• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has a revised PS4 Pro (CUH-7100)?

theclaw135

Banned
So my entire comment is just crazy talk?

My PC has liquid cooling with radiator and powers a 6700k with dual GTX 1080 cards running in SLI. It is definitely louder than my PS4 Pro, and you saying you have no idea where and how to place your console says enough about your perspective and information on the noise your console makes vs your PCs.

Mobile devices and everything have spoiled us. I shudder to think of the reaction you'd get by presenting a Dreamcast to crowd of users who started gaming with the Switch.

llien

The problem is with consoles it's entirely luck of the draw if you get one that is not too noisy and there is little you can do about it beyond placement because they all use custom cooling designs that you can't just replace with better fans and opening the unit and replacing thermal paste will most likely void your warranty.

Which tells mere there is a market for "premium" console models.

Jonathan20022

Neo Member
Shouldn't the Pro models already be the "premium" console model?

Definitely not, they're not even substantial upgrades in the first place. A lot of us, myself included paid launch price for a PS3. I'd gladly dish out 600-700 for a console with some actual power, I'm not into this whole dynamic resolution thing to technically provide downsampled 4k to the masses. They should sell a normal console, and then a really suped up version of it, one that's actually a machine that will push the content on the platform.

This PS4/PS4 Pro, and Xbone/XBOX thing we got going on right now is a total cop out and a waste of money and time to get halfway decent performance, convincing fanbases to rebuy the same console with incremental upgrades.

Mobile devices and everything have spoiled us. I shudder to think of the reaction you'd get by presenting a Dreamcast to crowd of users who started gaming with the Switch.

Totally agree, I'm only 25 but I experienced everything from the Genesis til here. My Dreamcast was a loud console, and I still have it. Reading your comment I went to go plug it in again, and it really is absurdly loud haha, I was too young to care and notice at the time. But we've been spoiled by all of this for sure.

I hear people argue for 60fps, 4k resolution nonstop but the same people want a smaller unit that houses all that hardware and cooling solutions. Have any of you ever built a PC? I have a 4k Gaming PC rig, and it makes noise that's the nature of it. It looks glorious and I wouldn't give it up for the world, so I just turn it up when no one's home or put on my wireless headset if there are people at home to get rid of the noise and not pester my roommate.

Half the time people don't seem to understand that you need a proper cooling solution to keep the unit cool to power your weak "4k" machine. These cooling solutions make noise, period. Wether your noise is more than the norm or not is up in the air, there are always variances and it has everything to do with the environment you live in. If your area is warmer than others, your fans will have to work harder to maintain an optimal temperature. I live in the north and right now every piece of hardware I have is running even better than it was before with far less noise than in the summer.

You can build a "quiet" 4k capable gaming PC. In some cases the fans on the GPU won't even turn on if the game isn't stressing it. Also my Pro was loud in the winter so it's not the environment in my case. I will admit the Pro isn't loud on all games, but when it is loud, it's hard not to notice it. It would be so loud sometimes that I couldn't hear the people talking in the game.

katsais

My wife has a one, and it is a bit quieter than my launch Pro. My Pro never bothers me though, since I always have my gaming headset on.

//DEVIL//

I hear people argue for 60fps, 4k resolution nonstop but the same people want a smaller unit that houses all that hardware and cooling solutions. Have any of you ever built a PC? I have a 4k Gaming PC rig, and it makes noise that's the nature of it. It looks glorious and I wouldn't give it up for the world, so I just turn it up when no one's home or put on my wireless headset if there are people at home to get rid of the noise and not pester my roommate.

Just to show you the extend of how far you are off topic. You have this PC you talk about , and it's noisy which is normal for PC( I have a gaming PC as well )

Now imagine , someone else has the exact same components with the same brand name. But his PC has way lower noise than yours.

Will you :
- question why the fuck your PC is loud when this other guy next door has quite one or
- pretend your PC doesn't have a problem and move on ?

People with the PS4 pro have different noises from the same parts. I was a victim of that . One was normal. The other was like a vacuum cleaner. That's why there is a problem with this pos. Not because they all loud and we are not happy about it . Get it ?

Stimpack

Honestly, had no idea that the PS4 Pro had a reputation of being loud.

I knew the OG joints sounded like leaf blowers, but that was about it.

I have a Pro, and I never notice the fan

Never had an issue with my Pro, but yeah those OG PS4s were loud as hell.

Jonathan20022

Neo Member
You can build a "quiet" 4k capable gaming PC. In some cases the fans on the GPU won't even turn on if the game isn't stressing it. Also my Pro was loud in the winter so it's not the environment in my case. I will admit the Pro isn't loud on all games, but when it is loud, it's hard not to notice it. It would be so loud sometimes that I couldn't hear the people talking in the game.

Yeah like I mentioned, it's definitely possible that consoles could be defective/louder than the norm. But that needs to be defined from the manufacturer so we have an idea what to expect, and what is actually normal. There's just too many factors at play and inconsistencies when people talk about how quiet their consoles are. But that definitely doesn't dismiss the likelihood of there actually being defective units.

Definitely get it replaced if it's doing something abnormal like being too loud to hear the gameplay or the people communicating with you. But in a lot of cases I'm sure the noise is pretty standard and can be remedied in dozens of ways like I did with my closed cabinet/fan solution. Not being out in the open reduced noise, and the fan solution helped keep the closed area cool and quiet so the fans don't have to kick in constantly during play.

Just to show you the extend of how far you are off topic. You have this PC you talk about , and it's noisy which is normal for PC( I have a gaming PC as well )

Now imagine , someone else has the exact same components with the same brand name. But his PC has way lower noise than yours.

Will you :
- question why the fuck your PC is loud when this other guy next door has quite one or
- pretend your PC doesn't have a problem and move on ?

People with the PS4 pro have different noises from the same parts. I was a victim of that . One was normal. The other was like a vacuum cleaner. That's why there is a problem with this pos. Not because they all loud and we are not happy about it . Get it ?

The greatest part of this is that you think my comment is off topic in any way. Dismiss it entirely because I mention a Gaming PC what twice?

I already addressed the possibility of a unit actually being defective in my original comment, try again.

Jonathan20022 said:
If your console is truly defective or not is up in the air, but it's hard to believe some of you have forced Sony to swap your console because it might be slightly louder than the last console. They should just advertise a range of acceptable noise levels and deny cases where it's within that range.

You also completely misunderstood why I brought in a PC into my point at all and made the comparison. Way to miss the point.

The difference here is that other than being from different batches and essentially luck of the draw, all PS4 hardware is identical between model numbers. That is the only reason you can argue for noise levels being higher than the norm.

But I'll address your mundane point, if my neighbor had a computer which I highly doubt would be spec'd the exact same way as mine makes more/less noise. There are dozens of parts and factors at play as to why his device makes more noise. If he did magically have the same PC down to the dot as mine and mine was noiser, yes there is something wrong and I'd take care of it. But the likelihood of that happening is basically none.

If you want to have an actual discussion on the topic, measure how loud the consoles are with a decibel meter and compare with other owners. If yours is literally ramping up to the point where it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and others experience the same unanimously at the same moment, then there's nothing wrong with your unit. But if yours is the anomaly and actually has a problem, then be my guest.

In fact, no one is stopping you from getting warranty replacements because you might have a louder console or not. The warranties are all in effect, and Stores/Sony must honor them by law, so go for it but I don't approve of it if it's just someone being obsessed with noise levels and doesn't even accurately measure the noise to present factual information that their console IS indeed louder.

Hence why I said manufacturers should just advertise a decibel range that your console may ramp up to volume wise under load. And if it's within that range then they should be allowed to deny warranty claims. You might have had a valid case with your "vacuum cleaner" PS4, but if you think people aren't taking advantage of this due to OCD or something you're a fool.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
Okay not sure why the differences aren't posted yet, but here are some notable ones:

PS4 Pro CUH-7xxx (launch model)
20161110_01.jpg

PS4 Pro CUH-71xx (revision model)
20171011_03.jpg

PS4 Pro CUH-7xxx
20161110_07.jpg

PS4 Pro CUH-71xx
20171011_02.jpg

PS4 Pro CUH-7xxx
20161110_13.jpg

PS4 Pro CUH-71xx
20171011_01.jpg

Source for pics: http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2...rocuh-7100.html

------------------------

My observations:

1) The mainboard is tidier in the newer revision, less unnecessary electric traces. There are some components removed simply due to cost cutting.

2) Sony has went back to the old 2-way backplate found on the OG PS4. A 2 way backplate is generally a technical design flaw, it simply doesn't have the same amount of contact pressure as a 4-way backplate as found on the launch Pro and in fact, used in many higher end cooling systems on various other products. It does however seem that Sony has added a 'shimmy' on the middle of the plate however - something which I did personally DIY into my OG PS4's backplate.

3) The back retention plate is now a single piece of metal instead of a carved off area. In theory, this should improve heat transfer from the memory modules as there is a larger surface area. It does remain to be seen if this can improve thermals and thus lower fan noise in reality.

Currently, the only confirmed SKUs for the revised PS4 Pro are from the standalone white PS4 Pro (this is NOT the same from the Destiny 2 white PS4 Pro bundle) and the latest black standalone set just sold in Japan a few weeks ago.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've got a 7016B and can't hear it mostly. All my games are digital except nba2k18. Sit about 3/4 feet away and don't have volume loud or anything.

Great post JustCheeze. That was a good read.

I might hold off on upgrading my PS4 Amateur until a more substantial revision of the Pro becomes available that runs cooler.

My play through of Nier Automata will have to wait a little longer.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
Great post JustCheeze. That was a good read.

I might hold off on upgrading my PS4 Amateur until a more substantial revision of the Pro becomes available that runs cooler.

My play through of Nier Automata will have to wait a little longer.

Thanks.

I believe such a revision can only come with a PS4 Pro "slim", when AMD can get the APU on a smaller process node. I also don't think a slim Pro will be available until we are close to a PS5 reveal (not launch).

Kai Ozu

I really can't believe no one has done test on the new model. I see them at Best Buy and the old models at walmart.

My current PS4 Pro is pretty quiet. My dad has the one with the shitty fan, so it gets pretty loud. We would be willing to upgrade it if this new model generated less heat/less power hungry.

Definitely not, they're not even substantial upgrades in the first place. A lot of us, myself included paid launch price for a PS3. I'd gladly dish out 600-700 for a console with some actual power, I'm not into this whole dynamic resolution thing to technically provide downsampled 4k to the masses. They should sell a normal console, and then a really suped up version of it, one that's actually a machine that will push the content on the platform.

This PS4/PS4 Pro, and Xbone/XBOX thing we got going on right now is a total cop out and a waste of money and time to get halfway decent performance, convincing fanbases to rebuy the samee.

So much fail here, so much wrong

Leonidas

Here's hoping they make a PS4SP (Slim Pro) that is a lot quieter than the current models. Even when I'm running sub 1920x1080 games that don't use all the power the fans eventually kick up more than I prefer.

knerl

yup me too. i was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is especially since my OG PS4 was too loud.

In older pre-pro games not really utilizing the power perhaps or newer ones that runs capped at 30fps. Everything else though and I do not believe you. Try Wolfenstein 2 for a while. That makes the pro unbearably loud. Seriously. When are they going to realize that they should use an external brick and use the extra room for better cooling. Or just a more expensive cooling solution on it's own. Tried every revision and model except for the slim and everything that puts the system under high stress makes me want to throw it out. Not at all acceptable for a gaming machine when you have to pump up the volume or use headphones in order to maybe drown out the fan noise. The tendency it has to give away a whining sound also. Ew. Meanwhile MS is using liquid cooling in one x for just a little bit more money while also giving you a noticeably more powerful machine.

The Shepard

My pro was silent the first 6 months, then super noisey. I put a blob of new themal paste on like all the YouTube vids and cleaned it, it stayed quiet for about a month before being noisy again. I then took it apart again 7 months ago, put the thermal paste on like a 4 blob cross so it spreads better and it's still silent today. So reapply thermal paste and clean out vents if noisy, it's very easy, I could do it in 30 mins.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I have a launch Pro and the fan I guess would fall in the "loud" category. I have no way to measure it, but the only game where it was an actual distraction was Wolfenstein 2. No game has made that system spin the fans up the way that one did. I noticed (even now) if I pause God of War and Spiderman, the fans start churning up, but back into gameplay they start idling down. I want to hold out a bit and see if getting a new model Pro will be worth it. Popped the lid off as well and saw my fan had no dust trapped in it.

One of the joys of gaming with headphones. Noisy console? WHAT?
Not hearing the doorbell kinda sucks, gotta get a flashing light for that I guess.

Top Bottom