• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

benzy

Where are the ppl that were saying in-game graphics do/will look the same as they did in photo mode and replays? That wasn't the case at all after playing the demo.

replay
zZ8Ndd.png

gameplay
wHGWX4.png

photomode
siT3BI.png

gameplay
NTLmtq.png

---------
misc gameplay

OxoK5W.png

g5Pv1J.png

19hu6x.png

9jqO4n.png

Gaenor

Banned
nice screenshots

Why is there a GT watered logo if this shot was taken during gameplay? I never noticed it when I played. (Legit question)

I didn't even notice that. Seems everytime you push the PS Share button it auto puts it on there for some reason. Guess Sony wants to watermark all GT share pics. You can see it in Dr. Guildo's gameplay pics too and he has the HUD turned on during gameplay.

Indeed, it seems to add it when pressing the Share button. I just checked my own screenshots. Strange !

benzy

Why is there a GT watered logo if this shot was taken during gameplay? I never noticed it when I played. (Legit question)

I didn't even notice that. Seems everytime you push the PS Share button it auto puts it on there for some reason. Guess Sony wants to watermark all GT share pics. You can see it in Dr. Guildo's gameplay pics too and he has the HUD turned on during gameplay.

37578935662_530b6aeff9_o.png

37578936532_7be22f90ac_o.png

l2ounD

GTS looks great, but the position of the driver's thumb is really bothering me, haha. It just looks so awkward.

I'd prefer a more normal grip, but I can see why they would go this direction. With wheels that come in different sizes and shapes this was probably their solution for a one size fits all approach. I'd imagine doing it with a normal grip could cause way more bugs.

And it occasionally happens;
Wf204bu.png

jayu26

37578935662_530b6aeff9_o.png

37578936532_7be22f90ac_o.png
That's smart way to doing it. Graphics are selling point for GTS.

I'd prefer a more normal grip, but I can see why they would go this direction. With wheels that come in different sizes and shapes this was probably their solution for a one size fits all approach. I'd imagine doing it with a normal grip could cause way more bugs.

And it occasionally happens;
Wf204bu.png
Yeah, I know people drive like that, but it looks weird in GTS. Maybe it's the glove or the length of the thumb or something.

Honestly been pretty impressed by GT Sports' implementation of 2D trees, except on one or two tracks that doesn't work.

Rally tracks in particular looks absolutely crap in GT Sports.

theWB27

Honestly been pretty impressed by GT Sports' implementation of 2D trees, except on one or two tracks that doesn't work.

Rally tracks in particular looks absolutely crap in GT Sports.

I don't see how. Trackside in general is lacking and how static everything is doesn't help it. It's extremely boring to look at.

shandy706

My first impressions.

I got the ultimate luck receiving the Mustang like I wanted as my starter car!

Sweet

The Mustang looks really good in the starting space.

First Impressions in race on the driver test track. Okay, this looks really bad. The environment is a real eyesore. Yikes.

After getting gold in a bunch of driver tests and running a race, the in-game graphics are really rough on the tracks I've played.

I'll play more to see if things get better visually. The way the cars are lit is top-notch as always though.

The handling is a breeze even without assists.

We have a winner here.

It looks nice if stills are taken at just the right moment and if you view it on a phone/tablet. On a 50" screen the LOD and textures are rooouuuuugh.

theWB27

My first impressions.

Sweet

First Impressions in race on the driver test track. Okay, this looks really bad. The environment is a real eyesore. Yikes.

After getting gold in a bunch of driver tests and running a race, the in-game graphics are really rough on the tracks I've played.

I'll play more to see if things get better visually. The way the cars are lit is top-notch as always though.

It looks nice if stills are taken at just the right moment and if you view it on a phone/tablet. On a 50" screen the LOD and textures are rooouuuuugh.

How do you feel about the sense of speed?

KageMaru

My first impressions.

Sweet

Let's be fair here, there's nothing in the game that looks really bad. I was honestly expecting the worst when playing the rally races but thought they looked pretty good. Sure not as good as the circuit tracks but still not as bad as I was lead to expect by some here.

Gestault

GTS | Standard PS4, gameplay

The overall feel of some of these tracks are great, but a few are just like...what? You'd think some shots are from totally separate games.

FlLkr5A.png

id0cQvc.png

And I'm hoping this gets patched in the final version, because it's reasonably consistent: Different LoDs seem to use different shader materials. so you get obvious LoD pop where you might not otherwise notice.

P8sYkNt.gif

Ignore the jitter on the projected shadows, but PD got the various reflectivity levels pretty much perfect in night scenarios.

aiUYdg8.gif

pixelation

No one has beat DC for weather effects ... and for that matter in a lot of other aspects.

Every time DC comes up, I hate Sony for shutting Evo down. We could have seen a DC2 this year or next and this thread would have been full of DC2 shots putting other racers behind graphically.

Agreed 100%... i'd kill for a Pro patch.

Gestault

Uh, how do I play in those tracks? I only had 3 tracks to choose from.

Err, I think those are all accessible in the normal Career events in the demo. Like, the empty stadium version of the oval is in the [whatever the third category is] where you practice the racing line, the full dragon track is in the endurance race in the second category, etc.

pixelation

The overall feel of some of these tracks are great, but a few are just like...what? You'd think some shots are from totally separate games.

FlLkr5A.png

id0cQvc.png

And I'm hoping this gets patched in the final version, because it's reasonably consistent: Different LoDs seem to use different shader materials. so you get obvious LoD pop where you might not otherwise notice.

P8sYkNt.gif

Ignore the jitter on the projected shadows, but PD got the various reflectivity levels pretty much perfect in night scenarios.

aiUYdg8.gif

Yo... those gifs look crazy good!, first one made me think it was real life no kidding... until i saw the LOD pop-in.

Fredrik

Definitely does. Very noticeable.
Definitely not. When the Forza 7 talk started about 2D trees there were no "GTS does that too" responses at all, everybody just slammed FM7 for that and compared it to old Forza etc. And it's been several days since the demo came and just now people are noticing 2D trees in GTS too. So it's NOT very noticeable, unless you're really looking for it. Same thing with Forza, people were just more eager to find something to criticise there.

Ehker

Definitely not. When the Forza 7 talk started about 2D trees there were no "GTS does that too" responses at all, everybody just slammed FM7 for that and compared it to old Forza etc. And it's been several days since the demo came and just now people are noticing 2D trees in GTS too. So it's NOT very noticeable, unless you're really looking for it. Same thing with Forza, people were just more eager to find something to criticise there.

Look, let's just say Maple Valley is really something special: https://youtu.be/1A-0kD2b85U?t=25s

Gestault

Maple Valley has outright bad foliage, full stop. That said, someone who doesn't see the weird 2D trees in GTS isn't looking (or more realistically, hasn't actually played the game because it hasn't been released). They follow the camera viewpoint in their own odd way, in addition to many having the two-tone posterized look.

Crayon

Re; gts replays vs gameplay

I'm pretty sure in just seeing motio blur and dof as a difference. Maybe fov. Has anyone found anything else?

benzy

FlLkr5A.png

id0cQvc.png

This isn't really a bad looking track at all though, especially when you change up the time settings. It isn't a step below the other tracks I've played. There are some time of day settings, such as that overcast, where the vegetation shaders don't have much to work with; but they still react beautifully to light, subsurface scatter, and self shadows across the other various time of day. I find the hazy daylight and noon looks the best.

KnfyIA.png

mkoozs.png

aEHPoX.png

0I3a1T.png

6d7mPv.png

------

8mF2y6.png

Ih7efv.png

Db0QD0.png

64XMr5.png

1uWzFK.png

Rotating billboards and especially the multiple ones on 3D stumps to always face the camera actually works really well. You avoid the large X-cross billboard approach where you can get those awkward seams like in Forza 7. Pcars 2 also went with the GTSport and Driveclub route.

gts
ttwNXC.png

forza 7
IEa61O.png

KageMaru

Played more of the beta tonight. It might be a bit exaggerated at times, but I really like the glare bouncing off the cars. It's more visually appealing.

Maple Valley has outright bad foliage, full stop. That said, someone who doesn't see the weird 2D trees in GTS isn't looking (or more realistically, hasn't actually played the game because it hasn't been released). They follow the camera viewpoint in their own odd way, in addition to many having the two-tone posterized look.

Yeah with the games needing to hit 60fps, the trees do leave something to be desired at times in both games. I think the lighting conditions make the biggest difference there.

This isn't really a bad looking track at all though, especially when you change up the time settings. It isn't a step below the other tracks I've played. There are some time of day settings, such as that overcast, where the vegetation shaders don't have much to work with; but they still react beautifully to light, subsurface scatter, and self shadows across the other various time of day. I find the hazy daylight and noon looks the best.

The thing that sticks out to me most in Gestault's photos is the lack of any shadows. Makes the track look flat compared to the sunny times of day.

No one has beat DC for weather effects ... and for that matter in a lot of other aspects.

Every time DC comes up, I hate Sony for shutting Evo down. We could have seen a DC2 this year or next and this thread would have been full of DC2 shots putting other racers behind graphically.

Seriously, DC trumps everything I have played and continue to play elsewhere, in it's weather effects, overall visual detail, brilliant lighting in so many different time of day conditions all wrapped with fastest loading times ever. Such a let down that the game wasn't on the to do list for the PS4 Pro implementation :(

Rotating billboards and especially the multiple ones on 3D stumps to always face the camera actually works really well. You avoid the large cross-plane billboard approach where you can get those awkward seams like in Forza 7. Pcars 2 also went with the GTSport and Driveclub route.

gts
ttwNXC.png

forza 7
IEa61O.png

That's your opinion, but I prefer Forza's implementation. While you're driving it looks absolutely ridiculous to see trees turn and always face you. Of course in a still screenshot the tree that's ALWAYS facing you is gonna look more proper.. but during the race.. lol no.

I don't see how. Trackside in general is lacking and how static everything is doesn't help it. It's extremely boring to look at.

look at the screenshots in the thread, or in some videos available. It looks great in gameplay.

That's your opinion, but I prefer Forza's implementation. While you're driving it looks absolutely ridiculous to see trees turn and always face you. Of course in a still screenshot the tree that's ALWAYS facing you is gonna look more proper.. but during the race.. lol no.

Struggling to think about how someone can look at the trees while driving.

As far as for me, the only way both are a problem are during replays or watching other people racing.

look at the screenshots in the thread, or in some videos available. It looks great in gameplay.

As far as for me, the only way both are a problem are during replays or watching other people racing.

lol.. you can.. except in GT.. which ironically doesn't let you pan around your car. I guess we know why.

I definitely noticed while playing. My girlfriend and I were taken aback at how bad the off-road track looked, especially with the billboard trees that rotated as you drove by. We were questioning if the track was brought over from a previous generation of the game...

lol.. you can.. except in GT.. which ironically doesn't let you pan around your car. I guess we know why.

I definitely noticed while playing. My girlfriend and I were taken aback at how bad the off-road track looked, especially with the billboard trees that rotated as you drove by. We were questioning if the track was brought over from a previous generation of the game...

Ok, except the off-road track, which looked really bad :D

That track needs a lot of work to be done to it.

onQ123

No one find it strange that if you post Driveclub/Gran Turismo Sport screenshots or gifs people tell you that the game don't look as good as the pictures & gifs but if you post screenshots or gifs of Forza 7 people tell you that they don't do the game justice?

No one find it strange that if you post Driveclub/Gran Turismo Sport screenshots or gifs people tell you that the game don't look as good as the pictures & gifs but if you post screenshots or gifs of Forza 7 people tell you that they don't do the game justice?

There's been a lot of people in this thread saying the GTS pictures posted don't look that great and how the demo made them realize it. Gifs look much better than the gameplay pics, but I'd rather not get into that again since you don't understand how that works.

Where are all these people saying that Forza 7's pictures don't do it justice? And hopefully you aren't referring to pics where there's rain.. since it's a fact that seeing a still picture doesn't do justice to actually playing it.

dr guildo

The reflections were one of the first things that stood out to me in GT. They are very low res, low update and blocky. Hope they are/have improved for final release.

Instantly noticeable during hood cam. They are very well done in other racing games so I would expect GT to be at least on par. I was shocked honestly.

Pcars2 do have terrible reflections too on Pro, and on mirrors also...

Septic360

Banned

I just find it strange how people are wanking over GT Sports gifs and replay stuff but the actual game looks nothing outstanding at all. The menu is slick etc but the actual gameplay, it seems quite sterile to me. I haven't played on 4K or HDR etc so maybe there's that.

I guess I need to try it a bit more to really get a sense of what people are on about here and switch the feed to Forza.

c0de

So I tried to do some pictures from dragon's tail last night and not being able to move the camera freely around the car makes it almost very difficult to capture things, in my opinion. Gameplay, mind, not replay. And yes, lighting conditions can make the game really look bad. I have to be a USB stick to transfer the files to my computer but be prepared for not looking so hot pictures if I manage to do it today.
To the "replay is the same"-discussion: guys, we have replay gifs in this thread, a lot of them. Especially those that were made when the demo didn't let you play have really not much in common with actual gameplay. Kaz puts a big emphasis on replays and they almost always made the game look better than it actually was when playing and this is totally fine but has to be said as is.
It's of no help if people then take screenshots of how the replays can look the same as gameplay because it can look the same, sure. But the magic from Kaz is when the game is the director and puts the camera in the best angles and applies additional filters.

Top Bottom