• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are living in a fantasy world if you think the overall church is moderate or left leaning in the US, much less in the south. Very right leaning, intensely far right in a lot of instances.

That's not at all what I'm saying. The vast majority of rural churches in America are filled with uneducated people. My point is that religion itself isn't the problem. It's that people use religion to control the uneducated.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The pro-choice stuff is only a turn-off to rural voters, not suburban voters, because rural voters tend to be more socially conservative.

Suburban voters tend to be less socially conservative as rural conservatives, but hate leftist economics more.

BS. There is a large contingent of Catholics/Christians, that wont vote for democrats because of it. Even in the city.
I regularly see several of my friends being all about fully paid maternity leave. Followed up by liking posts from ant-abortion facebook pages.

RPGCrazied

Few more days. Getting nervous. Can you imagine if Ossoff wins? The floodgates would be open. Democrats would get some super motivation, would help with other elections.

Thinking about this, what are the ramifications if Ossoff wins?

Wouldn't that cause the GOP to go into "save our ass" mode extremely early, getting more resources for 2018?

If Ossoff loses, couldn't that cause the GOP to not have a major knee-jerk reaction and possibly stay in a false sense of security?

RPGCrazied

Hope it will spark some spine into the GOP to finally peeling away from Trump or else they might lose more races they shouldn't lose.

Blader

Wouldn't that cause the GOP to go into "save our ass" mode extremely early, getting more resources for 2018?

If Ossoff loses, couldn't that cause the GOP to not have a major knee-jerk reaction and possibly stay in a false sense of security?
I think Republican strategists would be in the former camp and most actual Hill Republicans would be in the latter camp.

geestack

just imo, i think gop goes crazy regardless of outcome since it's already so close. if he wins, they definitely panic; if handel wins but the result is as closed as polled, they think this result will portend a 2018 democratic wave

Ithil

If he loses by an extremely small margin, they will stay very much on their toes, because that'll be the third safe red district to swing heavily towards the left, even if it remained red. It would be a ominous sign for any light red or purple districts they hold, and they would continue to fret about 2018. The GOP poured millions and millions into the Montana and Georgia special elections, ones that should have been a cakewalk that required next to no effort to retain. The prospect of having to pour millions to defend dozens of vulnerable seats in the Midterms is not a healthy one.

If Ossoff wins they will panic, because it would show that not only is there a blue wave building, but it can flip safe red districts. Purple and lean red districts would be in jeopardy. The GOP would likely start pouring money into their war chests and start campaigning early, and also would distance themselves from Trump as far as House races go, because he is clearly a liability rather than a help. Who knows how that would affect relations with the WH?

Their biggest fear would be Ossoff himself, however, or what he represents. A young Democrat with no political office, coming in and flipping a red district riding a wave of left enthusiasm, it would lead to many more people getting into politics to run for offices the GOP hold, not just House races either.

If you hit 51-49 Handel, it's a good showing for Democrats (but not for the residents here). Anything above and beyond that is great.

Obviously a four point win for Handel or greater and it's a disappointment in some respects, even though this is a R+8 district.

A word of caution though about 2018 - this is the weakest R candidate of the field with quite a bit of baggage. You should want a win and not settle for a close race.

That's not at all what I'm saying. The vast majority of rural churches in America are filled with uneducated people. My point is that religion itself isn't the problem. It's that people use religion to control the uneducated.

The problem is the wrong type of education. People are trained from an early age to not question/ think for themselves.

Religion reinforces this and like you said, is another tool for those in power to control the rest of the population.

LycanXIII

I spent the past week in Atlanta and heard the attack ads against Ossoff. They literally describe him as a good guy. It's hilarious that people would vote against him based off that ad.

The wife and I just got back from canvassing.

Good news: The voters who supported Ossoff thanked us profusely for what we were doing, seemed energized, mostly younger folks in their 30s and 40s.

Bad News: Ran into about 3 or 4 houses out of 100 who were either Nos or legit tried to throw hands at me. One old lady in particular ripped into me for soliciting (Canvassing is not soliciting and is protected by the First Amendment), crumpled up some info of ours and chucked it at me.

HylianTom

Banned
I've lost track of how much money I've given to Ossoff.

I think it's better that way.

I really want this win. My soul needs it.

Same here.

This is more than just about one race: it's about scaring the living daylights out of the GOP. If he pulls this off, they can't deny the very real possibility that they're in trouble.

Good news: The voters who supported Ossoff thanked us profusely for what we were doing, seemed energized, mostly younger folks in their 30s and 40s.

Bad News: Ran into about 3 or 4 houses out of 100 who were either Nos or legit tried to throw hands at me. One old lady in particular ripped into me for soliciting (Canvassing is not soliciting and is protected by the First Amendment), crumpled up some info of ours and chucked it at me.

I would've shouted, "I hope your Life Alert malfunctions!" as I walked away. You must have admirable restraint.

Thank you for your work. If Ossoff wins narrowly, he should be grateful to all his dedicated volunteers and supporters.

What neighborhood s were you in? Had a guy come buy this week with Planned Parenthood info and he was very timid. Guess he was prepared for the worst.

BajiBoxer

Banned
What neighborhood s were you in? Had a guy come buy this week with Planned Parenthood info and he was very timid. Guess he was prepared for the worst.

Wow, talk about a tough job. I don't think I could handle going door to door for Planned Parenthood considering the number of people convinced they're litterally murdering babies and selling off their bodyparts. That could get scary.

zethren

Banned
Received a text message from a text-bot telling me to remember to vote for Karen Handel in time, and to vote early if possible.

Lol

No.

Davidion

Thank you for your hard work.

Just finished phone-banking for Ossoff with Pramila Jayapal's campaign in Seattle. It seems like people are definitely getting tired of all the calls. But I think the campaign's calculus is that it's worth it for the chance of contacting any voters who need that extra push or information (I told one person where her polling place is, so hopefully that helped).

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

You and your wife are badasses. Keep fighting the good fight.

JaggedSac

Just finished phone-banking for Ossoff with Pramila Jayapal's campaign in Seattle. It seems like people are definitely getting tired of all the calls. But I think the campaign's calculus is that it's worth it for the chance of contacting any voters who need that extra push or information (I told one person where her polling place is, so hopefully that helped).

I've been called three times by you bastards, lol. I almost told the last one I'd vote for the Repub if they called again. Thing is, I'd already voted before I got two of them.

Seems like Dems kind of win in both cases. He wins, extra seat, more motivation for the base. Loses, he still came very close against all odds, gives us hope, yet GOP remains a bit complacent.

Brookhaven. Very upper class neighborhood/complex.

My wife wanted to talk with the old woman but I was like "honey, the last thing we need is some sort of headline about Ossoff supports getting into a fight with a Handel fan."

RPGCrazied

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/18/georgia-special-election-ossoff-handel-239650

Georgia special election hurtles toward nail-biting finish

As the most expensive House race in history rushes toward the finish line Tuesday, the latest public polls are unanimous: The Georgia special election between Democrat Jon Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel is too close to call.

The race for the suburban Atlanta seat, closely watched for clues about the shape of the 2018 midterm elections, appears to be within a few percentage points — with perhaps the slightest edge to Ossoff, the 30-year-old Democrat seeking to wrest away a traditionally Republican seat in the first major election of Donald Trump’s presidency.

“It’s all well within the margin of error,” said Matthew Towery, whose firm, Opinion Savvy, released a poll last Friday conducted for Atlanta’s Fox affiliate showing Ossoff leading by a single point. “I’d say the preponderance of evidence suggests that Ossoff has a very, very slight lead. But it really is a coin flip right now.”

The tight polling has both parties — which have each made eight-figure investments in the race — expecting a nailbiter Tuesday night. The current state of play: Of the six public polls conducted in June, Ossoff leads in five of them — and hits the 50-percent mark in each of the five — with the fifth showing a tie.

But Ossoff’s lead is far from safe. Outside of an early June Atlanta Journal Constitution poll showing Ossoff ahead by 7 points, the Democrat’s lead is within the margin of error in each of the polls showing him ahead.

Good for you man. I worked as a canvasser for Angie Craig last year and it's like the worst job on the planet.

Seems like Dems kind of win in both cases. He wins, extra seat, more motivation for the base. Loses, he still came very close against all odds, gives us hope, yet GOP remains a bit complacent.

Yeah, it's a 'win' either way for the Dems, but taking the seat is going to feel so much better. But I just can't believe that it'll happen. It feels just too good to happen in this new dark age.

RPGCrazied

Georiga GAF better get out and VOTE!

If we can win this, major things would happen. Not just in Washington, the flood gates would fucking open if we can do this.

Good for you man. I worked as a canvasser for Angie Craig last year and it's like the worst job on the planet.

It's good and bad. Certainly being cussed out by an old woman stinks but being able to know that I secured votes from people who didn't know where their nearest polling station was makes it worth it.

I'd vote if I could too!

I'm a Texan. But if Ossoff can win this, even Texas might be competitive! We need this surge.

I highly doubt any of the traditionally conservative House seats in Texas will be competitive in 2018. Cruz is up for re-election, though, and I seem to recall somewhere that his approval ratings are super low, so maybe his Senate could be up?

RPGCrazied

I highly doubt any of the traditionally conservative House seats in Texas will be competitive in 2018. Cruz is up for re-election, though, and I seem to recall somewhere that his approval ratings are super low, so maybe his Senate could be up?

I know Cruz is. I'm the first in line to replace him.

RPGCrazied

Gross! Who with a sane mind can honestly vote for Republican when they do stuff like this?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/338370-ad-uses-scalise-shooting-against-ossoff

Ad uses Scalise shooting against Ossoff in Georgia

CHAMBLEE, GA. -- Democrat Jon Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel are both speaking out against an ad appearing to link Ossoff to Wednesday’s shooting at a Republican baseball practice outside of Washington, D.C.

The television spot, which was produced by the Principled PAC, shows House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) on a stretcher after the shooting, along with the sound of gunshots.

“The unhinged left is endorsing and applauding shooting Republicans,” the ad’s narrator says.

“When will it stop? It won’t if Jon Ossoff wins on Tuesday,” the narrator continues.

The spot then shows several images and videos including one of comedian Kathy Griffin holding a fake severed head that looks like President Trump, as well as a letter that reads “Resist the Facist takeover. String up the collaborators.”
The ad then claims “these same leftists are all for Ossoff, and if he wins, they win.”

“Stop Jon Ossoff. Stop Nancy Pelosi. Vote Karen Handel for Congress,” the narrators concludes.

Ossoff called the politicization of the shooting that injured Scalise and four others last week “disgraceful.”

“The man is fighting for his life. I think it’s disgraceful to politicize it, and I think Secretary Handel should call for it to come down," Ossoff told a small group of reporters after a canvassing launch at his Chamblee field office.

“You have a national tragedy that has united people. There are still be who are in critical condition. It's just got no place in an attack ad.”

Gross! Who with a sane mind can honestly vote for Republican when they do stuff like this?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/338370-ad-uses-scalise-shooting-against-ossoff

Ad uses Scalise shooting against Ossoff in Georgia

My parents moved the East ATL area a few years ago. I spoke with my dad yesterday by phone, and he was complaining that even though they aren't in the district, they've been inundated with ads talking about Nancy Pelosi.

This latest one is just flat out tasteless.

Breads

Banned

Then it is religion...because that is all religion is. Controlling uneducated people.

RPGCrazied

This latest one is just flat out tasteless.

It is, using a tragedy for political points is disgusting. I watch a lot of news, not once did I see Democrats fucking applauding that he was shot. And what does Ossoff have to do with Kathy???? Ugh, these people make me mad.

But its like that Republican that assaulted a reporter and still won his house seat. So don't think it will do much which is depressing.

cameron

The Dems want to stop tax cuts, good healthcare and Border Security.Their ObamaCare is dead with 100% increases in P's. Vote now for Karen H

— Donald J. Trump‏ (@realDonaldTrump) June 19, 2017

RPGCrazied

The Dems want to stop tax cuts, good healthcare and Border Security.Their ObamaCare is dead with 100% increases in P's. Vote now for Karen H

— Donald J. Trump‏ (@realDonaldTrump) June 19, 2017

No. I'm with Ossoff. And with this win the GOP will peel away from you like an onion. And making other house seats competitive that shouldn't be.

RPGCrazied

Also, I have to thank Trump for putting a national spotlight on this. It will help! He won this district by 1%, not really Trump country.

In a similar vein to what's happening in Georgia, the Democrat running against Cruz next year is a young congressman from El Paso named Beto O'Rourke. There's a lot of good buzz about this guy, and he's running without any super PAC money. I've been trying to get his name out there as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom