• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

FZZ

Banned
NBA Regular Season |OT| Zo TIme is Here

NBA Regular Season |OT| Stable as Embiid's Knees and Durant's Self-esteem

NBA Regular Season |OT| Lonzo 🐐

jdstorm

Banned

Lets assume Westbrook doesn't sign his extension by the start of the season. Sam Presti can't afford to lose Durant, Westbrook and George in their primes for nothing within 2 seasons.

So OKC will Package Westbrook and George to collectively increase their value. OKC will want (at minimum) 1 proven/semi proven star under team control. Ideally a stretch 5 and Porzingis is likely to be close to the top of their list. This makes New York one of maybe 5 or 6 viable trade partners for a Westbrook + George package.

Something like

NY get
Westbrook, George possibly a D League Filler player or 2

OKC get Kristaps, Hardaway, Frank N, Noah, Lance Thomas and some future picks

Bread

Banned
Lets assume Westbrook doesn't sign his extension by the start of the season. Sam Presti can't afford to lose Durant, Westbrook and George in their primes for nothing within 2 seasons.

So OKC will Package Westbrook and George to collectively increase their value. OKC will want (at minimum) 1 proven/semi proven star under team control. Ideally a stretch 5 and Porzingis is likely to be close to the top of their list. This makes New York one of maybe 5 or 6 viable trade partners for a Westbrook + George package.
511001748_881f933034_o.gif

Something like

NY get
Westbrook, George possibly a D League Filler player or 2

OKC get Kristaps, Hardaway, Frank N, Noah, Lance Thomas and some future picks
Why would NY gut their team for 2 guys that will walk after their contracts expire at the end of the season?

jdstorm

Banned
OKC can't trade George til mid season I believe, and they would only get scraps for him.

Around Mid December i believe.

And you are right. George (and Westbrook) are worth Scraps by themselves... but together its a whole different equation.

Going by past trades George and Westbrook are each worth 1 starter and 1 mid first round pick. So at minimum that package should be worth 2 starters and two productive rookie scale players.

However in the East Westbrook + George + one star = title contender and future financial flexibility. There are going to be teams that will take a chance on that and that will drive their value up.

Edit: New York as a major market would be willing to overpay for a real playoff run and the hope that Westbrook and George want to stay in NYC. If both players leave NY still wins as they have cleared Hardaway and Noah's contracts off the books, and they can still trade Melo for something to kick off their rebuilding effort at the draft.

Also asking "Why would NY Gut their team" implies that the Knicks have something worth holding onto when a best case scenario for this current team is the 6 seed in the east and a first round exit.

Edit2: the Monroe scenario was a gambit that would have Cleveland stealing Boogie for cheap at the deadline while extorting Milwaukee for more future picks then any other team would offer. If didn't happen so whatever.

1/2 a season with George and no verbal commitment would probably net you BKN pick, Frye and Shumpert

I wonder if LAC would make a run at George with Jordan expiring? I'd rather give the max to George than DeAndre.

1/2 a season with George and no verbal commitment would probably net you BKN pick, Frye and Shumpert

I wonder if LAC would make a run at George with Jordan expiring? I'd rather give the max to George than DeAndre.

Clippers make a run in FA or in a Trade? I feel like their cache of assets are dry this year.

jdstorm

Banned
NBA 2017-18 |OT| Pass around whatever it is that jdstorm is smoking.

Sure. Why not.

But seriously. Say you were Sam Presti, its October 25 and Westbrook hasn't signed an extension in OKC. Now you are facing the very real possibility of Westbrook and George leaving for nothing at the end of the season.

What would you do in that situation?

Clippers make a run in FA or in a Trade? I feel like their cache of assets are dry this year.
I doubt they have the cap space to sign a max FA without gutting some of that roster. I meant send Jordan to OKC for George. It's overpaying more than any other team but you're now you're the most likely to resign George.

I feel like moving on from CP3 and giving the massive contract to Blake, the way that team is built is going to change and I don't think it starts with committing to another max contract in Jordan.

Sure. Why not.

But seriously. Say you were Sam Presti, its October 25 and Westbrook hasn't signed an extension in OKC. Now you are facing the very real possibility of Westbrook and George leaving for nothing at the end of the season.

You'd get more value in two separate deals at different times during the season.

Sure. Why not.

I would let it happen, because seeing the fans reaction of Westbrook leaving two years after KD would be really nice.

Sure. Why not.

Offer them bigger contacts than any other team can.

jdstorm

Banned
I doubt they have the cap space to sign a max FA without gutting some of that roster. I meant send Jordan to OKC for George. It's overpaying more than any other team but you're now you're the most likely to resign George.

I feel like moving on from CP3 and giving the massive contract to Blake, the way that team is built is going to change and I don't think it starts with committing to another max contract in Jordan.

You'd get more value in two separate deals at different times during the season.

You might get more overall value (Maybe) but contending in the NBA is about collecting stars and the only way you might have a shot at a top 20 ish player is both together.

If you are OKC you have to take that chance and recycle basically your whole roster for as many legitimate stars as you can get (2 maybe 3) because that at least gives you something to help sell tickets.

You might get more overall value (Maybe) but contending in the NBA is about collecting stars and the only way you might have a shot at a top 20 ish player is both together.

If you are OKC you have to take that chance and recycle basically your whole roster for as many legitimate stars as you can get (2 maybe 3) because that at least gives you something to help sell tickets.

So trading the MVP (in name only) and a top 15 player is the only way to land a top 20ish player?

Riiiight

jdstorm

Banned
So trading the MVP (in name only) and a top 15 player is the only way to land a top 20ish player?

Riiiight

Wow. Salty much.
Is that you KD?

Not saying its the only way, but NBA teams are quite pretective of their elite players and OKC isn't exactly a free agent destination. How else would they land a top 20 player.

This summer we have already seen that Jimmy Buttler, Kyrie Irving and Paul George couldn't command a singular elite player. (Even with Minnesota massively overpaying for Jimmy Buttler)

mjp2417

Banned
Wow. Salty much.
Is that you KD?

Not saying its the only way, but NBA teams are quite pretective of their elite players and OKC isn't exactly a free agent destination. How else would they land a top 20 player.

This summer we have already seen that Jimmy Buttler, Kyrie Irving and Paul George couldn't command a singular elite player. (Even with Minnesota massively overpaying for Jimmy Buttler)

wait, what

FZZ

Banned
Sure. Why not.

Stop.

Drop.

And jmon.

I'd have a championship in okc by 2019 guranteed

Line_HTX

@Jonathan_Feigen 1h1 hour ago

Status quo in NY. Knicks brass say Carmelo to be at media day Monday, practice Tuesday. That should end rumors for a good 20, 25 minutes.

Fuck New York.

>:T

plus

can you pass me the blunt? why would melo, who has been extremely adamant in not waiving his NTC for anywhere but Houston, waive it for OKC in exchange for PG and Westbrook?

He wouldn't waive it for Boston, not Cleveland, not SA, not OKC. He wants to play with his buddy CP3 and the Knicks are blueballing him, made even more evident by the press conference the FO had today. Knicks would rather hold onto melo than trade for 3 years of Ryan Anderson in an already overcrowded frontcourt (thanks phil).

edit: realize the proposal was to move pg and westbrook to team up with melo in ny, still a crazy thought lol @_@

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/NBA-refs-can-rule-reckless-closeouts-as-flagrants-12220572.php

NEW YORK (AP) — NBA referees will be able to call flagrant or technical fouls on defenders who dangerously close on jump shooters without allowing them space to land, as Zaza Pachulia did on the play that injured Spurs star Kawhi Leonard in last season's playoffs.

Officials will also make sure jump shooters are in their upward shooting motion when determining if a perimeter foul is worthy of free throws, which could cut down on James Harden's attempts after he swings his arms into contact.

"It's 100 percent for the safety of the players," NBA senior vice president of replay and referee operations Joe Borgia said Thursday.

The NBA had made the freedom to land a point of emphasis for officials a few years ago, because of the risk of injuries. But the play got renewed attention during the playoffs because of Leonard's injury, and also one in which Washington forward Markieff Morris landed on Al Horford's foot in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal, knocking him out of a game the Celtics rallied to win.

Officials can still rule the play a common foul if they did not see a dangerous or unnatural attempt by the defender upon review. Borgia said Pachulia's foul would have been deemed a flagrant.

With the fouls on the perimeter shots — often coming when the offensive player has come off a screen and quickly attempts to launch a shot as his defender tries to catch up — officials will focus on the sequencing of the play. The player with the ball must already be in his shooting motion when contact is made, rather than gathering the ball to shoot such as on a drive to the basket.

"We saw it as a major trend in the NBA so we had to almost back up and say, 'Well, wait a minute, this is going to be a trend, so let's catch up to it,'" NBA president of league operations Byron Spruell said.

Eat it Harden.

any time a 7 footer has played 32 total games in 3 years due to various leg injuries, you should be worried. Big men with leg problems don't usually just miraculously become pictures of health. It would be a miracle for Joel to buck the trend.

I think impossible. Not sure what big man became a real force after a series of early leg injuries. Leg Problems mid-career, sure, Walton, Duncan, couple others.

Griffin had the early injury, and good years...Amare broke down later...yea, it's tough.

plus

Cedi osman would be a pretty decent get, especially with the euro synergy the knicks have going on with hernangomez/porzingis/kuzminskas/ntilikina. Would probably force us to take RJ/Frye/Shump though smh.

Could totally see David Blatt coaching the team if Horny gets fired, especially since he was teammates with our president Steve Mills back in Princeton :l

Top Bottom