• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

ToyMachine228 said:
Bought a DigiTech Whammy today. Haven't used it a ton yet. My first pedal.

I've got one of those too... I'm thinking of adding it to my pedal board, it doesn't get much use at home, but maybe I can torture people with it at band rehearsals and gigs :)

doomed1 said:
If you're willing to put a little more in, Ovation guitars are absolutely FANTASTIC. If you think you can go as far as $300, I'd go for a Celebrity center hole. The tone is warm and mellow, the construction is great, and that powered EQ and pickup is a GREAT electric element.

I will say that this was my second guitar and, while fine at first, I grew to hate its tone over the next three years. It really made me wish I had just picked up an entry level takemine or yamaha.

Ikopi

deim0s said:
Thinking about those Roland Cube 20 XL's as a practise amp, any thoughts Guitar GAF? Since my old-ish MG50FX is too loud for the family and neighbors.

I have one of those. Perfect for practicing in a bedroom or somewhere like that. You can limit it to 2W instead of 20W.

The clean channel is excellent. The more distorted you go, the more it sounds like a transistor amp but the distorted and overdrive channel are still pretty good quality.

bill0527

doomed1 said:
If you're willing to put a little more in, Ovation guitars are absolutely FANTASTIC. If you think you can go as far as $300, I'd go for a Celebrity center hole. The tone is warm and mellow, the construction is great, and that powered EQ and pickup is a GREAT electric element.

I've owned an Ovation Celebrity CC 057 - exact same guitar Charlie has in LOST. I've had it for 2 years and I'm trying to get rid of it.

The electronics are nice. Ovation is one of the originators in acoustic/electric electronics, but for me the problem was the plastic rounded back. For me, the tone has been nice as long as I keep fresh strings on it. Unfortunately, I have what my friends call 'acid hands' and I'm not allowed to touch their guitars because I wear out strings quickly. I have very oily and acidic hands and usually after 2 weeks of a fresh string change, you can see noticeable wear on the strings over the frets and on the strings over the sound hole if I've been fingerpicking a lot. I've tried every string brand out there on my various acoustic guitars and its the same situation with all of them, so the problem is with me.

The plastic rounded back has turned out to be a nightmare for me if I play sitting down. The problem is that it slides around if I have it resting on my lap because of the round bottom and I have to fight with the instrument constantly. Standing up is no problem. I participated in my daughter's first grade christmas program this past year and I played christmas tunes on the guitar. This was my first time actually playing this particular guitar in front of anyone and I will never do it again. They had me sitting on a stool in the corner and I fought with the instrument through the whole program to try and find a spot where it would rest comfortably on my lap. I finally ended up tightening my strap so that it sat high enough on my chest and wouldn't touch my lap, but it was uncomfortable for me to play that way. I have a 20 year old Alvarez acoustic that is very comfortable to play sitting down so I'm using this one until I can sell the Ovation and buy something new.

Anyway, that long rant about Ovation is not the reason why I came back into the thread. It just happened to catch my eye a couple of posts up so I thought I would share my own personal experience.

The reason why I posted was about Apogee's JAM interface for ipad/iphone so I could record with my electric. I've got the Garageband app, and somebody in the iPad thread recommended the JAM. I've got a birthday in 2 weeks and was going to order it tonight and let my wife give it to me for my birthday. Unfortunately, nobody is selling it right now. It appears like both Apple and Apogee have pulled it from their stores and its not available on Amazon either. Does anyone know what's going on with this thing or can recommend an alternative? Was it a dud or faulty and they pulled it, or was there some other reason?

Just because I want to show it off.

1933 Martin OM-18

23r0let.jpg

With regards to lower end acoustics. Eastman is HANDS DOWN the best builder of sub $1000 acoustic guitars. There's no contest. They're building well constructed guitars out of solid adi and EIR, Mahogany and other tonewoods for under $1000.

They're well known for archtops and mandolins but they're making some killer steel string acoustics right now. A friend of mine just bought an OM and it blew me away.

I've personally given up trying to find an acoustic pickup that sounds natural. It's mics or bust.

I consider myself a lucky man, because I own not one, but TWO of the greatest versions of the greatest guitar ever made.

Parkers.jpg

On the right is the first Parker I ever bought, an original Parker Fly Deluxe. It sat at a local Sam Ash in the used gear section for three years before I finally got to take it home after an entire summer of saving (the new ones retailed for between $2,600-$3,600). One day I came into the store to pick up some strings and a pick and saw it sitting against a Marshall half stack. I was immediately drawn to how thin it is. Being a smaller guy with child's hands I never felt comfortable holding guitars like Epiphones or Gibsons. Even Fenders felt a little too thick to me. At the time, I was playing mostly Ibanez.

I picked it up and couldn't believe how LIGHT it was - just above four pounds. The neck was equally smaller than other guitars, it felt almost too thin. The most unique part of the neck is not the thickness though, it's the carbon fiber material they place over the top. To give you an idea, it's the same stuff they make RC helicopter blades out of. Getting to the point, the neck is SMOOTH and plays faster than anything else out there. So basically what you have in this guitar is extreme comfort.

And the sound...simply put, it blew me away. I'm not talking just in terms of the quality of tone these things put out, but the variety. They can mash insane heavy distortion or sound like any other guitar out there. That includes something as specific in tone as a single pick up Fender. This is because the pickups are active and they have a Fishman Piezo built in to the bridge. Speaking of the bridge, it's unique in design and has all the tuning stability of a floyd rose without having to dick around with allen wrenches for a hour. They also have locking tuners.

On the left is a factory second Refined Parker Fly Deluxe. I lucked out and caught it on ebay when some guy was ditching a bunch of gear for way less than he should have been charging for it. It's a second because of a few small blemishes in the finish that can't even be noticed unless you look right at them. This is the new version of the Fly that has a few alterations - the internal wiring is no where near as much of a clusterfuck, the neck is a bit thicker, the arrangement of the nobs and the access to the truss rod, etc. Some people say it's improved overall, I'd just say it's different. Both have their pros/cons.

I'm in Chicago so luckily I have two places I can take these to get setup/make alterations - the Parker factory and Third Coast Guitar, which has a few ex-Parker employees. A guy at Third Coast helped me install a new pick up (DiMarzio Supra Distortion III) since I wanted the refined to be the guitar I'd use for heavier music and the original to be my fingerstyle/mellow guitar. The pick up makes in sound insanely good and the heavy tone is crystal clear, even under thick distortion. One word of warning though, changing the pickups or doing maintenance on these is a bitch. The pick ups are not only f-spaced but installed directly into the body with no saddles. The guitar's various parts are also unique and most techs will not be able to set it up properly for you so either learn how to maintain them correctly or be prepared to look high and low for someone that can.

I don't have any recordings with these yet, but I have a couple crappy quality youtube videos if you're interested in hearing them.

Heavy stuff, horrible quality -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-M2HCMs6k

Mellow tone, decent quality -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9o-WbVJpY

I have a pretty decent rig too, but I don't have any pictures at the moment. I'll post some later.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey what do you guys think I could get for this bad boy? Marshall 30.

mg30dfx.jpg

New was 250$ It's in great working condition. I just want to upgrade amps is all.

Medalion

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Hey what do you guys think I could get for this bad boy? Marshall 30.

mg30dfx.jpg

New was 250$ It's in great working condition. I just want to upgrade amps is all.
I have this amp... It is a decent practice beginners amp but I wouldnt try to gig with it or anything

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Mister Wilhelm said:
Depends who you sell it to. I'd expect around $100.

Are you upgrading to a tube driven amp?

Hmmm, I was hoping to get 120ish.

Yes I am. I'm currently looking at the Marshall Class 5.

Medalion said:
I have this amp... It is a decent practice beginners amp but I wouldnt try to gig with it or anything

Yea I'm not in a band or anything. I mainly use it just to jam in my room or in my friend's basement.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ducky_McGee said:

1933 Martin OM-18

http://i51.tinypic.com/23r0let.jpg[IMG]

With regards to lower end acoustics. Eastman is HANDS DOWN the best builder of sub $1000 acoustic guitars. There's no contest. They're building well constructed guitars out of solid adi and EIR, Mahogany and other tonewoods for under $1000.

They're well known for archtops and mandolins but they're making some killer steel string acoustics right now. A friend of mine just bought an OM and it blew me away.

I've personally given up trying to find an acoustic pickup that sounds natural. It's mics or bust.[/QUOTE]
You better be literally the best guitar player in the world if you own a $25,000.00 guitar.

Angry Grimace said:
You better be literally the best guitar player in the world if you own a $25,000.00 guitar.

yeah, i'd go on stage and play a shitty F minor chord and say...That was a $25k chord bitches

XenoRaven

This thread doesn't seem to be checked too often, but in case someone sees it I'm looking at getting a new bass. Right now it seems like it's between the Stingray 5 HH and the G&L L-2500. Anyone play either one of these and have a preference?

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone here own a Zoom g9.2tt? I just rented it to try it out before I decide to buy it, and I can't figure out the damn OS on it. I rented a BOSS GT-10 a long time ago, and figured out how to use it immedietly. With the Zoom I can't figure out how to change effects for each pedal, I'm stuck with pitch change and volume adjustment. I really want to try the harmony and wah-wah pedal settings, but have no idea how to select them! I tried reading the manual and it didn't help.

whitehawk said:
Anyone here own a Zoom g9.2tt? I just rented it to try it out before I decide to buy it, and I can't figure out the damn OS on it. I rented a BOSS GT-10 a long time ago, and figured out how to use it immedietly. With the Zoom I can't figure out how to change effects for each pedal, I'm stuck with pitch change and volume adjustment. I really want to try the harmony and wah-wah pedal settings, but have no idea how to select them! I tried reading the manual and it didn't help.

yeah, I bought a Zoom pedal a few years ago.....the most user-unfriendly device I ever used. ugh!

GT-10 was a pleasure to deal with in comparison, especially since they offer the easy tone tweaking feature.

This is why I will always forever be a tube guy. Tube amps, most of the time, sound great no matter how you dial the knobs. All it needs is volume and power. I just hate tweaking. At least with my Axe Fx, I dial my settings with my computer via Axe Edit.....so much easier and more fun.

pnjtony

Ovation Celebrity
iem0ys.jpg

Got it just this weekend.

I have small hands. Ovation acoustics have thinner necks. That works for me.

Fusebox

Banned
whitehawk said:

I've got that Zoom. I don't use it these days but I remember how to use it. Still need help?

In other news I'm about to sell half my guitar collection. Any Aussies who are interested in any of my axes drop me a line.

Hey, saw the thread, thought I'd post some pictures of my gear. They're a little low quality since my camera is old though.

http://i55.tinypic.com/bgphk8.jpg[IMG]
From left: 1983 Custom Fender Strat that my uncle had built. Fender acoustic that was about $200. G&L ASAT Classic also given to me by my uncle. The amps are a montgomery wards amp that I bought once at some big fairgrounds guitar sale, then my uncle had someone fix it up and modify it a bit. On the bottom is a Dr. Z Mazerati 18 NR that's also been modified quite a bit, so I have no idea what's in it anymore. It was my uncle's old amp that he gave to me one year, then modified it the next after I asked if he could just have it looked at.

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/10die5e.jpg[IMG]
Close-up of the strat. It has three pickup switches, one for each pickup. The tone and volume knobs are concentric, so the volume knob is the silver one in the middle of the black ring, which is the tone knob.

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/1z2osh0.jpg[IMG]
Closeup of the Z. Two of those knobs can be pulled out (modification of the original) one is a boost, and the other is sort of a fattener.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/245x6bt.jpg[IMG]
VOX VT30. It's a hybrid amp. I like it still even though I've got two tube amps. It has a nice clean tone and a lot of effects and amp models that are still useable (at least in my opinion, but I can typically find a use for everything.)

Just edited it because I saw how huge my pictures were. Sorry!

Ducky_McGee said:

1933 Martin OM-18

Beautiful!

Ducky_McGee said:

I love mine:

I think it compares very favourably to the Martin, Taylor and Larrivée guitars I've played; so far I've only liked a pair of Martin OOOs more, a -28EC and a different model with a V neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU2u-uH4QPY

Here are some of my other guitars:

Eastman Thinline:

Fender Stratocaster:

Greco LP-clone:

Larson 12-string tricone:

More pics here and here.

No pics yet, but I just pulled the trigger on a Pod HD500 floorboard for the recording studio (or as my wife calls it, the "spare bedroom"). It should get here on Tuesday. The online clips are amazing, but I doubt it will replace my Mesa Mark IV head and cab and pedal board for live stuff any time soon.

Bradlums

My two main guitars. Godin LGXT on the left and Peavey Unity Series Bass. Both are really versatile instruments and have great playability.

weewooweewoo.jpg

Btw love the Parkers Mister Wilhelm. It was tough choosing between a Parker and my Godin. I don't regret my decision, but I'm sure I would've been just as satisfied with the Parker.

whitehawk

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
yeah, I bought a Zoom pedal a few years ago.....the most user-unfriendly device I ever used. ugh!

GT-10 was a pleasure to deal with in comparison, especially since they offer the easy tone tweaking feature.

This is why I will always forever be a tube guy. Tube amps, most of the time, sound great no matter how you dial the knobs. All it needs is volume and power. I just hate tweaking. At least with my Axe Fx, I dial my settings with my computer via Axe Edit.....so much easier and more fun.
I finally rented it and I completely agree with you. It sounded good, but it was so un userfriendly. I didn't know how to change the effects for the pedals. Like wah-wah or harmonization etc. It was terrible. I was stuck with pitch bend the whole time. I rented the Boss GT 10 a while ago and it was much easier to use.

whitehawk

Banned
Mister Wilhelm said:
Depends who you sell it to. I'd expect around $100.

Are you upgrading to a tube driven amp?
Huh? I thought all amps were tube driven? Obviously I don't know enough about guitar equipment. This is why I took up the trumpet I think.

whitehawk said:
Huh? I thought all amps were tube driven? Obviously I don't know enough about guitar equipment. This is why I took up the trumpet I think.

Some amps are solid state (just PCBs), usually beginner amps and metal amps.

scotcheggz

This is my No.1 guitar. It's an absolute POS!

zpZ6I.jpg

I bought it 14 years ago with my first paycheck from my first job. Since then it's been played with a screwdriver (quite a lot), a vibrator (a lot) and a junior hacksaw (few times), droppped about 40 feet down an escalator on the tube in London, left behind at a venue in Nottingham (had to get them to post it to me, probably cost me more than the thing was worth!) and frequently abused by a drummer as percussion.

Had to re-wire her a couple of times and I swapped the pickups with a smashed up Gibson Thunderbird that I nicked from backstage at a ...trail of dead gig. Going to buy a Jaguar next week, so I thought I'd post her up as a final salute. What a gem!

Also, does anyone know if I can use a EU power supply with an adapter in a UK Holy Grail? I can't find a UK plug for it, only EU and mine is on the fritz.

Coeliacus

Cool thread. I've a basic tanglewood acoustic that my then girlfriend bought me a few years ago. I only really started playing it a few months ago and I'm really getting into it.

I'm forcing myself to fight the urge to go and blow a bunch of money on an electric /w amp and the gear necessary to record on my PC until I'm comfortable playing this thing, but when I am I'll definitely coming back to this thread.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
No pictures (yet) but I am working on a new setup over the next couple months that is going to be sexy as hell (live-show setup)

ESP LTD F-350 (I wish I could get a higher quality of this guitar without it costing me 5K :( ) quickly switched to a single coil lead channel for more piercing solos and going with passive for a little less crunch

Probably get a Marshall half-stack (I've been Peavey amps for a while but I am sick of their tone, I can't reach what I want)

Going with some Pro-Rat distortion, a good delay, definitely going with Cry-baby Wah, setting up a sexy lead guitar run.

I'm pretty excited for where I'm going with this setup, although my old setup (ESP EC w/ EMG 81s run through a Peavey classic amp with BOSS MT-2 and no effects) is going to work great for a punk project I am working on. For those not in the know, for a Metal effects pedal you can, with fiddling, get a pretty slutty crunch for hard rock/punk music out of it!

Pilgor

Ducky_McGee said:
Looks really neat. I really want a 12 string acoustic and a mandolin. Are you a bluegrass player?

I really want a 12 string too, I'm waiting for a real gem. I have another mandolin from 1942 built in France, all flame maple sides and back, with a two tier spruce top. It's quite neat, but I'm repairing it right now, so I haven't string it up yet.

I'm more of a metal or prog-rock player, but I really like everything. I have bass, drums, sax, flute, uke, piano in addition to my mandolin and guitars. I just like learning new instruments.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Was playing with the band today and afterwards put my guitar in the case and noticed something.

icimMk.jpg

-___-

...oh well. You can't really upgrade from this quality, but only get something that sounds different, so I was never going to sell it. Two years before the first one is pretty good, right?

I love dings on my guitars, shows we actually use it instead of a coffee table lol. All my Martin acoustics and les Paula are pretty beat up. I love the way they look.

Thoughts on the Proco RAT or Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer?

The input jacks on my Boss OS-2 are shit and sometimes cut off my signal completely, need a new distortion/OD pedal. Never was in love with the OS-2 (far too trebly and "thin" sounding on leads) but it was cheap, willing to spend a little more this time. Watched a couple Youtube demos of the aforementioned pedals but everyone keeps playing goddamned Stevie Ray Vaughn blues. I Mainly play 80s/90s alternative rock going between something like The Stone Roses and early Radiohead to the Pixies, Pavement and Guided By Voices. I'll probably be boosting it with a Big Muff Pi also.

T-Matt

Red Blaster said:
Thoughts on the Proco RAT or Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer?

The input jacks on my Boss OS-2 are shit and sometimes cut off my signal completely, need a new distortion/OD pedal. Never was in love with the OS-2 (far too trebly and "thin" sounding on leads) but it was cheap, willing to spend a little more this time. Watched a couple Youtube demos of the aforementioned pedals but everyone keeps playing goddamned Stevie Ray Vaughn blues. I Mainly play 80s/90s alternative rock going between something like The Stone Roses and early Radiohead to the Pixies, Pavement and Guided By Voices. I'll probably be boosting it with a Big Muff Pi also.
The RAT will get you closer to those type of tones, tube screamer is lower gain and better for pushing a slightly over driving amp. You also might wanna check out the MI audio Crunchbox

Aw man just read this whole thread and it's like sheer porn.

I'll post pics tomorrow but as I'm just starting out, don't expect much yet. ;)

T-Matt said:
The RAT will get you closer to those type of tones, tube screamer is lower gain and better for pushing a slightly over driving amp. You also might wanna check out the MI audio Crunchbox

Tried both the RAT and Crunchbox at Geetar Center and went with the RAT, works great. Thanks for the tip

Top Bottom