• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madness Reigns; or, how our mutual misremembering drove my girlfriend and I insane

So basically two incredibly obsessive people chose to focus their energy on the type of thing most people shrug off as a deja Vu, Jamais vu, or a brain fart, and decided to write a pseudo creepy pasta?

Why did I read it all?

This is the least dramatic story told in the most dramatic fashion

It's well written. If the author adds a schizophrenic twist to it, and changes the names of the media involved, you got yourself a modern horror story.

Edit: Oh, it's yours OP? Well, add a fictitious supernatural angle to it, with a paranoid schizophrenic reveal at the end, and baby you got yourself a stew going.

Haunted

I wonder if this started as some sort of livejournal entry and you went ahead and added some fun stylistic flourishes inspired by classic creepy pasta which then took on a mind of their own and overtook the whole post, or if you planned to write a bit of creepy pasta from the start as some sort of writing exercise.

Either way, I've never even heard of grave encounters before, sorry bro.

I loved Grave Encounters. It's actually a really fun spoof of those awful paranormal investigator shows (specifically Ghost Adventures) while still being a decent found footage film.

The sequel was pretty garbo though.

studyguy

Don't Dead, Open Inside is literally the first thing that comes into everyone's mind when they see that stupid fucking door.

I can't go with a group of people into that place without someone making the fucking joke.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You lost me at Grave Emcounters being good.

I enjoyed watching it the same way I enjoyed watching Chernobyl Diaries. With smug self entitlement.

I loved Grave Encounters. It's actually a really fun spoof of those awful paranormal investigator shows (specifically Ghost Adventures) while still being a decent found footage film.

The sequel was pretty garbo though.

I'm so bummed it's not on Netflix anymore. It's the kind of movie I forever associate as a fixture of the catalog because I never would have seen it otherwise. Even though I didn't watch it every year, I used to turn people onto it almost every Halloween. It's a great horror movie in that it also ends up really quotable and cool to rewatch. Most horror movies lose something on the rewatch. Grave Encounters never did for me.

There are two door scenes in Grave Encounters.

Yes, but they're the same door! Or are they? wooooooo

This is my favorite story in all of Neogaf.

Hit all of the bases, especially The Walking Dead and niche horror stuff like Grave Encounters. I am happy ^^

I hope you made up the whole thing, because you wrote a 2900 word essay on a horror movie reference.
This should be encouraged!

I hope you made up the whole thing, because you wrote a 2900 word essay on a horror movie reference.

That's the joke.

This thread is a dramatic recounting of an inconsequential misunderstanding my girlfriend and I had about a movie and an unrelated TV show. The lengths we went to verify our suspicions and the the conclusion we came to is, in retrospect, ridiculous.

This thread is 100% self aware, which I think is quite clear. But if not, let me say it now.

Basically, I thought the fact I held onto a simple assumption so dearly, to the point where I needed documentable evidence to the contrary of my stance, was an interesting topic of conversation. People operate under misunderstandings all the time, and usually look back on them with a sense of humor. We have "mind blowing" threads on both sides of the forum all the time, and that's all this is. I just tried to make it more interesting because there is no way to explain this story in an interesting way without playing it up as a tongue-in-cheek sensation.

I'm a little disappointed so many people seem put out by the tone of the OP, but oh well.

I've got some more bad news for you OP, there is no Walking Dead stand alone at Orlando, just Hollywood

i need to ly dow,

Great job OP. I'm tired, hungover and have the attention span of a gnat right now and I still read the whole thing and loved every second of it

Edit: Also if people are put off by the tone its cause they clearly don't get the humor not because of a fault in your writing. It's pretty obvious

mamoui

So what was the joke in Grave Encounters then? Or was there no joke?
Do I have to read episode 2 to know?

That's the joke.

This thread is a dramatic recounting of an inconsequential misunderstanding my girlfriend and I had about a movie and an unrelated TV show. The lengths we went to verify our suspicions and the the conclusion we came to is, in retrospect, ridiculous.

This thread is 100% self aware, which I think is quite clear. But if not, let me say it now.

Basically, I thought the fact I held onto a simple assumption so dearly, to the point where I needed documentable evidence to the contrary of my stance, was an interesting topic of conversation. People operate under misunderstandings all the time, and usually look back on them with a sense of humor. We have "mind blowing" threads on both sides of the forum all the time, and that's all this is. I just tried to make it more interesting because there is no way to explain this story in an interesting way without playing it up as a tongue-in-cheek sensation.

I'm a little disappointed so many people seem put out by the tone of the OP, but oh well.

i need to ly down

For what it's worth, I actually kind of dig it. Aside from the fact that it's well-written, upon further thought it does sort of tap into some of the characteristics of the internet-age.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It was around this time I started to feel a splinter in my brain. It wasn't quite a pain, more like a weight. There was a weight on my frontal lobe that made my eyes narrow and my brow furrow. Like a heavy metal disc sinking slowly into wet clay, this pressure on my brain began to sink deep into my mush of my mind. This great disruption, a foreign realization compressing and testing the resilience of my memory, made me ill.

This passage reminds me of how I used to write in high school. Using unnecessarily flowery language thinking it sounded fancy. Like I was writing with a thesaurus open.

The human memory is extremely fallible. It doesn't store memories like a hard drive where they can be accessed later, it effectively rebuilds a memory of something every time you recall it and sometimes changes things on you.

That said, cool story bro.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
I've got some more bad news for you OP, there is no Walking Dead stand alone at Orlando, just Hollywood

The story even came with its own stinger!

"One couple, preparing for something that never existed, remember something that was never theirs.

DON'T FAKE
RECALL INSIDE"

This passage reminds me of how I used to write in high school. Using unnecessarily flowery language thinking it sounded fancy. Like I was writing with a thesaurus open.

Well clearly you still read at a high school level, because there's nothing flowery or fancy about that vocabulary.

Alucrid

Banned
That's the joke.

i need to ly down

remember how it was ly dow,

If you knew about Walking Dead tangentially you've seen the door. It's the most iconic image from the series and is often in commercials and shit. Then you just misremembered it because it's similar to grave encounters. The end.

As an aside, though, The Walking Dead fans are the stupidest and most obtuse people on earth. I used to run a pretty large Walking Dead Facebook fan page and if you'd post that joke you'd be overwhelmed with people very seriously explaining to you that it's actually "Don't Open, Dead Inside" and that you're a dummy.

Top Bottom