• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Maybe not a childhood if they're lucky, but you're going to be treated as a black person as you become and adult by society.

I guess I'm disqualified from posting in here. Damn, hated on by one side because of my Asian father, hated on the other due to my black mother. I just can't win can I?

Kreed

42LM03S.gif

Zekes!

All I know is that I look White even though I'm half. I recognize that because of that I receive white privilege despite my ancestry. My little brother certainly doesn't. He's darker and has an afro. He's literally been called a nigger while walking down the street.

I was actually just having this conversation with my mom because she was mentioning that she wondered if I was so adamant about people knowing I was Black was because I don't look it. My answer was yes, and I explained to her that it would be incredibly easy for me to pass and just be "White". But it's a hell of a lot harder for me to hold on to and celebrate my Blackness. Out here in Canada, at least where I live, it hardly ever feels like we celebrate our Black history or acknowledge we even have one, whereas I've lived and breathed White history my whole life. So for me it's always been important that I hold on to my Black ancestry, and celebrate my Black heritage and to identify as being Black, even if the world sees me as White.

Zekes!

Anyway, who wants to talk Dragon Ball? Who's ya'll favourite Freeza saga character? I'm just waiting for the Ginyu Force to show up in the manga

Young Magus

Can ya'll just report this nigga and be done with it...........shit

Anyway, who wants to talk Dragon Ball? Who's ya'll favourite Freeza saga character? I'm just waiting for the Ginyu Force to show up in the manga

Piccolo.

The token brotha among the Z fighters. His arc during Freeza/Namik saga is pretty good

Dereck

Vegeta, let's get this out of the way he's an arrogant dickhead who got his ass kicked and embarrassed by Frieza and he was also outshined by Goku in the powerlevel department.

But my mans got beat by Zarbon, came back a few days later and killed the boy. Vegeta's body count in the Frieza saga was like 5 people or some shit. Dude killed Dodoria, Recoome, Zarbon, Cui and Jeice I mean the dude just didn't give a fuck and if he didn't need the Dragon Balls he probably would have sent Gohan and Krillin to next dimension.

Dude's father got killed by Frieza, the boy was technically the first Saiyan to ever match Frieza in power (although I'm referring to Frieza's first form).

BLM did just that and all the Democrat candidates did adjust their platforms and policies to reflect some of the things they asked for. And how would you ensure before they get elected...and actually have the power to do anything??

I didnt know about this good on their part now sure how to hold them to it

Order

Vegeta, let's get this out of the way he's an arrogant dickhead who got his ass kicked and embarrassed by Frieza and he was also outshined by Goku in the powerlevel department.

But my mans got beat by Zarbon, came back a few days later and killed the boy. Vegeta's body count in the Frieza saga was like 5 people or some shit. Dude killed Dodoria, Recoome, Zarbon, Cui and Jeice I mean the dude just didn't give a fuck and if he didn't need the Dragon Balls he probably would have sent Gohan and Krillin to next dimension.

Dude's father got killed by Frieza, the boy was technically the first Saiyan to ever match Frieza in power (although I'm referring to Frieza's first form).
Namek Vegeta is the best Vegeta

Holy when he goes Super Saiyan for the first time. That moment when he tells Gohan to leave the planet so he can either Frieza still gets me giddy to this day.

Johndoey

Banned
Bulma brings in the perspective of the (sorta) common woman in that situation i.e shits weird.

Ginyu is alright, guy just wants to mess shit up and stay employed.
He's clearly got the respect of his team.
--
Ya know who's a great villain? Sigma. That reploid had some serious longevity.

Young Magus

Took it to Frieza for a brief time and that was awesome.

Not only that but dude went from "green evil nigga" jr. to having fused with the equivalent of god on his planet.

Also became Gohans real dad too.

Oh come on, at least wait until we get to the part of how all black people should be proud of their Egyptian Moorish heritage.

Naw fuck that,

I ant gonna entertain no half fried hotep ideas in this fuckin thread. Not cutting the bullshit out early is what got the orange shit elected in the first place

Zekes!

Is Piccolo the best black dad in anime?

top 3

and I can't even think of any others

Yo actually reading through the King Piccolo/Piccolo Jr. arcs made me appreciate his character development even more. I always watched the Dragon Ball anime when I was a kid, but had never seen that arc. My memories were always of the Red Ribbon arc

edit: holy shit the ending the last Giant Beastcast was topical, I just got to it

ask the cops who would shoot him unarmed without hesitation then say they felt threatened if he's Black.

ask the women who clutch their purses tighter when he walks by if he's Black.

ask the angry mob who would lynch him 50 years ago if he's Black.

I'm just popping in to say, stay strong brothers and sisters. We've been through worse than this and we'll survive these clowns too. We're never going back into the box that they want to put us in.

Haven't posted in here a while, but I just want to say if ya'll haven't been watching Queen Sugar, ya'll been missing out. One of the best shows on TV.

Damn, just read the last page. Obama blacker than my light ass and I got two African American parents. If he ain't Black, then what the fuck am I? LOL

RedSwirl

In an unrelated note this guy's rant about the new King Kong movie and Spider-man has made it easier to deal with the shit in the past two days.

Watching this right now. I'm at the part where the guy is talking about how the big actors doing these comic book and fantasy movies don't really view these as "real" acting roles or whatever, or don't care beyond making the money. I'd like to see a list somewhere of actors who were genuinely pumped to do certain movies out of pure nerddom.

--Christopher Lee was tight with Tolkien and had planned for decades to do LOTR. Read the books once a year.
--Cumberbach was absolutely pumped to do Smaug because his dad read The Hobbit to him as a kid. Maybe LOTR doesn't quite count as much because British people consider it one of their national epics.
--Eric Bana from what I hear just did 2009 Star Trek because he's trekkie as fuck. Half the cameo actors in there probably are too. Is Star Trek also too mainstream for that discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom