• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

uW3qI9D.jpg

You can question it, but the answer is going to be a yes to black and white posters alike, for the most part. I personally believe he's black. Even if he appeared more white, he's still black.

Why would he be considered white to you, anyway?

You can call him whatever you like. If you got diminish his blackness to keep stumping, so be it.

I don't consider him white , he is a mixed man to me . I think even though he still faces discrimination , he has benefits from having a white mother when comapred to a black man who has 2 black parents.

All people who are considered non white in this country face some type of racism but you could argue we get it worse. His father is African(non african american) and his mother white , he grew up with his white grandparents who were upper middle class? I dont think it would be fair to say he had the same experiences as a black man .

He relates to us more because of the oppression he faced from being mixed and maybe likes our culture .

I think my argument is not trollish and is pretty civil

Dereck

he grew up with his white grandparents who were upper middle class? I dont think it would be fair to say he had the same experiences as a black man
I feel the need to interject right here and say that not every black person has the same experiences growing up.

ReiGun

Tavis Smiley on Bloomberg talking about his white liberal friends and colleagues being broken: "Black people deal with disaster every day. White people are used to winning."

Said this to a friend the other day. Part of being black (or most any marginalized group) in America is, sadly, being used to the abject horror that comes with knowing your country hates you and is trying to destroy you. This shit is new to white people.

I feel the need to interject right here and say that not every black person has the same experiences growing up.

I just don't agree with the media when they call him the first black president . They should say mixed . This isnt colorism , this is someone who comes from a mixed relationship. They should save that title for someone who comes from two black parents.

Most black people dont grow up with well off white grandparents or have access to the things white privilege would get them through their family like Obama.

Well that was random, and I didnt vote for either candidate but im honestly tired of the democratic party. Why do black people who go against the grain get shunned and ostracized so much .

I think black people as whole need to make a list of demands and let both parties know what we need and want and making sure that they will go through with what we asked before voting for any parties candidate.

Sch1sm

I don't consider him white , he is a mixed man to me . I think even though he still faces discrimination , he has benefits from having a white mother when comapred to a black man who has 2 black parents.

All people who are considered non white in this country face some type of racism but you could argue we get it worse. His father is African(non african american) and his mother white , he grew up with his white grandparents who were upper middle class? I dont think it would be fair to say he had the same experiences as a black man .

He relates to us more because of the oppression he faced from being mixed and maybe likes our culture .

I think my argument is not trollish and is pretty civil

In what way is he gaining benefits from having a white mother, while simultaneously facing the same discrimination any other person of colour would?

Your argument is weak. For one, growing up upper-middle class isn't limited to Caucasians in the slightest. My family hovers in that area, am I less Black because my parents work enough that our household income is sitting where it is? Not at all. I have better opportunities, but that changes nothing. Sure, I can buy a lot of things with no remorse, but I also still get carded and hit with racist commentary and actions. I still experience that struggle.

Second? "His father is African (non African American)." There are African posters in this thread. I'm one of them. Numb is one of them. Some new faces who recently entered the form join this list. Are we not Black because we're African, but not African American? We have mixed users, some who even look more white. Are they not Black because of that? All I'm getting from you right now is that you believe Blackness lies in financial struggle, and ancestry rooted in slavery. That's wrong. That's being divisive within our own community. It's also ignoring the fact that African-American's aren't native to America.

Obama isn't less Black because he coulda probably purchased a pair of Jordan's in his youth with no remorse. He isn't even less Black because he's half Kenyan. We can't say he didn't experience the same struggle we did just because he had some privilege. Black don't mean broke.

You're probably not even 100% Black your damn self. Take an ancestry DNA test like others. No one's saying Feenix ain't Black since he's only got 41% of it in him.

Miss me with this.

Loudninja

Well that was random, and I didnt vote for either candidate but im honestly tired of the democratic party. Why do black people who go against the grain get shunned and ostracized so much .

I think black people as whole need to make a list of demands and let both parties know what we need and want and making sure that they will go through with what we asked before voting for any parties candidate.

BLM did just that and all the Democrat candidates did adjust their platforms and policies to reflect some of the things they asked for. And how would you ensure before they get elected...and actually have the power to do anything??

Lucini

Banned
I just don't agree with the media when they call him the first black president . They should say mixed . This isnt colorism , this is someone who comes from a mixed relationship. They should save that title for someone who comes from two black parents.

Most black people dont grow up with well off white grandparents or have access to the things white privilege would get them through their family like Obama.

That's bullshit though. That doesn't make him (or me for that matter, since I grew up with my black family who is middle class) any less black. I can appreciate your civility, but man...the argument itself is bullshit.

Ask any person who opposed the President on racial grounds if he's black. Ask the people holding Kenyan photoshopped witch doctor photos with a bone through his nose. Ask the people who put his picture on their website with his skin color darkened for no reason other than to play up his blackness.

EDIT: Sch1sm brings up a great point regarding African posters and color too. lightskin twin and I are the same complexion, which is fairly close to the yellow end of the spectrum. What makes us less black?

Onemic

So its because he wasnt poor?

So someone that is 100% black and is adopted by white parents doesnt go through the same black experience as everyone else? Or someone from a middle income or higher family doesnt go through the same experience?

The world will see you as black, no matter how much money or white relatives you have.

Also you're talking about America here. Most black people are mixed with white in some way or another.

I warned yall a page back

Sch1sm

Voting for a third party candidate in an electoral system that's two-party is effectively throwing your vote to the Red since those additional parties are left wing in both Canada and the US.

Why's that so hard for people to understand?

In what way is he gaining benefits from having a white mother, while simultaneously facing the same discrimination any other person of colour would?

Your argument is weak. For one, growing up upper-middle class isn't limited to Caucasians in the slightest. My family hovers in that area, am I less Black because my parents work enough that our household income is sitting where it is? Not at all. I have better opportunities, but that changes nothing. Sure, I can buy a lot of things with no remorse, but I also still get carded and hit with racist commentary and actions. I still experience that struggle.

Second? "His father is African (non African American)." There are African posters in this thread. I'm one of them. Numb is one of them. Some new faces who recently entered the form join this list. Are we not Black because we're African, but not African American? We have mixed users, some who even look more white. Are they not Black because of that? All I'm getting from you right now is that you believe Blackness lies in financial struggle, and ancestry rooted in slavery. That's wrong. That's being divisive within our own community. It's also ignoring the fact that African-American's aren't native to America.

Obama isn't less Black because he coulda probably purchased a pair of Jordan's in his youth with no remorse. He isn't even less Black because he's half Kenyan. We can't say he didn't experience the same struggle we did just because he had some privilege. Black don't mean broke.

You're probably not even 100% Black your damn self. Take an ancestry DNA test like others. No one's saying Feenix ain't Black since he's only got 41% of it in him.

Miss me with this.

If he or she has 2 black parents that makes them black . Isnt that how we define it? When I said African(non african american ) I wasnt saying it as a slight to them and they are obviously black . When I mentioned his white grandparents there are certain things that white skin can gain access to that we cant and he had that.

When we say blackness what do we mean by that exactly ? When I say blackness Im thinking of his parents not how he or she acts or just their wealth . Just cause they face oppression like all non white people in this country doesnt makes them have blackness . Yes they have black in them but to me its not the same they are still cool tho and have helped black people a lot.

Srry if i came off wrong ill chill out for awhile. Its just a discussion , isnt it good if we can talk about things that affect the black community .

My mans, let me help you out

nHuanZz.png

Onemic

If he or she has 2 black parents that makes them black . Isnt that how we define it? When I said African(non african american ) I wasnt saying it as a slight to them and they are obviously black . When I mentioned his white grandparents there are certain things that white skin can gain access to that we cant and he had that.

When we say blackness what do we mean by that exactly ? When I say blackness Im think of his parents not how he or she acts or just their wealth . Just cause they face oppression like non white people in this country makes them have blackness . Yes that have black in them but to me its not the same they are still cool tho and have helped black people a lot

Srry if i came off wrong ill chill out for awhile

How would you define a black person with 2 adopted white parents?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I never thought I would have to put somone in the BCT on ignore but there is some high level fuckery going on right now.

this is exactly what I was gonna say

I am not in the place mentally for this nonsense this week

also, is this some weird conservative thing from Fox or talk radio or something?

Because this is the same shit my super conservative family members say about Obama. Like, it's very important to them that he's not really the first black president for some reason.

It's odd.

Walking into work someone (99.99% sure its my boss) wrote Make America Great Again on the white board heading to the office. I wiped that shit off with my hand instantly. That shit basically means fuck off minorities.

Onemic

Black because thats not his or hers biological parents.

So if you think that they go through the black experience like any other black person, why is a mixed person that the world sees as black different? You said its based on perks you get from having white family members and if that were the case it should apply to a black person with white adoptive parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom