• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madness Reigns; or, how our mutual misremembering drove my girlfriend and I insane

So what was the joke in Grave Encounters then? Or was there no joke?
Do I have to read episode 2 to know?

That's the thing: there is no joke. The conversation that we both remember, and can describe to each other, is not in the movie. It never occurs and nothing like it occurs. They do comment on the graffiti, but there is no joke about how it's read or written.

That's how down the rabbit hole of false memory we were.

Dyle

TOO DIDN'T
LONG READ

Clearly this was a conspiracy by the Illuminati to hide the bodies they use to keep the Reptilians alive, I think you've only barely scratched the surface here OP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That OP

giphy.gif

That's the thing: there is no joke. The conversation that we both remember, and can describe to each other, is not in the movie. It never occurs and nothing like it occurs. They do comment on the graffiti, but there is no joke about how it's read or written.

That's how down the rabbit hole of false memory we were.

You probably read a conversation like that on the internet and misremembered where you saw it.

XOMTOR

That's the joke.

This thread is a dramatic recounting of an inconsequential misunderstanding my girlfriend and I had about a movie and an unrelated TV show. The lengths we went to verify our suspicions and the the conclusion we came to is, in retrospect, ridiculous.

This thread is 100% self aware, which I think is quite clear. But if not, let me say it now.

Basically, I thought the fact I held onto a simple assumption so dearly, to the point where I needed documentable evidence to the contrary of my stance, was an interesting topic of conversation. People operate under misunderstandings all the time, and usually look back on them with a sense of humor. We have "mind blowing" threads on both sides of the forum all the time, and that's all this is. I just tried to make it more interesting because there is no way to explain this story in an interesting way without playing it up as a tongue-in-cheek sensation.

I'm a little disappointed so many people seem put out by the tone of the OP, but oh well.

i need to ly dow,

Personally, I thought it was a great read. You certainly have a knack for spinning a tale and that I can always appreciate, regardless of subject matter.

Now I'm curious about Grave Encounters; my wife loves those paranormal encounter type shows.

I was hoping the girlfriend was revealed to be dead for years.

Disappointed.

Will ask her when I get home. Will update the OP if applicable.

You tire me

the mistake was watching Walking Dead

Youch.

Although you seem to have missed the part where I explain I have never watched TWD in my life and neither has my girlfriend. Please insult me over things I actually do, like call cats on the phone.

Well you made me google brave encounters.

But now I'm watching some guy take on weird insect stings on youtube and eating spicy wings.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cool story. Brain is one messed up thing.

Grave Encounters in on youtube btw, it's probably not uploaded there legally, but it's there, whole movie. I can confirm that the door has Death Awats sprayed on it. They don't misread it. One of the crew says "Death awaits - I guess we'll find out!" and then the girl from the crew adds "That is so lame". So I guess they do joke a bit about it. They do debate if they should use the shot, or if it's too cheesy - and decide to use it.

I can't believe I read the entire OP. Now I'm like

Can't wait for the sequel where it turns out OP doesn't exist and the gf is a ghost who imagined this entire thread.

Also I never saw Grave Encounters but based on the images I found I want to.

OP needs an editor

If anything, it's proof that it's not a carefully concocted essay designed for maximum impact. I keep going back to fix my mistakes as I see them. They're pretty humiliating, honestly, but it's part of posting online.

You only proofread a forum post so much. You go back only when the shame sets in.

Cool story. Brain is one messed up thing.

Grave Encounters in on youtube btw, it's probably not uploaded there legally, but it's there, whole movie. I can confirm that the door has Death Awats sprayed on it. They don't misread it. One of the crew says "Death awaits - I guess we'll find out!" and then the girl from the crew adds "That is so lame". So I guess they do joke a bit about it. They do debate if they should use the shot, or if it's too cheesy - and decide to use it.

I think I'm going to buy a digital copy of it. It's the kind of movie I'd like to be able to take for granted that I can view when I want to. I'm sure it's dirt cheap on Google Play.

For what It's worth OP, I've never watched Walking Dead but I recognize the image of the door. Doesn't explain what happened with you and Hannah, but It's likely you both absorbed it somehow without realizing it

ido

I enjoyed this.

Mandela Effect shit is a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I know better. The one that gave me the biggest pause is that the Fruit of the Loom logo never had a fucking cornucopia in it. I was completely mind fucked on that one.

It's $8 on amazon to buy digital or $3 to rent. Seems like the kind of movie that might be in the $1 dvd bin at a used bookstore though.

I enjoyed this.

Mandela Effect shit is a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I know better. The one that gave me the biggest pause is that the Fruit of the Loom logo never had a fucking cornucopia in it. I was completely mind fucked on that one.

I love Mandela Effect stuff. Some of it is like kind of boring, but it's best when it gets you too. Like Froot Loops being spelled with two Os instead Fruit Loops. That one gets me so good.

It was just so crazy with this Grave Encounters/Walking Dead thing because my girlfriend and I are the only ones who made this error. There was nobody else to share it with who would be able to partake in the same "NO WAY!" as we. We were alone on this, clearly having reinforced the memory between the two of us, so we couldn't help look back and laugh. This kind of light self-flogging is necessary to decompress after an unnecessarily tense episode of denial.

It's $8 on amazon to buy digital or $3 to rent. Seems like the kind of movie that might be in the $1 dvd bin at a used bookstore though.

It totally is. It's really only going to come up when people make a list of best found footage movies or something. I think it's a really easy sell though. I intentionally didn't spoil any of the movie in the OP because I thought some people might watch it.

I went to Universal Studios a few days ago and my experience in the Walking Dead attraction was ruined by this family that stole all the scares because they had two kids.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I read all that and I still need Lionel Mandrake to create a summary.

Congrats on finding a girl with the same brain deficiencies as you.

Xero

Was into it for awhile but eventually started skimming to get to the conclusion i knew was coming. Could definitely do woth sone cutting here or there.

Afrodium

Banned
It was a fun read.

GAF being real cynical. OP puts time and effort into his story and everyone just shitposts at him for trying.

JakeD

This has happened to me many times. An odd coincidence or misremembering of some movie, song, or old tv show, that's so niche it's impossible to properly research. I usually just let it break my brain for a few days before I let it go, or eventually find the YouTube clip that explains it. Be glad you had someone to share the experience with. I usually spend those days trying to explain to my wife or friends why it's driving me crazy, only for them to be all like ¯ _(ツ)_/¯

This has happened to me many times. An odd coincidence or misremembering of some movie, song, or old tv show, that's so niche it's impossible to properly research. I usually just let it break my brain for a few days before I let it go, or eventually find the YouTube clip that explains it. Be glad you had someone to share the experience with. I usually spend those days trying to explain to my wife or friends why it's driving me crazy, only for them to be all like ¯ _(ツ)_/¯

This cat gets it.

I remember never being able to find footage online of a children's show named Eureeka's Castle back in 2007ish. I wanted to confirm the name of a character named Batley but it just wasn't well documented. Even the Wikipedia article, at the time, was extremely sparse. You don't find such light Wikipedia articles as often though. One that's still extremely bare is for the PS1 JRPG Threads of Fate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads_of_Fate

If you wanted to confirm something about that game, or had a thought or a question you wanted to check out, it would be extremely difficult to do so. We are used to things being very easy to Google and for answers to always be accessible, but this is not always the case and has DEFINITELY not been the case for almost all of human history.

The situation in the OP is something I was still able to determine with the help of the internet, but having to go off-web to learn something is a reminder that we are not entitled to information and having it is a privilege. Even something being on one website instead of another can feel like an inconvenience, but the fact it's there at all is something I have come to appreciate.

I forgot about the movie grave encounters. But I remember the Death Awaits text. I've never seen TWD and I don't ever recall the "Don't Open, Dead Inside" campaign you mentioned. Your story was fun, but also bothersome at how overly dramatic it was. I know its all for fun, but the actual sense of risk involved was so low.
Sorry to be hyper critical here. Just posting my thoughts.

Top Bottom