• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2017 Q3 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 52m (up 13%) Gaming revenue $1.928bn

The profit margin in video games is notoriously low. It's unlikely for Xbox to get more than $1B in profit this year despite how high revenues are.

i would not count that out thanks to digital grow and the absurd high margin thanks to that
but we will never know, as they don't disclose the OI for sub segments in the different divisions

Total Revenue $8.836bn
Windows ~ 4.6bn
Gaming 1.928bn
Surface 0.831bn
Bing ~ 1.7bn
Total Operating Income 2.097bn

Gaming OI is higher than Surface and Bing
But how much every segment is contributing exactly is impossible to know unless you're an accountant or controller at Microsoft

blakep267

The profit margin in video games is notoriously low. It's unlikely for Xbox to get more than $1B in profit this year despite how high revenues are.
I think your underestimating how well the digital side and services are doing. Subscriptions, DLCc, loot boxes etc. they are getting pieces of all that on the digital side

gamz

i would not count that out thanks to digital grow and the absurd high margin thanks to that
but we will never know, as they don't disclose the OI for sub segments in the different divisions

Gaming OI is higher than Surface and Bing
But how much every segment is contributing exactly is impossible to know unless you're an accountant or controller at Microsoft

Don't forget Surface hasn't had a refresh in over a year. That will shoot back up.

4Tran

I think your underestimating how well the digital side and services are doing. Subscriptions, DLCc, loot boxes etc. they are getting pieces of all that on the digital side
Having a higher return per unit sales doesn't change the fact that making video games and consoles comes with high fixed costs. Also bear in mind that around half of Gaming Revenue will be from hardware, and hardware sells at a minimal profit.

i mean, sure, not sharing console sales probably indicates that there's really nothing to show, but MAU is not a bad indicator of how healthy the business is. active users is, in the end, where they bring in the honey. that they bundle PC/Xbox/Phone in one package on the other hand seems a bit misleading.

RowdyReverb

This is a BIT misleading when it comes to Xbox Live monthly active users.

From a year ago, it's up 13%. Yes.

However, from just last quarter, it's actually down more than 5% to 52 million.
It looks like there's a bit of a spike every Q4 though. YOY is more informative because a drop off in Q4 to Q1 is expected

00ich

I think that Phil Spencer said something about this in the Project Scorpio event... They are going to follow​ the hardware upgrade route and maintain the ecosystem of the plafform. I think thats the future of the consoles and is a smart idea.

Microsft needs to regain at lot of influence to make that call.

It's not double but not far off from it either-
Last quarter-
MS gaming - 3.5B
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11074/microsoft-announces-q2-fy-2017-results

Sony gaming - 5.3B
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1340113

fist of all MS gaming revenue was 3.6bn not 3.5bn

Sony is 47% more
That is far off from 100% more (not even half of double the revenue, yet)

at least to my definition

and it's also not the best to compare just one quarter
keep in mind, that Sony released both the Ps4 Pro and Ps VR at $399 that quarter.
it would also be misleading, if we use only the XBox Scorpio launch quarter, when Microsoft will see a huge bump im Gaming revenue

I think that number include everything related to games for Microsoft not only the Xbox One.
Which is basically Xbox and win10 gaming which is their unified platform.

The only non unified platform game they released recently was Halo Wars definitive edition on steam, but that would be off the count anyway.

Edit: I just remembered of Minecraft,that could drive big numbers on other platforms.

gamz

Which is basically Xbox and win10 gaming which is their unified platform.

The only non unified platform game they released recently was Halo Wars definitive edition on steam, but that would be off the count anyway.

Edit: I just remembered of Minecraft,that could drive big numbers on other platforms.

Yeah, I always forget about Minecraft in the gaming equation.

Welfare

All the big ones will want their own version of EA access sooner or later

Expect bright future of having to pay:

XboxLive Gold+XboxGamePass+ EA Access+ Ubi/vivendi Access + Bethesda Access + Activision Access+ .... few years from now
Yes, just like I have to pay EA Access to even TOUCH my EA games. Oh if only these companies allowed me to buy their games separately AND had an option to buy a subscription to access their entire catalog of games.

ethomaz

Banned

Sony is 47% more

keep in mind, that Sony released both the Ps4 Pro and Ps VR at $399 that quarter.
it would also be misleading, if we use only the XBox Scorpio launch quarter, when Microsoft will see a huge bump im Gaming revenue
Let's compare this quarter in few hours. Sony will probably be over $3bn.

bitbydeath

Sony is 47% more

Sony is just 1.7B away from being double that of MS, considering Sonys total is 5.3B, 1.7 is not a large difference by any stretch.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Has Sony shared PS4 Pro numbers?

Exactly. I wonder why ppl think the Scorpio and Pro are supposed to be sales leaders. It's the lower priced version that is.

Any sales from the higher specced systems are going to be low vs the lower ones.

And what does phone-zero mean? Time for them to get out the phone making business?

Unknown?

Not a fair comparison, Sony launched a lot more stuff!
In Q4? I'm guessing you mean software? Even though Sony released VR/Pro in Q3 I can guarantee that it wasn't significant revenue. VR hasn't passed 1M and Pro is an enthusiast console, not mass market.

gamz

Exactly. I wonder why ppl think the Scorpio and Pro are supposed to be sales leaders. It's the lower priced version that is.

Any sales from the higher specced systems are going to be low vs the lower ones.

And what does phone-zero mean? Time for them to get out the phone making business?

I predict!!!! ♏ will be the sales leader for Xbox this holiday.

Edit:. Unless supplies strip demand.

jayu26

It'll be shocked if isn't 4B. Minimum.
Alright gamz, stop this nonsense right now. Putting unrealistic expectations on PlayStation and when it doesn't achieve those insanely lofty goals you will post how disappointed you are. Stop this right now.

gamz

Alright gamz, stop this nonsense right now. Putting unrealistic expectations on PlayStation and when it doesn't achieve those insanely lofty goals you will post how disappointed you are. Stop this right now.

How is that lofty? It's a worldwide brand and a sales leader. I see no reason it can't do double the Xbox this Q. Right?

Sony is just 1.7B away from being double that of MS, considering Sonys total is 5.3B, 1.7 is not a large difference by any stretch.

sure
1.7 billion is no large difference - lol
especially if you have to deal with hardware, that is getting cheaper over time
especially if you talk about a huge holiday quarter with new products launch

so Sony needs to increase their revenue by just 32%, while Microsoft can't increase their revenue at all. Otherwise you need again more than just that tiny 1.7bn

honest question, do you know what you're talking about?
i can tell you now, that Microsofts gaming revenue in the holiday quarter 2017 could be easily around $4.5bn (Scorpio launch and Minecraft F2P edition in China taking off)
so Sony needs to make 9bn to double that.
and 9bn would be a 70% increase over the 5.3bn holiday quarter 2016

that won't happen

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I predict!!!! ♏ will be the sales leader for Xbox this holiday.

Edit:. Unless supplies strip demand.
They must plan on discontinuing the versions they have now today and calling Scorpio next gen.

I don't think XBO games even look or run that bad for the Scorpio to be their sales leader.

Unless it's priced lower than most of us think it's gonna be.

Top Bottom