• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember earlier this year I wanted to venture out to the western part of Virginia because I've never been there as long as I lived here.

But that place is red as hell so I'm good right where I am. It's a damn shame I have to treat the U.S. like a damn MMO. Blue is friendly territory and red is the fuckin Badlands praying that your car doesn't break down and a level ?? monster is nowhere near aggro zone.

I remember earlier this year I wanted to venture out to the western part of Virginia because I've never been there as long as I lived here.

But that place is red as hell so I'm good right where I am. It's a damn shame I have to treat the U.S. like a damn MMO. Blue is friendly territory and red is the fuckin Badlands praying that your car doesn't break down and a level ?? monster is nowhere near aggro zone.

Bruh, it ain't that bad.

Spinluck

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...licals-voted-overwhelmingly-for-donald-trump/

White evangelicals voted for Trump 81-16. The guy who said, grab them by the pussy. So focused on abortion, they forget marriage, sexual assault, pride, bigotry and a ton of others.

I've never felt so disconnected from Christianity.

I went to private school in a mostly white Republican area in Florida, so I have a good chunk my FB made of that.

Not surprised. The amount of hypocrisy is staggering, and they will willfully flush everything out. I have fucking school teachers who hate the word "crap" and consider it profane voting Trump. You can't even reason with them. Amazing that Obama: a clean cut guy, father, husband, and gracious leader of the free world get much more shit from them than Trump.

Basically watched friends that were minorities be told that racism is "their problem" because they choose to see it. And that flag burning Hillary supporters are far worse than anything ever. You fucking kidding me?

These people don't give a shit. They don't give a shit about unborn babies, minority interest, civilly discussing race issues, and so on.

I went to private school in a mostly white Republican area in Florida, so I have a good chunk my FB made of that.

Not surprised. The amount of hypocrisy is staggering, and they will willfully flush everything out. I have fucking school teachers who hate the word "crap" and consider it profane voting Trump. You can't even reason with them. Amazing that Obama: a clean cut guy, father, husband, and gracious leader of the free world get much more shit from them than Trump.

Basically watched friends that were minorities be told that racism is "their problem" because they choose to see it. And that flag burning Hillary supporters are far worse than anything ever. You fucking kidding me?

These people don't give a shit. They don't give a shit about unborn babies, minority interest, civilly discussing race issues, and so on.

The strength of White Supremacy is the hypocrisy it practices, but then accuses others of doing.

Izuna

Banned
I want to apologise.

Until about a couple years ago, I think, I was under the impression that racism was mostly over in western society. Me having a black mother and a black brother, and seeing them live without any issues in England made me think that black populations in other parts of the world shared some sort of blame.

Man, I don't know. I am mixed raced, a little lighter than say Bruno Mars. I don't have a variety of experiences with racism that is obviously directed at me. But since keeping up with this election cycle, since following BLM and the news they address, I am so fucking sorry I ever thought like this. It wasn't even blissful ignorance.

I am so fucking sorry to hear that Trump is President Elect. I am so fucking sorry to hear that Rudy motherfucker Guiliani may be Attorney General.

And now with Trump and Brexit, I'm noticing racism directed towards me, and I see it in the eyes of the black girl I had launch with recently. Hearing that pain and frustration at the bullshit still in this world that people like to believe is a thing of the past while niggas are choked to death by cops and the KKK marches to celebrate their White Supremacy empowerment.

I don't feel like I even deserve to be as angry because I've got to be so blind for so long. I'm sorry for not having a single clue how to improve anything for the lives of others subject to this, and that I can't even help myself through it.

My ex, who is Japanese, is scared as fuck to visit FL for this cruise she wanted to go with me as others who went there are reporting BS that's happening to them. And I feel afraid for her to go alone. I feel afraid to go myself. And I'm the lightest dude in my own family.

I don't know. If I should shut up, I get that. I keep replaying this election result in my head. How we could have been cheering progress and protection from bigotry instead of watching GAF flood with the sort of account-suicide bullshit just because someone wants to express their hate of dark skin.

Fuck this.

I want to apologise.

Until about a couple years ago, I think, I was under the impression that racism was mostly over in western society. Me having a black mother and a black brother, and seeing them live without any issues in England made me think that black populations in other parts of the world shared some sort of blame.

Man, I don't know. I am mixed raced, a little lighter than say Bruno Mars. I don't have a variety of experiences with racism that is obviously directed at me. But since keeping up with this election cycle, since following BLM and the news they address, I am so fucking sorry I ever thought like this. It wasn't even blissful ignorance.

I am so fucking sorry to hear that Trump is President Elect. I am so fucking sorry to hear that Rudy motherfucker Guiliani may be Attorney General.

And now with Trump and Brexit, I'm noticing racism directed towards me, and I see it in the eyes of the black girl I had launch with recently. Hearing that pain and frustration at the bullshit still in this world that people like to believe is a thing of the past while niggas are choked to death by cops and the KKK marches to celebrate their White Supremacy empowerment.

I don't feel like I even deserve to be as angry because I've got to be so blind for so long. I'm sorry for not having a single clue how to improve anything for the lives of others subject to this, and that I can't even help myself through it.

My ex, who is Japanese, is scared as fuck to visit FL for this cruise she wanted to go with me as others who went there are reporting BS that's happening to them. And I feel afraid for her to go alone. I feel afraid to go myself. And I'm the lightest dude in my own family.

I don't know. If I should shut up, I get that. I keep replaying this election result in my head. How we could have been cheering progress and protection from bigotry instead of watching GAF flood with the sort of account-suicide bullshit just because someone wants to express their hate of dark skin.

Fuck this.

I've seen you change and appreciate it man

I want to apologise.

Fuck this.

It's cool, man. I'm just in disbelief that this is happening right before our eyes.

I want to apologise.

Fuck this.

Long as you're finally woke is all that matters.

Numb

It's really fucking draughty in here. Which one of you left the door open again.
Got the grey tag before 300 posts don't worry
I want to apologise.

Fuck this.
violet-excellent-ttt2.png

Nothing like a good ol Facebook roast session to put a smile on my face to end the day. My boy knew better than to show before and after pics of his haircut.

Anyhow, who listening to that new Tribe album?

Nah that was a bullshit link the poster looked for it once people caught on.
See how long it took that person to post the source.

Yea, and they are ethering him in that thread. I know folks are crying for him to get banned, but seeing him trying to dig himself out of the hole is hysterical

Say what you want about the Coli but their ignore feature is A-1

Gaf needs to step it up, I don't need to know if the person I'm ignoring is posting in the thread.

hypernima

Banned
late to the hotepness but i feel like if you are mixed it isnt 50/50 it's 100/100, like how does being mixed make you any less of the race you belong to?

i'm not mixed but i know a lot of people who feel alienated cause of it and it don't seem right.

Say what you want about the Coli but their ignore feature is A-1

Gaf needs to step it up, I don't need to know if the person I'm ignoring is posting in the thread.

Like maybe the name of the person ignored in the thread details or something.

Oh Feenix, you black. Forget what that dude said, you are black. And you are cool as hell.

late to the hotepness but i feel like if you are mixed it isnt 50/50 it's 100/100, like how does being mixed make you any less of the race you belong to?

i'm not mixed but i know a lot of people who feel alienated cause of it and it don't seem right.

I think it just depends where you're born and how your country has shaped their social constructs of race. In America, they made certain to label and oppress every person born of an interracial pairing to the bottom of that racial hierarchy's union with White being at the top and Black being at the bottom. So anything you mixed with Black would always be Black, and what rules and laws applied to Blacks would still apply to anybody mixed race. Therefore an African American identity has been created with a vibrant culture that included all Black people of different shades, facial features, and hair textures regardless if one of their parents were non Black. It's normal for Blacks in America, that I think it may be difficult for other people in different countries to understand. Hell, Trevor Noah, the host of The Daily Show, came to America for the sole reason that he can be Black, because in South Africa he'd only be categorized as Half Caste.

Izuna

Banned

It isn't 50/50 because people aren't looking at you like half a white man. They look at you as non-white.

Now, that doesn't mean a light-skin will be seen as "black" by everyone. TBH "black" shouldn't be a category anyway but w/e ~ some racists have some darkness meter before their racism kicks in. I've seen it first hand where I'm black enough to have it, and other times where I would think a dude is completely legit until I see how he treats a black friend of mine.

I really don't want to name names and shame me for still being friends with them, but there's this Asian person who was scared of black people, and I only found out when we were in a group with my black mate. I was dazed for a while.

tl;dr mixed/light-skin can have it easier in some scenarios, but it's not 50% of the bigotry they suffer

edit: also self-identity can be a huge problem, but that's another topic

It isn't 50/50 because people aren't looking at you like half a white man. They look at you as non-white.

Now, that doesn't mean a light-skin will be seen as "black" by everyone. TBH "black" shouldn't be a category anyway but w/e ~ some racists have some darkness meter before their racism kicks in. I've seen it first hand where I'm black enough to have it, and other times where I would think a dude is completely legit until I see how he treats a black friend of mine.

I really don't want to name names and shame me for still being friends with them, but there's this Asian person who was scared of black people, and I only found out when we were in a group with my black mate. I was dazed for a while.

tl;dr mixed/light-skin can have it easier in some scenarios, but it's not 50% of the bigotry they suffer

Light Skin privilege is what you're referring too. I have no doubt have benefited from it.

and Obama did not have that during his presidency, which I think is the point

he's not light enough to escape being compared to a monkey

Well it's more than just skin tone, facial features play a role as well. For instance I'm almost as light as a White guy, but it doesn't matter because I have thick lips, wide nose, and nappy hair. Barack Obama looks like your average Black American born from 2 African American parents.

What's unique about it?

GAF merely collapses a post, tells you that 'this user is ignored' but you can still see when people quote them.

The Coli completely obliterates that poster from you ever seeing them again, plus hides whatever people are quoting from that poster (it's funny because you see a guy randomly talking shit to someone in the thread, but then you figure out that someone is on ignore). I don't even bother ignoring people here because it's useless if you can still see their dumb ass post when people quote them. Plus the ability to ignore entire threads is a welcome addition, though I barely use it myself since I mainly frequent their wrestling forum.

Izuna

Banned
Well it's more than just skin tone, facial features play a role as well. For instance I'm almost as light as a White guy, but it doesn't matter because I have thick lips, wide nose, and nappy hair. Barack Obama looks like your average Black American born from 2 African American parents.

Yeah, this is true. Fuck, even hairstyle can go a long way. If I get a crew cut, I may as well pick out a darker shade of skin tone for a couple months. Took me a while to put 2+2 together.

Which reminds me. Ben Carson is a piece of shit.

Yeah, this is true. Fuck, even hairstyle can go a long way. If I get a crew cut, I may as well pick out a darker shade of skin tone for a couple months. Took me a while to put 2+2 together.

Which reminds me. Ben Carson is a piece of shit.

Also I can't say that Barack Obama didn't benefit even just a little from light skin privilege. Despite him being brown skin, he still enjoys some privileges over being dark skin. I question Barack's chances if he looked like Wesley Snipes.

As far as Ben Carson is concerned, not everybody lives the shared Black experience in America.

Izuna

Banned
Also I can't say that Barack Obama didn't benefit even just a little from light skin privilege. Despite him being brown skin, he still enjoys some privileges over being dark skin. I question Barack's chances if he looked like Wesley Snipes.

Sad world.

I rate him for overcoming the "issue" with him name. Listening to his earlier (Senator) speeches is inspiring.

Sad world.

I rate him for overcoming the "issue" with him name. Listening to his earlier (Senator) speeches is inspiring.

True, but you gotta keep in mind we were in a recession and coming off a disastrous George Bush presidency which made the country as a whole ready for change. Hillary Clinton would've been elected had she been the nominee, if this magical negro didn't pop out of nowhere and completely derail her.

Man I just read through the last page or two and the thing that's got me shook is immortal getting ready to flex on the hotep. Had me ready to sign out, I ain't about that life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom