• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best commentators in competitive gaming?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm consistently impressed by the commentators in the Overwatch competitive scene. For as many things going on at once as there are, the guys do an incredible job maintaining some cohesion during their play-by-plays.

MSMrRound

James Chen/Ultradavid combo.

Makes watching in on fighting games pretty accessible to even for those who are just casually watching.

Formless

I like EE in Smash 4, and he's really improved in the past couple years

James Chen isn't the greatest but when he's on it just feels...familiar?

Ultimadrago

Yipes and Seth Killian can get me excited about any Fighting Game match (even the bad ones). In turn, that also makes the truly great matches all the better!

JayEH

UltraChen, Tasty Steve, Zhi, Sajam, Yipes, Lee Chung, Seth Killian, Mike Ross. All fighting game (mostly SF centered) commentators.

Tasteless and Artosis in StarCraft II (and recently, Brood War). Nothing compares, and that nobody here named them immediately here tells me none of you follow competitive StarCraft.

Tasteless and Artosis in StarCraft II (and recently, Brood War). Nothing compares, and that nobody here named them immediately here tells me none of you follow competitive StarCraft.

Roughly 2 years into Sc2 Tasteless was awful, whereas Artosis was one of the best. That didn't change for a long time, certainly not before I lost my interest in SC2 anyways. Dunno how it is nowadays.

I think Supatease is a pretty good WoW one. I started watching him long ago and he said he hoped he could one day commentate. Really cool to see him doing some of that recently.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yipes and Seth Killian can get me excited about any Fighting Game match (even the bad ones). In turn, that also makes the truly great matches all the better!

Agreed, though I also want to give a shoutout to Aris and Markman though for their fantastic Tekken commentary. And Tasty Steve too!

I forgot what tournament it was, but I remember Markman and Tasty Steve taking turns playing their favorite songs from past installments while matches were getting prepped and it was so much fun to see both their reaction as well as the chat's.

JusDoIt

Anyone that says otherwise has not watched enough FGC coverage. Other games have decent commentators but they don't touch these two.

What makes Yipes and Lee so great is you know they could just as easily host a rap battle or commentate a slam dunk contest and it would still be hype.

Yipes, Persia, UltraDavid, and James Chen.

Note how Yipe and Persia are often a commentating duo, as well as UltraDavid and James Chen. These pairs work really well and a lot of my favorite FG matches have been commentated by these pairs.

Åesop;240768020 said:

Yeah, a commentator that stops talking about the match and starts harassing a female player... A perfect representation of the FGC's biggest problem.

Basketball

Aris for Tekken/MK/Injustass ... He is the best commentator period for games he's interested in (he
doesn't like SFV like many others

Aris/Rip
Aris/Tasty Steve

Legendary Combo of Aris/Seth for SF4

Yipes/Lee Chung for SFV

Yipes/Kbrad for Marvel

Top Bottom