• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Li Kao

Thanks! Don't go pouring the compliments on me when I'm not even at the half way point, lol!

The Dark Vengence Chaos Marines are World Eaters. All the extra models are non specific though. I mean, you could still paint them however you wanted. People paint the blood Angels terminators in the Space Hulk game as other chapters and they are dripping with chapter specific imagery.

Hmm, don't tell me that there is anything Raven Guard specific in the Kill Team Box. I'm half-way through an Ultramarine color scheme.

Another survivor/zombivor down. She was pretty rough. Her details are extra tiny. I'm satisfied with her, especially for game board quality. I'm also including a pic of what the zombivor look like in a small group of my zombies. Game play wise, they need to stand out, yet still be zombies. I think I struck the right balance!

7F7786E4-2FD2-4815-9F88-017A96FF19F5.jpg

47EE82AC-2E85-468C-85B5-D79F8CF23831.jpg

2997CA93-3951-41A5-9F88-28BC9B5E3F70.jpg

87623A67-D19F-47FE-A3D2-E6FCFBB0F158.jpg

No basing or blood has been done on any of my zombies. Only when they are all complete will I have a basing day, sealing day, and blood day. I have a few ideas to tie all the bases together but I am really unsure how zombies will have blood applied to them. It will probably be every 5 or so? I'm also not sure how the blood will look on the other colored zombies. It should be ok...

Those zombies are pretty great.

It's going to be a close call for me this month. My mini is all but done, just waiting for one paint I ordered three weeks ago to get here (it's stuck in a courier firm limbo) so I can finish the base. The wait is killing me!

Also, I (too) might have gone a bit overboard for this month. ;)

It's going to be a close call for me this month. My mini is all but done, just waiting for one paint I ordered three weeks ago to get here (it's stuck in a courier firm limbo) so I can finish the base. The wait is killing me!

That would drive me nuts. Kind of like the headless Slaughterpriest that has been sitting on my desk for the past month, silently taunting me lol!

Li Kao

Well, December was Warhammer Quest, the Age of Sigmar starter or the game with the Tyrranid cult (Overkill ?), but I mean, ok GW, it will be Space Hulk.
I will still try to sneak in another game and/or some Thousand Sons, but I won't fucking miss Space Hulk a second time.

Well, December was Warhammer Quest, the Age of Sigmar starter or the game with the Tyrranid cult (Overkill ?), but I mean, ok GW, it will be Space Hulk.
I will still try to sneak in another game and/or some Thousand Sons, but I won't fucking miss Space Hulk a second time.

For purchase, painting, or both? Space Hulk is my favorite game of all time. Great memories from the original and hundreds of hours spent playing it. I love it.

Li Kao

For purchase, painting, or both? Space Hulk is my favorite game of all time. Great memories from the original and hundreds of hours spent playing it. I love it.

Oh yeah, good question. Well, I'm still just a returning hobbyist that never really got some basic moves in order to produce a fine minis. Just tried edge highligthing on an Ultramarine the other day and... but I digress. So the games with minis in my collection like Black Plague or Blood Rage are still safe. A GW game on the other hand, yeah, it would be a disgrace to leave it unpainted. I say that but keep in mind that your are speaking with a man that still have a Space Hulk v2 unpainted T_T
First things first, I'm trying my hardest to finish my Ultramarine kill team before the 25, then all hands on deck for Blood Bowl.

That would drive me nuts. Kind of like the headless Slaughterpriest that has been sitting on my desk for the past month, silently taunting me lol!

I was on the edge! Good thing the paint arrived just yesterday!

Yeah...I added Space Hulk to my Christmas list too.

I don't really have anything for this month's challenge but here's what I finished in November.

I wanted to test out Stirland Mud technical paint before I used it on one of my nicer model bases. Fishing through my pile of unpainted stuff (which is embarrassingly large) I found the Blot Toad that comes with a Seraphon Ripperdactyl Riders kit. Please excuse the random cat hair that seems to have found its way into the picture.

Blot Toad

Got the hang of laying down a layer of mud so I moved onto something I've been wanting to start working on for awhile now - Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth. Especially since Burning of Prospero is now also sitting on the shelf still shrink-wrapped. I'm aiming to paint half of both boxes as Space Wolves and half as Death Guard. Unfortunately, I didn't have a Death Guard transfer sheet and got impatient. I'll swap them out eventually, but for now pretend the Word Bearers imagery is Death Guard. I also magnetized both arms for posing/swapping out.

Contemptor Dreadnaught

And then I went back to trying to get more terrain done. I had a second Baleful Realmgate, Numinous Occulum, Citadel Wood, Balewind Vortex, Magewrath Throne, and a Garden of Morr set all sitting on my "To Do" shelf. The Citadel Wood is like 30% done and will likely be finished for December. Decided to go with the second Realmgate and painted it almost exactly like my other one, but swapping the blue runes/green energy for green runes/blue energy.

Baleful Realmgate #2

It's so cool to see a Primarch showing up in 40k, let alone with a mini and rules. Russ had better be close behind though.

Looking at the statline for Magnus (not counting whatever special rules/psychic powers he has) I'm pretty confident I can deal with that fairly efficiently.

So I kept away from 40k for past 2 editions now, was looking at getting back in with some Killteam but I got the bug and would love to play full on 40k again someday.

So is it true that its kind of a mess? Army build rules are all over the place now and confusing?

All these new books coming out, is a new edition rumored soon? Which sounds like it would be another mess.

Fou-Lu

A new edition is rumoured to come out soon and is supposed to be simplifying the mess we currently have. I'd recommend just playing some Kill Team games or something until things get sorted out.

True story on that chainsaw mini above:

I was 80% done with him and I was really unhappy with the results. I added a brighter green highlight on the shirt, then added the white cuffs/collar, and finally did matching shoes to bring it all together. Honestly, it was the shoes that made the whole thing work. Before that, the zombivor version didn't really have enough distinction between him and the normal zombies, but between the chainsaw and the color in the shoes he ended up just enough to make him pop from the standard zombies.

Hopefully I'll finish my 6th survivor/zombivor tonight.

Leunam

Sorry guys been dealing with some stuff both good and bad. I'll have the challenge post up by the end of the weekend.

Murder of Crowz completed! I painted the box of 15, including bases & blood, in about 1.5hrs. That's about 6 minutes per stand which is pretty great! The bases and blood made an otherwise mundane miniature into something quite sinister. All of them swarmed together is pretty damn cool and they look GREAT on the board.

28291C6E-A33E-4F83-AFE6-8E1FC6A60A5E.jpg

3ED74DE8-2B3B-4BBF-8973-BFBA3A74899F.jpg

I was going to wait and base everything at once, but now I am seriously considering doing the 100ish zombies that I already have painted. It's just busy work, really. I can make a lot of progress fast and truly have my painted zombies "complete". While the simplistic gray bases may seem uninspired, I assure you that they have been left that way in order to look good on the game board. These figures are not meant for display. They will be played with a lot. Of course, I'll still display them as well :)

Li Kao

Your 'simple' bases comment reminded me of a similar thing floating in the back of my head for the last few days about the Blood Bowl ones. Seeing as they have an extra slot to insert a ball in and that at first glance the whole thing is shitty as hell to do with this little thing that I can't put in the slot at first try to save my life, I think the base will have to be quite simple and enduring. I could see the whole thing quickly damaging the base.
Not sure what to do, White Dwarf has some pretty minimal bases shot for the game but even then, I fear the scratching of the little ball on the base.

Woorloog

Banned
Some BattleTech, namely my first painted minis. These don't have varnish yet, more about that below.
Not great photos, i have poor lighting conditions and i've yet to figure out the optimal method and settings for taking pics with my phone.

M8xoaQgl.jpg

aLsiZNjl.jpg

hsj0GJKl.jpg

From left to right: Quickdraw, Catapult, Grasshopper, Cicada.
Plastic miniatures from BattleTech Introductory Box Set and Alpha Strike Lance Packs.
Paint scheme is "generic green" i made up myself. The end result is slightly blotchy and bright enough i think it works best in a jungle.

Primed black, basecoat painted with a mix of goblin green and khaki, added some camouflage green (kind of a semi-wash, i guess?), added olive yellow (with a drop of white) secondary colors to various interesting features, washed with green ink (though the Cicada got experimental black wash on its legs so it ended up looking like it has waded through mud), added black to weapons and jump jets, painted cockpits with metallic gold (all colors from Vallejo Game Colors line).

These don't have varnish yet because i'm not sure how it works (tested on a random plastic army toy tank). Army Painter Matter Spray Varnish. It does not specify how long it takes for it to dry; and i'm not sure if i should spray all sides before letting the varnish to dry or if i should just spray one side and let it dry and repeat the process?

Also, would brushed varnish be something i could use inside? The spray smells terrible so i have to use it on the balcony but there's a bit cold outside.

Your 'simple' bases comment reminded me of a similar thing floating in the back of my head for the last few days about the Blood Bowl ones. Seeing as they have an extra slot to insert a ball in and that at first glance the whole thing is shitty as hell to do with this little thing that I can't put in the slot at first try to save my life, I think the base will have to be quite simple and enduring. I could see the whole thing quickly damaging the base.
Not sure what to do, White Dwarf has some pretty minimal bases shot for the game but even then, I fear the scratching of the little ball on the base.

I agree about those bases. Having the hole is cool in concept, but the fact that other people on the field have a ball molded into the miniature somehow makes it a bit redundant IMO.

You need a distinct, colored ball to make it easy to identify who actually has the ball. Game play trumps all. I think a red squig ball might be best.

From left to right: Quickdraw, Catapult, Grasshopper, Cicada.
Plastic miniatures from BattleTech Introductory Box Set and Alpha Strike Lance Packs.
Paint scheme is "generic green" i made up myself. The end result is slightly blotchy and bright enough i think it works best in a jungle.

Primed black, basecoat painted with a mix of goblin green and khaki, added some camouflage green (kind of a semi-wash, i guess?), added olive yellow (with a drop of white) secondary colors to various interesting features, washed with green ink (though the Cicada got experimental black wash on its legs so it ended up looking like it has waded through mud), added black to weapons and jump jets, painted cockpits with metallic gold (all colors from Vallejo Game Colors line).

These don't have varnish yet because i'm not sure how it works (tested on a random plastic army toy tank). Army Painter Matter Spray Varnish. It does not specify how long it takes for it to dry; and i'm not sure if i should spray all sides before letting the varnish to dry or if i should just spray one side and let it dry and repeat the process?

Also, would brushed varnish be something i could use inside? The spray smells terrible so i have to use it on the balcony but there's a bit cold outside.

You need to keep in mind that the plastic miniatures kind of suck when compared to a really nice sculpt. You will be much more impressed with yourself when you do a better quality miniature. Having said that, these are great for practice and getting a feel for how to paint. You did an admirable job to have these look good on the table.

When it comes to matte spray, don't overthink it. You just spray them once on all sides and you're done. Don't overdo it though. You aren't going to see obvious results and you need to be careful not to overspray. It's almost like a light dusting, if you will. It's a lighter pass than even your primer might get. Brushed varnish is only good for particular, special applications. The matte is used to dull down your shine as well as protect. So something like my bloody zombiecide minis will be painted, based, and then hit with a matte varnish. After the varnish has dried, I apply all my blood so that it always looks wet and sticky. If I put the blood on then varnished, it would be matte too. If you're making something particularly slimy or wet looking, a paint on varnish would be a great way to achieve that look. Hit it with matte spray, then brush a high gloss varnish on only the spots you want to appear wet.

Woorloog

Banned
The (newer) plastic BT minis are pretty good quality but metals are certainly better. Have both kinds, but i'll practice painting with plastics. I got... Uh, 60 of them or so
Besides, i haven't had time to assemble the metal ones yet (nor have i gotten all them in mail yet). Need to consider storage too...

Anyway, varnish. Thanks for the info. I do wonder how the heck i'm going to be able to tell when it is done right. Though i guess it is better to do a too thin coat and then add another?

But i have a serious problem with that spray is kinda unsuitable for use here. It is a tad cold outside (-10 to 0 celsius or so, at least for now) and they're completely unusable inside. I was hoping i could use brush-on for general use inside :/

Li Kao

The (newer) plastic BT minis are pretty good quality but metals are certainly better. Have both kinds, but i'll practice painting with plastics. I got... Uh, 60 of them or so
Besides, i haven't had time to assemble the metal ones yet (nor have i gotten all them in mail yet). Need to consider storage too...

Anyway, varnish. Thanks for the info. I do wonder how the heck i'm going to be able to tell when it is done right. Though i guess it is better to do a too thin coat and then add another?

But i have a serious problem with that spray is kinda unsuitable for use here. It is a tad cold outside (-10 to 0 celsius or so, at least for now) and they're completely unusable inside. I was hoping i could use brush-on for general use inside :/

Afaik you can totally use a brush varnish, it's just one of these tedious process most people prefer to handle with a spray. But a spray has its issues, as you said it stinks and is surely as bad for your lungs as the paint sprays, so you have to be outside or in a well ventilated area.
In my case, I'm not looking to be the strange 38 year old who sprays funny minis on the appartments block garden, so I improvised. Open windows, cardboard box where the minis are sprayed taped to it, and shitty painting mask.
In your case I'm not even sure sprays would be advisable, isn't -10 out of these sort of tools use range ?

Oh, and whatever you do, don't use Citadel varnish...

Woorloog

Banned
Balcony is outside. That's my improvisation. Hope the neighbor doesn't use his balcony much though, think he'd smell the spray...

Weather here is... random. Earlier or yesterday it was -7. Now it is raining snow and about -1.

The plastic tank i sprayed with varnish seems OK, even though i left it outside to dry (was a bit colder but no snow then). Unless the varnish evaporated or something, because i'm not sure i feels any different. Of course, it was a really cheap, plastic toy tank so hard to tell.

EDIT Huh. After scratching the tank's surface with a screwdriver, i realize i managed to apply more or less a perfect coat of varnish. Well, at least it seems i figured out how to use the varnish when i tested it... Still gonna get brush-on varnish, either to use when i have no options or for details that need gloss or something.

Re:Citadel stuff. I've seen some complaints about them, though Citadel paints seem to have mixed reputation, with some praised and some noted as being too thick or something.
The stuff i have is Vallejo (paints) and Army Painter (primer, varnish, general tools).

Repgnar

I've been slowly painting the Skaven blood bowl team and abandoned the ball in the hole concept after getting to the bases. Was going to clear out the sand from the hole after glueing it down but ended up not doing it. I put a clear coat on the whole model then added some flock. Played a game today and would just lay the ball on the base and didn't run into any problems. Haven't gotten around to painting any of the balls but with a clear coat the only thing I would worry about is the flock but I doubt anything would happen.

Leunam

U4QvQGm.png

After completing two challenges with straightforward themes we decided to try a slightly different route this month with a monochrome challenge. Monochrome color schemes have lots of great applications besides just being a good exercise in color theory. Below we have examples that allow for very easy unit identification, unit cohesion along a theme that fits the entire army, and colors that help background items blend into the environment while still bringing a pop of color to your setting.

As I wait for my brother to show up to help with the water heater, here are 3 pics of my completed zombies and how I am storing them. It is actually a display for a baseball bat. The pics are kind of shitty, but damn does it look fantastic in person! Like I said, I'll post better pics at a later date.

F9mDIHW.jpg

L26eChJ.jpg

ctQcuJE.jpg

Skinner zombies will be purple monochrome and seekers will be blue monochrome. There are only 16 seekers, so they really have to pop from the other colors/types of zombies.

StaffyManasse said:
For this months challenge, I give you Hive Fleet Sevastopol. Yes, I got a bit carried away. You can probably guess the inspiration I had for these.

First, a Broodlord:

0OX7FbG.jpg

EnxyEgQ.jpg

2nd, A Zoanthrope

7iHyH9X.jpg

UA6ff49.jpg

Then, some Hormagaunts

okKSm8m.jpg

cOckiC6.jpg

MUllHpZ.jpg

Lastly, an objective!

qhznn2S.jpg

I have used heavy drybrushing of blueish greys and white and I think I managed to find a good balance of effort to make a huge amount of these guys (there's more on the table). I know I cheated a bit with the greenish tongues and brains, but I wanted something to add a little effect on them. I went for a slimy look and they are all coated generously with gloss varnish. For bases I then went with lighter non glossy gray to separate the mini from the base. The slime is made from glue. As for the Alien theme, I didn't want to go full jet black to make them more appealing for table top use. So these are not full on "Alienids", but rather Tyranids inspired by Alien.

ScatheZombie said:
I wasn't planning on doing a monochrome miniature this month, but going through some of my old stuff I found these. I appear to be missing the bench that goes with it, but it's probably just in another mini container somewhere.

WHUz4LI.jpg

Thanks for the submissions! Great use of the theme for different ends while still creating awesome work to share with others. Our third entry inspired a future category, so cast your vote when you submit this months model. The December challenge will be extended to the end of the first week in January since many people will be on holiday. Our theme will be: Up Close and Personal

- Single Model
- Any model from any range, preferably an infantry model, but no restriction on size
- The model must be a unit or character who has forsaken ranged weapons completely and would rather get in peoples faces with close combat, be it with chainswords, spears, knives, axes, claws, or bare fists. Despite what Warhammer tells you, pistols do not count for close combat here. :)
- Include a brief description of your approach to this challenge

The choices for the January group build are:

- BFG (single model with ranged heavy weapon)
- Yes, Sergeant! (Single squad leader model)
- One Shot, One Kill (Single sniper model)
- Cover Up (Scatter terrain piece/pieces)

Past Group Builds

NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #0: Blood for the Blood God
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #1: Robe and Wizard Hat

Leunam

Don't know if I said this when you first submitted those Nids Staffy, but those are super cool. Love how they turned out. I bet they're very intimidating on the battlefield, that sinister black wave ready to crash over the opposition.

All three entries were great this past month, but those Nids, damn.

So 4 years now, and we still haven't gotten any of our Robotech miniature game stretch goals and extras people bought. And they haven't started production, so even if they move forward, likely wont see anything till 2018.

Never support Palladium games

Faiz

So 4 years now, and we still haven't gotten any of our Robotech miniature game stretch goals and extras people bought. And they haven't started production, so even if they move forward, likely wont see anything till 2018.

Also, never support Robotech, but that's a probably a topic best left to another thread, hahah

Leunam

I think I still remember the original thread. What a shame how it turned out. Even Kingdom Death: Monster has released stuff.

Don't know if I said this when you first submitted those Nids Staffy, but those are super cool. Love how they turned out. I bet they're very intimidating on the battlefield, that sinister black wave ready to crash over the opposition.

All three entries were great this past month, but those Nids, damn.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy how they turned out. Also, I got *very* carried away. My "just a Kill Team" is closer to 1500 points atm.

ck8215

U4QvQGm.png

After completing two challenges with straightforward themes we decided to try a slightly different route this month with a monochrome challenge. Monochrome color schemes have lots of great applications besides just being a good exercise in color theory. Below we have examples that allow for very easy unit identification, unit cohesion along a theme that fits the entire army, and colors that help background items blend into the environment while still bringing a pop of color to your setting.

Thanks for the submissions! Great use of the theme for different ends while still creating awesome work to share with others. Our third entry inspired a future category, so cast your vote when you submit this months model. The December challenge will be extended to the end of the first week in January since many people will be on holiday. Our theme will be: Up Close and Personal

- Single Model
- Any model from any range, preferably an infantry model, but no restriction on size
- The model must be a unit or character who has forsaken ranged weapons completely and would rather get in peoples faces with close combat, be it with chainswords, spears, knives, axes, claws, or bare fists. Despite what Warhammer tells you, pistols do not count for close combat here. :)
- Include a brief description of your approach to this challenge

The choices for the January group build are:

- BFG (single model with ranged heavy weapon)
- Yes, Sergeant! (Single squad leader model)
- One Shot, One Kill (Single sniper model)
- Cover Up (Scatter terrain piece/pieces)

Past Group Builds

NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #0: Blood for the Blood God
NeoGAF Wargaming Community Group Build #1: Robe and Wizard Hat

Great work guys :)
This month I'm joining in again.

Mikeside

I think I still remember the original thread. What a shame how it turned out. Even Kingdom Death: Monster has released stuff.

I'm sitting here on a $250 pledge for the base game and the 1.5 expansion.
Oh god am I really doing this?

I've secured one of the last copies of the Guild Ball Kick Off! starter box that I can go pick up tomorrow too.

It may not seem like I've had a lot of time for board games/miniatures lately what with kitty-patrol going on 24/7, but I'm hankering for some nerdy fun more than ever.

Browny

Banned
In. My wallet does not need this right now; I need to frame three pictures and get a new PC plus Xmas presents. But I'm still in. Damn you GW.

Palmer_v1

I've secured one of the last copies of the Guild Ball Kick Off! starter box that I can go pick up tomorrow too.

Hope you enjoy it! I have some friends that are playtesters and they're pretty excited about the current season, as well as some of the changes coming for S4.

I need to get back into it myself. This time of year always throws a wrench in things cause everyone's attendanance for game days becomes spotty due to holidays.

Fou-Lu

Has anyone checked out The Other Side? It's Wyrd's new game for larger scale battles than Malifaux that takes place earth-side. The factions seem really cool, especially Abyssinia (high tech African empire based in Ethiopia). They'll be putting up a kickstarter in about a week. Links:

Faction video
Web page and kickstarter count down

Seems they'll have 120mm based minis from the get go, and an interesting fireteam system where three models are on the same base.

Faiz

Has anyone checked out The Other Side? It's Wyrd's new game for larger scale battles than Malifaux that takes place earth-side. The factions seem really cool, especially Abyssinia (high tech African empire based in Ethiopia). They'll be putting up a kickstarter in about a week. Links:

Faction video
Web page and kickstarter count down

Seems they'll have 120mm based minis from the get go, and an interesting fireteam system where three models are on the same base.

All models pre-assembled. Interesting. I've always been pushed off Wyrd by stories of oddly cut tiny pieces, like a guy's beard.

Top Bottom