People who will feel anger about this thing is in the absolute minority of people, I highly doubt that is of any concern to Sony. In regards to people knowing about it, well.. People who follow E3? Yea almost everyone, but to the general console buying populace? I heavily doubt it.

Anecdotal incoming: I believe we're 5 guys in my class with PS4's, I am the only one who knows about Neo, hell even care about it.

A brand new ground up Ratchet and Clank with a higher budget would be music to my ears.

And yeah, Shinobi says no Infamous and with Spiderman seemingly out of the picture, it seems Sucker Punch is busy working on a new IP. Sounds good to me.

Cool beans

Though I'm skeptical since Insomniac is only a little over 200 people and they just shipped Ratchet and Edge of Nowhere with three, albeit small, additional games in the pipeline
Mm, I guess that is a valid concern. If the game has to hit next year to coincide with the movie, maybe they'll get a lot of aid from Sony to help speed things up.

I gotta see how it looks but as of now I'm in.
Yep, if it is announced and it looks good, I'm in.

Insomniac? Hmmm idk they obviously can get the character down with the puns,jokes and snark that is R&C and sunset overdrive alil skeptical with gameplay
Yeah, I am not sure it will reach peak potential (Sucker Punch was the best opportunity) but I think Insomniac can make a fairly good Spiderman game in terms of gameplay.

I don't fully believe it yet, but I'm definitely on board if it's true. Insomniac has the talent to finally make the great Spider-man we've been waiting for.
Yep, the talent is definitely there.

They seem completely booked. Ratchet Clank team just finished, the rest of their teams have like 3 VR games and 1 indie style game.
Yeah, this would probably be the biggest concern. It may spell development trouble or delays galore if they are doing it.

I say how? How could they manage to work on a Spiderman game when they have got their hands on so many projects. I really, really doubt it...
Fair enough.

Dinjooh

People who will feel anger about this thing is in the absolute minority of people, I highly doubt that is of any concern to Sony. In regards to people knowing about it, well.. People who follow E3? Yea almost everyone, but to the general console buying populace? I heavily doubt it.

Anecdotal incoming: I believe we're 5 guys in my class with PS4's, I am the only one who knows about Neo, hell even care about it.

I kinda feel that it's people like us who are most likely to be shook by a shift in the way things are done like Neo seems to represent. Outside of console the idea of having different products for the same function at different price/ performance level is pretty standard for just about every single piece of consumer electronics around and a lot of other things besides.

Edit: And about the Insomniac/ Spiderman thing. I just don't see it. After making such a big thing about keeping their own IPs, why would they turn around and work on a licensed property?

The God

What happened to suckerpunch Spiderman?

IMO They'd make the best game.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Sucker Punch made a Spiderman game?" that's literally where that whole thing comes from. There was never any reason to think SP was making a Spiderman game.

Eh. I'm still all aboard the Sucker Punch train.
Follow your dreams!

Edit - Well, Shinobi just destroyed that lol.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Sucker Punch made a Spiderman game?" that's literally where that whole thing comes from. There was never any reason to think SP was making a Spiderman game.
Pretty much.

The rumor was just the Spiderman game. Sucker Punch was just attached to it by Gaf because it would have been freaking awesome.

Exactly. It's like putting two bricks together without any cement and hoping for the best ..... okk maybe not but you know, there was never any reason. Tis just a dream. But hey if people wanna dream then I won't stop them lol.

jelly

A VR Spider-Man segment like the ASM films would be neat when it was first person. Seeing your reflection climbing the building and leaping off. Might be puke inducing but awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom