• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Those have got to be placeholder faces. I refuse to believe they put that much effort into the environments only to say "Fuck it!" with the faces lol.
It is mostly lighting and (facial) animation, there's plenty of room to improve without throwing out what they have. The models are good enough, imo

benzy

rohwlt.gif

Shock32

This thread is killer lol. But on a serious note ill give them the benefit of the doubt since its still early, but like a lot of posters said; I agree with the idea of maybe holding off on the character models this early.

MrKeinov

It lacks... soul. It gives me the same feeling when I watch these fan-made Ocarina of Time UE4 remakes. I hope Shenmue 3 will not be the next example of "Famous game developer failed to meet the fan expectation with the long awaited sequel/spiritual sequel after separation with the original publisher" trend.

Shenmue was the most expensive project ever made. This is made for (relatively) peanuts in comparison.

The production values of this trailer was also poor. The logo was terrible, and what was with the title being introduced several times?

The lack of eyelight, and facial animations makes it look worse than Andromeda. Total uncanny valley.

It is very early, and TBF, there is actually a real chance that it will look much better as we move forward.

Spaghetti

Just in case people aren't reading the YouTube description:

The first teaser of Shenmue III is built from a small slice of an in-development build of the game, and it delivers small peeks in new look of main characters, new characters, and feels of Shenmue world.

Anyway, a mixed bag, but mostly good stuff IMO.

I'm sure 99% of complaints about the teaser will be the facial animations, and that's justified because some of it doesn't look done yet in some spots, while other parts look pretty okay, actually.

It's a game with another 12-16 months before release though, so y'know. Don't get too in a twist about the bits that aren't done yet. I just wish they maybe avoided showing parts where they basically hadn't animated the faces, hahaha.

Body animations = good. Ryo doing his kung fu shit (that's the technical term innit?) looked really fucking nice. Makes me excited for the combat.

Environments = WOW. Top fucking notch, super vibrant, nicely detailed. I'm not surprised that they look like this considering they were an early priority for YSnet. Bailu village looks massively updated from the last time we saw it, Choubu looks dope, and that shot of the boat heading up the river was amazing.

Camerawork = Some of that's pretty good. Some of it needs work. The one-sided fight against the old man on the docks looked neat. Actually all the fighting looked good, IMO.

Lighting = Mixed. Looks good in some places, but washes out the character models in others. Again, fight with the old man on the docks at sunset was hotttttt. The fight with Mr Muscles (the affectionate fan nickname for the ripped dude) looked good too. That's the Great Wall of China location, I believe.

Models = Kinda depends on the light. For the third time, that old man fight made Ryo's model look great. Mr Muscles looks good, Shenhua looks better in motion than the render released last week. Nothing is obviously final here, and the original Shenmue games saw models updated through production too. I noticed what I think are a few placeholder assets too, which wouldn't be a first.

I'm pleasantly surprised. It was always going to be Shenmue on a shoestring but there's still a pretty strong sense of scale here, and lots of time left for polish.

Environments look gorgeous. Characters look rough, but overall, looks like it's coming along nicely. It's still a ways off, obviously.

Rhanitan

I don't mind the characters models. I looks exactly how i expect shenmue to look. The lighting and textures on the other hand bother me a bit. They should simplify them some more to match the simple character models.

seat

I know it's been said, but it has to be said again:

Those faces and character models look terrible.

I loved the first two games for their time, but I can't help but anticipate this ending up being a massive disappointment for all Shenmue fans.

SilentRob

Yikes.

I'll just put it into the "Berserk 2017"-folder called "Yay! It exists! Aw fuck, this is how it looks?!". I guess it's better than nothing?

I am a big fan of shenmue, and I put my $100 to the kickstarter. I will play anything they give me, no matter how it looks or how it reviews. But those models are very rough, the contrasted lighting makes it look like a college project. I know it's a ways off and I hope they have the resources to iron all this out nearer the end of development.

Am I the only one who would have loved it if they could make a 3rd game using the same engine and updated assets from the first two games? I would have loved the consistency.

Kyoufu

I know it's been said, but it has to be said again:

Those faces and character models look terrible.

I loved the first two games for their time, but I can't help but anticipate this ending up being a massive disappointment for all Shenmue fans.

I think at least one Shenmue fan will be happy this exists. The alternative is not existing which would be more disappointing.

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

Yeah, this is what I expected Shenmoo 3 to look like
so, so good

i love the detail we're seeing here, and ive loved that song for what feels like decades now

facial stuff isn't on point yet but every build they show, it's getting better. i'm confident suzuki will have greatness by the time it launches, the man's an industry icon

an icon of how to waste money, huehuehue

Squishy3

Why-Shenmue-3-must-never-be-made_6.jpg

There's stylized, and then there's shitty.
So like, what you're really noticing is the proportions are all jacked up, and there's nothing to distract from how wide Ryo's cheeks are. The original game and 2 uses the bandage as a focal point next to his eyes, nose and mouth, and helps distract you from how terribly spaced everything is. Shenmue III doesn't have that luxury (unless they add it in in the future) but I imagine it's not too late in development to iron out the facial structure.

Not gonna worry about facial animations for a game that most of us have been waiting for 16 years and this is not even remotely close to the final build.

The positive side about this feedback from everyone is that they'll take notice of this immediately and start working on them sooner, rather than later, as might have planned already, because of how viral this criticism is gonna go from here.

Cannot wait for a full fledged trailer.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Thank you for sharing this, it has put my mind at ease.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Like people played the first two games because of their awsome animation and voice acting. Fans of the series won't be bothered by this. Newcomers probably will.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
They could have legit used the Dreamcast engine and I would be pigshit happy. I should about their faces but I don't. This could be storyboards over a sound track and I would have forked over $60.

As said a million times above me, lack of facial animations and model rigging make it look pretty lifeless, but I'm sure this is very early in-development footage. Main theme still hits so good. Color me excited.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...-3-broke-records-because-sony-lied-to-backers

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/shenmue/35920/shenmue-iii-yu-suzuki-explains-sony-funding

Sounds like a bit more than just "revealing it at their stage"... But was a good way to get some glorified pre orders in.
Yeah I was wrong. Still it's not like Sony has a say in what happens in this game, so idk why people are bringing them up. Any down falls this game may have ain't up to Sony.

Top Bottom