• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Scalebound trademark

Floody

Sweet, MS have their own Last Guardian now. E3 just isn't the same without a number of games "that'll be shown definitely this time" x3000.

It's probably nothing, but it'd love to be wrong, be a legit surprise from MS if Platinum are onboard again too.

Have fun trying to parse this embarrassing damage control

LWqP6JP.png

looooool delicious!

Obviously they're taking Kamiya's final threat seriously.

"Fuck you, eat shit. I'ma go to Sony and make Scalebound there, with hookers, and blackjack. "

big fake

Microsoft needed more Japan support. They have litiniy of US first parties. That's fine and dandy, but Japanese game design is fresh in between US produced games.

No Platinum makes me even less interested in it. I rather they make a new IP then fall back on a failsafe that wasn't even doing well in terms of hype amongst gamers.

Floody

It's bizarre how this game got more attention after it was canceled. Even the hype threads were dwarfed.

This site has a lot of Platinum fans, I'm guessing after it was cancelled people started to think what it could have been, instead of what was shown. Also, I'm pretty sure it ranked highly in a most anticipated thread, so possibly had a large silent following.

Don't really know what to think.

I know it looked bad after e3 demos, but I was still excited for it and would have bought a Scorpio for it.

Aranjah

At this point I refuse to get my hopes up. I assume it's nothing, and I'll continue assuming that until further notice.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Trademark renewals are not news people.

Every company keeps on their IP renewals for one simple reason: If they let it lapse, then someone else releases a game with that name and it's a big hit, they then have to explain to their shareholders why they cancelled it.

It's not resumed development, this literally means nothing.

Every company keeps on their IP renewals for one simple reason: If they let it lapse, then someone else releases a game with that name and it's a big hit, they then have to explain to their shareholders why they cancelled it.

Exactly this.

Varjis

I don't know which is more humorous, the fact that MS renewed the trademark or the fact that some people think that Kamiya's "Dream Game" was actually worth a damn. Every showing of it was meh.

At this point, rebooting it will only work if they scrap the whole design. Sure there will be backlash but it will still be better than having a studio try to finish what Kamiya started, that will seem like a poor facsimile.

We'll probably get Lair 2 sans SixAxis. ;)

why wont you let me dream?

Tryxx

I just want this game to come out the whole thought of having an RPG like this with coop and dragons just sounds like so much fun. Then I saw the gameplay and instantly loss all hype, i just dont think platinum were making a good game, it just looked so damn dull when the game should have been looking amazing.

silva1991

Yeah...

When was the last time a game was officially cancelled and not far later was given to another dev to make it?

For what it's worth, and I know it ain't much, this alleged leaker is claiming his source is a friend involved in "dubbing" who told him they're starting over from scrap. That by itself isn't exactly a glamorous source, but I'm dubious of a game that's supposedly in the nascent stages of rebooting would already be informing any parties involved in dubbing the game.

The trademark renewal by itself never meant anything, it's standard practice.

NolbertoS

No Platinum, No Kamiya involvement, zero interest for me MS. Its like yanking a FF game from Square and letting EA try to make a JRPG. Those two don't go together. Unless MS begs Kamiya to come back, I'd rathet they reboot Fable instead

Leyasu

Banned
Not according to GAF reactions. The last gameplay showing had some really negative reactions and it was _in fact_ made by Platinum and Kamiya. So......

Yep. After the e3 showing, the reactions were negative. It suddenly became a must have after the cancellation

Durock

Not entirely true. Microsoft's renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark back in 2012 is a good example of it actually being news. May be one of the rare occasions, but still...

KingV

There would be nothing more offensive then taking the game away from platinum. I would never forgive Microsoft, this is the last straw if true.

This game was basically what I was holding out for on Xbone. I was going to replace my Bone with a Scorpio just to play this game in all of its glory.

I still can't believe they cancelled it. After Nier, it's clear this game would have been great.

Tryxx

There would be nothing more offensive then taking the game away from platinum. I would never forgive Microsoft, this is the last straw if true.

Why are you auto assuming that this was MS fault? Sounds a bit like you are already wanting to blame MS for something that we dont even know what happened. Do you really think MS wanted to lose their huge blockbuster for this year? Also do you know how much money they probably already had spent on the game? There is no reason other than they feel they had stop development on Scalebound, there is no chance in hell MS would of took that money loss with no issue, or lose their huge AAA for this year just because they wanted to take it away from platinum.

jmizzal

In about 5 years it will be announced again as a different game with a different team kinda like the new Prey is to Prey 2 demo

Roboculus

It's just a trademark renewal, don't read into it.

It also doesn't make much sense for them to reuse the name on a different game. The old name carries too much baggage. I mean shit, even when Square-Enix rebooted FF Versus 13 , they still changed the name.

Yeah Bethesda did it with Prey but I'm not sure how many people think that was a good idea. I feel like the only reason Bethesda did it is because they paid for the IP.

In about 5 years it will be announced again as a different game with a different team kinda like the new Prey is to Prey 2 demo

It was a bad idea when Bethesda did it and it would still be a bad idea if MS did it. Also, the name isn't even that great (and carries a ton of baggage) so why reuse it? There's like no positives to reusing it but a ton of negatives.

Lady Gaia

Before this game was cancelled all I remember was people saying it looked terrible.

You have a somewhat selective memory. It's true that many thought it showed strong signs of being a disappointment, but equally true that it was the most anticipated Xbox One console exclusive.

There was far more excitement about the game after it was cancelled than before.

That's harder to argue with. I guess it's a matter of comparing hopes and fears and seeing which one is predominant in a given discussion. When under development it's natural to express concerns in the hope that they'll be heard and help influence the direction of the product. Once cancelled, people are forced to give up their hopes for the title and express regret that it will never have the opportunity to live up to them.

No Platinum, No Kamiya involvement, zero interest for me MS. Its like yanking a FF game from Square and letting EA try to make a JRPG. Those two don't go together. Unless MS begs Kamiya to come back, I'd rathet they reboot Fable instead

Final Fantasy now an annual series with Orlando Bloom/Legolas as its first cover celebrity!

dottme

That's how we end up with Sudeki. They try to get a western studio to do a JRPG.
Sudeki.jpg

Seik

Banned
What was that trademark that was renewed recently by Nintendo...Eternal Darkness?

We got jack shit, I wouldn't expect much out of this.

The game looked bad and I understand why it was cancelled. It had a decent concept that could be interesting if given to a different developer, maybe.

But it looks like this is nothing more than standard renewal stuff so meh.

Rebooting Scalebound *after* fucking over Platinum.

If true - Go fuck yourself, Microsoft.

And if true, then this reeks of a Prey 2 situation. Except I doubt that Microsoft will be able to pull what Bethesda did and redeem themselves with GOTG-tier title that reuses the name.

What was that trademark that was renewed recently by Nintendo...Eternal Darkness?

We got jack shit, I wouldn't expect much out of this.

Nintendo has a reason to keep renewing it though - Keeping the name firmly out of Denis Dyack's hands.

Top Bottom