• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 announced (co-op, base, Tides writers, PC/XB1/PS4, $2.75M Fig funding)

mp1990

Banned
via Kotaku
Full press release in the link.

What is Wasteland 3?

A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and tons of other content.
Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and improve your Ranger Base, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy ending is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera
Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

EDIT: also, seems like they won't be going with Kickstarter for funding the project this time around:

In the announcement for Wasteland 3, inXile said they’d be helping fund the game via crowdfunding on Fig, where they hope to raise $2.75 million. The game will also have co-op, following in the footsteps of the isometric Divinity to allow multiple people to play together.

Prototype Screenshots (Via Eurogamer)

Ctc_K3kWAAAuBCC.jpg:large

Ctc_LhuWcAAEt1-.jpg:large

Ctc_NPEWYAA7om8.jpg:large

Ctc-40aVMAADVU-.jpg

InXile Entertainment ‏@Inxile_Ent 1m1 minute ago

It's true: #wasteland3 is coming! Revamped combat, vehicles, and a frozen campaign for both solo and multiplayer! Back us @PlayFig Oct 5!

Interesting - not using Kickstarter this time.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/28/13...ent-fig-kickstarter-crowdfunding-release-date

Wasteland 3 will have multiplayer, XCOM-style cinematic camera

After several wildly successful Kickstarter campaigns, InExile Entertainment is ready to launch its next project. The pitch for Wasteland 3, the sequel to Wasteland 2, is ambitious. While the game itself promises to be a bit shorter at 50 hours, the graphics and the feature set will be significantly beefed up. We spoke with studio head Brian Fargo last week to get more details.

Wasteland 3 will be true to the series' roots, allowing players to create a small party of characters and lead them through an isometric role-playing game in the classic style. It will tell the story of Team November, a group of Rangers sent on a mission to Colorado in the aftermath of a global nuclear apocalypse. In the opening sequence of the game, Fargo says, players will be stranded far from civilization and have to fend for themselves. Their biggest challenge early on will be staying alive in the sub-zero temperatures.

But, while many of the game’s systems should feel familiar to fans of the series, Fargo says his team is including bold new features that move the franchise into uncharted territory. First on the list is multiplayer, with both synchronous and asynchronous play.

Up to two players can each field a unique team of Rangers. When those teams are close together in the game world they’ll be able to take part in the same turn-based skirmishes. But when they’re apart, each player will have their own chance to move the campaign story forward, at times leading to a cascade of unintended consequences for the other player.

Players will be able to play with a friend or with a random match from the community. Most importantly, Fargo said, they'll be able to break the multiplayer connection at any time. It's essentially an eject button that diverts your game's timeline from the timeline of whomever you're connected to.

InExile has also teamed up with Brotherhood Games, which is comprised of brothers Christopher and Nic Bischoff. While they’re also working on the Stasis and Cayne isometric adventure games, fans might recognize their work from a few clever experiments that showed Fallout 4 and BioShock Infinite from an isometric perspective. With their help, InExile intends to bring a new level of graphical polish to the wasteland.

"It looks great. It’s lightyears above where Wasteland 2 was, and it’s all in-engine," Fargo said. "The other thing is that it’s great for conversations, a la Fallout 4. The camera is going to come down and you’re going to see and hear people speaking their lines, which really helps drive the immersion.

"We’re going to break from the isometric for conversations, and we’re also going to break from the isometric in other areas where we think we can dial up the drama. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a good example, where you can zoom in on something and cut to the creature shattering through a window and then go back isometric."

InXile Entertainment will launch a fundraising campaign for Wasteland 3 on Oct. 5 through the Fig equity crowdfunding platform, where Fargo sits on the advisory board. Fig allows for rewards-based crowdfunding alongside investment, and Fargo says the campaign will be open to both accredited and non-accredited investors.

Dalibor68

Banned
Holy moly that looks amazing. I take it they have a new engine? It's still full 3D though, right?

The last screenshot reminds me of Stasis (and that developer guys' beautiful art in general).

*edit* Oh thats why lol:

Additionally, we’ve been working closely with Christopher and Nic Bischoff of Brotherhood Games, the team behind the widely celebrated STASIS and Cayne isometric adventure games. In fact, they’re responsible for the beautiful prototype screenshots and video you’ve seen so far!

jett

D-Member
In the announcement for Wasteland 3, inXile said they’d be helping fund the game via crowdfunding on Fig, where they hope to raise $2.75 million.

Did Fig solve its legal issues? If not, I'm not sure why devs are using it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
via Kotaku
Full press release in the link.

I'm more than a bit wary on the 'home base' aspect, given how relatively poorly Pillars of Eternity's was, but everything sounds great, and to be fair, the description of the base sounds like it'll matter a fair bit more.

Though I'm still curious on how they plan to integrate asynchronous multiplayer and have the world states 'mesh up'. That'd take some finangling.

edit:

In the announcement for Wasteland 3, inXile said they’d be helping fund the game via crowdfunding on Fig

Whelp, there goes that. :(

Krakn3Dfx

Kickstarted Wasteland 2, no regrets, ended up being an excellent title. Even double dipped on the PS4 version later.

Glad to see they did well enough for another sequel. Screenshots look amaZing.

mclem

WAAAAY behind given all the vast majority of crowdfunded RPGs around right now, but still interested. I'll probably fund... and then maybe play it in 2025.

Man... i finished wl2 dc and that game still was a buggy af tour through jank city. So "eh." it still makes me worry for Numenera. While those screens look damn good, gonna have to wait and see if inXile learned anything first.

here's hoping they show that they've improved as much as harebrained schemes did.

StereoVsn

Not to my knowledge, unless we count CliffyB footing the funding in the interim as a solution.
So if FIG is still having legal issues how are they planning to raise $2.75 mil there I wonder. To be fair, they probably wouldn't have gotten that through Kickstarter.

Recall

Wasteland 2 kicked my ass, I found it very challenging to the point I never finished it but the genre really could do with more games and I'm interested in what they change or improve with Wasteland 3.

jett

D-Member
Not to my knowledge, unless we count CliffyB footing the funding in the interim as a solution.

Then I don't get why inXile is using it, since the problem was that they couldn't access the funds they had accrued, wasn't it.

YES, I'm definitely in! Despite the middling reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed Wasteland 2 (I only played it when the Director's Cut came out, which was probably a good thing).

To be honest, I liked Wasteland 2 more than Pillars of Eternity. The individual scenarios were just more interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Then I don't get why inXile is using it, since the problem was that they couldn't access the funds they had accrued, wasn't it.

Brian Fargo was one of the founders of Fig, so presumably he wants to keep the platform going so that they can keep siphoning 10% of all game sales in perpetuity or whatever.

OmegaX

I didn't know Fig had legal issues. No wonder I haven't heard about it in a while. Well, that's one more reason not to use that platform.
inXile should use Kickstarter this time too.

Tagyhag

Never played the first one but I highly enjoyed the 2nd one.

Not using Kickstarter is very weird though, hope it pays out for them.

Also put me in the boat of unsure how to feel about fig, but inXile has been doing good work and I'd like to support this. We'll see. I have some reading to do.

Donos

screens look really great but W2 for PS4 was a huge disappointment technicalwise. Sold that after 10 hours.

I dunno about Fig being used by enough people for that funding goal and for a sequel to a game with a mixed reception, but I do wanna put into this one as it sounds a lot more ambitious than the second game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

They've basically solved the issue -- before each game was its own company and there was an additional regulatory hurdle associated with that. Now all investment will into a working capital pool for Fig which will disburse to developers accordingly. IIRC this is what everyone was telling them to do to avoid the headache to begin with.

Justinh

I bought the second game twice now (Steam Early Access and Xbox One) but still just keep forgetting to play it. I'm pretty interested in 3 now, though lol...

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed Wasteland 2 even though it was very buggy. Can't say I give a shit about co-op but if the game is as fun as Wasteland 2 I'm in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They've basically solved the issue -- before each game was its own company and there was an additional regulatory hurdle associated with that. Now all investment will into a working capital pool for Fig which will disburse to developers accordingly. IIRC this is what everyone was telling them to do to avoid the headache to begin with.

I remember them doing large structural updates, but unless I misunderstood the article, they still had to actually get that part through the SEC and successfully collect on the non-accredited pledges, right?

How did the PS4 version of Wasteland 2 turn out? I've thought about picking it up sometime.

The screens for this look gorgeous.

Anno

Man those screens look amazing. Hopefully that's actually representative of the final game even a bit. Despite being kinda meh on Fig I'll be there day one because I want all the isometric party based crpgs I can get.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Oh heck yeah! I loved Wasteland 2 on PC and I'm definitely looking forward to this.

dude

dude
Man... i finished wl2 dc and that game still was a buggy af tour through jank city. So "eh." it still makes me worry for Numenera. While those screens look damn good, gonna have to wait and see if inXile learned anything first.

here's hoping they show that they've improved as much as harebrained schemes did.
I've played a little with Numenara"s beta. It's very buggy and very janky. IX are not the best when it comes to polishing stuff up, and I don't expect that to change.

Top Bottom