• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.

Man this sounds like such a Nintendo thing to do.

'Some guy is actually getting people hyped for our product which our failed marketing plan hasn't revealed yet.'

'Let's take his switch away so we can be quiet until release'

I don't understand what legal obligation hiphoptherobot has to Nintendo. I would have told them to fly a kite.

Sounds like Nintendo has been pretty cool about this, all things considered, which is good to hear. Sounds like someone at the company that shipped it to you is in some deep shit. Like you said I'm sure there is a lot of stuff we don't know about and you can't talk about. Can you at least mention the company that shipped it to you now? Are you under an NDA with Nintendo now?
I'm going to need your definition of "cool"

diaspora

Unless he knowingly bought something that may have been stolen?

there are so many details we don't know yet.

I mean it is entirely possible he bought it from someone who was supposed to get it for review etc...

Who knows.

If it was a legal transaction through a pos, dude wouldn't be out a dime.
Unless the retailer that shipped it to him stole it I don't know how that could be the case.

phanphare

Banned
but even then he'd ought to get his money back from them no?

I have no idea I'm just speculating. we are clearly missing a big piece to this puzzle and I think it's safe to say that a retailer didn't just accidentally ship his unit as he wouldn't have had to send it back had that been the case. plus why only one?

neshcom

Banned
Yeah, I am surprised by that as well. and they didnt ask me to remove my videos but I figured the information is out there and I would rather stay on their good side.

This sounds like someone who was threatened with a legal suit/order and told to mum up until launch day. Sorry you had to (maybe?) go through that HipHop

#justiceforhiphoprobot

tebunker

Banned
Unless the retailer that shipped it to him stole it I don't know how that could be the case.

But you are accepting the initial story. What we are saying is that story may not be 100% true.

If dude was shipped something by a retailer there will be a paper trail, and he can get his money or system back.

If he bought it another way, all kinds of stuff could be off.

We don't have the whole story here.

It sounds like he's going to be okay.

It also sounds like something fishy is up and we don't have all the details.

I am going to say that this wasn't accidentally shipped by a retailer, and I think we all should reserve any other judgement until we can get a full story.

phanphare

Banned
I don't understand what legal obligation hiphoptherobot has to Nintendo. I would have told them to fly a kite.

if we are to accept his original story as fact absolutely none. hence why we are obviously missing some info especially given his recent posts about not wanting to share anymore info and Nintendo being reasonable about the whole situation.

Yeah I mean do we know for a fact that HH doesn't work at a video game store and just sold it to himself?

Not sure if any ma and pa stores actually have consoles in hand yet though.
We don't know. I don't trust what people say online. He can say accidentally shipped or whatever, but that doesn't mean I believe it for one second.

diaspora

But you are accepting the initial story. What we are saying is that story may not be 100% true.

If dude was shipped something by a retailer there will be a paper trail, and he can get his money or system back.

I am going to say that this wasn't accidentally shipped by a retailer...
If Nintendo, the retailer, or HipHopRobot would like to provide an alternate one, the existing one is all there is.

tebunker

Banned
If Nintendo, the retailer, or HipHopRobot would like to provide an alternate one, the existing one is all there is.

Right, and I am telling you to be a skeptic.

It doesn't add up, like you say, why should he have to send back something he legally bought. Stop at the end there....

You guys really believe him? Lol

I said from the begining if it was accidently shipped other people would of have one too. You just dont just package and ship one item to one person lol.

I dont believe retailers even got them yet or we wouldve seent them in boxes first and that happens like a week before launch.

FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE

#TeamFake

#issahoax

WadeitOut

I am going to say that this wasn't accidentally shipped by a retailer, and I think we all should reserve any other judgement until we can get a full story.

Yeah we have seen similar things happen in the past and to my knowledge it's always been the retailer that got in trouble. The person may have been contacted to sign an NDA or something though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Man what if he got duped and he's shipping it to some random reddit poster...

I seriously hope for him this is not the case.
hiphop, are you REALLY sure Nintendo contacted you? What did they tell you? Which proofs do you have you were in contact with actual Nintendo representatives?

Man what if he got duped and he's shipping it to some random reddit poster...

Oh believe me, I made sure everything was legit as I was extremely skeptical when I was first contacted. And I am not dealing directly with Nintendo but with a third party working on their behalf. But I made sure to ask for plenty of proof before I handed over a console.

lindseybp

I'm going to need your definition of "cool"

They could have claimed stolen goods and police could have shown up at his door. Whether it was stolen or not is not the point....they could have made that happen. Big companies have more power than individuals these days. Sounds like they just called the dude and had a discussion and he agreed to send it back and they agreed to not pursue anything else with him. They let it be no harm-no foul for him. But again we are all guessing since we don't know the details.

Persona7

Banned
Oh believe me, I made sure everything was legit as I was extremely skeptical when I was first contacted. And I am not dealing directly with Nintendo but with a third party working on their behalf. But I made sure to ask for plenty of proof before I handed over a console.

What is the name of the company/lawyers?

jxN3

Lol, they probably have something against him legally, literally the only reason I'd ever send them my console.

They probably offered to drop any potential charges if he just simply sent the console back.

It certainly would explain why he's so cool about the whole situation, if my theory is correct, Nintendo threw the guy a bone.

lmao, that doesn't sound legit at all

Baleoce

Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.

How did they find you?

Is the third party a lawyer? Was this shit stolen?

lindseybp

Private legal and/or security firm I'm guessing....

Again, I probably cant talk about details but after knowing what happened I don't necessarily think Nintendo is wrong for wanting the console back and the people I dealt with have all been very nice and reasonable. And again, I am not in any trouble but didnt feel like pushing my luck by keeping the videos up.
What? This is horrible. This story needs to be spread! Fuck them!

Whatever. They have never done stuff like that. Just because you hate Nintendo doesn't make this a "very Fucking Nintendo" thing to do.
Someone's a little touchy. I do not hate Nintendo, I've a switch paid off already and have owned every Nintendo console or handheld for the last twenty years. Putting it plainly if he doesn't get reimbursed somehow it's complete bullshit. He bought a Switch, he should get one of the monetary value.

lindseybp

Likely whoever accidentally shipped it has record of where they shipped it, and Nintendo's ninjas have probably been shaking down all their retail partners for that information since this leak broke.

This or if it was online at all it's game over and you are busted.

They could have claimed stolen goods and police could have shown up at his door. Whether it was stolen or not is not the point....they could have made that happen. Big companies have more power than individuals these days. Sounds like they just called the dude and had a discussion and he agreed to send it back and they agreed to not pursue anything else with him. They let it be no harm-no foul for him. But again we are all guessing since we don't know the details.
If we take everything that hiphoptherobot has said at face value, the device was acquired legally, which means anything Nintendo does is shitty, not "cool"

WadeitOut

Someone's a little touchy. I do not hate Nintendo, I've a switch paid off already and have owned every Nintendo console or handheld for the last twenty years. Putting it plainly if he doesn't get reimbursed somehow it's complete bullshit. He bought a Switch, he should get one of the monetary value.

Unless like I've mentioned, he sold it to himself from a store he works at.

Kyoufu

I'm a Nigerian Prince and my uncle works for Nintendo. I'm afraid we need your Nintendo Switch back. Please ship it to this address in the US. Don't worry it will reach Nigeria er I mean Nintendo.

deleted

Wait what? You have to send in your console that you claim to have been shipped early AND you won't get back the money OR the console?

phanphare

Banned

we're clearly missing some crucial info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom