• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Newest gif:

6e4a4e-1487353542.gif

I'm still at 0.1%.
Can't see shit.

Don't worry, once you're past the initial area, it really opens up!

Does anyone ever tried fast travel in Witcher 3 on PS4? you can take a shower while you wait for it to load, and it makes sense! why would anyone expect fast travel in games likes these to take 5 seconds?

Hmm, I don't think I agree with most of this. Even if I did, I think the game has so many positives that outweigh the negatives.
>Most of my time has been spent against machines, not human enemies.
>I have no trouble alerting enemies lol. Machines are especially suspicious. Mind you, they function off sensors, so if you don't trigger their sensors, they don't notice you. But it's nowhere near MGS-tier stealth by any means.
>Fog isn't everywhere. The game is insanely gorgeous.
>...no it's not. For the first 10 hours you can't even hack anything more than a watcher or the horse-like machine. And it takes a while to do. I trust the balance that if you were to get easily knocked off by other aggressive machines while trying to hack, it would get frustrating quickly. Hacking isn't something that is like "insta-win" anyway. You take on a lot of risk in approaching an enemy to hack because the game is designed to give you combat advantages from a distance.
>Brom is the worst cutscene I've seen in the game. The facial animation remains that bad in some low-tier side quest cutscenes, but the voice acting is pretty good overall. I think Brom was intentionally made to sound ridiculous...I think you'll see what I mean.
>yeah unfortunately the bow and arrow comments are true but there are other weapons. 90% of the combat is projectiles.
>I haven't fast traveled yet.
>I don't know, I haven't really found invisible walls yet, but then again I don't try looking for them. The walls that look too high to climb are the ones I don't bother climbing unless I see the Uncharted-style ledge on them.

Thanks for taking your time to respond. Its amazing how 4chan sees the stream of you guys playing, posts their drivel based off of it, then some dumbass copies it from there and pastes it back here.

The Lamp

Reviewers have been remarkably quiet for this game. Usually we have a dozen snippets going around.

Meh. Playing this game, I'm certain the majority of reviews are going to be consistent with our impressions. I think it will range from "hey this is a fun game" to "holy shit this is great."

ckaneo

Ok I understand what u are saying but you know there is dynamic weather in the game where deserts have sand storms as well!!
I mean is it hiding the draw distance or playing a part in atmospheric presentation?

I've already said that they did a really good job with the fog in this game...

That said, post more images. I've seen deeper fog than that the game that disappears as the play moves closer. Not atmospheric either, but clearly for performance.

Glassboy

I'm not sure where al this fog talk is coming from. I'm 7 hours in and it has never stood out to me as being too foggy. Sure there is fog, but you are up in mountainous region with rivers flowing through so it makes sense that there is some fog at times. The graphics should be the last thing any sane person would complain about lol

prwxv3

Ok I understand what u are saying but you know there is dynamic weather in the game where deserts have sand storms as well!!
I mean is it hiding the draw distance or playing a part in atmospheric presentation?

If the fog is there to hide draw distance its doing a shitty job lol.

I'm not sure where al this fog talk is coming from. I'm 7 hours in and it has never stood out to me as being too foggy. Sure there is fog, but you are up in mountainous region with rivers flowing through so it makes sense that there is some fog at times. The graphics should be the last thing any sane person would complain about lol
It was just 4chan nonsense. We're just rolling with it for fun though lol.

vivekTO

Meh. Playing this game, I'm certain the majority of reviews are going to be consistent with our impressions. I think it will range from "hey this is a fun game" to "holy shit this is great."

Well that we will know in three days!!
Also Have you got to any citiy??

Reviewers have been remarkably quiet for this game. Usually we have a dozen snippets going around.

Jeff Gerstmann kind of teased that he likes the game on a recent video. He said something to the effect that he doesn't like a lot of Sony's first party software, but they might be turning it around...you'll know more soon.

M.D

Jeff Gerstmann kind of teased that he likes the game on a recent video. He said something to the effect that he doesn't like a lot of Sony's first party software, but they might be turning it around...you'll know more soon.

Can you link the video, and if possible give a timestamp? Thanks

Wollan

So it's a Real-Game(tm). Might even get Jett's approval now.

prwxv3

the the reactions to this would be amazing lol.

Gudji

Was it the big one, Meridian? Was it pretty and lively and freely explorable? :)
Yes it was meridian. It looked big and had a lot of npcs talking with each other, some walking around doing stuff. I'm not sure if it's on the same level as novigrad in the witcher 3 (don't remember, played it long time ago) but it's pretty good looking. I think you'll enjoy.

vivekTO

I've already said that they did a really good job with the fog in this game...

That said, post more images. I've seen deeper fog than that the game that disappears as the play moves closer. Not atmospheric either, but clearly for performance.

I mean i know this is waste of time but.. Taken from one trailer

And the Sand storm i was talking about is this one
32141169713_022ab95d85_z.jpg

But still you can see the Draw distance...
Lets give it a rest ,game will be out in a few weeks , we can than discuss it in details , If you will like i will make a thread about it.

I dunno , the way I'm reading between the lines for Vince and Greg, it's already gotten their seal of thumbs up.

And if Jeff Gerstmann likes it, it's probably the biggest game changer of em all, he's practically never liked 99% of anything made by the entirety of WWS history.

Tyaren

Yes it was meridian. It looked big and had a lot of npcs talking with each other, some walking around doing stuff. I'm not sure if it's on the same level as novigrad in the witcher 3 (don't remember, played it long time ago) but it's pretty good looking. I think you'll enjoy.

Oooh...that sounds good, thanks! :) Cities/towns are always my favorite places in RPGs and I was a bit worried they might skimp on that in Horizon. A lot of recent RPGs skimped on cities, at least in the recent RPGs that I've played (FFXV for example).

ckaneo

I mean i know this is waste of time but.. Taken from one trailer
Perhaps, this is a waste of time, but do I somehow have a different definition of fog than everyone else...

Cause you are just proving my point. Unless that was your intention, then carry on.

Servbot24

Banned
What is Jeff's usual criticism of Sony games?

Top Bottom