• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Wray

Any recommendations on White Spray Primer? I've been using Citadel White with mixed results. Wanted to try a new brand. Any opinions on which white is best?

Hex

Banned
Although I'm mostly a lurker here I still like to post when I've actually got round to finishing something :)

After three months solid work as and when I can he's finally done, this has been arguably the most satisfying thing I've ever painted. I think I remember posting him here in January when I assembled him.......

image1 by Simon Greatorex, on Flickr

Untitled by Simon Greatorex, on Flickr

He was actually "finished" a month ago but it took another month to paint all the weapon options!

I'm definitely going to spend the next few months painting small models, a Celuxus Assassin is next on the list :)

That is some sexy work

Because of FF15 and Pokemon I haven't painted for a few weeks. I've been a bit unmotivated to work on the space marines on my painting table. How do you guys get out of a hobby lull?

Leunam

I try and take on a new project, better yet, a project I put on the back burner. For me, getting into a lull is because I get a little bored of the same project after a while.

Because of FF15 and Pokemon I haven't painted for a few weeks. I've been a bit unmotivated to work on the space marines on my painting table. How do you guys get out of a hobby lull?

I got sick of painting endless red forever on my Blood Angels, so I started an Ultramarine army on the side. Painting the exact models but in different colors is still a great break.

The other thing I do is take a break by doing a single model/character.

I also switch to an entirely new, albeit smaller project or do something like scale scenery in order to display what I have finished so far.

It's all about progress. If I ever feel bogged down, I do something that immediately gives satisfaction and pushes things forward even if it's not exactly what I am currently working on.

Same.

I have a shelf dedicated to "Stuff I got part of the way completed and then lost the drive to finish".

I've learned to keep my projects smaller so I get the satisfaction of actually completing them. I just picked up about 1000 points of Sylvaneth and a Citadel Wood to go with them. In the past, I would have tried to knock all of that out in one project and probably gotten maybe 300-400 points done before I was bored or burnt out of the same paint scheme and same models. Instead I'm only doing the Branchwych and one 10-man unit of Dryads to start. Then I'll move onto a different project, like finishing the last couple pieces of a Garden of Morr set. Eventually I'll swing back around to the rest of the Sylvaneth and probably queue up Spirit of Durthu and another unit of Dryads.

It takes me a lot longer to actually complete an army this way - my Ironjawz took like 4 months to get 1500 points. But because I'm moving through models faster and actually finishing projects, I stay motivated and end up getting a lot more painting done overall.

I ended up having a massive clearout of all my unpainted and unassembled minis because I was realistically never going to get all of them tabletop ready and it was becoming a huge demotivator. Now I'm focussing on one army at a time and one unit at a time - my motivation is high and my wallet thanks me too :D

I ended up knocking out 6 fatties today. It's not what I had planned, but I actually went a bit bigger in my overall ambition. I also prepped and have the first coat on 17 runners, which is a great start. I hope to finish those off throughout the week.

5A323630-4236-48C1-9475-B88C9A1F256D.jpg

I ended up having a massive clearout of all my unpainted and unassembled minis because I was realistically never going to get all of them tabletop ready and it was becoming a huge demotivator. Now I'm focussing on one army at a time and one unit at a time - my motivation is high and my wallet thanks me too :D

I've been doing the same, sold off all my flames of war armies and figs since they haven't touched the table in years. Giving away my infinity army. Looking to dump my Robotech horde of figs, game is DOA sadly.

Want to focus on one or two hobby games only

Mikeside

I just spent far too long putting together some Skitarii Hoplites.

Gotta say, they look very cool (pictures once they're at least primed) but sticking resin to plastic is painful and cutting it apart to alter the positions of things to create some variety in the squad was so difficult I think a part of me died inside.

manfestival

hey so I just put together my first 3 tau fire warriors but I cant decide on what weapons to arm myself with but I need some advice. I did some damage to my one of my guys with my cutters. Should I get a blade? I am sure I have a box cutter or something like that nearby.

Also, I am using super glue at the moment because I was scared of the thought of using plastic cement lol. How do I avoid getting this stuff on my hands?

FYI I never put minis together

Leunam

You want clippers to remove them from the sprue but a hobby knife to clean them after. You definitely want plastic glue over super glue as it creates a far better bond. And it's not as bad if it gets on your hands.

SillyEskimo, the monochrome challenge ended already lol.

But seriously, those fatties look great.

I have been busy preparing for Christmas and the coming of our real live miniature human so I haven't posted or painted much.

Hopefully I can catch some hobby time soon enough. I also have a feeling I am getting spoiled by the missus this Christmas. :)

Li Kao

You want clippers to remove them from the sprue but a hobby knife to clean them after. You definitely want plastic glue over super glue as it creates a far better bond. And it's not as bad if it gets on your hands.

What ? keep in mind I'm still new(ly returned) to the hobby and yeah, for plastic on plastic, plastic glue does a perfect job. But I would have ranked super glue has the better bond. I'm surely wrong on that one but that's not an issue, the thing I think I wouldn't get wrong is to advise to get plastic and super. You use plastic for 80% of the stuff but super is necessary for resin and small parts you want fixed for good.

Plastic glue melts plastic, so the bond you get is more of a weld than just two pieces stuck together. In fact if you try to break two pieces which have been plastic glued together then odds are it'll break everywhere but where the two pieces join, as the 'weld' is often stronger than the actual plastic. Because it doesn't 'grab' as quickly as super glue it also gives you a little while to get poses perfect.

Super glue is your go to for metal and resin (god I hate resin) but any time you're sticking plastic to plastic, plastic glue should be your glue of choice, the only exception I can think of is things like transparent canopies where super/plastic glue fumes can create a fog. For that good old PVA is ideal.

Li Kao

Plastic glue melts plastic, so the bond you get is more of a weld than just two pieces stuck together. In fact if you try to break two pieces which have been plastic glued together then odds are it'll break everywhere but where the two pieces join, as the 'weld' is often stronger than the actual plastic. Because it doesn't 'grab' as quickly as super glue it also gives you a little while to get poses perfect.

Super glue is your go to for metal and resin (god I hate resin) but any time you're sticking plastic to plastic, plastic glue should be your glue of choice, the only exception I can think of is things like transparent canopies where super/plastic glue fumes can create a fog. For that good old PVA is ideal.

Oh fuck yeah, get PVA too !

So you need...

A tool to cleanly cut the pieces from the sprue :
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/citadel-essentials-ENG
or
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Fine-Detail-Cutters

Then a tool to clean the little imperfections left on the piece :
https://www.games-workshop.com/fr-BE/Jeu-de-Limes#
or
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Mouldline-Remover

Sometimes a sharper blade will be useful :
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Knife

Then plastic glue (for plastic on plastic), super glue and PVA (for the base).
Keep in mind...
- that GW are often overpriced and some other brands offer good alternative.
- that depending on what you are doing all of these may not be always useful, but they are quite essential most of the time.

And with that my Winter terrain for Blood Bowl just arrived. One week, UK to France, ok...
Still a few hours / days left to receive the two resin referees from ForgeWorld.

Li Kao

Just for fun, my actual warzone workstation.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/UZQfvOi.jpg[/img]

Come on people, talk ! We can do better ! I have an always opened tab for this topic and I love it when there is something new to read from you.

Code:

Come on people, talk ! We can do better ! I have an always opened tab for this topic and I love it when there is something new to read from you.

Nice amount of paints you have already! I'm jealous lol.

Oh and I agree, I this thread is awesome and I always love to read and see stuff everyone posts.

Mikeside

Code:

Nice

I feel like I'd be a lot more productive if I had a specific place to paint, but I currently just use my PC desk.

I'll get some snaps of what I've been working on this evening

edit:

I'd like to see how people are transporting their minis about for when they go to war.

I've got a couple of flight cases I just bought, but then I found a Draper organiser that fits my minis in pretty well. I just need to put the vehicles and bigger bits in the flight cases and I'm set.

Li Kao

Mmh, I think I will brave the cold and see what my FLGS offers in terms of brush cleaning solution. Dry paint and general wear are a little too frequent for my taste.
Then I could see how much they ask for round bases (got a lot of unbased minis from 10-15 years ago and I'm toying with the idea to base them, at least my beloved Skaven ((if the scale is the same, I''m looking at you 40k T_T )).
But then I will have to make a will save to avoid buying some Necrons. I know it could sound wrong for a "painter", but the idea of a mini with a paint job that mostly consists of Metal / Ink / Highlight is a strange arousal to me.

I love seeing where others paint, so here's a pic of mine.

210BCCF5-B07A-4F07-A4D7-5683C987A02D.jpg

559FF7E1-9D0A-469F-A2DC-2912583E78DB_1.jpg

56E990E4-D512-4D3C-9F53-230BA51A9211_1.jpg

DB6F28D4-D8E0-4287-B2EB-F2435C4F4E28_1.jpg

A34842B1-6F89-4FDF-8B82-97F772FE6A2F_1.jpg

Lots to see there! Ask if you have any questions. I have most everything imaginable for the hobby. Ipad is for watching and the laptop is for surfing.

EDIT: I had this post filled with details about almost every item on display but then my browser crashed and I lost 30 minutes of my day. Now you just get pics, lol.

I'd like to see how people are transporting their minis about for when they go to war.

I've got a couple of flight cases I just bought, but then I found a Draper organiser that fits my minis in pretty well. I just need to put the vehicles and bigger bits in the flight cases and I'm set.

This is how I transport my Nids!

It's magnetic paper sheet and the minis have metal washers clued in their bases. Also makes them more stable on the table top. The sheet is going to be clued into a plastic container.

EDIT: I had this post filled with details about almost every item on display but then my browser crashed and I lost 30 minutes of my day. Now you just get pics, lol.

SPACE HULK
SPACE HULK
SPACE HULK

Man loves his Space Hulk :)

That's a transport solution I've never seen before, that's really cool. I really need to get some washers on the bases of my Stormboyz, those things are by far the most unstable models I've ever had.

As for my transport method? For Space Wolves and Tau, cardboard boxes and a carry case. For Orks? Carrier bags and trouser pockets, can't be fussy when you've got several hundred pieces of WAAAAAGH to carry around.

Mikeside

I ended up selling my copy of Space Hulk. I'm hoping they re-release Space Crusade, that's the real fun one.

Staffy that's pretty genius.

I'm willing to trade a copy of Space Hulk for... I don't really know what. Some similarly priced GW set I guess. No good having a copy sit there. I had 4 copies but I sold one prior to the reprint for $450! I still haven't painted it yet though. I'm keeping the new version though because it has rules and tiles for boarding torpedos.

I am surrounded by GW during that session because that's what I was painting at the time. Right now I have 10 or 12 Zombicide boxes there instead. I always look to lore, artwork, and of course the Internet for inspiration.

Runners tonight. I'm not looking super forward to painting those but look super forward to having them done! Maybe I'll get distracted again.

Li Kao

Brush cleaner ? Ask my colleague another day.
Miniature succulant plants to do a sort of jungly feel ? I will receive that soon.
Age of Sigmar plain bases ? Order only.
Fake water ? Yes, 12 euros / bottle.

My day haul was not looking good but then I walked into tall grass and...

A wild Necron appeared.

And while we are at it, the room isn't big and here's the growing game collection.

Just missing some other old GW games like Necromunda, Man O War etc...

manfestival

bought my plastic cement and other goodies. However, I was asked what I wanted for christmas and I made the suggestion of getting some paint brushes and paint.... There is a local game store that gives good prices on everything but can anyone give advice on paints to buy? like 3 bases , 3 shades, and etc? I dont really know what to ask for specifically. Just know that I want to color my fire warriors purple and then go from there. Also I was recommended the other day to go with Vallejo and PP for paints but I feel like only for this one time that citadel is better simply because its easier to give as a recommendation.

Li Kao

bought my plastic cement and other goodies. However, I was asked what I wanted for christmas and I made the suggestion of getting some paint brushes and paint.... There is a local game store that gives good prices on everything but can anyone give advice on paints to buy? like 3 bases , 3 shades, and etc? I dont really know what to ask for specifically. Just know that I want to color my fire warriors purple and then go from there. Also I was recommended the other day to go with Vallejo and PP for paints but I feel like only for this one time that citadel is better simply because its easier to give as a recommendation.

I have a suggestion. You seem to know what you want, so why don't you (or we can help) decide on a color scheme for your Tau and buy paint for them ? Because 3 bases 3 shades etc seem quite though a question to answer. You could buy one of the citadel paint starters, but really, why not focus on the Tau ?

manfestival

I have a suggestion. You seem to know what you want, so why don't you (or we can help) decide on a color scheme for your Tau and buy paint for them ? Because 3 bases 3 shades etc seem quite though a question to answer. You could buy one of the citadel paint starters, but really, why not focus on the Tau ?

So just buy similar colors? maybe get a list for myself lol

Browny

Banned
giphy.gif

It has been a long wait. A very long wait indeed.

Sadly I have the entirety of my lounge to paint, 3 or 4 pictures to frame and a new computer to buy - but that just means I'm going to feel a bit guilty (and overdrawn for a month). I will buy everything they have. Hype is at maximum level.

Li Kao

The other leaks are not bad too. Some new mini where YMMV and what could be a new Necromunda set in dark eldar territory. I'm underwhelmed by the adeptus machinathingy mini personally, crowded would be an euphemism, I'm sure I would get a headache trying to see what is what on that thing.

For those that wouldn't have seen the leaks :

[if posting pseudo-leaks I'm half-convinced are just good marketing is frowned upon, just tell me and the pics are gone]

Sista

A thing which has things on it, but I think those things have things on them too

Inquisitor

New book

Mmh mmh

And you could have missed those :

Tzentch in AOS

Inquisitor model is amazing. Celestine is breathtaking. I even like the Mechanicus guy, even if he is a little cluttered.

GW stahp!!! I only have enough time on my hands as it is!

Browny

Banned
I'm all over that Inquisitor model. I already own 8 or so (must pull my finger out and host and post them already), but you can never have too many...

Li Kao

Never again painting Viola Tau. Never again. My next Tau will be classic brown, you hear me GW ? Not this clashing colors trap. Black, white and red. Is there a more unforgiving mix of colors...

There is some consern in my hobby group about those purity seal "flight sticks" on Celestine and the ladies. Anyone got any experiences with the similiar Age of Sigmar minis? Are they easy to break?

There is some consern in my hobby group about those purity seal "flight sticks" on Celestine and the ladies. Anyone got any experiences with the similiar Age of Sigmar minis? Are they easy to break?

GW plastic is pretty darn tough. I've had more minis break using traditional flight stands as they snap at the little peg connecting to the mini.

GW plastic is pretty darn tough. I've had more minis break using traditional flight stands as they snap at the little peg connecting to the mini.

I agree. The only thing I would do is put some weight in the base. I would be more worried of tipping than breaking.

The #1 thing to keep in mind in this hobby is that when playing, most people will grab and move a miniature by it's largest and flimsiest part!

Faiz

One of my Prosecutors actually came bent at the parchment, the plastic discolored at the bend. It will probably be ok as long as I'm not being an idiot but I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me.

Top Bottom