• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madness Reigns; or, how our mutual misremembering drove my girlfriend and I insane

I try to not shitpost, but you wasted minutes of my life. Get a fucking life or stop taking drugs.

It's just for fun... You didn't have to read it. This is a thread about being accustomed to easily accessible information, the fallibility of memory, and how consequential something meaningless can seem when you're emotionally invested in the outcome. I'm sorry you didn't care for the exaggerated anecdote. I thought it would be fun for people to read. If you weren't enjoying it, you could have stopped.

There's no need to respond like this.

cr0w

Old Member
Damn I forgot all about Grave Encounters. It was a pretty fun riff on the Zak Bagans' of the world.

Metalmarc

Didn't read op, so is this a joke take on the mandela effect?

Or a serious missremebering of the walking dead scene with humour thrown in, OP it's deffo from Walking Dead

Also what colour is the A-Team Van? Has that changed? Good luck finding out, cos it was All Black & Red before.

It's just for fun... You didn't have to read it. This is a thread about being accustomed to easily accessible information, the fallibility of memory, and how consequential something meaningless can seem when you're emotionally invested in the outcome. I'm sorry you didn't care for the exaggerated anecdote. I thought it would be fun for people to read. If you weren't enjoying it, you could have stopped.

There's no need to respond like this.
Yeah, even I can appreciate the artistry and thoughtfulness of the story even though I may have not enjoyed the story itself.

SO MUCH TEXT.

Summary please, somebody?

I mean, the whole point of the thread is the story.

But, if you insist, my girlfriend and I both remembered a scene from a movie called Grave Encounters that didn't happen. We expended a lot of energy to try to clear up our confusion. It is funny and embarrassing in retrospect. The OP is a dramatization of the event in a way that illustrates how seriously people can take even the most boring problems.

UCBooties

Great post, I love stories like these. Ignore all the whiners who are on a discussion forum but for some reason think they're too good to read.

SpaceWolf

Banned
OP, I just wanted to tell you...I've been coming to this website fairly regularly for about four years now, and this is without a doubt the wittiest, most well-written account I've ever seen posted on this forum. I was genuinely laughing out loud at several points in your story, and absolutely adored every second of this. There was an almost staggering amount of wit and creativity in this, and the fact you managed to wring so much out of such a knowingly mundane, pedestrian subject was a real wonder.

Amazing job.

pigeon

Banned
Also, I actually remember the scene you're talking about, and it does exist, but it's in Grave Encounters 2.

I mean, the whole point of the thread is the story.

But, if you insist, my girlfriend and I both remembered a scene from a movie called Grave Encounters that didn't happen. We expended a lot of energy to try to clear up our confusion. It is funny and embarrassing in retrospect. The OP is a dramatization of the event in a way that illustrates how seriously people can take even the most boring problems.

Thank you.

I went through and read whole OP. And I am glad I did that :), good stuff.

Now I must see Grave Encounters.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I need to add a bit of my own, still ongoing experience. I remember, about 15-20 years ago watching a scene from a cheezy horror movie on TV, in which a villain (it was a woman) falls into the roller press of some kind, and yells profanities towards a detective that she was running away from. I clearly remember her telling him something like "Turn away you sissy, you don't have stomach to look at this" as she starts coughing blood, while being pulled into the press. In another story from (most likely) that same movie, a man goes to a smoke-quitting center that does weird psychological things to him and others who are there for the same reason. For example - they show them a video of people furiously smoking in an airplane cabin, and then cut to a shot of an airplane crashing into a mountain range.

Despite these being such iconic scenes to me, no one ever seems to have seen them (I've asked here and on other forums multiple times), and what's worse, there are several other similar scenes from other movies (like Quitters Inc. from Cat's Eye), which are not the same thing - that over the years I've started to question if I've ever actually seen what I've described above. There is one friend from around that time who I'm not really in contact with, who I think has seen this same movie together with me. I'm almost scared to ask him about it.

Great post, I love stories like these. Ignore all the whiners who are on a discussion forum but for some reason think they're too good to read.

OP, I just wanted to tell you...I've been coming to this website fairly regularly for about four years now, and this is without a doubt the wittiest, most well-written account I've ever seen posted on this forum. I was genuinely laughing out loud at several points in your story, and absolutely adored every second of this. There was an almost staggering amount of wit and creativity in this, and the fact you managed to wring so much out of such a knowingly mundane, pedestrian subject was a real wonder.

Amazing job.

Thank you both very much. I don't usually single out posts like these because it feels self-indulgent, but there were some really barbed posts on the last page and stuff like this softens their puncture.

Also, I actually remember the scene you're talking about, and it does exist, but it's in Grave Encounters 2.

Please stop trying to trick me into watching that movie. Can't you see I've been through enough? Have you no sympathy? I am vulnerable here, pigeon. I have a weak heart.

OP do you write professionally? I've always wondered why you always put 110% in your posts.

I do not write professionally. It's just something I really enjoy doing. I put 110% into my threads because I want people to enjoy reading them, even if they don't agree or can't relate. It doesn't always work, but I always try.

Fugu

I was going to post something about my own reaction to this incredibly long story about nothing but now I've shifted my interest to the divisive and sometimes hostile reactions to the incredibly long story about nothing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well that would add a true supernatural twist, as OP hasn't actually seen it, it seems!

I've checked out GE2, scene where they enter into the same building still has the same "Death Awaits" painted on the door.

jotun?

7j15tXU.jpg

I need to add a bit of my own, still ongoing experience. I remember, about 15-20 years ago watching a scene from a cheezy horror movie on TV, in which a villain (it was a woman) falls into the roller press of some kind, and yells profanities towards a detective that she was running away from. I clearly remember her telling him something like "Turn away you sissy, you don't have stomach to look at this" as she starts coughing blood, while being pulled into the press. In another story from (most likely) that same movie, a man goes to a smoke-quitting center that does weird psychological things to him and others who are there for the same reason. For example - they show them a video of people furiously smoking in an airplane cabin, and then cut to a shot of an airplane crashing into a mountain range.

Despite these being such iconic scenes to me, no one ever seems to have seen them (I've asked here and on other forums multiple times), and what's worse, there are several other similar scenes from other movies (like Quitters Inc. from Cat's Eye), which are not the same thing - that over the years I've started to question if I've ever actually seen what I've described above. There is one friend from around that time who I'm not really in contact with, who I think has seen this same movie together with me. I'm almost scared to ask him about it.

The smoking one is an episode of Tales From the Darkside, "Bigalow's Last Smoke."

Great post. Would read again. A post hasn't really sat with me since this one. I was starting to have trouble finding it, and almost found myself in your predicament.

Also, too lazy to go through every reply, but have you verified what they joke about in the movie if it's not "DON'T DEAD OPEN INSIDE"? Just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't buy the DVD/Blu of a movie you enjoy this much. And if you plan on checking this out, even down the line, please update the thread as it will now be in my subscriptions.

This cat gets it.

I remember never being able to find footage online of a children's show named Eureeka's Castle back in 2007ish. I wanted to confirm the name of a character named Batley but it just wasn't well documented. Even the Wikipedia article, at the time, was extremely sparse. You don't find such light Wikipedia articles as often though. One that's still extremely bare is for the PS1 JRPG Threads of Fate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads_of_Fate

If you wanted to confirm something about that game, or had a thought or a question you wanted to check out, it would be extremely difficult to do so. We are used to things being very easy to Google and for answers to always be accessible, but this is not always the case and has DEFINITELY not been the case for almost all of human history.

The situation in the OP is something I was still able to determine with the help of the internet, but having to go off-web to learn something is a reminder that we are not entitled to information and having it is a privilege. Even something being on one website instead of another can feel like an inconvenience, but the fact it's there at all is something I have come to appreciate.

It was worse before the internet. There's this psychedelic nightmare from my childhood called the Polkaroo, a freaked out kangaroo thing that probably filled more than a few superhero Underoos in the 80s. That it appeared to people when they were alone and it was accompanied by a strange song was all I remembered. Now I can go on Wikipedia and read about how he's a recurring character from a boring Canadian kids show called The Polka Dot Door that was reaired on PBS. But for about 20 years it was just a niggling doubt about my sanity.

HPIM4110.JPG

Great post. Would read again. A post hasn't really sat with me since this one. I was starting to have trouble finding it, and almost found myself in your predicament.

Also, too lazy to go through every reply, but have you verified what they joke about in the movie if it's not "DON'T DEAD OPEN INSIDE"? Just because it's not on Netflix doesn't mean you can't buy the DVD/Blu of a movie you enjoy this much. And if you plan on checking this out, even down the line, please update the thread as it will now be in my subscriptions.

jfc I check that thread out and see Amirox posting about a dream where he watched a boy jerk off for the first time. Dude had red flags everywhere.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The smoking one is an episode of Tales From the Darkside, "Bigalow's Last Smoke."
Just the other day I've actually run into this in a who knows what attempt to find what I was looking for. A wikipedia has an entry for it, and reading it, it sounded exceptionally similar, but still not like a same thing - they made no mention of the frightening videos being played for example. I've watched it now, and it doesn't really seem like a same thing - I didn't see the airplane crashing into the mountain :\

It's really weird because what I've seen, seems like a total ripoff of Biggalow's Last Smoke, but it's not the same thing. In Bigallows Last Smoke, they even have a weird radio show where they talk about evils of smoking - exact same beat from the airplane scene I remember from whatever I saw. See it's things like this that made me question if I remember any of it right.

I will now look through the other episodes of Tales from the Darkside to see the rolling press episode was one of them.

bosseye

I enjoyed it OP, nicely written. Now what would really blow your mind is if I recall the same erroneous scene from Grave Encounters....

Apt101

Damn. I could have sworn the doors in the comic had that written on them. I mean, I read it like a decade ago, but I really remember it being there.

Memory is a funny thing.

sturmdogg

I always wondered why they wrote it as

Don't Dead
Open Inside

Instead of

Don't Open
Dead Inside

Much easier to read, don't you think?

To the OP, are you sure you talked to someone? Are they even your friends? Your story kinda reminds me of Fringe, for some reason. Can you name some historical events that you remember that other people don't? Movies, TV shows, etc?

Chuckie

So basically two incredibly obsessive people chose to focus their energy on the type of thing most people shrug off as a deja Vu, Jamais vu, or a brain fart, and decided to write a pseudo creepy pasta?

Why did I read it all?

stop taking acid you fucking nerds

This passage reminds me of how I used to write in high school. Using unnecessarily flowery language thinking it sounded fancy. Like I was writing with a thesaurus open.

Sometimes I hate this fucking forum.

Nice story OP. Very well written. Unfortunately people these days can only digest things the size of a fucking tweet.

digdug2k

Great OP.

I thought I had an experience like this with The Butterfly Effect movie, where I swear it had a different ending than anyone else I ever talked to did. Then wikipedia told me that I watched the directors cut and the world was fine. Also, I'm a shit writer.

Thread of 2017.

Seriously OP, it was well written despite the fact that it was about something so minor, you should consider writing a book.

SeanTSC

Hah, been there with my GF, and worse.

The most recent one being where my GF wanted to rewatch a movie she claims we saw together, but I had absolutely NO memory of what so ever. She swears up and down I saw it with her and I honest to god did not remember a single bit of it in the slightest.

She chalked it up to my problematic long term memory (which she's learned to deal with over the years as it gets worse and worse), but I swear, we really did not see it together. I guess we could have, since she makes me watch a lot of bad horror movies with her (bad horror is her favorite thing) and this was one of them, but not a second of it was familiar.

Man.

This was a good read. Felt like a goddamn mystery novel. Kudos on that, I was excited to find out what the hell was going on, and the Usual Suspects moment at the end really delivered.

Anyway, welcome to our alternate universe, OP and girlfriend.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It was worse before the internet. There's this psychedelic nightmare from my childhood called the Polkaroo, a freaked out kangaroo thing that probably filled more than a few superhero Underoos in the 80s. That it appeared to people when they were alone and it was accompanied by a strange song was all I remembered. Now I can go on Wikipedia and read about how he's a recurring character from a boring Canadian kids show called The Polka Dot Door that was reaired on PBS. But for about 20 years it was just a niggling doubt about my sanity.

HPIM4110.JPG

I think I saw this show like three times back in the '80s on PBS and I don't remember any of the characters, but I can sing you the goddamn theme song from start to finish. Earworm for the ages.

Nictel

Great post.

There's a Netflix show 'Friends from College' which has a plotline based on something like this. It's a pretty OK comedy with a not too long first season.

The best part about this story is the weird reactions in the thread.

I've got memories that I know are derived from dreams. I don't know they're false until I deduce this from a failure to be consistent with reality or (not so cool) I blurt out the memory in public. I once greeted an acquaintance by saying how pleasant it had been to meet his daughter in our previous meeting. He was childless and clearly a bachelor, and very freaked out.

Top Bottom