• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Takahashi's message on Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Filter

Hearing him mention Galaxy Express 999 like that just makes me wish they'd make a good 999 game. Not much comes close to the surreal childlike logic of that story.

And it would need ugly tetsuro. Not that pretty boy anime version.

latest

Buzzi

If he really doesn't want to write solemn philosophical (maybe cringe for someone) games then he should not have made a 100+ hours prequel with A TON of misteries and ending with a cliffhanger. I don't care if X was disliked by most here and if the concept changed in the years, he didn't script it etc., it's Golden Sun all over again and he should not be proud to leave it at that at all as a writer.

That said, I've understood through multiple interviews that he loves to contradict himself so often, it's actually the third bit of info about the future of the series from this E3 and also the third time he seems to change his stance...

jdstorm

Banned
This sounds amazing. Great Love stories in video games are reasonably rare and often tragic. If Monolith Soft are serious about giving this type of story their best effort thats a really good thing.

Good Luck Everyone, can't wait to play your game when it is finished.

SOLDIER

Xenogears was already a Boy-meets-Girl game.

he just meets her several times through reincarnation.

And at one point they have a 4,000 year old daughter with T-1000 abilities.

Korigama

The ultimate woman-depending-on-man trope. My God.

I want to love this game but this stuff makes me so angry.
Pretty sure it works the same way with all of the other Blade/Driver pairings they've shown as well (including ones where the blade is either male or an animal).

Bossking

Banned

Wait, wouldn't the man be depending on the woman in this case, or at the very least a co-dependence? Like, wouldn't the main boy just be powerless without the main girl?

XC1 had one of my favorite female videogame characters, and I thought Elma and Lin were both solid leads in XCX, so I want to give Takahashi the benefit of the doubt as far as Pyra's character goes.

FinalAres

I'm soooo glad the story is unconnected to the first, as that means I can play this without worrying about playing the first.

Definitely need to play the first. Its one of those games I played, didn't finish and sold. Oops.

Andyliini

Sounds good. I loved both previous Xenoblade games, so I'll get this on day 1, no doubt. Then again, if they make the release date, it's only around a month after Super Mario Galaxy. Hopefully I have time play all these games.

Demonfang

Banned
Sounds more like the xenoblade chronicles continuation i wanted. I understand why some fans may prefer X's style but its just not for me.

Ex-Psych

Don't like how the main character looks but if it's like the other Xenoblade games, it should give me the ability to armor dress up

Xenogears was already a Boy-meets-Girl game.

he just meets her several times through reincarnation.

And at one point they have a 4,000 year old daughter with T-1000 abilities.

Yeah.

Takahashi-sama please don't scare us lol.

Certainly confirms that the game was already in quite a progress when it was revealed. It already has some story bits at its 1st trailer after all.

Yup. Can't wait so hopefully it really does make it.

AColdDay

The character designs are flat out awful for this game. I am hoping that the main character will gain access to a proper pair of pants sometime during the course of the game.

It is a shame because I loved the character designs of Baten Kaitos.

Definitely looks like something I'll enjoy and I'll definitely play it. It is indeed something very different from past works. I do enjoy how much "the spaceship you're riding on crashes" happens in multiple Zeno games and even the village on fire happened twice.

Still hoping for a continuation of X with its hard sci-fi story and mechs.

T.O.P

Banned
I like how the chick looks, it's the male mc that i can't stand

I also skipped X so this one i need day one

squall23

Man I really want to look forward to this game, but it seems like such a departure from most of the things I liked about Xenoblade X. Battle system seems far too simple and slow and has lost the positioning strategies, targeting specific appendages, arts being able to be double-charged, and an overdrive equivalent. The combat in X was, at times, too slow despite all of those extra mechanics. The character design is gross and it seems Takahashi is implying the game is moving away from the deeper world-building narrative style that made Xenoblade X's transhumanism so satisfying to me. Hopefully I'm wrong and the game turns out great, but it looks like it's moving away from most of the things that made Xenoblade X memorable
He's not even implying it. He outright says in another interview that this will be more like the original instead of X which makes it much more appealing for me.

I'm glad he's doing something different. The JRPG genre will be richer with this addition of a coming of age boy-meets-girl story with weapon-tans, panty-robots and promises under the mana tree.

Top Bottom