• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo is finally opening its eyes to the wider world of racing games.

bombshell

Read it earlier, good stuff.

Martin Robinson was very disappointed with the state of GT Sport when it was revealed in May, but is now impressed by the improvements shown especially in the sound department.

shandy706

Does that mean a massive car count, type, and track increase....with a career/single player focus?

Or does it mean it's just more polished....(goes to article)

Edit* Hmm, not a lot in the article details wise.

amar212

Gran Turismo Sport have a major obstacle to overcome - a content related to casual and "ordinary" GT player.

Despite I am personaly extremely and primarily intrested into overall online segment and "sport" aspect of the game, the state of content announced back in 2016 was underwhelming.

I think the actual "size" and type of content will determine the succes of the GTS among its ordinary playerbase, that usualy don't care about majority critical points of the vocal minority in various communities, but focuses on the what GT "is" (not what it isn't).

Servbot24

Banned
Sounds good. PD should take their time, as long as it comes out in 2017. This gen only needs one GT game, make it right.

MaDKaT

As a long time GT fan, Ill believe it when I see it. Im personally more excited for the next Forza(7?) game on PC to get my "GT" fix. Even with that, I am finding more excitement in updates and sequels to games like Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and especially Dirt Rally.

muteki

Nice to hear positive impressions (even if mostly fluff), but from what I have seen many of the things I would be looking for in a GT game on PS4 are likely not going to be there. I think I will be waiting for quite some time or need to look elsewhere.

I see lots of similarities between Sport and SFV.

It's really silly to not make this the best game in class, if it's not, simply add more to it. GT brand is just too big for 7.5 and 8.0 quality releases and that's what it was going to be at releases, people expect a $60 game to come packed with content, not get update for 5 years

Falchion

Forza has been miles ahead of GT all generation, hope they can make some positive changes to close that gap.

ps3ud0

All I seem to hear is about the tip of the iceberg and not really what I wanted from a main GT release.

Love GT Sport to prove me wrong but I have so little faith in PD and whatever insular bubble they reside in

ps3ud0 8)

For all the contenders that have come to PC since iRacing's launch in 2008, there's still nothing that comes close to it. There are prettier games, ones with better handling models and certainly ones that don't cost almost as much as the real thing to keep up to date with, but when it comes to online racing this simulator remains in a class of its own.

It's heartening, then, to learn that Gran Turismo Sport is set to employ a rating and penalty system that sounds like it's been lifted wholesale from iRacing, just as it it is to discover that it enforces track limits - as popular a subject as ever in real racing circles in 2016 - in a similar way, asking drivers to give up time should they stray too far from the black stuff. Despite a wealth of contenders the console space is screaming out for an online racing game that's rigidly adjudicated and sensibly structured, and if Gran Turismo Sport can come good on its intentions it may well be able to carve a niche out of its own

Sounds nice.

I played the Demo last year at the Nürburgring 24h race. I already know they nailed the driving aspect, now I have high hopes they don't fuck up the racing aspect.

Does that mean a massive car count, type, and track increase....with a career/single player focus?

Or does it mean it's just more polished....(goes to article)

GT Sport will have a massive Super Premium car count, 400 of them are coming after launch as confirmed by Kaz.

- Open wheelers / karts confirmed
- Senna mode returning

there must be more offline stuff than what they've laid out so far? I wouldn't give a shit about no career mode if the game had a decent arcade mode with a plethora of options for setting up races / championships, this driving mission and online setup is total shit. Fuck off Polyphony.

Synth

Forza has been miles ahead of GT all generation, hope they can make some positive changes to close that gap.

To be fair, that's not a difficult task considering GT hasn't shown up yet.

Honestly though, I'm a bit worried that GTS is repeating SFV's mistakes. Increased focus on competitive play should be additive, not at the expense of content the userbase expects to be there.

Read it earlier, good stuff.

Martin Robinson was very disappointed with the state of GT Sport when it was revealed in May, but is now impressed by the improvements shown especially in the sound department.

That's putting it lightly

Perhaps it's because we've been spoilt by the splendour of Forza Motorsport, already into its second iteration on Xbox One, or Assetto Corsa, which is about to make its console debut later this summer. Gran Turismo Sport, however, looks, sounds and plays just like Gran Turismo 6 on the Playstation 3.

It's a compliment of sorts - Gran Turismo 6 is still, a few years and a generation later, an exceptionally handsome game, and Sport benefits from a solid foundation. Right now, though, it doesn't look to do much with that foundation - to an untrained eye (albeit one that's poured countless hours into Gran Turismo 6) it's hard to tell the difference.

Even more disheartening, it's hard to hear the difference. I tried some of the noisier cars available in the current build, and the GT3 458 Ferrari droned rather than screamed, the Corvette whined rather than rumbling the earth as it does in real life.

We'll find out more over the course of today's reveal event, and hopefully there'll be some more promising signs once we get to speak to Yamauchi himself. For now, though, don't expect to be blown away by the grand old dame of driving games' debut on the PlayStation 4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-19-gt-sport-preview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...g-its-eyes-to-the-wider-world-of-racing-games

"The negative reaction to Gran Turismo Sport's reveal lit a fire under Polyphony, it seems, who've worked hard to move the game on immeasurably since that shaky start. The latest build on hand at a Sony press event last week - even taking into account the fact it's flattered by being shown on the PlayStation 4 Pro - shows a massive improvement in quality."

More at the link.

Game in development shows improvement over time

News at 11

Elios83

Zero concrete stuff, more promises. You may as well skip this article.

How better sounds are zero concrete stuff?Also promises? It's not like the article is a Polyphony PR you know.

Still Polyphony has a long road to fully listen to the requests of their fans.
They need to improve many aspects including collisions.

Game in development shows improvement over time

News at 11

I think many view Kaz and PD as being extremely stubborn and feared that they wouldn't listen to criticism of their game and it would just come out as is. So, I think that's where Martin is coming from. It doesn't mean that they have to go and adopt systems from other racers, but people want them to pay attention to certain advances that other racers make. Whether it be sound, physics, visuals, modes etc.

Be careful where you sport that opinion. You go to EuroGamer with that, and they'll eviscerate you, LOL. :)

I mean, you're right--Forza (and even though it's a different type of game, Horizon) has been smacking GT around since the PS3/XBox 360 days, Forza 5 withstanding.

I really do hope we get back to seeing good GT games, though. Have fond memories of the series from the PSX days.

I wonder if the negative reaction to its reveal is a primary reason as to why the game is out in 2017 instead of this year.

jjonez18

So they are just now seeing how far behind the curve they are? Huh, would have thought that would have been after GT6, 3 years ago.

Lothars

As a long time GT fan, Ill believe it when I see it. Im personally more excited for the next Forza(7?) game on PC to get my "GT" fix. Even with that, I am finding more excitement in updates and sequels to games like Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and especially Dirt Rally.
I don't know I consider the last couple Forza games to be varying in quality from not very good to okay. They haven't got back to the quality of Forza 4. Now the other games you mentioned are all pretty top notch.

To be fair, that's not a difficult task considering GT hasn't shown up yet.

Honestly though, I'm a bit worried that GTS is repeating SFV's mistakes. Increased focus on competitive play should be additive, not at the expense of content the userbase expects to be there.
I don't agree Forza hasn't stayed the quality it should have been since Forza 4. It's regressed imo.

I have high hopes for GT sport since GT6 was so good but yeah focusing on competive play is not necessarily a good thing.

I mean, you're right--Forza (and even though it's a different type of game, Horizon) has been smacking GT around since the PS3/XBox 360 days, Forza 5 withstanding.
Horizon is totally different to compare but you are right those are fantastic.

If they are changing then a big question going forward will be whether they'll start outsourcing. Their car modeling is second to none, but it restricts how many cars they can have compared to other games.

Another question would be are they open to other studios handling the brand for a spinoff? PD has handled every game in the series, including GT PSP when pretty much every other Sony studio outsourced their first party games on the platform.

xrnzaaas

How better sounds are zero concrete stuff?Also promises? It's not like the article is a Polyphony PR you know.

Still Polyphony has a long road to fully listen to the requests of their fans.
They need to improve many aspects including collisions.

I'll believe it when I see it (in this case when I hear it ;)). Especially since we're talking about stuff that's very subjective. You might have different opinion on how the audio has improved in GTS if you didn't play other racing games and entirely different if you've spent a lot of time with Project CARS or Assetto Corsa.

Synth

I don't agree Forza hasn't stayed the quality it should have been since Forza 4. It's regressed imo.

I have high hopes for GT sport since GT6 was so good but yeah focusing on competive play is not necessarily a good thing.

Well, I don't really want to get into comparing Forza and GT here (though I guess the topic title will make that inevitable anyhow). I was just saying that it's easy for Forza to be leading the generation over GT, if there's no GT yet. :p

Looking forward to GT and FM7 going up against each other next year on the upgraded consoles. I haven't bought a 'Sim' racer in a long time so it's nice that there will be some good options.

MaDKaT

I don't know I consider the last couple Forza games to be varying in quality from not very good to okay. They haven't got back to the quality of Forza 4. Now the other games you mentioned are all pretty top notch.

That is fair, granted I feel GT has been stagnating since after 3. Each successor both held back and lost in the minutiae of extra features. 6 took a number of updates and I did eventually enjoy it overall but it still felt very dated and lost. Despite the questionable quality of the latest forza games, they seem to at least attempt to keep up with trends and features(for better and worse) and I find the actual racing to be more compelling. GT needs another '3'. A fresh start with a razor focus on what made the games great. I hope to see that in Sport but we have been through this cycle several times already so we will see.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really wanted to like GT6 after purchasing a new wheel this year, but the lack of AI made races and events feel so dull, especially next to Forza.

Unless that is finally changed, there is no hope I will buy this game.

GlamFM

Banned
Yup. Remember getting called out left and right when I said that the Gamescom demo was rough.

Still hope for the best.

ps3ud0

If they are changing then a big question going forward will be whether they'll start outsourcing. Their car modeling is second to none, but it restricts how many cars they can have compared to other games.

Another question would be are they open to other studios handling the brand for a spinoff? PD has handled every game in the series, including GT PSP when pretty much every other Sony studio outsourced their first party games on the platform.
Still surprised that Sony didnt attempt to pool resources/assets with the other racing-focussed devs they had to attempt to alleviate the costs involved with these games compared to how well they sell (and how long it takes PD to deliver).

GTS needs to be near perfect to even be considered worth all the losses that have happened to Sony first party racing devs especially when the console racing sim market is more competitive than ever.

ps3ud0 8)

BigEmil

Asking the real questions, I agree PD should do both of these

Top Bottom