• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Pirates is quite big overseas

Overseas exchange rates are way down since 2011. On Stranger Tides' $800M overseas gross is equivalent to $580M using current rates.

Unless the franchise blows up with $200M in China, I dont see $1B happening. Even $200M in China probably wont be enough.

Overseas exchange rates are way down sonce 2011. On Stranger Tides' $800M overseas gross is equivalent to $580M using current rates.

Unless the franchise blows up with $200M in China, I dont see $1B happening. Even $200M in China probably wont be enough.

Yeeeesh. That is a big drop.

Ross61

I think Ninjago is a certain bomb after Batman's numbers.

Certainly possible. There's a question mark over it but it could creep up on everybody and gross a billion again.
That would assume it was because of Lego and not Batman. People most likely wasn't interested in Lego Batman. There's definitely an audience for Lego Ninjago.

That's Wednesday on the West Coast, ain't it?

Not too outrageous so far as press embargoes go. That's press day for a lot of alt-weeklies, and a day before press for dailies.

The user on BOT forums tracking AMC presales says Ghost is barely doing better than Baby Boss. It's looking like we're in for a dud performance, at least domestically.

That's Wednesday on the West Coast, ain't it?

Not too outrageous so far as press embargoes go. That's press day for a lot of alt-weeklies, and a day before press for dailies.

Yeah, this is quite typical embargo for bigger movies excluding Star Wars. Our TFA screening was 15 minutes before the movie opened here. And I think it was a whole hour for Rogue One.

kswiston

The Illustrious history of Hollywood Manga/Anime adaptations

Code:
TITLE			YEAR	BUDGET		WW GROSS
The Guyver		1991	$3M		limited release? (no record)
Guyver: Dark Hero	1994	$1M		straight-to-video
Fist of the North Star	1995	$6.5M		straight-to-video
Speed Racer		2008	$120M		$94M
Dragonball Evolution	2009	$30M		$57M
Oldboy			2013	$30M		$5M
Ghost in the Shell	2017	$100M+?		TBD
Death Note		2017	$40-50M		Netflix

If you are desperate, you can count the Edge of Tomorrow, since that was based on an illustrated/light novel.

Either way, Hollywood critical and commercial success in this category of films makes video game adaptations look like comic book adaptations.

Schlorgan

If you are desperate, you can count the Edge of Tomorrow, since that was based on a illustrated/light novel.

Either way, Hollywood critical and commercial success in this category of films makes video game adaptations look like comic book adaptations.

Even if you count Edge of Tomorrow, it's pretty grim.

kswiston

I went to check how the first showing of Ghost in the Shell was doing in my local IMAX, but it looks like they are keeping Beauty and the Beast on Thursday.

EDIT: I can't even buy Thursday tickets for GitS in my town. Either they haven't bothered to put them up for preorder, or they aren't doing a Thursday showing.

I went to check how the first showing of Ghost in the Shell was doing in my local IMAX, but it looks like they are keeping Beauty and the Beast on Thursday.

EDIT: I can't even buy Thursday tickets for GitS in my town. Either they haven't bothered to put them up for preorder, or they aren't doing a Thursday showing.

The imax near me has six tickets sold for the Thursday 7pm show.

jett

D-Member

Code:
TITLE			YEAR	BUDGET		WW GROSS
The Guyver		1991	$3M		limited release? (no record)
Guyver: Dark Hero	1994	$1M		straight-to-video
Fist of the North Star	1995	$6.5M		straight-to-video
Speed Racer		2008	$120M		$94M
Dragonball Evolution	2009	$30M		$57M
Oldboy			2013	$30M		$5M
Ghost in the Shell	2017	$100M+?		TBD
Death Note		2017	$40-50M		Netflix

If you are desperate, you can count the Edge of Tomorrow, since that was based on an illustrated/light novel.

Speed Racer is king, obviously.

Slayven

I was just looking at times for Friday locally. For a movie that is little over 90 minutes there are only 4 showings

Boss baby for sure but it's a toss up if it beats BatB. It'll probably be close.

Wouldn't that have to be a massive drop from BatB to even be close? Or GitS wildly overperforming. Or both.

Last forecast I saw for GitS (and I don't really keep up with this stuff) was ~$32 million or $33 million.

edit: Alice 2010 did $34 million its third weekend, but opened almost $60 million lower than BatB.

kswiston

Weekend actual for Beauty and the Beast ended up being $90,426,717

Power Rangers made $40,300,288

Everything else in the Top 10, other than Life, increased a bit.

Passengers went up 581% in its late run re-expansion. It will complete its 3 month crawl to $100M domestic next weekend. The film also finally opened in Japan last weekend. Based on its weekend gross there, It should also crack the $300M WW mark.

Wouldn't that have to be a massive drop from BatB to even be close? Or GitS wildly overperforming. Or both.

Beauty and the Beast has a pretty good shot at staying above $50M next weekend. It dropped 43% this weekend if you take out the Thursday previews. The same hold next weekend would be $51.5M (above BvS' second weekend).

kswiston

I can't remember, does that exceed Spectre levels of desperation?

It's a pretty sizable bump, but the screen count went up 462% as well.

My issue with Spectre is that the screen count kept going down, while the weekend gross kept going up. Sony had Spectre making $45k on 9 screens in weekend #20, while it was making $23k on 92 screens in weekend #17. People just decided that they really needed to see Spectre at those 9 venues 5 months after release.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I can't believe Passengers will reach $100M domestically! I thought it would at first but then the OW numbers left to be desired, good run.

3N16MA

Banned

I can find showings for Thursday. It seems to be getting UltraAVX screens from BatB and has 5 tickets booked between two showings.

IMAX theatres won't let me go beyond Thursday.

Whoa so my GiTS opening weekend prediction of 35 might be too optimistic? That's not even that big of a opening weekend. Yeesh if it doesn't manage that, then damn

Jesus, I thought for sure legs would be weak on Beauty & the Beast due to the reception I was seeing from women who grew up with the thing.

NOPE.

I mean I guess its just different for everyone. I know tons of people who saw BatB and literally haven't heard one person say they didn't love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom