• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Rubixcuba

Banned
My current setup:
1993 Fender Jaguar HH
Orange Crush 30R
BOSS DS1
Pretty Dolly Delay by some brand called Moen, its actually pretty awesome.
73419_175189509157973_100000007768263_641904_5763219_n.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Delightful Oonsk said:
Nice dude, good to see it looks as advertised. What style of music do you play, out of curiosity?

[awesome zebra topped S pic]

Heya mate, at the risk of sounding cliched, I play a bit of everything these days. I might come home and warm up with a blues jam, maybe run through some classical exercises and then do some metal riffing and then maybe finish off with some weird experimental effecty stuff toward the end when I'm nice and stoned. I just try and catch different vibes off different guitars and pedals, although I'll play a mix of everything on the Ibanez's, when I play my strat it's mostly blues and if I play my Gibson V it's mostly classic metal.

What style/s do you play?

That's a sweet looking S series you just scored btw! How do you like the ZR trem on it? I'm a big fan of the ZR, its more stable than the Floyds, but it is harder to do some tricks like fluttering.

I've got a ZR on my S320, but my RG3120, RG550 and 540S all have Floyd Rose Lo-Pro Edge which is my favourite trem.

5368503448_b81b32c297_m.jpg

And thanks T-Matt, I agree.

Simon Belmont said:
I think I just bought a Mesa Boogie Mark V 1x12 combo...

I hope you like it :) I bought a Mark IV 1x12 combo 1.5 years ago, and haven't regret it once. Even when the original Celestion (Classic Lead?) speaker blew up... I just replaced it with an Eminence Texas Heat and it was better than before.

rObit

Banned
Fusebox said:
Heya mate, at the risk of sounding cliched, I play a bit of everything these days. I might come home and warm up with a blues jam, maybe run through some classical exercises and then do some metal riffing and then maybe finish off with some weird experimental effecty stuff toward the end when I'm nice and stoned. I just try and catch different vibes off different guitars and pedals, although I'll play a mix of everything on the Ibanez's, when I play my strat it's mostly blues and if I play my Gibson V it's mostly classic metal.

What style/s do you play?

That's a sweet looking S series you just scored btw! How do you like the ZR trem on it? I'm a big fan of the ZR, its more stable than the Floyds, but it is harder to do some tricks like fluttering.

I've got a ZR on my S320, but my RG3120, RG550 and 540S all have Floyd Rose Lo-Pro Edge which is my favourite trem.

And thanks T-Matt, I agree.

I mostly play metal and hard rock, with some alt rock mixed in there sometimes. I know most guitarists that I look at as inspirational or that I would like to be like have roots in blues or jazz but I've never been able to get into either of them. I really have no idea why but I've never had any feeling of wanting to go back and re-listen to blues music. I feel I should because I know a lot of different skills can be picked up from getting to know blues music. Do you have any recommendations for blues music to get me into the genre? I know pretty much nothing about the genre so I don't even know where to start.

I'm liking the ZR just fine so far. I don't really do any tricks with trems so for me the difference is negligible between that and the Floyd Rose on my Jackson. Right now I'd have to lean towards the Floyd Rose, but I haven't really spent enough time with the ZR yet to judge that fairly.

Blues greats: Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Allman Bros(Duane), Derek Trucks, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, etc etc

If you're looking for something more modern and sort of hard rock blues rather than the classics per say, check out The Black Keys's albums thickfreakness, Magic Potion, and Brothers. Might help you ease your way into the blues.

I've only recently gotten into the blues thanks to a local college station's blues show, so I'm sure someone else is much more knowledgeable than I.

White Man

Anyone use a baritone? I am curious but I haven't come across one in a couple weeks of casual lookin'.

I use a Classic Player Jaguar HH right now. I thought I'd get used to or even learn to like short scale, but it ain't happening. My fingers are too obese. And the nut and saddle indicate that you should be using higher gauge strings but thicker strings on short frets cause mad mad buzz. I was told to hunt down a mustang bridge if I wanted to ease some of my pain. The trem is also kinda just for show. When you try to use the tremolo it seem's like there is a 50% chance of strings going entirely out of tune.

White Man said:
Anyone use a baritone? I am curious but I haven't come across one in a couple weeks of casual lookin'.

I use a Classic Player Jaguar HH right now. I thought I'd get used to or even learn to like short scale, but it ain't happening. My fingers are too obese. And the nut and saddle indicate that you should be using higher gauge strings but thicker strings on short frets cause mad mad buzz. I was told to hunt down a mustang bridge if I wanted to ease some of my pain. The trem is also kinda just for show. When you try to use the tremolo it seem's like there is a 50% chance of strings going entirely out of tune.

Not a true Barritone but check out the Schecter Hellcat VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01JC7y_NvWo

White Man said:

I had a Gretsch Electromatic Baritone. I could barely play guitar when I got it so I was unaware you had to detune them, I just played it in standard E. It was made in China so it wasn't very well-built or comfortable to play. To me they're not that practical for regular playing, the strings are ridiculously heavy making chords a little tough to play but lead stuff sounds great. Mine sounded really shitty when played clean but it was a beast with distortion.

flyover

Rubixcuba said:
My current setup:
1993 Fender Jaguar HH
Orange Crush 30R
BOSS DS1
Pretty Dolly Delay by some brand called Moen, its actually pretty awesome.
The early-to-mid-90s Jaguars are amazing. Good for you for hanging onto yours. (Mine was stolen after a show in Spartanburg, SC. Stupid Spartanburg.)

Rubixcuba

Banned
flyover said:
The early-to-mid-90s Jaguars are amazing. Good for you for hanging onto yours. (Mine was stolen after a show in Spartanburg, SC. Stupid Spartanburg.)
It's easily the best guitar I've played, I'm getting some insane buzz from it lately though :(
Also I'm sorry to hear that, I was lucky to get mine off eBay for $870ish AUD.

White Man

Red Blaster said:
I had a Gretsch Electromatic Baritone. I could barely play guitar when I got it so I was unaware you had to detune them, I just played it in standard E. It was made in China so it wasn't very well-built or comfortable to play. To me they're not that practical for regular playing, the strings are ridiculously heavy making chords a little tough to play but lead stuff sounds great. Mine sounded really shitty when played clean but it was a beast with distortion.

Looks like my local guitar center has a couple used bariton's for 150-300 bucks. Probably shit but I could sate my curiosity.

Despite sounding different, I think I'm trading up for a Jazzmaster. The Jaguar is sweet but the short scale makes it rough to improve precision. If I wanted to play fast chords, it would be perfect. There's also a hot looking Mustang reissue at my local joint, but I think those are shorties too.

Are those the ones punk bands used during those years because they were crazy cheap. And then they got popular and expensive :(

White Man said:
Looks like my local guitar center has a couple used bariton's for 150-300 bucks. Probably shit but I could sate my curiosity. (

Ibanez RGD320 is not quite a bariton (26,5" scale), but maybe it's worth to try it out. It has a shitty Edge 3 bridge, but other than that it felt pretty nice when I tried it at a shop.

Just a small of update of my current rig

Main Guitar:

1970 Gibson Les Paul Standard

xmtzf9.jpg

VHT Pitbull and Mesa 2x12 (sometimes I run the lexicon Mpx G2 for FX)
6fwnlg.jpg

my newly acquired Axe Fx Standard (was also posted on the pick-ups thread)
2s8hh5z.jpg

Other guitars I use is an ESP strat, RG3120 Prestige, and a Nuno N4....but too lazy to take more pics right now. But I am too in love with how my Gibson sounds...so those guitars are getting less and less used each day.

Pilgor

Nice Axe-FX, I totally want one.

I bought an iRig!

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my gear buying days are done, I can't imagine what else I need. Want is another story.

What do you guys think of multitrack recorders for guitars and the effects they come with?

Like a Boss BR 600? I was kind of thinking about the Boss Micro BR4 too.

Damaged

Dark Octave said:
What do you guys think of multitrack recorders for guitars and the effects they come with?

Like a Boss BR 600? I was kind of thinking about the Boss Micro BR4 too.

Would be interested to know this as well, im still using an old tascam 424 tape 4 track lol

ok, i'm in the market for new amp. Got my tiny vox for some bedroom level tones but i need something in the 30 watt (max) range. Looking for an all tube amp no more than $1k.

Any suggestions based on your current gear set?

I don't play metal btw.

monchi-kun said:
ok, i'm in the market for new amp. Got my tiny vox for some bedroom level tones but i need something in the 30 watt (max) range. Looking for an all tube amp no more than $1k.

I don't play metal btw.

Roland Cube. I have the 30, and it's freakin' LOUD when you need it to be, and the cleaner tones are really nice. YouTube it. There's tons of vids...

sparky2112 said:
Roland Cube. I have the 30, and it's freakin' LOUD when you need it to be, and the cleaner tones are really nice. YouTube it. There's tons of vids...

Only it's not tube, and doesn't sound as good as more expensive amps. It's pretty good for home use. But it's difficult to recommend amps without knowing the music genre, and sound preferences etc.

monchi-kun said:

I don't play metal btw.

Check out Egnater Rebel or the Tweaker.....tube amp and not too expensive.

ErnieMcCracken said:
From another forum I frequent the owners are posting that their store is going out of business and are selling everything this weekend (economy crushed them):

http://www.gguitars.com

They have posted on Craigslist (Newhaven, CT - they will ship also):
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/msg/2191501401.html

Maybe you guys can score a nice deal.

Wow... They even had Duesenberg stock at one point. I'm pretty curious about the Senior 52 Gold Top even if I have already have a Starplayer Special, wonder how much it's going for...

ErnieMcCracken said:
From another forum I frequent the owners are posting that their store is going out of business and are selling everything this weekend (economy crushed them):

http://www.gguitars.com

They have posted on Craigslist (Newhaven, CT - they will ship also):
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/msg/2191501401.html

Maybe you guys can score a nice deal.
That Alembic on their homepage is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen...

Previously posted in the Feb Pick Up thread but thought they deserved mention here, a new "ultra lite" rig for quick pick up'n'go ops:

Mesa TA-15
ta15.jpg

and a Pedaltrain Mini with a few new pedals
ptmini1.jpg

Everything on the board is a new purchase excepting the Soul Preacher and the Budda Wah... In fact, except for my Full-Drive 2, that Wah may be the oldest pedal I'm still using...

The TransAtlantic sounds fantastic! Trust Mesa to come up with the idea of a two channel, 5 mode lunchbox head! I used it for rehearsal with both bands last week - once through my Leyland custom 2x10" and once through my Saxon custom slant 1x12" - and it performed flawlessly... plenty loud enough for stage volume, small gigs, practice... and at only something like 7 lbs., it weighs about the same as the mini pedal board (maybe less!)... Pretty cool portable rig for not too many bones...

Fusebox

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
NYC

Rudy's music

http://www.mannysmusic.com/

Manny's has been SamAsh for a while a now and my brother tells my they recently changed the sign to say SamAsh to make it official I guess.
Just went to both of these today, and also Matt Umanov guitars. Had some cash to drop but nothing was jumping off the shelves at me - well, nothing that I could afford anyway.

Edit: just went to 30th street guitars too, lots of second hand gems but all the affordable stuff was usually badly modified from the original.

Fwiw Sam Ash seemed to have the best service, prices and range of the three stores.

Btw, Orange Dual Terror monchi!!

monchi-kun said:

I don't play metal btw.
I heard a lot of good talk about the Peavey 30 Classic. It's a tube amp, but I think you can only find it used. Cheap though, $300-$500.

Can you get some good cleans from the Dual Terror? I'm hitting that "age" when i'm starting to enjoy and appreciate a non-distorted a clean tone, like fine wine :D

Fusebox

Banned
I get a terrific clean tone with my Tiny, and the Dual has an extra 15w of headroom so it should be even better again. It's a warm clean tone, there no confusing it for a bright Fender amp but it sounds lovely in it's own right, and has more character (IMO) then say, the cleans in the Blackstar HT low watt range for example. It goes equally great with a bunch of pedals in front of it too.

I'm interested in the low watt Egnater amps as well like the Tweaker and Rebel but haven't had a chance to demo them yet.

CFMOORE!

quick amp question. My Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100 recently stopped working and I for the life of me can't figure out why. I called an amp shop and the guy said 9/10 it's the power tubes so I figure I'll start with swapping them out. Here's the question, the tube I pulled out is an "EL34B-STR" with a rating of 4, according the the H&K website I don't need to rebias the amp so long as I get tubes with the same rating. Looking online I see lots of EL34 tubes such as an EL34M, EL34R, etc. Can I use one of these without rebiasing so long as it's the same rating. Though a follow-up question would be in regards to the rating, I see the tubes come as "low, high, medium" or "hard, medium, soft", which one of these is like a "4" rating?

Thanks for any advice.

CFMOORE! said:
quick amp question. My Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100 recently stopped working and I for the life of me can't figure out why. I called an amp shop and the guy said 9/10 it's the power tubes so I figure I'll start with swapping them out. Here's the question, the tube I pulled out is an "EL34B-STR" with a rating of 4, according the the H&K website I don't need to rebias the amp so long as I get tubes with the same rating. Looking online I see lots of EL34 tubes such as an EL34M, EL34R, etc. Can I use one of these without rebiasing so long as it's the same rating. Though a follow-up question would be in regards to the rating, I see the tubes come as "low, high, medium" or "hard, medium, soft", which one of these is like a "4" rating?

Thanks for any advice.

email bob at eurotubes....he can probably tell you what you need

http://www.eurotubes.com/

Jeramii

Banned
i don't play anymore. but at my parents house i have all my old gear..

1972 Fender Mustang (original)
Hofner Sienna Series acoustic
2001 Fender Stratocaster
and (i forget what year) Stratocoustic

as for my amp i had a fender 67 bronco amplifier... but i had to take it in for electrical repairs and the fuckers "accidentally" lost it.

so i replaced it with some shitty fender amp that was around $600ish. (i'm not a fender fanboy... most of the stuff i inherited, or got a great deal on).

-Eddman-

Jeramii said:
i don't play anymore. but at my parents house i have all my old gear..

1972 Fender Mustang (original)

Oh, great! Can you post some pics sometime in the future? I'm a big Mustang fanboy and I love to see the old ones.

I got a PODXT Live use and I'm not sure if I've got some of the settings right.

I have it plugged into my Vox 15 VT but the volume isn't there.

Jeramii

Banned
-Eddman- said:
Oh, great! Can you post some pics sometime in the future? I'm a big Mustang fanboy and I love to see the old ones.

best pics i have on my computer right now...

1z5j81j.jpg

i only visit my parents once every 6 or more months. last time i went was christmas. so i doubt i'll be going anytime soon. but if i do i'll try to remember to get some shots or bring it to my current place.

this guitar is beautiful and sounds excellent.
also really fucking heavy

Pilgor

I just picked up a Baby Sitar at a killer price! This thing seriously rocks, so damn cool.

I'll post pictures soon.

Pilgor said:
I just picked up a Baby Sitar at a killer price! This thing seriously rocks, so damn cool.

I'll post pictures soon.
Alt intruments are cool! I picked up an Epi Mandobird a few years back so we could play Battle of Evermore and Losing My Religion and Copperhead Road, and it started a trend! Everybody's picked up an alternate thing to play since... makes for a crowded stage but interesting shows...

Fusebox

Banned
Just bought a Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute from guitar center in Las Vegas in satin worn white..

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...l/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

I would have preferred the gold top but theyre sold out and the white/cream looks unique, much better in real life than the pics on the website, I love it. More importantly it feels and sounds amazing. First LP Ive ever played that hasn't felt awkward to me because it has the thinner neck, rounder fret radius and satin neck finish. Thick painted necks are my nemesis.

Pics when I get I back to Australia.

Xun

Fusebox said:
Just bought a Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute from guitar center in Las Vegas in satin worn white..

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...l/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

I would have preferred the gold top but theyre sold out and the white/cream looks unique, much better in real life than the pics on the website, I love it. More importantly it feels and sounds amazing. First LP Ive ever played that hasn't felt awkward to me because it has the thinner neck, rounder fret radius and satin neck finish. Thick painted necks are my nemesis.

Pics when I get I back to Australia.
I've never liked the gold top to be honest, I think the white looks beautiful!

I bet it'll turn more heads than the gold top.

So I think today I'm going to buy one of these little overdrive things:

(not my pic)
Review-Fulltone-OCD.jpg

Fulltone ocd! I heard it in action for a bunch of times, including youtube videos and it seems it's exactly what I want! Awesome! Big, fat and screamy for heavy bluesrock stuff...but still warm and natural sounding without distorting too much. I have a big muff for that and I'm not playing stuff like fast metal anyway. ;D

Has anyone else made good experience with it? :) It's a bit expensive but to me it's head and shoulders above any other overdrive pedals I tried/watched somebody try.

I've got one of those :) OCD sounds great, even if not as good as my Mesa Mark IV. But of course it's quite a lot cheaper. I have been using it mostly with higher gain settings, but it also sounds good with lower settings. The sound is a lot more dynamic than what you usually get with OD/distortion pedals, so you can control the amount of distortion you get by how hard you hit the strings. It's definitely the best OD/distortion pedal I have ever used...

Top Bottom