• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo is finally opening its eyes to the wider world of racing games.

Unknown?

It's really silly to not make this the best game in class, if it's not, simply add more to it. GT brand is just too big for 7.5 and 8.0 quality releases and that's what it was going to be at releases, people expect a $60 game to come packed with content, not get update for 5 years

GT3 wasn't packed with content and it wasn't looked down upon for that! Quality > Quantity

Konosuke

I'm very pleased to read about the focus on online racing and penalties but
Kazunori Yamauchi said:
Linear time changes we won't be doing again
Come on...I really hope it's not that set in stone.

Putty

The vacum cleaner whine is still there. (Toned down but still there)

tbh, what it needs is actually dirtying up....more ...movement, little dips and troughs in engine note as the wheels go over little bumps etc etc ...but also other types of nose...gear change mechanical sounds....sound of debris hitting when the car goes off road...

Man, I feel like I played a different GT5 and 6 than everyone else. I loved those gamea, despite their oddities. I liked GT 6 much more than I liked GT 3, even if they took out Seattle.

Gestault

In terms of the audio design, I'd appreciate more nuance in the tire-squeal depending on the alignment of the wheels and amount of grip loss.

Man, I feel like I played a different GT5 and 6 than everyone else. I loved those gamea, despite their oddities. I liked GT 6 much more than I liked GT 3, even if they took out Seattle.

GT6 still had its problems, but it got a raw deal in terms of public perception. It improved a lot, was a more complete package, and even streamlined little things like the install. If 6 had come out as 5, the perception of that series would be completely different.

StereoVsn

Meh, so no offline career mode, barely any offline features. I know a company Sony should talk about marketing such a game. It starts with a "Cap" and ends with a "com". And much like SFV I will buy this for $10-$15 once it goes bomba.

synce

OK some of the screens are legit amazing, but if it takes longer than 10 seconds to load a track then I'll have no problem skipping it like GT5 and 6. Really, just work on the load times and either improve or ditch the immersion breaking 'standard' cars, and I could fall in love all over again with this series

Putty

OK some of the screens are legit amazing, but if it takes longer than 10 seconds to load a track then I'll have no problem skipping it like GT5 and 6. Really, just work on the load times and either improve or ditch the immersion breaking 'standard' cars, and I could fall in love all over again with this series

Standard cars we're never in.

Daffy Duck

Not going to believe anything I read about this game, sadly I do not believe Polyphony have it in them to "get" what GT was and make a modern game based on that.

The Forza series has been going from strength to strength and diversified successfully, GT on the other hand is seemingly almost stuck in third gear and doesn't really know what it is,where it sits or who it should appeal too.

Unknown?

Not going to believe anything I read about this game, sadly I do not believe Polyphony have it in them to "get" what GT was and make a modern game based on that.

The Forza series has been going from strength to strength and diversified successfully, GT on the other hand is seemingly almost stuck in third gear and doesn't really know what it is,where it sits or who it should appeal too.

What's with the shit posting? Forza strength? For a 5 was an embarrassment but 6 really corrected that. Point is it hasn't been good game after game.

Daffy Duck

So I'm not allowed to say how as an avid fan of the series upto 5 that I feel the series has lost its way massively and how Forza has done things right for me and actually been a fun racing experience whereas GT just seems so devoid of fun and the experience of actual racing, it just feels so sterile.

I follow the news of new GT games closely clinging to the hope they give us a good one, they haven't done that.

Right, OK.

Synth

I get it but the constant Forza derails in every gt thread is kind of annoying now.

I get how you feel, and in most cases and most threads I agree.

This one however is basically guaranteed to draw comparisons, because the thread title literally evokes its competition.

GT just seems so devoid of fun and the experience of actual racing, it just feels so sterile.

This is the part that gets me most. As much as I bitch about the sounds I can still live with awful ones (hence still playing GT4) but the latest games feel so numb and slow. There's no sense of speed like I've always said, which you can clearly see in that Dodge Charger video, and the physics just feel so strange and unnatural.

This sounds good. The only think I'm disappointed by is the VR implementation which I hear will be limited. After playing Driveclub VR is going to be hard or next to impossible to go back to a flatscreen racing game. VR racing is just too good.

Hydrargyrus

I wouldn't be so sure.

It's going to bomb even if it's good.
This gen, the driving games are clearly on the way down and the GT franchise is on the way down since the last gen.
And this game is not one of the main series or numerated series...

Sorc3r3r

No dynamic ToD and weather is killing my hype, I can enjoy racings without them but I can't with GT, it's essential in my GT experience now.
I want a huge variety of cars, I want to be able to drive them casually around the 'Ring too, I'm used to these things, i buy GT for those things, honestly the GTS reveal was a huge letdown, they were going backward and focusing on something that should have been on top of the cake not on the center of it, i hope they are really going to give the next installment the GT soul I seek.

But I'm not optimistic about it, would be the 1st GT i don't buy in 20 years.

cooldawn

Still, some influences seem less welcome than others and it's a shame that Gran Turismo has fallen in line with other games this generation - the notable exception of Project Cars aside - in doing away with dynamic day and night transitions. More's the pity given the game's wealth of GT machinery, cars typically showcased in endurance events at Nürburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Bathurst where changing light and conditions are an inherent part of the challenge. It doesn't look like it's something that's about to be rectified any time soon, either. "Linear time changes we won't be doing again," Yamauchi says bluntly when asked about the feature. "We do give a selection of being able to choose times, and we're considering a system when you pit in with the car the time of day might change again."
WTF!

Noooo...that was one aspect that Gran Turismo absolutely nailed. Fine, maybe not for this game but never again! What about dynamic weather?

Shit...this is becoming more like every other racing game now. Balls.

Synth

WTF!

Noooo...that was one aspect that Gran Turismo absolutely nailed. Fine, maybe not for this game but never again! What about dynamic weather?

Shit...this is becoming more like every other racing game now. Balls.

I'm pretty sure that got lost in translation. Ruling out ever having dynamic ToD does not sound like something Kaz would ever mean to state literally. I think he was just stating that GTS won't have it.

Cartho

I just can't get hyped about it anymore. Which is a massive shame as I used to love GT on PS1 and PS2.

I feel like Forza scratches my racing game itch perfectly well, and if I wanted something abit more hardcore I have plenty of options there as well. I'm just not sure GT has a place anymore. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Personally, in terms of racers, I'd be way, way, way, way X 100000 more hyped by a proper modern reinvention of Wipeout but I've got over my grief now and have started to accept the fact that it's never going to happen. :(

Synth

Personally, in terms of racers, I'd be way, way, way, way X 100000 more hyped by a proper modern reinvention of Wipeout but I've got over my grief now and have started to accept the fact that it's never going to happen. :(

Never lose hope... there's a fucking Daytona USA 3 being made right now.

cooldawn

I'm pretty sure that got lost in translation. Ruling out ever having dynamic ToD does not sound like something Kaz would ever mean to state literally. I think he was just stating that GTS won't have it.
That's why I'm so shocked...I too doubt Kaz would consider permanently removing a feature that's reflective of his own experiences.

It's a pretty big mistake. If it's wrong, they should correct it.

Synth

That's why I'm so shocked...I too doubt Kaz would consider permanently removing a feature that's reflective of his own experiences.

It's a pretty big mistake. If it's wrong, they should correct it.

I think it's less that it's "wrong", and more that it's just "unclear". That could very well be a literal translation of what he said... but in that case he didn't use the words "never" or "ever again". It's like my friends asking me if I'm heading out tonight (on a Friday) and I'm like "sure" (this would be GT6 in this flimsy analogy), and then the next night they're all heading out again, and I'm like "nah man... I ain't going out again" (GTS). That doesn't really mean that's I'm not up for another night out the following week (GT7).

After all, he also mentions a potential alternative system (ToD changing when pitting) which would logically be specific to this game, rather than being some new series-wide commitment.

God I can talk so much crap...

Famously Polyphony managed to acquire Forza's previous audio lead last year, and the hire seems to be paying off, the engine notes displaying the personality they've been lacking in Gran Turismo for so many years.
I too was ...well, not impressed, but at least surprised when I heard the AMG engine roar a little in the Paris GTS build, but 2 days ago I found this again:
BMW M6 GT3 at Willow Springs

GTR 2017 at Tokyo Expressway

both direct sound, but off-screen video

...and it doesn't sound anywhere good enough. Where is the transmission whine in the BMW (RL onboard comparison), why do the shifts sound so immediate like there is no rev-matching/syncing going on, the lift-off/down-on throttle sounds are more or less missing. Saying that it's improved... okay, but Eurogamer is praising the sound way too early. Even Forza doesn't sound amazing and this is still far from sounding as good as Forza.

Also ...in the GTR video, the tire squeel sounds a little different I think, but neither in a good or bad way.

Yikes at everything about this video.

The ps1 collisions, the post-apocalyptic track with barely a person to be seen, the reflections running at 1-3fps, the same dumb AI as always, the mediocre sounds.

This game is a mess. They should just pull a Team Ico, skip this gen completely and come back when they have something decent on PS5.

AI's fine. Player car shunts the outside railing on the first corner and veers into AI. Then rear ends an AI driver on the second corner and obstructs the line going into the tunnel.

AI avoids player car for 2 laps, it's a human-like response.

farisr

Linear time changes we won't be doing again
Well looks like I won't be purchasing a GT game again.

Was hoping this was on the board for changes that they'll be making after the delay (along with a more fleshed out, more traditional career mode). Especially after news of the whole thing not being in VR (which is what I assumed was the reason for the downgrade). Not to mention the lighting system having certain tells of being a dynamic one (not prebaked) just set to a specific time.

But yeah with this not in, even a traditional career mode won't get me back for this game.

This honestly became an essential feature for me in these kinds of games after GT5. And is one of the main reasons I haven't bought a Forza Motorsport game since GT5 came out.

Top Bottom