• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Kingsman 2 does well in September this year. There's no reason to have the second half of August until early November be devoid of anything large.

Kingsman 2 should be interesting after the surprising tail of the first. Between the first's reception and adding a couple famous actors, it has a shot of taking September.

MoeDabs

I watched it by myself and I can assure you I'm not sad or lonely. Maybe you are, which might explain the downright childish insults.

Same. My friends and my gf have no interest in PR, and I had free time. If you think going to a theater alone is weird, you have some issues not them.

Fj0823

Power Rangers is one of those movies where fans are just happy they didn't fuck it up so bad.

I went in expecting Fant4stic and got a lovable cast of misfits trying to bond together as friends to get their damn mechas to work. It wasn't embarrassed of the source and it even embraced the series cheesiness at the end.

I walked out impressed and happy.

3N16MA

Banned
Sorry, when I see people watching a movie by themselves, that's my automatic reaction, even if they're not sad and lonely.

That is an odd way of looking at it. Watching a film is not exactly a social activity. I don't look at it any differently than someone watching a film by themselves in their own home.

Chumley

Banned
I don't know why you're taking it so personally, dude. It was just a general observation and was never aimed at you in the first place.

A judgement aimed with a broad brush is still a judgement. I was simply trying to give a word of advice on learning not to make the kind of assumptions you did, you're free to take it or leave it.

BumRush

I don't know why you're taking it so personally, dude. It was just a general observation and was never aimed at you in the first place.

I guarantee most people do not find it weird to see a movie alone. Don't think it needs to be discussed any further, but you might want to update your views rather than calling people you don't know sad and alone

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm actually surprised that PR bombed that hard internationally, but then again the theatre was basically a few groups of guys, some parents with kids who probably realised they made a mistake once the film started, and some sad, lonely guys watching it by themselves.

Embarrassing post.

"I don't understand how someone took my insult so personally despite it literally being about them. So weird!"

hirokazu

Okay, chill out guys. We often wonder why people watch movies in groups when you're just watching a screen rather than talking, but most people I know don't watch movies alone at a theatre regardless. I understand there are other people who do things differently, I've mentioned that.

But point taken, some people have taken offence over it. I apologize to those people and I won't make excuses for it. I don't mean to derail this thread.

ZoddGutts

Uh ignoring that dude... looks like PR will get a sequel, doubt it's going to make it to that propose 6 films, I wouldn't mind if it instead becomes a trilogy. End it strong.

kswiston

Uh ignoring that dude... looks like PR will get a sequel, doubt it's going to make it to that propose 6 films, I wouldn't mind if it instead becomes a trilogy. End it strong.

I think that Power Rangers will get Ninja Turtled after the second film if it gets a sequel.

I have little confidence in Lionsgate's ability to manage a long running franchise.

Sorcerer

I think that Power Rangers will get Ninja Turtled after the second film if it gets a sequel.

I have little confidence in Lionsgate's ability to manage a long running franchise.

I could see Power Rangers continuing on. It seems to me they were smart about it. Just don't try to fix what ain't broke. If you loved the show you probably loved this movie. Probably will have to change the cast every 3 movies if aging out is a concern but that's probably not a big deal.

Temp_User

Disney 2019 has a lot of question marks still, but what we do know of is already insane:

Captain Marvel - 3/8/19
Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live Action) - 3/29/19
Untitled Disneytoon Movie (2019) - 4/12/19
Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) - 7/19/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #1 (2019) - 11/8/19
Untitled Disney Animation (3-D) - 11/27/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] - 12/20/19

Episode IX is no doubt in the 2019 lineup as well. My guess for the untitled 11/19 animated film is the Frozen sequel.

Frozen, Episode 9 and Infinity War part 2 all in one year?! Disney plz, show some restraint. Throw the other guys a bone.

hirokazu

I thought PR was bigger outside of Europe. But i guess not all Europeans are as cool as I am!
https://numero.co/reports/2017/03/27/beauty-is-best

It bombed pretty hard in Australia, and got beaten out by Life. To be fair, Beauty and the Beast expanded to wide release here the same day, so both films were gonna get slaughtered regardless.

I think I made a mistake in assuming the tracking for Power Rangers in America would be matched at least in other Western countries, the international haul for it is abysmal.

kswiston

WHO IS BUYING THAT SHIT?

29ef07a7228e157b15f209ab0e6f7081.jpg

kswiston

Back when TFA was running, I did a series of graphs comparing its run to other films that ended up making $900M+ overseas.

I thought that it would be interesting to do something similar for Beauty and the Beast and Fate of the Furious, only focusing on Worldwide gross as a comparison. I have picked a number of (mostly recent) films in the $1.05B to $1.35B range to act as a comparison, as I expect both films to land in that range.

Yjmgstn.png

The chart lists the cumulative totals for the first 7 weekends of each film's release, as well as the LTD worldwide gross as the last data point.

Surprisingly, xaosslug's thread creation history is one of the best places on the internet to find weekly worldwide grosses for films. No one has bothered to consolidate that data in an easily accessible format that I have come across. The best thing that I ever did in these threads was start the trend of including the Rentrak/Comscore worldwide chart in the thread OP during one of my first fill-in for xaosslug back Nov 2013. Props to him for keeping it going for 3.5 years.

Anyhow, I you might notice that some of the movie titles have note markers:

* Minions and Skyfall started their runs 2-3 weeks before the domestic release date. I decided to cap early overseas grosses to one week so that we wouldn't lose too much relevant data to those early territory releases. The Marvel films typically have a large portion of their overseas territories launch a week early, so I figured this was a good compromise.

^ I don't have an actual second weekend WW gross for Frozen. xaosslug didn't do the worldwide chart that week, and I slacked off in reporting WW numbers for some reason. I approximated that week.

When Fate of the Furious launches, I will add it to this graph as well.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I think it depends. TMNT had poor marketing, tried to throw every possible thing into the movie and didn't have a good release window like the original.

If PR doesn't try to do too much, the Green Ranger hype could do wonders.

I think it depends. TMNT had poor marketing, tried to throw every possible thing into the movie and didn't have a good release window like the original.

If PR doesn't try to do too much, the Green Ranger hype could do wonders.

One of my favorite cinema experiences of last year was sitting in an IMAX theater alone (plus one other stranger) watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. If I remember correctly after Alice 2 bombed, Paramount and IMAX threw together a last minute deal to give TMNT the screens for the week, so I guess nobody really knew about it. It gets points with me for that.

Back when TFA was running, I did a series of graphs comparing its run to other films that ended up making $900M+ overseas.

I thought that it would be interesting to do something similar for Beauty and the Beast and Fate of the Furious, only focusing on Worldwide gross as a comparison. I have picked a number of (mostly recent) films in the $1.05B to $1.35B range to act as a comparison, as I expect both films to land in that range.

Yjmgstn.png

The chart lists the cumulative totals for the first 7 weekends of each film's release, as well as the LTD worldwide gross as the last data point.

Surprisingly, xaosslug's thread creation history is one of the best places on the internet to find weekly worldwide grosses for films. No one has bothered to consolidate that data in an easily accessible format that I have come across. The best thing that I ever did in these threads was start the trend of including the Rentrak/Comscore worldwide chart in the thread OP during one of my first fill-in for xaosslug back Nov 2013. Props to him for keeping it going for 3.5 years.

Anyhow, I you might notice that some of the movie titles have note markers:

* Minions and Skyfall started their runs 2-3 weeks before the domestic release date. I decided to cap early overseas grosses to one week so that we wouldn't lose too much relevant data to those early territory releases. The Marvel films typically have a large portion of their overseas territories launch a week early, so I figured this was a good compromise.

^ I don't have an actual second weekend WW gross for Frozen. xaosslug didn't do the worldwide chart that week, and I slacked off in reporting WW numbers for some reason. I approximated that week.

When Fate of the Furious launches, I will add it to this graph as well.

Geez, what did Frozen do in that 7th week to jump the line like that?

And then we will get to May and Trailer 2 will be nothing but Mater gags.

Git r done!
Horrible! Just horrible!

BTW, nice work up there, kswiss. China's opening was part of the second week for both Civil War and Iron Man 3, so with better legs, Beauty and the Beast looks like it can get to at least $1.2B.

The graph goes from week 7 to LTD, and like many animated Disney films, Frozen had a staggered release overseas including a historic Japan run as Anth0ny stated.

Snaku

Banned

Naw, this is the reverse Ninja Turtles. The second one did so bad in comparison to the first because people got conned into seeing the first through nostalgia tease. They didn't bother to see the second one because they got burned on the first. Power Rangers is a legit good film that stands on its own and also satisfies people's nostalgia. It'll have decent legs in theaters, and will find bigger success on home video/streaming services. The sequel will have a much bigger opening than the first because of the goodwill Lionsgate has established with this film. Think Batman Begins -> Dark Knight.

I wish I could walk in when the kids ask their parents to buy them Dr. Dre "What's The Difference?" on iTunes.

You know, that catchy song from the Despicable Me 3 trailer.

Lol.

hirokazu

Not in the 7th week, it's actually the difference between the 7th week and the total gross. Japan likes to get films super late and it blew up over there, plus the super long legs it had in a lot of other countries means huge difference between 7th week and final gross.

I think Let it Go blew up around that time, also it opened in Japan and was #1 forever.

Horrible! Just horrible!

BTW, nice work up there, kswiss. China's opening was part of the second week for both Civil War and Iron Man 3, so with better legs, Beauty and the Beast looks like it can get to at least $1.2B.

The graph goes from week 7 to LTD, and like many animated Disney films, Frozen had a staggered release overseas including a historic Japan run as Anth0ny stated.

Not in the 7th week, it's actually the difference between the 7th week and the total gross. Japan likes to get films super late and it blew up over there, plus the super long legs it had in a lot of other countries means huge difference between 7th week and final gross.

Gotcha, it still helps put into perspective how madly impressive its run was, that song and movie were part of the cultural zeitgeist for the longest time. Heck, people still chuckle to this day when somebody says the phrase "let it go".

Japan's love affair with that movie is nuts. I mean for Pete's sake, this is a thing:

2590776-disneyfrozen.jpg

Disney 2019 has a lot of question marks still, but what we do know of is already insane:

Captain Marvel - 3/8/19
Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live Action) - 3/29/19
Untitled Disneytoon Movie (2019) - 4/12/19
Untitled Avengers - 5/3/19
Toy Story 4 - 6/21/19
Untitled Indiana Jones (2019) - 7/19/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #1 (2019) - 11/8/19
Untitled Disney Animation (3-D) - 11/27/19
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale #2 (2019) [Live Action] - 12/20/19

Episode IX is no doubt in the 2019 lineup as well. My guess for the untitled 11/19 animated film is the Frozen sequel.

So they would potentially have Toy Story 4, Infinity War 2, Lion King, an Indiana Jones, Episode IX AND Frozen 2 in the same year?

Jesus Christ.

and that's not even including a potential 3rd MCU movie for 2019...

what's 2018 looking like?

and that's not even including a potential 3rd MCU movie for 2019...

what's 2018 looking like?

Disney Wiki is giving me this:

February 16 - Black Panther
March 9 - Wreck-It Ralph 2
April 6 - A Wrinkle in Time
May 4 - Avengers: Infinity War
May 25 - An untitled Han Solo film
June 15 - The Incredibles 2
July 6 - Ant-Man and the Wasp
November 2 - Mulan
November 21 - Gigantic
December 25 - Mary Poppins Returns

There's some other films I see floating around like Bald Mountain and Dumbo, but nothing really concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom