• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's not the next version of Wii, it's not the next version of Wii U, it's not the next version of 3ds. It takes ideas from all of them though.

Plus, once you get aquainted to corporate talk, you get to know that it's never white or black. It's always a new concept even if it uses 90% of the old concept. Just watch how PS4 Neo will be presented next week.

udivision

Who was it who talked nicer about NX? Take Two? Bethesda? Some president said something nicer about it compared to the blasting the Wii U got.

That means a lot for the NX of how they didn't blast it like they did the Wii U. Maybe, there is an SCD in play, but the sources won't tell Emily or LPVG or anyone else.
I don't see why Nintendo would bother with that. An SCD would mostly serve one purpose, and that purpose is not where their strength not interest lies.

TLZ

Banned
It's not the next version of Wii, it's not the next version of Wii U, it's not the next version of 3ds. It takes ideas from all of them though.

Plus, once you get aquainted to corporate talk, you get to know that it's never white or black. It's always a new concept even if it uses 90% of the old concept. Just watch how PS4 Neo will be presented next week.

Lol ok :/

I hope this gets revealed as well and get it done with.

How about Fantasy Life 3?

Dunno, since Brownie Brown is now 1UP-STUDIO and Brownies only did the Link! content.

And isn't FL2 just a redone version of the original? Not sure how they can do that if Brownie Brown's work is retained, since you know, BB was/is a 1st-party Nintendo developer. That or Nintendo gave them the okay since it's only on mobile.

I don't see why Nintendo would bother with that. An SCD would mostly serve one purpose, and that purpose is not where their strength not interest lies.
We don't know what they're doing so you can't really say that. They didn't do all these patents for no reason. It doesn't mean they will use it, but they still looked into it.

Lmo911

Yes I know. I just played with the idea of something looking more like this:
2nrszb54.jpg

This I like and it would actually make the console ambidextrous for once for all dem lefties out there...

Maybe? *starts rotating picture*

Kimishima:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203756055&postcount=277

This is why I don't get any of the rumors.
Saw PE on Twitter say that he'd call Nintendo a liar if this is true because they don't think the concept is unique, I think it's pretty unique though. You can play something like BoTW on the go or just dance on the TV all on one device. You have a full touch screen device with buttons which will allow for some new ideas for Nintendo and it's not a very common product (some niche tablets have it, but few take advantage of this set up). We might also be able to alter the screen orientation which would also be fairly unique.
Then we have the detachable controllers with force feedback and gryo controls. Should allow for the option to make a lot of new experiments. Basically, from what we've heard there are a lot of options on how to play games that is unique to the NX/no other device with all of these features.
Additionally, when he said NX isn't a successor to Wii U nor 3DS it likely doesn't mean a complete change in design philosophy. It's not a successor to 3DS since it's not a DS and it lacks 3D just like DS was branded as a third pillar after GBA. As for not being a Wii U successor, it's not a home console. It's a hybrid so it could serve as a successor to both or its own thing.
(Sorry for the long post)

Thraktor

That's UE4, right? Seems somewhat doable, but don't think either Tekken Nintendo release did well

I wouldn't be surprised if it did show up. Namco should have a pretty good relationship with Nintendo by this stage (and obviously plenty of experience developing fighting games for Nintendo hardware), and they do seem to like having a launch title for any new console. They also (in theory) wouldn't have to put as much effort into the port, as they're using a third-party mutiplatform engine, and releasing the game at about the same time as on other platforms means they wouldn't need the kind of bonus features they included on TTT2 for Wii U.

I think that's the part I still have difficulty wrapping my head around. So playing on the TV with the pad docked and in multiplayer settings on the go, you play it Wii style, but in handheld mode you play it like a traditional controller? That means every game should support two or three really different control schemes.

That would mean you either get a separate pro controller in the box (or need to buy one), or the revolutionary thing they haven't revealed yet makes this somehow manageable.

Or, and we shouldn't rule this out, it's going to be a complete mess DoA.
Or the controls used to control the portable detach from the portable and attach to each other and the controls can remain the same while playing on the TV.
I wouldn't be surprised if it did show up. Namco should have a pretty good relationship with Nintendo by this stage (and obviously plenty of experience developing fighting games for Nintendo hardware), and they do seem to like having a launch title for any new console. They also (in theory) wouldn't have to put as much effort into the port, as they're using a third-party mutiplatform engine, and releasing the game at about the same time as on other platforms means they wouldn't need the kind of bonus features they included on TTT2 for Wii U.
Yeah, if the NX sells around the ballpark of the 3DS or Vita post price cut in Japan I think we could expect a lot of major Japanese games to be on it. Not sure if this has the detrimental effect of meaning less exclusives for it (3DS games usually stayed on 3DS due to the differences in hardware) but depending on how DQXI turns out any game on UE4 can potentially land on NX. Hopefully like how Vita gets ports of a lot of ps4 games but less of a gap due to the more modern nature of the hardware (likely Vulkan API)

TunaLover

Didn't quite analyze that quote the first time, if you would like read between lines, and reaching some conclusion from that vague statement one would think that the departure from Wii/Wii U, not only from a brand standpoint BUT a concept as whole, is a consequence to trying to get 'their customer base' (Nintendo fans, gaming enthusiast) on board, see how he never mention casual market or wider demography. Agin, maybe I'm just reaching and whish thinking here ;p

i commented about the above previously and i would like to take the opportunity to make a summation of things commented in the various speculation NX threads, so people can have a clear idea. For example:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=212076846

And well, if we follow the path of solutions of this type one could come up with thousands of them. From collapsing (think a telescope) controllers to use the 4 face buttons in Wii and NES mode all the way to have sliding pieces.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215569974

Instead of what people normally speculate about having diferent attachments. Nintendo could develop just two attachments, use the image senors inside them and let the user remove the top part of the controller with buttons...

To sum up from my previous posts:
  • If Nintendo goes with image sensors inside the detachable controllers or the NX itself that means the buttons won't need to be fixed in a position. Since the buttons don't need to make contacts in specific places of a PCB. This way they could indeed achieve NES style and Wii play style with the same controllers in a comfortable way. The question is durability and how the users will accept that idea because some people think detachable halfs alone make things "too complicated".
i think the separated Dpad and offset Analogue Sticks for of the latest rumors give something extra to think in regards to the above possibility:
  • First, the offset Analogue Sticks means the Detachable halfs retain the same lay out for both controllers when operating in the horizontal orientation (NES style).
  • The Split Dpad is to retain controller "parity and homogeneity" when playing multiplayer NES style. Since the 4 face buttons (ABXY) and the Dpad would feel like individual keys.
  • And the reason to retain all those traditional buttons (Dpad and Diamond Shaped) instead of starting fresh with a simplified interface like with the Wii Remote, is to accomodate all playing styles of Nintendo games across generations in one device. Motions, Touch and traditional 2 handed controllers.
The reason to consider all of the above, is why i' ve been comenting several times, that the distance between stick and face buttons to acomodate NES style of play could compromise comfort when operating the controller vertically. im not sure if there's an optimal distance to allow the 2 controller orientations with the sticks and buttons in a fixed position. i asked but none has give me an idea.

But i think is a plausible solution, whether Nintendo ends up implement it or not is a different matter.

I enjoy your controller analyses. I'm somewhat stumped on the spacing from circle pad to face buttons/dpad. I can only assume these controllers will be less long than the Wii Remote. Maybe it's something we just need to see/feel, but I can't see how it would be optimal in vertical mode either.

Shoulder buttons leave me somewhat stumped, but here's what I'm thinking. It would be a missed opportunity for each of the detachable controllers not to function as an SNES pad. With the configuration based on these reports, the surface where the shoulder buttons would need to be in horizontal mode would be the same one that attaches to the main NX unit. The best solution I can come to at the moment are Steam Controller-esque paddles on the underside of the pads. These could also be used as triggers, but would be digital and somewhat more flush than Wii Remote's B trigger. Perhaps put a couple of shoulder buttons on the top of the main NX unit as well.

The only thing that doesn't square with this is the report that the release latch is on the underside of the controllers. Perhaps that's only for the prototype, though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok with their newest "news" 10do is making it more clear, that they are only joking around.
And guys like this are the reason people think Germans have no sense for humor.

Oh well, this means I'll be more skeptical of minor gaming outlets. I'm in wolf mode right now.

tumblr_mtfo7gNP8Z1s4rha3o6_250.gif

Dunno, since Brownie Brown is now 1UP-STUDIO and Brownies only did the Link! content.

And isn't FL2 just a redone version of the original? Not sure how they can do that if Brownie Brown's work is retained, since you know, BB was/is a 1st-party Nintendo developer. That or Nintendo gave them the okay since it's only on mobile.

I miss Brownie Brown ;___; Why Nintendo, why!?

Malus

After reviewing the thread for IndieGamerChick's statement, she is not too far off from the other sources we have now. We have more than one source saying that the system is easy to port to, there is more than one way to use a controller, etc. The only thing that appears to be an outliner is when her sources said that, "the rumor that it is stronger than the PS4 is "technically " correct". We don't know what is this referenced to. If they were just talking about the CPU, for example, that will fit with LCGeek's statement.

It does seem that the system is much more modern than the PS4, though.

If she was just talking about CPU then she must've had no idea what she was talking about lol. No reason to be so vague either considering that info was already out there. I doubt that was what she meant.

edit: Went over her timeline to check for updates...hoooooo boy. That was a trip. Imma go ahead and not do that again lol.

Or the controls used to control the portable detach from the portable and attach to each other and the controls can remain the same while playing on the TV.

Why do they need to attach to each other? The layout is the same whether connected to the screen or not right? Whether or not the control scheme will be the same is more reliant on if the specific game uses required motion control or touch screen control. If it's just button control they should be the same attached or detached.

Someone earlier asked what's the point about detaching the controllers. One reason imo is that a lot of people complained about playing with the bulky Wii U gamepad. Now instead of having to play with a screen controller, while playing on TV you can detach them for a lighter more comfortable method.

---

I don't agree with the "Nintendo said it's not a successor to xyz so the rumors don't make sense" stuff right now. None of the rumors contradict those earlier statements, maybe they contradict your interpretation of those statements and your specific standards, but NX clearly isn't a Wii clone or Wii U clone. Did those consoles have advanced haptics? Were they fully functional handhelds?

I mean we still remember the "It's not the same game, It's not the same content" fiasco right? They could really be referring to anything, even something minor.

Who was it who talked nicer about NX? Take Two? Bethesda? Some president said something nicer about it compared to the blasting the Wii U got.

That means a lot for the NX of how they didn't blast it like they did the Wii U. Maybe, there is an SCD in play, but the sources won't tell Emily or LPVG or anyone else.
Actually thought about this myself just yesterday. Bethesda hasn't said anything to my knowledge and CD Projekt Red was joking around.
Companies mentioned as being excited are:
Take Two
Ubisoft
Warner Bros
Capcom
Square Enix
Now, I guess it would be easy to think "they like it because it's powerful!" But I don't think that's the case. Here's what I think:
Take Two made a bunch of money off of casual games on Wii like Carnival games. They might be the GTA guys but something reminiscent of the Wii might make them a lot of money if priced correctly. Ubisoft is the same, they made a ton of money on Wii which funded their "real" games. Just Dance sold multiple millions of copies on Wii alone and that just so happens to be the only game they have announced for it.
Warner Bros makes Lego games, something that sells well on any Nintendo hardware so they're going to keep at it.
Capcom and Square Enix both supported to 3DS, Capcom having its current biggest seller exclusive to it. SE announced games that fit the Nintendo handheld audience so that explains that. This is at least my way of seeing this. Would explain all of that while the NX being this hybrid. It's also not like it's devs saying "I'm excited since its powerful"

Arttemis

The NX was mentioned as a shift in their divisive console/handheld strategy by creating a homogenous ecosystem.

I get the impression that this NX will be a dock-able handheld, and after a year or two, we'll see a pseudo-portable console with more hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think that's the part I still have difficulty wrapping my head around. So playing on the TV with the pad docked and in multiplayer settings on the go, you play it Wii style, but in handheld mode you play it like a traditional controller? That means every game should support two or three really different control schemes.

That would mean you either get a separate pro controller in the box (or need to buy one), or the revolutionary thing they haven't revealed yet makes this somehow manageable.

Or, and we shouldn't rule this out, it's going to be a complete mess DoA.

When handheld, the controllers are either side of the screen.

When the screen is docked, the controllers connect either side of some plastic that is similar in size to the handheld unit so it feels similar in the hand. The centre part can contain battery/Bluetooth if the controllers themselves don't.

I'd also like the option to buy a separate controller so I can dock the handheld with the controllers attached for speed and convenience to just grab it and carry on playing

The NX was mentioned as a shift in their divisive console/handheld strategy by creating a homogenous ecosystem.

I get the impression that this NX will be a dock-able handheld, and after a year or two, we'll see a pseudo-portable console with more hardware.

I also feel this way, I was just hoping for the Console version to come first...

Genio88

I'm so looking forward for the reveal that when it'll happen and i'll realize i'm gonna still have to wait about 6 months for the console itself release...i'll be so sad

Genio88

Handheld is where most of Nintendo's profits come from, so it is natural the handheld will be the main version of NX and come first.

Yes indeed, also that's a market(handheld console) where they almost have a monopolio situation, since Vita is pretty much dead and Sony won't likely build a new handheld

Ok with their newest "news" 10do is making it more clear, that they are only joking around.
And guys like this are the reason people think Germans have no sense for humor.

As funny as it looks like I even thought about something like that. I think an evolution of the WiiMote would kinda work like a SNES Pad when holden vertical. The only problem would be the amount of inputs would be too much I guess and look confusing, like you just proofed^^

Dumb. Oh well.

I also feel this way, I was just hoping for the Console version to come first...
Even when we thought it was two systems (could still be) I always expected the handheld to come out first.
If it's a development ecosystem you need the weaker one, or the base unit, to come out first. Why? Because a theoretical NX console should be able to run all NX portable games right out the bat while if it was the opposite an NX handheld coming after a console would not be able to run the current NX games without requiring work from each developer.
Like imagine if the Scorpio came or first before the X1, you couldn't run any game on it without at least some alterations.
So basically, the family of systems wouldn't work until the handheld came out.

Even when we thought it was two systems (could still be) I always expected the handheld to come out first.
If it's a development ecosystem you need the weaker one, or the base unit, to come out first. Why? Because a theoretical NX console should be able to run all NX portable games right out the bat while if it was the opposite an NX handheld coming after a console would not be able to run the current NX games without requiring work from each developer.
Like imagine if the Scorpio came or first before the X1, you couldn't run any game on it without at least some alterations

You are wise James Scott <3 Do you think end of year 2017?

Ogodei

The 6th would've made sense, anyway. 2 weeks before the rumored 20th and a day before Neo-day to deflate Sony (something Nintendo's done before. I remember a Direct that ran directly counter to Sony's TGS keynote at one point).

radcliff

Here is what I am expecting for initial western 3rd party support:

EA: EA Sports, Star Wars, the Sims
Activision: Call of Duty, Skylanders, licensed stuff (i.e. TMNT, Transformers, etc.)
Warner Bros.: Fighting games (Injustice/Mortal Kombat), LEGO games, Batman games, Witcher (should be some overlap with Zelda fans)
Ubisoft: Just Dance, Rayman, Assasin's Creed (at least one attempt to gauge interest)
Take Two: 2K sports, maybe a GTA V port to gauge interest- the series has gotten pretty big and Japan so I could see Nintendo making a push for it
Bethesda: Take a wait and see approach
Zenimax: See Bethesda

They would they either keep support the same, scale back, or expand based on results.

Does this seem realistic?

You are wise James Scott <3 Do you think end of year 2017?
I don't think it's actively being worked on outside of Nintendo. They might want to wait to see how NX does before deciding on a second machine. The point is, unless they scrapped the OS they've been talking about for a couple of years, they have the option to create a new machine not unsimilar to an iPhone update or what Neo is to PS4.
They can release the device if they seem a new market or consumer demand. For example, if VR takes off they can release a more powerful version of the NX that supports VR. The controls are already there so they could theoretically add VR support to various older games without much hassle. Or maybe the same machine can output future NX games 4K.
Of course this what I think they can do, not exactly what I think they will do or should. Just an example.
Remember when Wii sales started to go down after HD TV adoption? Nintendo can react quickly in the case they see the market going in a direction like that.

Peterc

If the dpad works like this, would it be still ok?

2016-09-04_1804.png

It's splitted but not in an enoying way like Sony does and still could work like buttons.

Neoxon

EA: EA Sports, Star Wars, the Sims
Activision: Call of Duty, Skylanders, licensed stuff (i.e. TMNT, Transformers, etc.)
Warner Bros.: Fighting games (Injustice/Mortal Kombat), LEGO games, Batman games, Witcher (should be some overlap with Zelda fans)
Ubisoft: Just Dance, Rayman, Assasin's Creed (at least one attempt to gauge interest)
Take Two: 2K sports, maybe a GTA V port to gauge interest- the series has gotten pretty big and Japan so I could see Nintendo making a push for it
Bethesda: Take a wait and see approach
Zenimax: See Bethesda

They would they either keep support the same, scale back, or expand based on results.

Does this seem realistic?
You may be thinking a bit too optimistically with Bethesda, 2K, Warner Bros., & EA.
  • While sure, I could see one EA & 2K Sports game each on the NX just for the sake of appeasing contracts, I'm not getting my hopes up for anymore.
  • Witcher probably won't happen on the NX thanks to its power & Zelda eating up the potential audience.
  • Since NRS ditched the PS3 & 360, there's a 50/50 chance on if they'll even bother with the NX. Same for the Batman games (mainly from WB Montreal, since Rocksteady seems to be done with the Arkham games).
  • Bethesda likely won't give a fuck either way.
  • CoD may give the NX a chance or two, but what happens afterwards depends on if the NX is a hit.

EA: EA Sports, Star Wars, the Sims (Madden isn't even a given at this point considering how the series has abandoned Nintendo consoles since 2012?)
Activision: Call of Duty, Skylanders, licensed stuff (i.e. TMNT, Transformers, etc.)( I anticipate one Call of Duty game, probably a port of Black Ops 3.)
Warner Bros.: Fighting games (Injustice/Mortal Kombat), LEGO games, Batman games, Witcher (should be some overlap with Zelda fans). (Lego games for sure, but wRPGs have never really had a big presence on Nintendo systems.)
Ubisoft: Just Dance, Rayman, Assasin's Creed (at least one attempt to gauge interest) (All of these are very reasonable.)
Take Two: 2K sports, maybe a GTA V port to gauge interest- the series has gotten pretty big and Japan so I could see Nintendo making a push for it. (A mainline GTA game hasn't seen a Nintendo home console in generations. Even the ginormous success of the DS could only lure a spinoff game from them, and with GTA Online making them so much money, they won't bother)
Bethesda: Take a wait and see approach (They've likely already disregarded the NX)
Zenimax: See Bethesda (Same as above).

Bolded.

jmizzal

They have to release at least one version of Madden on NX, since they have NFL exclusive they must release it at least once on each platform, which is why 3DS and WiiU had Madden at launch

Rather they put Madden 17 or 18 on it is the question, would be dumb to put 17 on it since football season will be over when NX launches in March

Gleethor

I'd also like the option to buy a separate controller so I can dock the handheld with the controllers attached for speed and convenience to just grab it and carry on playing

$10 says that you can use a Wii u pro controller for that exact purpose, and that they'll also sell a rebranded and slightly tweaked version of that same controller.

I enjoy your controller analyses. I'm somewhat stumped on the spacing from circle pad to face buttons/dpad. I can only assume these controllers will be less long than the Wii Remote. Maybe it's something we just need to see/feel, but I can't see how it would be optimal in vertical mode either.
The lenght of the detachable controllers is something i touched upon several times. About 4'' give or take seems like a good compromise, not too short as to affect comfort and not too long as to make the device bulky. The recent rumors about the 6.2'' screen size strenghtens that belief because it would mean the upper and lower bezel of the device wouldn't be too wide with a controller lenght of such size.

Absolutely is something to see/feel by oneself. Since Nintendo can mold or 3D print all the models they want maybe through iteration they found a sweet spot in terms of the distance between stick and face buttons. However, from experience, when operating the controller in vertical orientation, either with lined or offset face buttons and sticks, more than 2'' of lenght between them becomes unconfortable. The mock ups we have, seem to place these elements even farther in some cases.

Shoulder buttons leave me somewhat stumped, but here's what I'm thinking. It would be a missed opportunity for each of the detachable controllers not to function as an SNES pad.
Yes, if each detachable half had the same button lay out of a SNES pad, adding to the fact that the each of them would have as extras Analogue Stick and motion sensing, then it would open the opportunity to have a wide pallete of games of different complexities and genres to experience in multiplayer out of the box.

As consolation, the mock ups that at least put 1 Wii Remote like trigger in the underside at least could have a compromised SNES like functionality. 1 shoulder less but six degrees motion sensing and an analogue stick more.

With the configuration based on these reports, the surface where the shoulder buttons would need to be in horizontal mode would be the same one that attaches to the main NX unit. The best solution I can come to at the moment are Steam Controller-esque paddles on the underside of the pads. These could also be used as triggers, but would be digital and somewhat more flush than Wii Remote's B trigger.
Well yes, i think there are mock ups that do just that. Basically those would be triggers, the difference here is that Nintendo would be putting an extra one, that would not be operational when the detachable half is held verticallly. But both are usable in NES style mode. i think eating the cost of that extra button would be worth it.

Perhaps put a couple of shoulder buttons on the top of the main NX unit as well.
This was brought up before but there's some things to consider:
  • Assuming a width of about 1.2'' to 1.5'' when the controller is vertical and attached to the NX, it would make it hard for the index finger to reach it.
  • The middle finger does have more reach but then those buttons would need to be formated as Triggers in this case. Maybe it could work.
  • However, when adding shoulders to the touch screen part itself adds so much extra functionality to a potential "touch screen only" mode, that it might be worth it for Nintendo to eat the costs.

I hope the Y,X,B,A is the Gamecube style layout, the best Nintendo has ever made, oh and colored Y,X,B,A. I miss my green A and red B!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom