• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2018 I hope Predator continues this big success r rated properties are having in February.

Pretty damn excited for that movie. And Fox will have owned that month (personally) for franchise movies 3 years in a row at that point as well. Shane Black, hard r action horror movie, and a dope as hell cast

Ray Down

Banned
Power Rangers is one of those movies where fans are just happy they didn't fuck it up so bad.

I went in expecting Fant4stic and got a lovable cast of misfits trying to bond together as friends to get their damn mechas to work. It wasn't embarrassed of the source and it even embraced the series cheesiness at the end.

I walked out impressed and happy.

Did you go to krispy kreme afterwards?

Chumley

Banned
GitS is not going to bomb.

It won't be a huge success but it won't be a failure either. Scarlett Johansson has never headlined a bomb domestically and the international numbers will be pretty good.

I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong but if it's not at least number 2 this weekend I'd be shocked.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

It won't be a huge success but it won't be a failure either. Scarlett Johansson has never headlined a bomb domestically and the international numbers will be pretty good.

I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong but if it's not at least number 2 this weekend I'd be shocked.
I have the humble pie ready.

Toki767

Would 'Under the Skin' count?

kswiston

So numbers from this morning suggest that Beauty and the Beast beat the Sunday estimate again and did indeed break the $90M mark in its second weekend.

Power Rangers decreased a tad, but remains over $40M

So numbers from this morning suggest that Beauty and the Beast beat the Sunday estimate again and did indeed break the $90M mark in its second weekend.

Insane. It's always a lot of fun when a film continually beats estimates.

Beast matches the second weekend drop of Cinderella despite a much higher opening and ratio to previews. If Beast follows Cinderella's path from here on out, it will make ~$520M. I think at least that much is probably a done deal.

BumRush

Disney can afford to be conservative since $88M in weekend two is still way above expectations...

3N16MA

Banned

Seems like the drop is inline with all the other animated to live action Disney films outside of The Jungle Book.

Are there literally any weekends before Fall with breathing room that Power Rangers could have released on instead?

It could have always done a late summer release in August.

Do for you think it's beating Boss Baby or BatB?

kswiston

Are there literally any weekends before Fall with breathing room that Power Rangers could have released on instead?

August is completely dead. The Emoji Movie might be the biggest release of those scheduled. You also have Annabelle 2, the Nut Job 2, and Baby driver as the primary competition.

August is completely dead. The Emoji Movie might be the biggest release of those scheduled. You also have Annabelle 2, the Nut Job 2, and Baby driver as the primary competition.

So, August back to a shit grossing month this year then? Those will make some money, but not much.

Snaku

Banned

There's a reason why August is dead. It's basically Fuck You, It's January II.

Jesus, I thought for sure legs would be weak on Beauty & the Beast due to the reception I was seeing from women who grew up with the thing.

NOPE.

edit: August isn't really a dumping ground. Hasn't been for a few years now.

Alien Covenant was originally in August, but Fox decided that sandwiching the film between GOTG2 and Pirates 5 was a better choice.
Almost like it is being sent to die.

Jesus, I thought for sure legs would be weak on Beauty & the Beast due to the reception I was seeing from women who grew up with the thing.

NOPE.

August hasn't been a dumping ground for years, but nothing on that list is screaming blockbuster hit to me. There will be some great stuff there, like Baby Driver, but I don't see any of it lighting the box office on fire like we've had for a few Augusts now.

kswiston

NOPE.

The majority of my family back home went as a group and they all loved it. I even heard comments on how perfect Emma Watson was as Belle, which is surprising given the preview clips I saw.

Bulzeeb

Glad Life didn't do well, worst movie I've seen in the past 6 months or so and it is probably the most ripped off I've fell in years

The majority of my family back home went as a group and they all loved it. I even heard comments on how perfect Emma Watson was as Belle, which is surprising given the preview clips I saw.

Yeah, the only person I know who had anything negative to say about it was my 7 year old niece who said it was too long. She still loved it, as did everyone I know who saw it. My dick of a wife saw it without me, and now I've kind of lost interest in going to see it. I'll just wait for the bluray.

I'm actually surprised Wonder Woman isnt launching in August. June is a terrible choice.

At least they moved it up from late June. As is, more or less expecting it to be #1 only for its first week unless The Mummy absolutely bombs. And depending on how well Pirates 5 does, it's going up against its 2nd week.

Seems like the drop is inline with all the other animated to live action Disney films outside of The Jungle Book.

It could have always done a late summer release in August.
Damn, as glad as I am to have seen it already I wish it had released then instead.
It did well this weekend but man it is crowded.

My dad was looking at cinema listings because he wants to watch Logan again but couldn't find it on a good screen because of all the movies releasing. "Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to release these movies one after the other?" is what he said.

kswiston

I don't think that any of the March releases so far would have made all that much more in a different month. Maybe Power Rangers legs or Ghost in the Shell will change my mind, but everything has overperformed relative to tracking so far.

Pirates will just do alright domestically. But overall I think it will be third biggest Disney movie this year after star wars and beauty and the Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom