• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

oc95r.png

Just point the way out of town,
and I'll keep right on goin.'

azv7B.png

Murphy Pendleton has been incarcerated for several years, having had his sentence extended once already.
Due to his history at Ryall State Prison, he is being transferred to nearby Wayside Maximum Security
Penitentiary-but a freak accident cuts the journey short. Waking up in a forest next to the wrecked bus,
Murphy has a clear shot at freedom. He makes his way into the sleepy town of Silent Hill where mysterious
locals welcome him into a slowly developing personal hell.

NTNG1.jpg

Silent Hill Downpour is the latest Silent Hill game offering the familiar Survival Horror gameplay delivered
in the most defined visual quality to date. The game also expands on the exploration theme of the franchise
both design-wise and through psychological torture, ambient story, horrific enemies and self-evaluative
questions of despair.

H4UW2.jpg

March 13 | Playstation 3 & Xbox 360 | Survival Horror | Vatra Games | published by Konami

1b9J8.png

Silent Hill Downpour carries the tradition of simple and to the point adventure-based gameplay. The
designers have went on record stating that their aim was to not make another Homecoming, in that
there will be no focus on gunplay or combos although there will be guns and other weapons akin to
all the past installments. They are trying to, however, refine the combat so that when the player decides
to engage in combat, it hopefully won't be as frustrating as it has been in the past. There are also
chasing sequences similar to those found in Shattered Memories, though they will not be focused on
as a central gameplay element. Weapons are breakable, which is never good but hopefully it's been
implemented better than in Origins and Silent Hill 4.

0WKp2.jpg

gMnWI.png

Rain will play multiple roles in Downpour. During gameplay, the rain's intensity will fluctuate. The lighter
the rainfall, the less danger Murphy is in. Concurrently, as the rain intensifies, Murphy will run into more
enemies. It is advised that when the rain starts coming down, to seek shelter. It is also expected that,
in typical Silent Hill fashion, that rain will somehow factor in to Murphy's past and provide some sort of
catalyst to his character.

Q1aw4.png

LhzPG.png

The Silent Hill franchise has been known to borrow inspiration from artists and other works in order to best
bring its story, symbolism, and characters to life in the most interesting, bizarre, and disturbing
ways imaginable. Silent Hill Downpour is no different, as creative director Brian Gomez describes--
very interestingly-- at a conference, that Silent Hill Downpour is like "M.C. Escher's wet dream meets
Franz Kafka." This should allow for the game to adopt its own visual identity without deliberately trying to
copy Team Silent's art style.

Works by M.C. Escher:

BNaH2.png

It has been revealed that Downpour will be the first Silent Hill title to include sidequests. While little
information is known about what they will consist of, the developers have stated that they simply
exist to give players optional quests to do outside of the main storyline and that these sidequests
will provide new details and insights into the town of Silent Hill, and even perhaps shed some light
on Murphy.

svI2w.png

meet the composer | meet the writer | screens | in motion (video) | reviews

ilk4y.png

OMKjs.jpg

Best known for his work on the hit TV series "Dexter," Daniel Licht has been tapped to compose
the original score for the game. While many fans are disheartened that veteran Silent Hill composer
and sound designer Akira Yamaoka will not be returning for Silent Hill Downpour, Mr. Licht is more
than up to the challenge and has provided a unique, spooky, thematic score of his own. Based on
the music that has been heard so far we can expect plenty of nods to Yamaoka's style.

Korn has also provided the theme song. Give it a listen below.

The first thing that came to mind when I first listened to the track "Jump Monster" was the music from
Suspiria along with some other Argento films. Whether or not Licht borrowed inspiration from Goblin's
work, the emphasis on frantic, wild percussion is evident in both tracks. Either way, it is reminiscent of
Italian horror film scores, and that's never a bad thing.

7f9C0.png

Without a story there'd be no game. Silent Hill Downpour was written by Silent Hill comic author Tom Waltz.
The Silent Hill games work largely in part due to their intricate, disturbing, and sometimes surprisingly
emotional stories. Players typically go in expecting to get their pants scared off them, but just as typically
come out surprised and slack-jawed by a fantastic twist, emotional elements, and sometimes both.
His work includes Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward and Silent Hill: Past Life.

RhPJl.jpg

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward | When hitman Jack “The Pup” Stanton runs away with his mob boss’s wife,
he thinks he’s finally put his murderous past behind him. Instead, Jack and his lover take a wrong turn into
Silent Hill and quickly learn that some sins are impossible to escape.

Silent Hill: Past Life | The story chronicles events going back to 1867 and features a criminal gunslinger
called Jebediah “Hellrider” Foster and a woman called Esther Monroe.

8WGWW.jpg

bLCgy.png

Konami has released some of the worst screenshots of this game that they possibly could have over the
last year and a half. However, I have attempted to hand-pick some of the "better" screens out there. If
they don't do much for you, don't worry, you're not alone. The videos do the title a bit more justice.

w6Oyr.png

Watch the E3 2011 trailer, as well as a 40+ minute gameplay demonstration that covers up to a bit
beyond the initial otherworld sequence.

vOr28.png

GAF impressions

Dusk Golem's impressions

Ahasverus' impressions

cY02m.png

creative director: Brian Gomez | producers: Tomm Hulett, Devin Shatsky

Silent Hill Downpour was developed at Vatra Studios situated in the town of Brno, Czech Republic.
The creative/design director is Brian Gomez, with Tomm Hulett and Devin Shatsky producing/damage
controlling.

A very special thanks to these guys for helping keep the Silent Hill franchise going!

bxc7D.png

Amir0x

Banned
cant wait to play a real Silent Hill game again after that Shattered Memories abomination. I'm still not completely sold on it (or maybe more accurately I'm just unsure as to this developers pedigree and respect for what makes SH games good), but from what I've seen it definitely has the best potential to be a legitimately decent SH game since the Room at least

cant wait to play a real Silent Hill game again after that Shattered Memories abomination. I'm still not completely sold on it (or maybe more accurately I'm just unsure as to this developers pedigree and respect for what makes SH games good), but from what I've seen it definitely has the best potential to be a legitimately decent SH game since the Room at least

I thought Shattered Memories was great! Really enjoyed how tense it was and the "twist" as well. What didn't you like about it?

Amir0x

Banned
guys i know there is a small yet vocal hardcore fanbase for that shit game, I wasn't actually inviting massive neck-wringing over my own personal opinion on it. I was just commenting that I am happy we have a real Silent Hill game that has the possibility to not be shit again. I've deconstructed Memories in another topic about that game before, so can we not get hung up on one incidental line again and then blame me for ruining this thread like always?

10 more days, yay!

I know this one will bw good, I enjoyed Homecoming and I will enjoy this for sure.

God it has been 3 years and a half.. Such a long time :(

Amir0x

Banned
let's get wet is the worst tagline for any horror game ever in history

sounds like the tagline of a girls gone wild competition or some shit lol

"Let's Get Wet"
Remember when you could make the argument that Silent Hill was the pinnacle of survival horror gaming? It's now the gaming equivalent of the Saw series apparently...

That ad makes me cringe.

Still not sure what to think of this game. Some things looks really promising and the soundtrack so far sounds fantastic (excluding korn shit of course). Also kind of seems like the game is a bit over ambitious though and tries too much (side missions, open world...) but maybe they can pull it off. Creature design so far looks crap and the game looks incredible annoying at trying to guide you (glowing object, button prompts everywhere).

Hopefully it ends up being great, I really hope it does, the story so far sounds interesting and the atmosphere seems to be genuinely creepy in some videos. Now get on advertising the game, Konami marketing department, you incompetent fools.

Grisby

Excited to play. Homecoming was great and I hope Downpour tops it. Gonna try and wedge it in between epic ME playing.

Looking forward to the rain parts and soundtrack baby.

anyone think there could be water-based enemies in this game? (beasts made of water etc).....it would be cool if they can brought out the fear theme using water in Downpour...

Teknoman

Please be good. Resident Evil did great water based survival horror, heres hoping Downpour can double that. Also please have lots of moldy environments with ambient water dripping noises.

KorrZ

Pretty excited for this.. hope it actually turns out good. I liked how that 40 min gameplay looked, and if that was back in September, hopefully all those extra months means it's going to be nice and polished.

Shattered Memories was an incredible game, so I feel I have sunstantial reason to be so majorly hyped for Downpour. It's not being made by the same team, but you still have that key influence from Hulett and Shatsky being carried over. And frankly, judging by the footage they do both look like they play similarly, even in the little things, like the way Murphy interacts with the environment, or the door opening mechanic when entering a room. To top it off, the game is far more ambitious in scope, features a free-roam town to get lost in, optional side-quests, just the right emphasis on combat/exploration... yeah I'm sold.

And what I've heard of Licht's score sounds amazing. 'Railcar Ride' and 'Cablehouse Blues' <3

Please be good. Resident Evil did great water based survival horror, heres hoping Downpour can double that.

It did? Which game? Only epic water moments I can think of are the sharks and the lake monster.

Here's hoping the game is good. I'm a sucker for the oppressive atmosphere of an unrelenting rainy season like in Se7en and Heavy Rain. If this game pulls that off I'm there day one.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Would post here considering I'm a big fan of the series, but Amirox got here first, crapped the thread up with OT opinions, so ill express my enthusiasm (yah SH! Hope it's half as good as the last one!) and return once I put some time into it.

(though I've already played it twice. And Im hoooooooping its better than the last two times I had hands on)

Varshes

Kudos for the Goblin reference in the OP! I'm doing my usual SH ritual with Downpour, buying both versions and the soundtrack. Going to be an interesting week.

This is the first game in the series I'm not rushing out and buying on day one. I just have no faith left with the way they keep passing the license around like a hot potato.

I wasn't impressed at all with Homecoming. I loved Shattered Memories (cough), and this is being made by a different team altogether? Redboxing this bitch.

But good OT!

FootballFan

I am not too occupied with the game graphics, i just hope it delivers an experience similar or better than Silent Hill 1 at least.

Tookay

I love Shattered Memories. I agree that its aspects of its gameplay were weak, but as an experience, it was memorable. I hope that this game can continue getting this series back on track.

It did? Which game? Only epic water moments I can think of are the sharks and the lake monster.

Revelations.

JEKKI

ahh lol I remember I pre-ordered this from amazin!

unfortunately I cant remember for which system lol.

it'll be a surprise when it comes!!!

I'll play this eventually, but finding it hard to get that excited for it. I think being hyped and then burned by the last one on PS3/360 has scarred me - I'm a huge fan of the first few games.

MYE

Here's hoping its half as good as climax's Shattered Memories.
I doubt it but eh, right now it looks good enough for a buy down the road

Benson

I'm hyped, more silent hill in my life can only be a good thing! Doesn't look horrendous from the gameplay vids but it probably won't be on a par with the first few games in the series. Cannot wait to play it.. but as there's no EU release date I guess I'm going to have to!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lets get wet :lol :lol

Holy fucking shit that is awful.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Come on man! Shattered memories was pretty amazing!

Top Bottom