• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

Like i pointed out, besides one of the guys playing Mario Kart in the Van hitting the top right part of the controller with the index finger, at 2:32 - 2:33 in the video i think there's visual proof of the L Shoulder. When the girl with the short hair passes the controller to the blond one, there's a clear rectangular shape coming out of the frame. Someone can take a capture and zoom in for full confirmation.

i remember in one of the old threads discussing this with FourthStorm, about the inclusion of the L and R shoulder buttons for multiplayer SNES style and how uselful it would be if Nintendo was willing to eat the costs for a feature that would only be accesible in special situations. It seems the Eurogamer source was right on the money about how important the feature turned out to be.

Another think i remember in the old threads was when the rumors about fragmented Dpad where mentiones and people were split about the veracity of it. Seems does of us that believed for it to be separated to retain parity when in multiplayer, were correct with the asumption.

So is the joy-con grip accessory really an accessory? I'm trying to figure out if that's included in the box or if you'll have to hold the joy-cons like two Wiimotes unless you buy it.
One reason it might not be an optional accesory is because how much big of a deal Nintendo is making out to be about the Switch been an actual console. Having the ability to attach each half to form a traditional 2 handed controller is a big part of the illusion. And if this grip doesn't include an extra battery it would be rather cheap since it only seems to have LED battery indicators.

Better ergonomics.
It seems the ergonomics are equal when the grip is used to attach both halves, i guess the Dpad preference is what will make the difference here.

Eusis

Lots of systems have had offset sticks. The GC and the entire Xbox line
It was something that would've been nice to see kept from the Wii U as a way to distinguish itself and because it does have arguable benefits. Hopefully if they don't just abandon VC this time they go and release a "classic" controller too.

Keratay

Neo Member
Would be pretty neat to use the inner bumpers as paddle/grip buttons while playing single player with the controllers off the screen. Especially if you can get that on PC too with some input mapper.

Like i pointed out, besides one of the guys playing Mario Kart in the Van hitting the top right part of the controller with the index finger, at 2:32 - 2:33 in the video i think there's visual proof of the L Shoulder. When the girl with the short hair passes the controller to the blond one, there's a clear rectangular shape coming out of the frame. Someone can take a capture and zoom in for full confirmation.

Two things,

1) We can't take the actions they're doing as representative since they actually aren't playing a game in these. They're simulating actions and then the game footage is composited in later.

2) The rectangular shape you see is what slides into the tablet to hold it in place.

bman94

Eh, I really like the Stick and button layout of the WIi U pro controller. It was the only symmetrical analog stick layout that I liked.

Two things,

1) We can't take the actions they're doing as representative since they actually aren't playing a game in these. They're simulating actions and then the game footage is composited in later.
That's how commercials tend to work, yes. Sometimes they even use Blue screen attached to the product so at the edit phase they have more flexibilty on what to show or even for future use of the filmed image. Why do you think im oblivious to this fact?

2) The rectangular shape you see is what slides into the tablet to hold it in place.
i didn't know we had the exact details on how the sliding and fixating mechanism works. Please share the process as it would be interesting to know Marty.

The reason i made the observation is because in the scenes, the actors are holding the index fingers in the exact places where the rectangular shaped parts are coming out from the device frame. And one of the first things i was looking for is to see if the users were pressing some sort of release to detach the controllers, but i couldn't notice anything.

Unless the Shoulders works both as buttons and the secure mechanism?. Which would be a damn cool engineering trick.

AtomicPumpkin

Neo Member
i didn't know we had the exact details on how the sliding and fixating mechanism works. Please share the process as it would be interesting to know Marty.

The reason i made the observation is because in the scenes, the actors are holding the index fingers in the exact places where the rectangular shaped parts are coming out from the device frame. And one of the first things i was looking for is to see if the users were pressing some sort of release to detach the controllers, but i couldn't notice anything.

One of the stills I saw from the video seemed to show a little button right next to the right trigger - maybe that's the release mechanism???

My only concern is the asymmetrical placement of dpad and face buttons. I don't really care about the sticks. I can play on any layout but when the position of the dpad and face buttons is assymetrical, I don't like that

Shit just realized it doesn't really have a dpad lol still though, their "pro" control has the layout I'm referring to

Please tell me they use internal rechargeable batteries and not imbecile AAs or AAAs

It'll have a rechargeable but why are you so against AA/AAA batteries. Modern rechargeable like eneloops last a very long time. My DS4 vs XB1 battery life isn't even comparable

Joyful

the sticks are asymmetrical because if they weren't one controller would be backwards when removed
this way they can stay the same pretty much

Kansoku

To me there's two obvious depressions in this black bar on the side/top of each controller part. They could be used for the lock mechanism AND serve as buttons.

L0Q7mUb.png

The lock mechanism would be pushed back when you press the small circle button on the back near the triggers (see it on the video at 2:32)

massoluk

Banned
Understandable why they made it this way, but I hope optional L joycon with proper dpad is available for purchase. A shame that scrollable shoulder buttons didn't make it

mugwhump

REALLY hoping each joy-con has WM+ motion-sensing hardware. I feel like that would go a looong way towards recapturing some of the multiplayer success they found with wii sports. How much does a gyro+accelerometer (or whatever they're using nowadays) cost? Surely it can't be that much. Pretty sure the wiimote's accelerometer was below $10 in 2006.

Nerrel

EDIT: Checking the trailer, the Splatoon players pick up a Pro controller before playing. Either they added a boring old dual analog scheme to appease complainers, or that confirms that gyro controls are in for the Pro. Hard to tell.. the camera movement looks like analog stick jerkiness, but no one is ever using the right analog when the controller is shown. https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI?t=2m45s

Really disappointed by staggered sticks... the upper right stick was really comfortable to use on the Wii U Pro. If it actually has gyro controls this time that will make up for it... if not, I worry about whether there will be a decent way to control this system. I'm not really interested in a 360 pad clone (Splatoon would suck without gyro), and I don't think the default controller looks comfortable to use at all... that D pad seems like junk. The rumors of a split Sony style D pad would have been much better than this.

Has it even been confirmed whether the joy-con controllers have full motion? It looked like someone was slashing Skyward Sword style at one point in the video. It would be really cool to have that back- like a fully wireless Wiimote+nunchuck but with a right analog and fully conventional button array. Losing the IR camera is a big setback, though.

REALLY hoping each joy-con has WM+ motion-sensing hardware. I feel like that would go a looong way towards recapturing some of the multiplayer success they found with wii sports. How much does a gyro+accelerometer (or whatever they're using nowadays) cost? Surely it can't be that much. Pretty sure the wiimote's accelerometer was below $10 in 2006.

Probably not much, but without the IR camera + sensor bar to calibrate it would definitely need a magnetometer, and even then it still wouldn't work particularly well for shooters (Move didn't). At least, not in the same way the Wiimote did.

mugwhump

EDIT: Checking the trailer, the Splatoon players pick up a Pro controller before playing. Either they added a boring old dual analog scheme to appease complainers, or that confirms that gyro controls are in for the Pro. Hard to tell.. the camera movement looks like analog stick jerkiness, but no one is ever using the right analog when the controller is shown. https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI?t=2m45s
Splatoon already had dual-analog controls :p

Probably not much, but without the IR camera + sensor bar to calibrate it would definitely need a magnetometer, and even then it still wouldn't work particularly well for shooters (Move didn't). At least, not in the same way the Wiimote did.
The Wii U gamepad didn't have a magnetometer, did it?

I'd be surprised if nobody else has done this, but I haven't seen it so: visual comparison of sideways wiimote and joy-con at what should be near accurate scale going by Ars Technica's Switch calculations. I tried to put things at 100 pixels/inch, but I'm sure things aren't totally perfect. Like I'm not sure if Ars's length measurement is for the main body plastic or includes the slight extra of the shoulder button. Buuuut pretty close.
hoF7pEC.jpg

YBdisk

I get the d-pad hate but why aren't any of you concerned about the left stick placement. It looks like it's going to get flicked around by accident because it's exactly below the face buttons. Especially with people that use the middle of their thumb to roll over/press buttons (like me).

Edit: Seems I already posted this a few pages back. I need to chill.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm fairly interested in the nx but i'll wait for a left joycon with a real dpad and analog on the bottom.

Alpha_eX

Skyrim wouldn't be playable on the plane as shown, you'd drop the right joy-con trying to use the second analog and face buttons. Nice for Mario though.

Devil

Sorry if it was already discussed:

If I remeber correctly, there was a rumor/patent about the Joy-Cons pre-reveal stating that they possibly have no electrical parts at all inside of them and that button presses would be recognised by some IR and mirror device inside of the tablet or grip controller.

Since the trailer shows people playing with the Joy-Cons detached from any other hardware, this rumor must be false, right? It would also mean that each Joy-Con needs its own battery.

I'm a litte concerned about that.

Tillbo

If the device does have touch screen could the Joycon Grip piece have a touchpad like the PS4 controller?

If touchscreen was only used to navigate the OS etc. then this could work?

Has it even been confirmed whether the joy-con controllers have full motion? It looked like someone was slashing Skyward Sword style at one point in the video. It would be really cool to have that back- like a fully wireless Wiimote+nunchuck but with a right analog and fully conventional button array. Losing the IR camera is a big setback, though.

i guess there's some hope still. If we think about it:
  • A by know industry standard feature of portable screens: "touch sensitivity", is completely abscent from the video. And is hard to see how the screen won't be touch capable.
  • The trailer is focusing in one target demographic, the one that is far more detached from Nintendo and alternative type of controls.
  • There's no way Nintendo will not target the kid and family markets.
With the 3 above considerations one can speculate that will get 1 or 2 more trailer/information dumps that will focus on motion controllers (kids/family) and mobile style gaming with touch controls.

To me there's two obvious depressions in this black bar on the side/top of each controller part. They could be used for the lock mechanism AND serve as buttons.

L0Q7mUb.png

The lock mechanism would be pushed back when you press the small circle button on the back near the triggers (see it on the video at 2:32)
Just 4 posts above you there's a post with the exact same information and speculation highlighted, maybe you are a bit sleepy XD

I just thought since Laura said there will be different swappable joy-cons- what if there's one with the scrollable wheel at the top?!

Sulaco

One glaring flaw of the joy cons is the positioning of the sticks directly above or below the action buttons. There is a reason why most controllers position these two control methods diagonal to each other. The thumb moves like the hand of a clock going from 9 to 12 - it doesn't move from 6 to 12 easily for me at least.

GoldStarz

Are there any rumors or reports that Nintendo might make a more ergonomic-friendly version of the Joy-Con controllers because as of right now, I think I'm gonna be passing on Nintendo games for the next gen it looks that bad for me.

Maiar_m

The Joycons (god that name is bad) are only cramped if you intend to do a lot of multiplayer with them in horizontal mode, aren't they? I'm fairly sure they're just meant as a "bonus" use case but you're free to play multiplayer with two pro controllers all the same.

Are there any rumors or reports that Nintendo might make a more ergonomic-friendly version of the Joy-Con controllers because as of right now, I think I'm gonna be passing on Nintendo games for the next gen it looks that bad for me.

No? If they thought it wasn't ergonomic they would've adjusted it to start with

Rodin

I'd hope that both the Joy-Con (god that name is good) and the Pro Controller have gyroscopes.

EDIT: apparently Emily said that motion controls are back. Hope she's right.

lazyguy

I'm pretty happy with the console itself as long as it's "transformations" go half as smooth as in the trailer.
And controller wise, I look at it and think it looks awkward but hey, they made the Wiimote and nunchuck and the Wii U pad work so...
Then again they did make the N64 and Gamecube controllers. But that's from an era long gone so I have confidence they will make it work and not feel as awkward as it looks.

Metal B

http://i.imgur.com/L0Q7mUb.png

I thought the same, while seeing the trailer, and it looks really like it. I was wandering, how you could play NBA with only the face buttons, but this would make a lot of games possible. A cleaver solution. This would make playing Smash Brothers actually possible (R to Shield and Y to Grab) with only the Side-Controllers and every kind of NES, SNES, GBA and DS game.

One question remains: Can you use those buttons in Wiimote-mode? Technically you could reach both L-button with each index finger.

Veal

Has anyone pointed out that the separate controller halves have L and R buttons on the locking side? That comes as a great relief to me.

Spades

How are AA and AAA imbecile exactly? They are easily replaced and have good rechargable versions these days unlike these internal batteries which to replace can sometimes involve taking apart the whole thing including soldering.

This. Give me AAs and a set of Eneloop Pro's all day. Can't stand having to plug my controller in to charge it.

Koren

How much does a gyro+accelerometer (or whatever they're using nowadays) cost? Surely it can't be that much.
You can buy a 3 x accel. + 3 x gyro MEMS chip for 1-2$. I'm pretty sure it's less than .50c for an hardware maker. Even adding magnetometer wouldn't increase the price much.

Top Bottom