• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 announced (co-op, base, Tides writers, PC/XB1/PS4, $2.75M Fig funding)

Lorcain

I helped kickstart Wasteland 2 the day they started accepting pledges because of how much I loved playing the original. Unfortunately, they didn't capture that same magic in their reboot of the franchise. That's not to say Wasteland 2 wasn't enjoyable to play for me, it just didn't live up to what I was hoping it would be.

I was surprised by how janky and unpolished it was, which took away from some decent story telling. I'm hopeful that they can raise the bar (a lot) for Wasteland 3. I'm not going to jump on the funding train this time, but I'll be there at release if they game is good.

Lanrutcon

YES, I'm definitely in! Despite the middling reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed Wasteland 2 (I only played it when the Director's Cut came out, which was probably a good thing).

To be honest, I liked Wasteland 2 more than Pillars of Eternity. The individual scenarios were just more interesting.

Same. D:OS was my GOTY, but Wasteland scratched a lot of itches.

Wow, graphics can get so much better when you're not limited by PC hardware.

e9d.jpg

1/10, try harder next time.

I wonder if they are ditching the 3D isometric perspective and moving towards a highly detailed 2D isometric perspective similar to older Fallout games. Having the developers of Stasis handle the graphics makes me doubt this is 3D. I'm not sure how I feel about that. However, I can't deny that it looks gorgeous.
Their new engine uses 3D models and scans and all that. Check out the screenshots for Cayne and Beautiful Desolation

Durante

Of all the renaissance CRPGs Wasteland 2 might be the one I'm least enthused about, the one thing which makes me consider backing this (rather than just waiting for the release) is the coop support.

Wasn't it explained in the past, that different teams perform different functions on each game? So a good portion of the team that was working on Tides is now done, and will now just move over to WL3.

Anyways, I am in, Loved WL2.

I hope they get all those KS backers to migrate to Fig. People are creatures of habit.

Sou Da

Of all the renaissance CRPGs Wasteland 2 might be the one I'm least enthused about, the one thing which makes me consider backing this (rather than just waiting for the release) is the coop support.

Eh, I argue that the one of the biggest advantages of crpgs over traditional rpgs is the ability to play them completely alone.

Also co-op exclusive quests is a turn off.

Decado

Hopefully they just stick with the hardcore isometric pc RPG style. Cool that it is coming to consoles as long as it doesn't influence the design.

That crowd funding target is a bit much and fig...ugh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I personally loved Wasteland 2, but I feel a lot of people are really negative about that game. I worry they won't reach that funding target, especially on FIG of all places.

Fingers crossed, cause Wasteland with D:OS style co-op sounds sublime to me.

Durante

Eh, I argue that the one of the biggest advantages of crpgs over traditional rpgs is the ability to play them completely alone.

Sure, but you can play Divinity:OS completely alone and it's great. Then you can play it in co-op and it's even greater.

I do agree that co-op exclusive quests seem superfluous, especially since you can control multiple characters anyway in party-based CRPGs so I see no unique gameplay that can't be implemented in single player.

Carroway

Sweet! I loved Wasteland 2 and it was a fantastic companion piece to Pillars of Eternity.
Even though the first half of the game was slightly drab the second portion really lets it shine.

So yeah.. I guess im backing this one also.

Wasteland 2 was a pretty big let down for me. The game was janky as hell, subpar story, world felt flat.

But the third sequel with cold, frozen wasteland setting reminds me of Metro series and it already looks interesting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Nowhere in the polygon article, kotaku article or press release is there any mention of coop exclusive content? Where are you getting this from, link please.

EDIT: ^ If you read the polygon article, that is referring to the fact that in coop you can travel independently of one another and one player can do quests and create situations away from the other. It doesn't sound at all like there is actual coop exclusive stuff.

Love the prototype shots and love the snowy setting, am skeptical it will look anywhere near that good when running.

I never actually finished W2 despite pouring dozens of hours into it (just got burned out on quest jank and combat eventually), but I'll back this.

Not particularly happy about the multiplayer aspect but... what can you do
by Not having it
I mean isn't the solo play enough?

Sou Da

Nowhere in the polygon article, kotaku article or press release is there any mention of coop exclusive content? Where are you getting this from, link please.

EDIT: ^ If you read the polygon article, that is referring to the fact that in coop you can travel independently of one another and one player can do quests and create situations away from the other. It doesn't sound at all like there is actual coop exclusive stuff.

I hope you're right.

Durante

Damn. Why do I get the feeling they are just trying to shoe-horn in a bunch of crap as a knee-jerk reaction the the success of DOS?
It does seem quite reactive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

We have lots of party-based RPGs now but still exceedingly few which support coop.

Decado

It does seem quite reactive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

We have lots of party-based RPGs now but still exceedingly few which support coop.
I like coop, but they really need to do a good job of it and not let it fuck up the single player. I played through DOS in coop and really enjoyed it because of the combat system. But that is all...much text was skipped and the storyline can take a backseat when playing with others, I find. No way I would have played it in coop if the combat system wasn't as strong.

Combat in W3 needs to be amazing. It was solid in W2, but not good enough to make it work in coop. IMO.

Memory

Looks great but the gameplay and jank of Wasteland 2 prevented me from completing it. I'll add it to the maybe list but not interested in funding it.

Rad-

Holy shit that looks 100 times better graphically than 2 (though 2 was pretty ugly). Really liking the look.

Are they sure they'll be able to collect the investments? It's been almost a year without SEC approval on Psychonauts 2, not to mention the Jay & Silent Bob game and Consortium 2.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely interested. Those screenshots look great.

dude

dude
I wasn't a fan of multiplayer in Divinity, and I doubt I'll like it in Wasteland 3. I don't mind some content being made specifically for multiplayer though, it's hard to create a CRPG experience for multiple players, and I think hand-crafting these sorts of experiences exclusively for multiplayer is essential in making them good. I just hope the balance is right.

Honestly, what worries me mostly is the details - What changed are they bringing into the combat system? Will dialogues not suck this time? Will NPC companions take a more prominent role? I really wish they'd show more details and maybe gameplay footage in their Fig campaign.

I dunno, I think I was cool with funding Wasteland 2, Torment and Bard's Tale, because the company had just gotten Wasteland 2 out. At this point, unless W2 was a flop and I didn't hear about it, I am far less enthused about funding the title. I liked W2 a lot but it was a buggy mess at launch, and I felt I would have been better off waiting on the game to play it a year later when the GOTY edition came out. They had a publishing deal, they have shown that the games can succeed, I do not see why they need to crowdfund their next title at this point.

The FIG stuff just adds to it. It feels a lot sketchier to me when the guy asking for funding is also one of the owners of the crowdfunding platform. It, along with not being happy with Broken Age is one of the reasons I didn't fund Psychonauts 2. That and Torment is taking forever. It really seems like Obsidian is the only one of the early major Kickstarter companies that doesn't seem to be trying to milk its fans. They could just as easily go down Kickstarter, but they want more cheese. That's their perogative, and aI get the motivation, but I sure as hell don't like either the message it is sending, Essentially it looks like InXile wants to crowdfund into perpetuity.

I mean look at Harebrained Schemes, they asked for 1/4 of their original goal for their sequel, which was less ambitious to be sure, but it also came out on time, and when they Kickstarted it, it was simply to add more stuff. PIllars of Eternity wasn't bugged to hell on release, or at least not to the level that Wasteland 2 was, and I don't recall them asking for funding for their expansion packs either.

To be fair, I think Fargo has done a better job than say Shaffer, but they will very much have to convince me this time around.

Lister

Banned
I enjoyed Wasteland 2, despite it's many flaws and dated graphics.

Then I played the remastered version for consoles wiht gamepad support and the UI took a huge dive for the worse. Even the camera just didn't feel right.

So I worry about the UI. Happy they are willing to invest in a better game engine.

Will almost certinaly be picking it up, assuming good info comes out as they work on it.

I just hope they make the text bigger. I was really excited when 2 came to the PS4 yet the text was so insanely small it made the game completely unplayable.

I never imagined I would see someone got fatigue from CRPG in these days lol

Believe me, it's the best kind of fatigue, but it's honestly less to do with not even liking them, and more about not having enough hours in the day. Back when I worked part time and I was single? Shit, sign me up. These days...I like to game, but I think I'm in a better place, even if I don't have as much time for games like this. I'm just glad we have a PC Gaming environment where this can even be a thing again.

Volodja

I'll be there day 1, I guess, but the coop kind of makes me pause.
Wasteland 2 was definitely not the coop kind of game for me.
We'll see how it will develop.

Still disappointed in them pursuing tactical movement for every battle. Nothing more tedious than moving units for the simplest encounters. I wish they would adapt the first game's approach and make discrete tactical unit orders an option while offering a simpler set of commands when you didn't care or the situation didn't demand micromanagement. I miss the simplicity of grinding out phase-based combat from the original and wish they'd have considered a WeGo-like system for tactical maneuvers that require all of the individual ordering.

BruinsMtB

Banned
Their new engine uses 3D models and scans and all that. Check out the screenshots for Cayne and Beautiful Desolation

In Bischoff I trust. STASIS is one of my favorite purchases in recent years, such a twisted game. I wasn't a big fan of Wasteland 2 but with him on board I'll give them another shot.

Dsyndrome

I'm down, Fig or not. Really hoping like others that there's no coop-exclusive quests and that it's just player actions on either side affecting outcomes.

Liking just about everything about the game itself so far. Brotherhood on the visuals especially. Stasis was such great eye candy the whole way through, even if the story/VA left a bit to be desired.

Top Bottom