• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best commentators in competitive gaming?

For SFV

if we're talking comedy it has to be ZHI and Mike Ross

if we're talking about straight seriosness with great and knowledgable commentary then look no further than James Chen and Ultra David.

Special Mention to Tasty Steve and Sajam. Sajam particularly is the king of segways. Like seriously how does he segway like that.

fhqwhgads

When it comes to Melee I always enjoyed DJ Nintendo. When he plays too it seems like the commentators go out of their way to try and one up his commentary, almost feels like he commentates his own matches when they try to channel his style.

"dr. subzero rockefeller from family fun zone third strike videos"

That's a deep cut, but I agree. One of the OGs of FGC commentary.

The usual other FGC commentators, Seth Killian, Ultra-chen, Yipes/Lee Chung, Tasty Jam, Aris.

2GD when he did Quake commentary.

zenspider

James Chen/Ultradavid combo.

Makes watching in on fighting games pretty accessible to even for those who are just casually watching.

+1

They are so knowledgeable and know when to bring the hype. They also have the least cringe-worthy banter between matches (like Zhi).

Your joke is literally 5 years late.

I don't get how you could take what he did in a joking manner. He acted like a scumbag and still to this day has quite an ego on him. Never really seemed sorry. But I guess interesting commentary is more important.

People continuing to get a free pass for sexist behavior in the FGC just because they were "sorry" sure isn't doing the community any favors.

I'll stop myself there since this is a thread about good commentators that help the e-sports scene.

Chjemah

Neo Member
Jatt and Kobe from League are decent color casters. Captain Flowers does great play-by-play, especially compared to Phreak and Riv who are awful imo.

Rockk

Sideshow, Gecks, and Admirable are some of the best TF2 commentators. Sideshow and Gecks at i55 was fantastic to say the least

Zyrox

TKBreezy, EE and D1 for Smash 4
UltraChen, Seth Killian and Mike Ross for Street Fighter
Aris and Rip for Tekken

I don't get how you could take what he did in a joking manner. He acted like a scumbag and still to this day has quite an ego on him. Never really seemed sorry. But I guess interesting commentary is more important.

People continuing to get a free pass for sexist behavior in the FGC just because they were "sorry" sure isn't doing the community any favors.

I'll stop myself there since this is a thread about good commentators that help the e-sports scene.

You realize Maranda & Aris are friends & have joked about the situation multiple times since right? Aris apologized, Maranda accepted it, they let it go, why are you hung up on it?

I was super pissed at Aris too in 2012. However since he never had an incident before or after & that incident happened in a very unnatural enviroment(24 hour reality show where everyone was stressed & trying to be entertaining) I am willing to forgive.

He was trying to be funny & crossed the line. He apologized, acknowleged his mistake, & hasn't done it since.

Fuck that though, guy is clearly a scumbag & never changed right?

B_Boss

I think Corey Dunn is/was one of the absolute best (or at least one of my top favs). I could listen to that guy commentate for shooters all day...

dezzy8

I like the Yipes and Tasty Steve combo. Or Yipes and Magnus. Pretty much Yipes and anybody except for James Chen.

Budi

Thanks for providing some context, I was wondering why people were calling the comment a joke (I still do). Seems like the only joke is Aris himself.

When I followed competitive Dota 2, I liked Merlini.

galvatron

UltraChen, Tasty Steve, Zhi, Sajam, Yipes, Lee Chung, Seth Killian, Mike Ross. All fighting game (mostly SF centered) commentators.

You've mostly got me covered, with the following additions:

Persia is also good for play by play in marvel.

Rush Hour (Chris Hu and AquaSilk) are hilarious.
No one is more insightful than JWong on MvC2.

smokeyp

For fighting games:

Aris, Seth Killian, Ultradavis, Yipes, Justin Wong (he is so underrated as a commentator/analyst)

Edit: adding nuki, kokujin, a-ru on the jp side.

HardRojo

Yipes, Seth Killian, Tasty Steve, Sajam (didn't enjoy his commentary that much when he first started, but he's great now) and Chris Matrix (he needs to come back for DBZ with Yipes).
UltraChen is fine for all kinds of audiences I believe, as they try to make it accessible for non players.

Zhi is great
when he's a million miles away from the mic.

Zhi of course.
This should be a bannable offense.

Edit: I can't fucking wait for Yipes commentating DBZ Top 8 at EVO next year! Shit's going to be insane!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
- Tastosis
- ODPixel is honestly and amazing hype commentator
- Synderen/Tobi
- Blitz/Cap
-----
Moon, Crit, Notail summit casting...

Top Bottom