• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

atr0cious

Whatever the direction MS was aiming, this was the gameplay Kamiya presented himself, which didn't look any better than the awkward stuff we saw years prior.

I doubt MS was in their ear saying "make the characters run animation completely terrible", "put a giant enemy crab boss and then show the most boring combat piece anyone has ever witnessed".

As for the bolded, this wasn't the first time that this game was shown looking like complete jank. Everything would've been locked down to bugfix for release after this point.
It's almost like MS can choose what to focus on at their conference, and they're all about online multiplayer. But the meat and potatoes of the game aren't that, since that was supposed to be a penultimate boss, which obviously wasn't nearly finished, especially with W101 in the back of his mind. Have you seen this video or write ups about this kind of stuff? If they had shown more the stuff in the video, I guarantee the reception would have been a lot warmer.

The concept is really cool, but the preview videos somehow made gameplay which should be fun look really boring. I'm hopeful the rebooted effort will inject some fun into it. I was originally really excited for this game.

yurinka

What if they never canned it and continued secretly working on it, with the idea of "resurrecting" it at E3 and to release it this fall?

67d358f5_o.png

343?
That would be a legit surprise.

Marcel

It's amazing that people still give credence to "insiders" and professional marks after all the controversies around Mass Effect Andromeda and Nintendo Switch.

Likely sitting on the trademark, it happens often. Either way, even if they've handed the the IP to another developer it won't matter to me. I was only ever interested in Scalebound because of Kamiya and Platinum Games were behind it.

Zero interest in a non-Kamiya Scalebound. I'll freely admit the game didn't look amazing in any of the footage they released, but I had faith because it was a Kamiya game; the man only knows how to make winners. It might not have showed off well, but once I had my hands on the final product it would have come together and been something special.

But just looking at it as a basic premise for some Western developer to come in and rebuild? ...No thanks.

In the other thread we concluded that it must be Lionhead, as we had someone claim insider information on Twitter:

Don't believe everything you find on Twitter.

If it were Lionhead I'd be open to it. At least they have a proven track record of making action RPGs.

D3VI0US

I don't see why MS would waste their time with this game, or Phantom Dust, ReCore, or a lot of their other half hearted efforts with games that were never that good to being with. Scalebound always looked like garbage to me, from the concept of a douchey knock off Dante with headphones to the actually gameplay. If they do release it, it's gonna bomb hard.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping this is just trademark renewal a/la Nintendo & Eternal Darkness.
I'm also of the mindset that taking the idea and giving it to a Western developer will result in major mediocrity and a lot of pissed off fans.

Though I wouldn't mind if Nintendo gave Eternal Darkness to a new developer, but in this case it's kind of required since Silicon Knights is deader than dead.

EDIT: There it is.

Microsoft giving Platinum's fucking game to another studio would definitely be a way to make them look like the anus of the generation again.

Baleoce

Surprised an edited version of that coffin gif hasn't surfaced yet with Spencer holding up a copy of Scalebound, and Kamiya looking on in shock.

Before this game was cancelled all I remember was people saying it looked terrible. There was far more excitement about the game after it was cancelled than before.

I actually think MS owns a team that is comprised of former PD members. Who made the Crimson Dragon game? It was not too bad for a 1st gen title. I think some of its hate came from it being too much like the original PD.

No the hate was that it wasn't close to being like Panzer Dragoon and add the fact it had a really horrible control scheme.

Before this game was cancelled all I remember was people saying it looked terrible. There was far more excitement about the game after it was cancelled than before.

Exactly.

Although that insider guy is full of shit, I found this tweet from Shannon Loftis interesting..

https://twitter.com/shannonloftis/status/865200274436104192

Maybe they are doing something with Scalebound after all?

Look at Shannon's reply further down that thread, it's nothing.

Scalebound is dead, accept it and move on.

On one hand I'd be happy to see 343 get off the Halo train and work on something else TBH.

On the other hand, Kamiya and Platinum was the only reason I was interested in this game.

Meh?

The MisterX Media link is enough to label this as false, if it were true though, I'd like to see Valhalla Studios on it. Itagaki and Microsoft are close, they helped him set-up Valhalla, and he knows how to make a great action game.

Will probably not resemble the original in any way, not even the character will look the same and will be replaced with generic white male protagonist.

The player character was already a generic white guy lol.

This is either a troll comment or you're ignorant of the game to begin with.

Top Bottom