• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

Rebooting Scalebound *after* fucking over Platinum.

If true - Go fuck yourself, Microsoft.

And if true, then this reeks of a Prey 2 situation. Except I doubt that Microsoft will be able to pull what Bethesda did and redeem themselves with GOTG-tier title that reuses the name.

Love how everyone makes the situation look like there was nothing wrong during production. Kamiya was happily playing in his office with action figures until big bad Spencer came along unannounced and ripped out of his hands.

GAF threads were shitting all over this game from announcement until cancellation, then in turned into the GOTY we would never play.

silva1991

nq7HWgy.jpg

Hexer06

I was pretty positive this was just an extension to hold the name from anyone else. Ah well.. Maybe some year... ;(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Not entirely true. Microsoft's renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark back in 2012 is a good example of it actually being news. May be one of the rare occasions, but still...

They owned the trademark, it was going to expire, they renewed it. It would have happened whether they had a new KI in development or not.

Jumeira

Banned
Phil said in an IGN interview in Feb/March he'd love to with Kamiya again, the whole mess sounds like it was unavoidable with no one at fault.

Durock

They owned the trademark, it was going to expire, they renewed it. It would have happened whether they had a new KI in development or not.

No. The trademark had expired all the way back in 2005. Fox picked up the trademark after its expiration because they aired an unrelated tv show of the same name. When MS decided to revive KI, they sought to renew the trademark in September 2012 but was denied it in November of 2012 due to Fox's ownership of it. In March 2013, MS had retaken ownership of it after making whatever deal with Fox or buying it back.

Phil said in an IGN interview in Feb/March he'd love to with Kamiya again, the whole mess sounds like it was unavoidable with no one at fault.

That's very likely it. Because if it had been all MS at fault here you can be damn sure we would have had the nitty gritty about it by now.

It's still fucking sad though. Of all Xbox games I was so damn waiting to see it on Scorpio.

Phil says a lot of things. And it was mostly MS's fault for what went wrong with Phantom Dust and Fable and Platinum is usually an efficient studio so it's probably MS's fault for cancelling another game again.

mas8705

I'd like to say that this could mean that Scalebound could still be a possibility, but at the same time, I don't want to start looking at this from the perspective of something that is going to happen eventually if this doesn't count as a confirmation of it starting over again.

We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Phil is always saying he'd "love to" do this or that but he never actually does any of these things. He's just doing his typical PR bull like Reggie does. Can't take him seriously.

Jumeira

Banned
Phil is always saying he'd "love to" do this or that but he never actually does any of these things. He's just doing his typical PR bull like Reggie does. Can't take him seriously.
Erm... he commissioned 2 new consoles, one being a huge leap in power, packed full of great features, brought backwards compatibility like we've not seen before, and a host of changes to the core of Xbox (like digital refunds, opened up XBL, 4k drive).... he has done alot unlike Reggie, he has power to do what he wants unlike Reggie.

They are nothing alike, NOJ drive Nintendo, Phil drives Xbox, he can make things happen.

Phil says a lot of things. And it was mostly MS's fault for what went wrong with Phantom Dust and Fable and Platinum is usually an efficient studio so it's probably MS's fault for cancelling another game again.

Unlikely, Fable Legends was poor from the get go, Fable 3 was mediocre before that, it's all on Lionhead, Phantom Dust is out now for free, seems like you lot keep clutching at straws over games that were not really anticipated by the fanbase. I'd rather they cancel those games and put money resources to better quality games. MS saved Titanfall, if it wasn't for Geoff's article you'd be lumping that as an example of interfering MS screwing up Respawn.

Erm... he commissioned 2 new consoles, one being a huge leap in power, packed full of great features, brought backwards compatibility like we've not seen before, and a host of changes to the core of Xbox (like digital refunds, opened up XBL, 4k drive).... he has done alot unlike Reggie, he has power to do what he wants unlike Reggie.

They are nothing alike, NOJ drive Nintendo, Phil drives Xbox, he can make things happen.

How come this reads like an advertisement?

SRTtoZ

Uh why would MS have told everyone it was cancelled if it was secretly resumed by a different studio? Makes no sense, they would have announced a reboot or something. No reason to keep people in the dark about that.

Love how everyone makes the situation look like there was nothing wrong during production. Kamiya was happily playing in his office with action figures until big bad Spencer came along unannounced and ripped out of his hands.

GAF threads were shitting all over this game from announcement until cancellation, then in turned into the GOTY we would never play.

If you look at the history of how MS has worked with outside (and internal, really) studios (particularly that Phantom Dust story) and look at the history of how well Platinum has worked with all of the publishers they've worked with and honestly believe that Scalebound looking like shit and then getting cancelled wasn't 100% MS' fault you're either a delusional MS fanboy, a delusional Platinum anti-fanboy, or both (in which case: sup, Arthur Gies!)

If MS just left Platinum alone for a couple of years and let them make a Platinum game, they'd have made a solid Platinum game. But they did the opposite of that and kept bloating it with more feature demands like MP, so it got cancelled. MS' and Platinum's histories point to that being the only realistic narrative here.

atr0cious

lol

them handing it over to a western studio might actually make it into a decent project not the boring looking crap platinum was working on
This has never been said about a single Platinum game until now, how is it not obvious that they were suggested down a different path rather than what brings them success?

lol

them handing it over to a western studio might actually make it into a decent project not the boring looking crap platinum was working on

Even though this game will never be revived, that would be the biggest lol of the gen seeing as the entire point of this game existing, and what MS was bragging about, was having a big "Japanese" exclusive game to add to their library.

Even though this game will never be revived, that would be the biggest lol of the gen seeing as the entire point of this game existing, and what MS was bragging about, was having a big "Japanese" exclusive game to add to their library.

Pretty much.

Like I said a few pages back- the entire reason why the Scalebound IP had any value was because of Platinum. If anything it would have negative value if anyone else made a game with that IP, because that game's sales/critical reception would inevitably be haunted by the ghost of the game Platinum would have made had MS not fucked them. They'd be better off making a new IP that just happened to liberally borrow ideas from Scalebound than using that IP wholesale again.

Exactly. Platinum was paid and it wasn't working out.

Caayn

There's probably more than meets the eye between MS and Plat. With that said I do need to agree that it's funny and sad at the same time how the interest in this game skyrocketed after it got cancelled.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Removing Platinum from the project and handing off Kamiya's self-professed dream game to some mercenary studio? Would go over so well here
lol.gif

This is what I was thinking. Didn't the idea for the IP start with Kamiya? I know business is business and Platinum probably shares some of the blame for what happened, but that's just a cruel move from a creative perspective.

Mechazawa

Can we take a moment to establish that literally anyone with a purple M in their twitter handle should never be taken seriously?

le.phat

This thread=Microsoft are villains, Platinum are saints. Bad Microsoft, always a villain

Platinum has a pedigree of high quality game design. While managed right, they created NieR Automata in two years dev time, which will go down as one of the highlights of this generation.

Microsoft has a pedigree of mismanaging games and studios with feature creep, poor communication, and even dropping trailers of games that are still in concept stage. They also have a knack for killing off stuff however late, rather then cultivating the franchise and course correct with a sequel.

Don't even trip dog.

Hektor

This thread=Microsoft are villains, Platinum are saints. Bad Microsoft, always a villain

Microsoft has defacto fucked over a multitude of devs this gen, cancelling half a dozen exclusive first party games in the process, where as platinum is known to make high quality titles in extremely efficient manner.

It's really not that hard to see why people want to give platinum the benefit of a doubt and not Microsoft.

Ask lionhead, ask obsidian, ask access games, ask darksides

Lol, I hope you're getting paid for this

For good reason.
1. MS has a history of cancelling projects and fucking over devs they work with
2. Platinum has a history of releasing high quality action games for surprisingly tight budgets. Whether it's continuing/reworking other projects (MGS), working with 1st parties (Bayo 2 and Wonderful 101) or working on licensed properties (Transformers Devastation)

Given those points, 2 especially, is why people are leaning more towards MS being at fault

Neff

MS wants to do something with their -no doubt- substantial investment and assets from this project. They may have also been surprised by the backlash/interest and had a bit of a re-think. Either way, if this game ever does see release-

- It will have nothing to do with PlatinumGames going forward.
- It will be 'completed' by another developer, possibly one of the stateside teams working on the game.
- It will be a depressing shadow of what might have been.

Or they're making a TV show.

My only interest in Scalebound was due to Kamiya's involvement. If it is another developer, I don't give a shit anymore.

Literally, factually, scientifically, unequivocally this.

If they just throw some team onto a Platinum foundation and act like it's their baby, it'll feel really incredulous for me, regardless of the results.

Pretty much this. I love how suddenly the game has all these fans.

Top Bottom