• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best commentators in competitive gaming?

GamerJM

Banned
In my experience (with fighting games, mainly Smash Melee/PM though), the best commentators are also usually the people who can't commentate a lot because they're top players so they make it too far in tournament to be able to commentate. Though it really depends on if you're looking for interesting personality and easy to understand explanations of what's going on vs. in-depth game analysis.

Wildo09

I don't know much about esports but the splatoon commentators at the tournament yesterday were pretty good.

Peléo;240765280 said:
Frodan for Hearthstone
Webs and Wobbles for Melee
HomemadeWobbles makes for a godly commentary duo.

And waffles and Phil.

And the black plague.

And the 4 -god couch @ smash summit 1, butthats not sustainable cause they're usually too busy winning.

Smash is obviously the only thing I watch regularly. I enjoy overarching too but haven't gotten past the "ESPN twilight zone" feeling of the high production values. It feels like parody

Sanctuary

Best commentator is the volume all the way down. But if I have to give a legitimate answer, probably either Seth K. or maybe Ultradavid. Worst? James Chen used to be by far, but I suppose he's gotten slightly better since 2008. Zhi is pretty obnoxious though. He spends more time screaming into the mic or talking about random shit that has nothing to do with what is actually going on. Fighting games in gernal don't lend themselves well to commentary in the same way that typical sports games due simply because of their pace and everything that can happen within a few seconds. The commentary stuff started as the FCGs own take on sports radio to try and legitimize the genre even more, but no one gives a shit what flavor of Hot Pockets is your favorite or that someone's hat looks like a banana.

James Chen/Ultradavid combo.

Makes watching in on fighting games pretty accessible to even for those who are just casually watching.

Ultradavid literally counteracts James' inteptitude though. I seriously cannot listen to James without Ultradavid there to actually give relevant information and not simply sound like he's guessing at what is happening on screen, or simply responding after it happened instead of giving predictions or strategies. James would always just fumble his way through everything.

James Chen. Dude is just too considerate to newcomers and always goes out of his way to explain FG Terminology and mechanics.

Probably because he's still trying to learn them himself.

TacosNSalsa

I gotta go with team bff.. Yipes is great almost always but Lee Chung can get a bit repetitive at times..probably that bottle of rum they be drinking :p. Zhi has me cracking up too

Top Bottom