• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganhyun

Honestly Trump being President should have been enough. Do these people just not see who Trump is and only see the R by his name? I swear if we lose this, I'll be depressed. I know Trump hasn't been able to get much done, but how are we suppose to fight this if we can't win anything?

The people in the district for the most part have money and want to keep it that way. They aren't interested in spreading the wealth around and aren't worried about low wage workers.

Cochese can explain it much better than I can as he lives in the district, whereas I do not.

Honestly Trump being President should have been enough. Do these people just not see who Trump is and only see the R by his name? I swear if we lose this, I'll be depressed. I know Trump hasn't been able to get much done, but how are we suppose to fight this if we can't win anything?

You can be depressed, but think of it as a temporary setback. Ds are on the attack, and will be throughout the 2018 and 2020 elections. Rs are on the defense and having to spend huge amounts of money in safe districts. That's a good thing.

Yes, there is no prize for second place, and results in Kansas, Montana, and Georgia are not necessarily indicative of future results. A virtual tie in a what...R+8 district is good. I had it a 52-48 loss when this started, and I'm thinking it will be within a point and honestly too close to call. Either winning wouldn't surprise me, and no matter what they'll have to immediately start up their campaign again in a few months if not sooner. After all, there is a July 4 recess, two weeks after the election.

It takes time to show people what shitbags they elected. Five months may not be enough.

TarNaru33

Banned

No, its that those people do not care about anybody besides themselves and Republicans typically remove burdens from them. They tend to not care about anything else, even if the country becomes a mockery.

Also, why is no one speaking of the Virginia governor elections, which the primary is today?

Ganhyun

No, its that those people do not care about anybody besides themselves and Republicans typically remove burdens from them. They tend to not care about anything else, even if the country becomes a mockery.

Also, why is no one speaking of the Virginia governor elections, which the primary is today?

Well, this thread is about the Georgia election specifically. Is that race close or something? If so, why not make a thread on it? Im sure there are plenty of Virginians on the board who would discuss it with you :)

TarNaru33

Banned
Well, this thread is about the Georgia election specifically. Is that race close or something? If so, why not make a thread on it? Im sure there are plenty of Virginians on the board who would discuss it with you :)

No, as far as I know it isn't close when it comes to Democrats vs Republicans (Democrats likely to win it), I am more interested in which Democrat will win the primary though since it is close.

To me that is more important, since it is literally status quo vs new guy. I support Tom Perriello (backed by Sanders) in this race because he is more progressive in social and economic policies. U.S have to stop with this obsession of lower taxes. I suppose GAF will get more interested in it close to November if it appears Republicans are leading.

EDIT: I have faith that Ossoff will win, of course I am not going to get depressed if he loses, but it would be quite a blow if he did. Even if losing with smaller margins is technically winning it is still losing.

No, as far as I know it isn't close when it comes to Democrats vs Republicans (Democrats likely to win it), I am more interested in which Democrat will win the primary though since it is close.

To me that is more important, since it is literally status quo vs new guy. Needless to say, I support Tom Perriello (backed by Sanders). I suppose GAF will get more interested in it close to November if it appears Republicans are leading.

OK, so make a thread and get people interested.

I saw the most ridiculous ad this morning that had fake "hippies" in San Francisco and New York carrying around "Pelosi/Ossoff" banners from Karen Handel's crew. Then it ends with a giant banner unfurling from the Golden Gate bridge.

I saw the most ridiculous ad this morning that had fake "hippies" in San Francisco and New York carrying around "Pelosi/Ossoff" banners from Karen Handel's crew. Then it ends with a giant banner unfurling from the Golden Gate bridge.

Yeah, I referenced that one earlier. Goes to show you how desperate they are.

If anyone has questions about the district, I'll see what I can answer.

platocplx

Less than half as many votes.
And a huge dip in voters around the ages of 25-35.

Connecticut has meaningful public transportation?
Other than Amtrak through the middle of the state - where? I'm in Enfield, and I can't get anywhere useful other than along the Amtrak route, and I hadn't heard anything about any suggestions of things happening.

Just got back to this thread. They were looking to have a high speed line on the shoreline, in addition to the CTRAIL changes which are here:
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1386&q=305322

which signifigantly would help a lot for the middle of the state.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You could ask these people to name one specific thing Nancy Pelosi has done and they'd stare dumbfounded for an hour. Unblinking.

Meanwhile they recoil in horror from Cheech and Chong in 2017.

Snwaters

To me that is more important, since it is literally status quo vs new guy. I support Tom Perriello (backed by Sanders) in this race because he is more progressive in social and economic policies. U.S have to stop with this obsession of lower taxes. I suppose GAF will get more interested in it close to November if it appears Republicans are leading.

EDIT: I have faith that Ossoff will win, of course I am not going to get depressed if he loses, but it would be quite a blow if he did. Even if losing with smaller margins is technically winning it is still losing.

What interests me most about that race is which Republican is going to win. One is someone who is trying to distance himself from Trump. The other is a Trumpite who is trying to ride the same populist agenda Trump used. The former is expected to win, but it is worrying. Whichever wins could be a litmus test for Repubs and their relation to Trump.

Buckle

I told you before, don't pin your hopes on the south. We're not like other parts of the country.

Voting to fuck our selves out of hate or blind tradition would not be out of character.

TarNaru33

Banned
OK, so make a thread and get people interested.

I might after today when the results are shown. I am just not sure it will appeal well since its a relatively safe race. Flipping seats are much more appealing.

What interests me most about that race is which Republican is going to win. One is someone who is trying to distance himself from Trump. The other is a Trumpite who is trying to ride the same populist agenda Trump used. The former is expected to win, but it is worrying. Whichever wins could be a litmus test for Repubs and their relation to Trump.

Ed Gillespie is likely to win the Republican race from what I read. I wouldn't be surprised if something goes wrong and he loses to that Trumpite you mentioned. Since Virginia governor seat is more blue leaning than red leaning, I am not sure if Corey could win against Gillespie.

35162403802_79629c4119_c.jpg

Vote, or else!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
35162403802_79629c4119_c.jpg

Vote, or else!

i love how Pelosi is the current boogey man. Several people i know like Gregg Abbotts facbeook page so i keep seeing his proganda come up, almost all of it has something to do with Pelosi. Im like dude you're fucking governor, you barely have anything to do with Pelosi.

Link

The Autumn Wind
i love how Pelosi is the current boogey man. Several people i know like Gregg Abbotts facbeook page so i keep seeing his proganda come up, almost all of it has something to do with Pelosi. Im like dude you're fucking governor, you barely have anything to do with Pelosi.
I like to ask people what they don't like about Pelosi. The dumbfounded look on their face for that second or two before they come up with some generic talking point is always priceless. I make sure to give them an "Ah, ok" with an obvious smirk before walking away.

Your friends and family will know? American politics continue to amaze me.

I can't remember where I heard it, I'm gonna have to look, but that form of shame is actually a crazy good motivator for voting, if I recall. People for some reason don't like the idea of their neighbors knowing they didn't vote.

Granted, it's a bit on the nose here, but the principal is sound.

I gave my last donation of the campaign to Ossoff today. I really don't think he'll win, but I hope my donations have at least managed to help get some new voters registered and motivated

GOP Sirens Blaze over Georgia Special Election

The GOP is bracing for the prospect of a loss in Tuesday’s Georgia’s special election that could have far-reaching implications for President Donald Trump and his party’s fortunes in 2018.

As grim confidential polling data circulates among GOP strategists, interviews with nearly two dozen Republican operatives and officials reveal that they are preparing for the possibility of an unnerving defeat that could spur lawmakers to distance themselves from Trump and his already-troubled legislative agenda, and potentially encourage a wave of retirements.

While no one is willing to publicly write off Handel’s chances just yet — Republicans stress that she remains competitive and point to robust GOP early voting figures — several private surveys taken over the last few weeks show Republican nominee Karen Handel trending downward, with one private party poll showing 30-year-old Democrat Jon Ossoff opening up a more than five-point lead in the Republican-oriented, suburban Atlanta seat.

“If we’re losing upper middle class, suburban seats in the South to a 30-year-old progressive liberal, we would be foolish not to be deeply concerned about the possibility that would exist for a tidal wave election for Democrats in 2018,” said Chip Lake, a Georgia-based Republican strategist and former Capitol Hill chief of staff.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/16/georgia-special-election-gop-worries-239619

StarshipTroopers03.jpg

So next Tuesday is the election? I can't wait to see how this turns out.

I want republicans to panic, I want them to see/think the writings on the wall, I want them to start second guessing their Trump support. And then the dominoes start falling. Because the only reason President Imortan can continue to disgrace the whole political system, is because spineless Republicans don't fear for their job.

Tigress

I can't tell if my parents are in that district. The map I showed wouldn't show smaller streets and they are right around a border. I can say for sure though that if they are and if they vote it will be republican. They always vote republican. Even if they dislike the person (they saw McCain as a big true republican but fell in line when he got the candidacy. They like trump *sigh*).

I can't tell if my parents are in that district. The map I showed wouldn't show smaller streets and they are right around a border. I can say for sure though that if they are and if they vote it will be republican. They always vote republican. Even if they dislike the person (they saw McCain as a big true republican but fell in line when he got the candidacy. They like trump *sigh*).

Give me a close intersection or whatever, and I can tell you. Or a street name. Nothing more than that, I don't need to know. You can PM if need be.

Tigress

Give me a close intersection or whatever, and I can tell you. Or a street name. Nothing more than that, I don't need to know. You can PM if need be.

Thanks, I used your advice and looked the intersection up in Google and they just manage to be in it (basically they live off a rd off PEachtree Dunwoody Rd. south of where all the hospitals are and from the map I saw the border was south of that but not much more. But looking up the intersection got me a site that said which district it was in).

I have no idea if they vote in smaller elections like this or not. But my dad is pretty big on politics and only in the past decade has he gotten his citizenship (ironically even before getting it bitching about all the illegal immigrants, and he didn't exactly do everything "the right way" himself from what I'm told by my mom). And my step mom has gotten more vocal/interested ever since fox news.

And yeah, good luck getting them to vote democrat.

Thanks, I used your advice and looked the intersection up in Google and they just manage to be in it (basically they live off a rd off PEachtree Dunwoody Rd. south of where all the hospitals are and from the map I saw the border was south of that but not much more. But looking up the intersection got me a site that said which district it was in).

I have no idea if they vote in smaller elections like this or not. But my dad is pretty big on politics and only in the past decade has he gotten his citizenship (ironically even before getting it bitching about all the illegal immigrants, and he didn't exactly do everything "the right way" himself from what I'm told by my mom). And my step mom has gotten more vocal/interested ever since fox news.

And yeah, good luck getting them to vote democrat.

My wife and I will vote to cancel out their votes. lol

br3wnor

So next Tuesday is the election? I can't wait to see how this turns out.

I want republicans to panic, I want them to see/think the writings on the wall, I want them to start second guessing their Trump support. And then the dominoes start falling. Because the only reason President Imortan can continue to disgrace the whole political system, is because spineless Republicans don't fear for their job.

I'm a bit conflicted on how I want GA-06 to turn out. Ossoff loses by a couple of points and house Republicans breath a sigh of relief and likely stick with Trump going into 2018. Meanwhile, all the numbers from these special elections show Democrats getting WAY more voter share then they actually should and 2018 turns into a complete bloodbath for Dems who flip 40+ seats and maybe even steal a Senate seat or two.

On the other hand, Ossoff wins and House Republicans start shitting themselves and slowly but surely peel away from Trump. On one hand it probably stymies Trump from making any more major legislative progress over the next year but it also might make the Democratic wave in 2018 not be as brutal as the more moderate House Republicans are able to save more seats by jumping from the Trump ship then had they just stayed aboard it while it continued to sink.

Though the reaction from Trump if Ossoff wins and the ensuing Republican panic might be worth not having as big a wave election as I'd like in 2018 (Republicans flipped 64 house seats in 2010 after Obamacare)

Ganhyun

Tigress,

To be 100% sure you can go to the US House of Representative page and they can tell you based on the actual address where they live. It will start as just asking for a zip code and if its in multiple districts it will ask for the address to narrow it down.

Got into it with some Handel supporters last night online. I cant even vote as I don't live in the district, but its amazing to see some of the BS they were spewing. Like, people didnt believe she actually said on live tv that she didnt support a livable wage. They thought CNN and the like made it up. Give them proof (from the local news station it was on no less) and they still try to deflect it.

I honestly think that the livable wage comment is part of whats hurting her so much. Even though the district is full of rich white people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom