• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

DieNgamers said:
Fulltone ocd! I heard it in action for a bunch of times, including youtube videos and it seems it's exactly what I want! Awesome! Big, fat and screamy for heavy bluesrock stuff...but still warm and natural sounding without distorting too much. I have a big muff for that and I'm not playing stuff like fast metal anyway. ;D

Has anyone else made good experience with it? :) It's a bit expensive but to me it's head and shoulders above any other overdrive pedals I tried/watched somebody try.
I own one too... I had it on my pedal board for years, but when I bought my Mesa Mark V I pulled it as redundant... I use it with my SFDR now... I'll never sell the thing, as it sounds fantastic and is very flexible... very open, dynamic drive, with lots of breadth... doesn't choke or over-compress your tone...

I picked up a new guitar last week:

se1n25.jpg

PRS SE One Korina (pictured here in front of it's big brother)... It's very light - about 6 lbs. -and so resonant you can feel the vibrations in your fretting hand and belly when you're playing it! The pickup is a great P90 - brash and balsy, but cleans up beautifully when you roll back the volume. I've owned a 90s Gibson Les Paul Studio Gem and a 2007 Les Paul Junior, and this is a better hunk of wood than either of those guitars were... It's really everything a stripped down rock'n'roll guitar should be, and it's a crazy good guitar for the money... The CU25 behind it cost 8 times as much!

None of my local guitar shops sell the OCD! :( Fuuuck! I also wanted to buy a seymore duncan pic-up pack (SH4 and SH2 HJazz or something) but those weren't available either! I emptied my bank account for that shit!

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
swag!!!

2ufy41t.jpg

one of a kind pink jagstang i just picked up. kind of a sister to my mascis purple jazzmaster.

i play through a 65 pro reverb so the basswood issue is pretty irrelevant. just have to handle delicately to prevent bruising

Sweedishrodeo said:
swag!!!

2ufy41t.jpg

one of a kind pink jagstang i just picked up. kind of a sister to my mascis purple jazzmaster.

i play through a 65 pro reverb so the basswood issue is pretty irrelevant. just have to handle delicately to prevent bruising
I love the sound of basswood - such an open, breathy, resonant wood... I never understood why so many people dis it for Alder or Poplar, as I prefer it to both...

Fusebox

Banned
Co-signed, I love the tonal characteristics of my basswood RG550 even when it's unplugged, and if it's good enough for Satch and Vai it's good enough for me.

Feorax

14jca3o.jpg

From left to right:

Vox AC30CC1: Beautiful tube amp. Amazing cleans, but doesn't have too much bite on the drive. Will have to get a treble-booster when I get some money to get that classic Queen Sound.

Yamaha RBX375: Nice little 5 string bass. Haven't got a working amp at the moment though. Scale doesn't quite work for the B string, but nice nontheless. Always good to have the option.

Zoom G1 Pedal: Not amazing, but a nice little range of effects.

Fender Stratocaster, 60th Anniversary (Made in Mexico): My main guitar. Looks, sounds and plays fantastic. Going to change the volume/tone knobs soon, as the grip to the pots has worn away. Probably just get some plain silver ones like you'd find on an Ibanez/Jackson/ESP guitar.

Boss BR-532 Digital Studio: Had this thing for almost 5 years, can barely use 1/4 of the features of it. Got it for about £30 second hand, so can't complain.

Fender Showmaster: Beast of a guitar. Stock Seymour-Duncan humbuckers pack a punch, and locking tuners mean I can abust the whammy if I want and not need to worry I have'nt got a locking trem. Only ever seen 1 other than mine, so I guess they're quite an unusual model.

LProtag

Huh, I just realized I don't have any pictures of my setup in full. I suppose I'll have to take one when I'm home sometime.

My next amp purchase is between these 3...Guitar Gaf, help me choose

Fender Super Sonic (22 Watt)

FenderSuperSonic22__98448_zoom.jpg

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue

deluxe_reverb.jpg

Fender Princeton Recording Amp

fen-princeton-recording-amp.jpg

LProtag

I assume you're not planning on using this new amp purchase for gigging.

Honestly, finding a vintage fender reverb anything is well worth it. You can snag one for around 600-800 that's better than the reissues and easier to fix if anything goes wrong. You just have to check up on dates and serials and figure out which amps are the 'good ones', and hopefully try and get a deal on one.

Got an advance birthday present from my girl. She took me to the store and asked me to buy anything under $700.

Got myself these:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio - Gothic Black
Guitar case for Les Paul
Digitech SP255 Multi-effects Processor
3 piece Hohner Harmonica Set (C, D and G keys)

Sounds so fucking great!! Will posts pics when I get home but here is the audio! :D :D

http://soundcloud.com/shagg187/gothic-black

Digitech PS255 is so fucking brilliant! It's the most complete effects processor I've seen. Bought it for a friend a couple of months ago and couldn't resist getting it for myself!

EDIT: OMG Just realized that Trent Reznor uses this guitar when performing live! :O :O

ktiNS.jpg

I have the ocd overdrive now and I couldn't be happier! It's so versatile! I can get a fat tone or just a clean one for rythm and a thousand tones inbetween! I'll try to make a photo of my stuff next week.

Just when I think I have the mother set-up this pedal comes along

Empress Multidrive

multidrive-600.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3x11JX7tE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvHI4t15VtY

The idea of blending amps together has been a studio trick used on countless recordings over the years. Being able to blend the stregths of certain amplifiers and have other amps fill in the weaknesses produces a richer, better balanced sound. Up until now, the only way to repoduce this live was to haul a few amps around with you on the road. After a few gigs of doing that, a lot of players end up compromising tone for the ease of carrying 1 amp around with them. This is where the multidrive shines.

The multidrive allows you to blend Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz together, creating a full and rich array of tones that would not be available otherwise. Let the sustain of fuzz, the bite of distortion and the clarity and note definition of overdrive all work together! Do what would normally take 3 amps in a 4x3" box.

This might replace my OCD!!!!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Any good recommendations for an acoustic guitar? Around ~$200 or so?

reilo

vas_a_morir said:
Yamaha does cheap good, IMO.
Medalion said:
Yamaha F-310 can't steer ya wrong, my first acoustic and guitar ever
Thanks for the quick replies! Any of the F-Series I imagine within my price range should do the trick?

Medalion

Banned
F-310 has been proven to be one of the better sounding guitars of its price range, sounds almost as good as a guitar a hundred or more dollars higher. It's the dreadnought warm loud bass sound that gets ya good

reilo

Medalion said:
F-310 has been proven to be one of the better sounding guitars of its price range, sounds almost as good as a guitar a hundred or more dollars higher. It's the dreadnought warm loud bass sound that gets ya good
It looks like they don't make that model any more. What's the "replacement" version of it? I see Yamaha's website lists the F325.

EDIT: I keep seeing the F335 online.

reilo

Medalion said:
Where are you seeing they have discontinued F-310?

I saw the same guitar on Yamaha's site
Amazon only lists it for used and doesn't have any for new available. Guitar Center doesn't list it either. Yamaha's website doesn't even list that model number. The only available model I can find is the F335.

Medalion

Banned
But then again I used the Canada version of the site, it may still exist in Canada but not in america, well sure if you can find a similar F-series guitar in the same range you'd be ok

reilo

Picked up the Yamaha F-325 today for $149. Also dropped off my Ibanez RG to get new strings, cleaned up and tuned up.

reilo

Medalion said:
Any chance we can hear a demo of you playing it? Curious how it sounds compared to a F-310
Don't really have any recording equipment for acoustic stuff. Plus, I'm not all that good, or at least I don't play enough to be good.

That's part of the reason I bought the acoustic is because I'm going to get lessons from someone I know and start anew and try to learn properly instead of taking myself through online tutorials -- as great as those are. There's just some fundamental things I haven't gotten a grasp on. I'm fine with technique and technical aspect of things, but I need it to "click" for me and I think with time and proper learning/practice it will.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Sweedishrodeo said:
swag!!!

2ufy41t.jpg

beautiful, goes well with your shirt too.

LProtag

I only have pictures of my guitar on me.

XaLJA.jpg

Crappy picture, I know, but it's one of the few where you can see the guitar. Japanese Jazzmaster, nothing really special about it. Imported it right before they stopped allowing Japanese Fender imports to the US so easily and way before the Mexican Jazzmasters were announced.

I might change the pickups on it one day, but I don't really think I'll ever need another guitar, unless I saved up for a vintage Jazzmaster...

Nekofrog

Banned
So tomorrow, after months of waiting, my custom Carvin DC727 will arrive. It's going to be the best day of my life. Yes, better than the day I got married.

LProtag

In retrospect, after making that post and considering what I've said, I lied, I could use a lot more guitars.

Especially some Mustangs. With competition stripes maybe. Or any other offset body guitar. Though really, I don't know why I play a Jazzmaster, I have smaller hands and it's a longer scale. I guess I like making things harder for myself.

Medalion

Banned
If you can make a piece of shit guitar sound good, yer golden when ya make the leap to a better crafted more expensive guitar

InsertNameHere said:
I only have pictures of my guitar on me.

XaLJA.jpg

Crappy picture, I know, but it's one of the few where you can see the guitar. Japanese Jazzmaster, nothing really special about it. Imported it right before they stopped allowing Japanese Fender imports to the US so easily and way before the Mexican Jazzmasters were announced.

I might change the pickups on it one day, but I don't really think I'll ever need another guitar, unless I saved up for a vintage Jazzmaster...

Nice. I love Jags and Jazzmasters. Awesome Tigers too.

I think I posted my guitars in this thread before a long ass time ago, but in case I didn't:

394669589_9df3f5d0c4_z.jpg

Italia Mondial on the left, and Duesenberg Silver Sparkle Starplayer Special on the right.

LProtag

I've also got a Jaguar Baritone Custom at home, which was basically the 800 dollar version of the Bass VI. Never have gotten a chance to use it to play with anyone. It can hold its own as a bass, but I'm really interested to see how it would work alongside a bass and a guitar.

Nekofrog

Banned
My brand new custom Carvin DC727 just came. I was worried about the color combo I chose, since no one else has done it yet, but it turned out BEAUTIFUL.

20110310144731272.jpg

20110310144739516.jpg

20110310144755610.jpg

20110310144812142.jpg

20110310145135589.jpg

Mahogany body, maple neck, came with coil/phase splitters even though I didn't order it, so, bonus? This thing just smokes anything I've played before it.

Nekofrog said:
My brand new custom Carvin DC727 just came. I was worried about the color combo I chose, since no one else has done it yet, but it turned out BEAUTIFUL.

*Carvin pics*

Mahogany body, maple neck, came with coil/phase splitters even though I didn't order it, so, bonus? This thing just smokes anything I've played before it.

That looks awesome. I've always wanted to get a custom carvin, but never felt like ditching the dough. :)

Thanks for your service btw!

-Eddman-

Great video Nekofrog! the guitar looks a lot better in motion.

Well, I finally took some pics of all my stuff. Nothing compared to the expensive things you guys have, but you gotta start with something:

R7PAb.jpg
KYrEM.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Goth): My first electric guitar. I was going to buy a red one, but the store sold it before I could get the money. Love it, I want a Gibson in the same color if I have the money in the near future.

tzfVZ.jpg
s3hT8.jpg

Yamaha Pacifica (Pac012): I wanted a cheap, versatile guitar for rehearsals and this one delivers. In my opinion, better than the Squier strats. Totally recommended for beginners.

rtSb7.jpg

Cheap mexican acoustic (the brand is JOM, I think): Old birthday present from my dad; it actually sounds great for the price after you replace the strings. They're around $300-400 pesos ($30 something dollars), if I remember correctly.

ZOxnE.jpg

atbKv.jpg

Boss DS-1 Distortion and Electro Harmonix Small Clone: My pedals. Great combo for Alternative/Hard Rock, my favorite genres to play. I still want a Carbon Copy delay and the Fulltone OCD.

Lb2lN.jpg

Fender Frontman 25R: Good practice amp, but not my favorite. It's very loud and almost perfect for a clean sound; the reverb is by far the best in the price range. Sadly, it sounds awful with distortion, either its own overdrive or any pedal. Maybe you guys can help me, can I get a better sound if I replace the stock speaker (10")?

ExW0Q.jpg

VOX Pathfinder 15R: An absolute beauty. The best practice amp available, in my experience. You can go from pristine cleans to Slash-like bluesy tones without problem. Thanks to this experience, I want the big brother, the AC30 so badly.

reilo

Nekofrog said:
I recorded a video demoing my new Carvin 7 string and included a sample for FF3/6's boss theme off of my upcoming Final Fantasy album. You can get a better idea of how the guitar actually looks in the video due to the lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfYzP0Ej0A
That's really awesome advice about putting the foam behind the strings. Great vid!

deim0s

Caught the guitar bug in 10 years, slowly building up technique and speed. So I bought a Hamer XT (explorer) and a cheap Jackson Kelly (I just learned that they're made from India now).

Thinking about those Roland Cube 20 XL's as a practise amp, any thoughts Guitar GAF? Since my old-ish MG50FX is too loud for the family and neighbors.

Mistle

deim0s said:
Thinking about those Roland Cube 20 XL's as a practise amp, any thoughts Guitar GAF? Since my old-ish MG50FX is too loud for the family and neighbors.
I've never heard one myself, but I've heard good things about them. Apparently they can crank out a pretty good tone for what they are :D

Any in a local store you can try out?

So I'm thinking of getting an acoustic electric guitar and I'm welling to spend something around $200. Please recommend me a brand/specific guitar :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
DesertEater said:
So I'm thinking of getting an acoustic electric guitar and I'm welling to spend something around $200. Please recommend me a brand/specific guitar :)
If you're willing to put a little more in, Ovation guitars are absolutely FANTASTIC. If you think you can go as far as $300, I'd go for a Celebrity center hole. The tone is warm and mellow, the construction is great, and that powered EQ and pickup is a GREAT electric element.

DesertEater said:

I also recommend saving up just a bit more and get something that's better than entry level. You want to grow into your guitar and models above $400 have better build quality which will have a positive effect on playability.

Top Bottom