• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Takahashi's message on Xenoblade Chronicles 2

She is the sword right ? Do that mean she is welding herself in this picture ? How do that work

giphy.gif

Korigama

Let's look at them all.

I disagree. I think Pyra's is much more in your face about it.
If you insist. Details such as cleavage, midriff, or the garter w/thigh high boots seem more designed with titillation rather than practicality in mind for a combat android, hence why I don't see anything better or worse than the choices for Pyra.

If you insist. Details such as cleavage, midriff, or the garter w/thigh high boots seem more designed with titillation rather than practicality in mind for a combat android, hence why I don't see anything better or worse than the choices for Pyra.

I was just thinking. For all the silliness that Pyra's outfit has, at least it has a decent pair of shoes and doesn't look actively painful to traverse landscapes in.

brad-t

Xeno* definitely has a history of risqué (and dumb) character designs, but during the Xenoblade 2 stream Pyra's ass is constantly in your face as you walk around. Having another character constantly between the player character and the camera is annoying enough in general, though.

She is the sword right ? Do that mean she is welding herself in this picture ? How do that work

Wasn't Shulk and the Bionis both the body of Samza? They've had this kind of stuff in Xenoblade since the first game.

No, but people won't stop complaining. I'm okay with Pyra and Rex's designs, there are others fuglier imo.

Korigama

I was just thinking. For all the silliness that Pyra's outfit has, at least it has a decent pair of shoes and doesn't look actively painful to traverse landscapes in.
True, the lack of high heels on Pyra is noteworthy.
No, but people won't stop complaining. I'm okay with Pyra and Rex's designs, there are others fuglier imo.
I admit to not being a fan at all of Rex's design (or the decision to skew so young with him), but I do expect there'll be decent alternatives for his look.

DJIzana

You know... it's interesting how each titan theme has a city and jobs that revolve around what theme the titan is. Granblue Fantasy legit has the same thing. Each island has a different theme and each city is based around the theme of the island. I like it.

To another note, I really hope we also see a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles X still and I really hope that if we do, we get some graphical improvements to some degree. I know during the Treehouse event they said it was still undergoing polish (I noticed a fair bit of pop in and it just seemed like X had more foliage etc). Maybe it's just me but yeah... you'd think with the Switch, we'd see some graphical improvements. Then again, it was being developed along side X so... guess that wasn't possible.

MogCakes

I'd still say Pyra takes it.
They're all designed to titillate. For me it's Pyra literally just wearing thong shorts with requisite straps, showing as much skin as possible. KOS MOS wears a leotard or has a flap/non-skin-colored-skin covering her bits/thighs. But again - just my personal opinion, since I always find exposed thighs/cheeks/lower back more titillating than cleavage.

I mean, I'll play this and am super excited for it, but please Takahashi. Please let the next Xeno project be on caliber with Xenogears and Xenosaga in terms of story-scope and concept.

TZchassis

Is it just me or is the character in the trailer thumbnail look waaay better than the rest of the cast (but looks out of place with the designs of the other characters).

Hattori

Banned
I know there’s people concerned about “Pyra” but don’t worry. Once you recognize the secret reason for her big boobies, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Timeaisis

I don't really dig the character designs, and I really did not care for XCX. That being said, Takahashi can make some great games, so I'm still hoping this is great. I hope it's more similar to the original than XCX. More tight and story focused and less single player mmo. We shall see.

MogCakes

Covered breasts and short shorts...I'd say Pyra's outfit covers the necessary body parts. Cleavage, underboobs, panty shots...that's more in your face IMO.
I think it's more the massive amount of skin and the fact that the shorts are bordering panty-level of coverage and appear disconnected from the rest of her clothes that makes it so in your face. If her shorts were a little longer, then her design would actually be fairly tame as far as blatant fan service goes.

Korigama

They're all designed to titillate. For me it's Pyra literally just wearing thong shorts with requisite straps, showing as much skin as possible. KOS MOS wears a leotard or has a flap/non-skin-colored-skin covering her bits/thighs. But again - just my personal opinion, since I always find exposed thighs/cheeks/lower back more titillating than cleavage.
I never said they weren't. That said, what one finds most appealing is indeed subjective.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. This character is blatant pedo garbage that you see all the time in games like this.

Xenoblade didn't really fall into this trap to my knowledge, so why this?
Now we're using words for the sake of using them, I see. Would make more sense if they established an age for her to begin with (it's not like the other games didn't do so for its casts, either).

And there were such examples of appealing to more prurient sensibilities from the original Xenoblade mentioned already. The speed set armors for
Fiora
are easily another.

I never said they weren't. That said, what one finds most appealing is indeed subjective.

Now we're using words for the sake of using them, I see. Would make more sense if they established an age for her to begin with (it's not like the other games didn't do so for its casts, either).

And there were such examples from the original Xenoblade mentioned already. The speed set armors for
Fiora
are easily another.

You telling me she's anything older than 12? They could have given her any face they wanted and they chose the one that makes her look like a child.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
'Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra (2006): Author, Music Coordinator, Supervisor of Scenario and Database'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi

Says he was the author, but I don't know how reliable this is.

He was credited as the author due to it being Xenosaga, his title on Episode II was Original Author & Supervisor. Norihiko Yonesaka was the scenario writer for both II and III.

Mister Wolf

He was a supervisor, he didn't write or direct it

The game while good, is still very much not in line with something he created.

So being a supervisor for a game from his company that represents his Xeno series he obviously was ok with the two androids design.

anaron

'Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra (2006): Author, Music Coordinator, Supervisor of Scenario and Database'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi

Says he was the author, but I don't know how reliable this is.
Takahashi and Soraya were fired from the Xenosaga series after 1, no involvement in 2 and with 3, a very strained and distant relationship with the series due to Namco and the premature wrap up. He did not have any sort of clout with 3 like he did with 1, let alone direct it.

Sure he was more involved, but it didn't come close to where was before and where he stands now.

cm osi

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. This character is blatant pedo garbage that you see all the time in games like this.

Xenoblade didn't really fall into this trap to my knowledge, so why this?

she sure is well endowed to be material for pedos

Jarmel

Banned
You telling me she's anything older than 12? They could have given her any face they wanted and they chose the one that makes her look like a child.

Most likely. A lot of designs like this are simplified and so don't necessarily represent a character's true age.

Korigama

With the exception of this guy and the one in the trailer thumbnail, no one they've shown so far has a face that looks particularly old (or realistic) in the art style they chose.
There's basically no chance NoA won't censor Pyra. lol
We'll see. Not seeing anything worse than anything in either Kozaki Fire Emblem in her case, I'd say.

Taruranto

Xeno games always had fanservice, even if you go as far back as Gears. No pants-Elly, the elements, Kislev NPC...

My issue with this Xeno game character design is that it is really ugly. Ugly faces, ugly color schemes.

Takahashi and Soraya were fired from the Xenosaga series after 1, no involvement in 2 and with 3, a very strained and distant relationship with the series due to Namco and the premature wrap up. He did not have any sort of clout with 3 like he did with 1, let alone direct it.

Sure he was more involved, but it didn't come close to where was before and where he stands now.

Soraya said Namco was always very supportive of them actually, Monolith itself was the one that fucked them over when they decided to change the series' direction with II. Ep. II failed and hence they brought back Takahishi for III.

anaron

Xeno games always had fanservice, even if you go as far back as Gears. No pants-Elly, the elements, Kislev NPC...

My issue with this Xeno game character design is that it is really ugly. Ugly faces, ugly color schemes.

Soraya said Namco was always very supportive of them actually, Monolith itself was the one that fucked them over when they decided to change the series' direction with II. Ep. II failed and hence they brought back Takahishi for III.

They brought him back in a supervisory role. Soraya wasn't there, Tanaka gone, Mitsuda, etc.

The only point I'm trying to make is that in comparison, the game and character designs were a far cry from Episode 1's scientist Shion and largely unsexualized KOS-MOS to unbuttoned pants and underboob crotch hole Androids.

Waji

The original Xenoblade didn't exactly set Japan on fire. I'm guessing the more anime, fanservicey, Tales of style is meant to appeal more to the Japanese audience.

I'll buy it regardless, but I do prefer the original's style.
I'm seeing as many troll posts from japanese people if not more than here.
Some are saying it's too "JRPG" (Huh...) or that it's a PS2 HD remaster.

Top Bottom