• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

SH3 is at least as scary as the original with some phenomenal art direction. The story wasn't incredibly deep, but neither was the story in the first game, but it was still a good story with some pretty nice emotional aspects. dat car ride

I hope there are at least some interesting creature designs in this. The only thing I can find is awful generic zombie lady. Nothing will likely ever top SH3 in this respect.

Perkel

Banned
MyEpitomeCliché;35710624 said:
I hope there are at least some interesting creature designs in this. The only thing I can find is awful generic zombie lady. Nothing will likely ever top SH3 in this respect.

Nothing tops SH3 church or in hospital bizarre mirror. Walls burning with blood were just otherworldly.

haha...its from some Australian Playstation magazine. Saw it over at Hells Descent. I don't even know that tagline means (I guess it only makes you pee in your pants sometimes?). But they gave the game 7/10 LOL

At least it sounds like the game scared the reviewer, and a 7/10 for a horror game might as well be a 10 for anything else that's popular :p

yes I know I'm grasping at straws there

RedAssedApe

Banned
At least it sounds like the game scared the reviewer, and a 7/10 for a horror game might as well be a 10 for anything else that's popular :p

yes I know I'm grasping at straws there

Naw...I think everyone wants to be optimistic about this. Homecoming was probably a 7/10 for me and I liked that game (minus the inability to invert FPS controls). If Downpour can at least match that experience for me I think I'll be satisfied.

If it keeps getting 7s, that's good enough for me, specially with all the backlash the series has nowadays. With 9s or 10s I'd be worried about the game being too epic/casual/mainstream/dumbed down, and if it got 5s it would probably have major flaws.

Homecoming got more than a few 5s and I enjoyed it anyway, let's hope this is even better.

Nice. Do we know what they liked/didn't like? Just curious...

Yes I do.

Pros: He really praises the puzzles throughout the adventure, claiming they're clever, well-done, and are actually the scariest parts of the games. He goes into a few examples, and they do sound pretty neat. He also really liked the atmosphere. He seemed to enjoy Daniel Licht's music score, as well. He has mixed views with the story, saying it's the most coherent of the series, but also saying it throws some lame twists out near the end that makes it worse than it could have been. He notes that Vatra has a ton of potential in terms of storytelling, though.

Cons: He really, really hated the combat system, implying it's incredibly flawed. He also said the graphics leave much to be desired. Adding on to that, he also said you'll see the same few enemies throughout the adventure. Voice acting is not good. He seems to like the idea of the side quests and implies some people will like it, but he found it a bit more frustrating and less enjoyable than it could have been. Finally, outside of some excellently designed puzzle areas, he just didn't think it was that scary or thrilling.

Naw...I think everyone wants to be optimistic about this. Homecoming was probably a 7/10 for me and I liked that game (minus the inability to invert FPS controls). If Downpour can at least match that experience for me I think I'll be satisfied.

I'm... very confident that it will at least be a better game overall than Homecoming. I'm actually not worried about that at all. For me my simple wish is that it's the best one since Silent Hill 4. I think that's a modest thing to hope for.

cant wait to play a real Silent Hill game again after that Shattered Memories abomination. I'm still not completely sold on it (or maybe more accurately I'm just unsure as to this developers pedigree and respect for what makes SH games good), but from what I've seen it definitely has the best potential to be a legitimately decent SH game since the Room at least

Sure as hell was a better SH game than this could ever hope to be.

Yes I do.

Pros: He really praises the puzzles throughout the adventure, claiming they're clever, well-done, and are actually the scariest parts of the games. He goes into a few examples, and they do sound pretty neat. He also really liked the atmosphere. He seemed to enjoy Daniel Licht's music score, as well. He has mixed views with the story, saying it's the most coherent of the series, but also saying it throws some lame twists out near the end that makes it worse than it could have been. He notes that Vatra has a ton of potential in terms of storytelling, though.

Cons: He really, really hated the combat system, implying it's incredibly flawed. He also said the graphics leave much to be desired. Adding on to that, he also said you'll see the same few enemies throughout the adventure. Voice acting is not good. He seems to like the idea of the side quests and implies some people will like it, but he found it a bit more frustrating and less enjoyable than it could have been. Finally, outside of some excellently designed puzzle areas, he just didn't think it was that scary or thrilling.

Hmmm... That sounds pretty promising and is in line with what I was expecting. SH had never had good combat or voice acting so that doesn't bother me. I've also never been even remotely scared by an SH game so no problem there either. The mention of good atmosphere, well done puzzles, and exploratory based gameplay are what I want to hear. That the reviewer thinks Vatra has potential at storytelling is icing on the cake. In any case, the second this drops to $40, I'm jumpin on it

kunonabi

Yes I do.

This is pretty much what I was expecting although I figured the puzzles would be a wash. To be fair everyone was talking about how the "puzzles" in shattered memories were so amazing that doesn't mean all that much nowadays. I might consider a rental but I'm not buying it after being burned 4 straight times on terrible SH games. I also hated the checkpoints from the earlier gameplay vids I saw which pretty much eliminates the majority of the tension, atmosphere, and horror the game might have.

haha...its from some Australian Playstation magazine. Saw it over at Hells Descent. I don't even know that tagline means (I guess it only makes you pee in your pants sometimes?). But they gave the game 7/10 LOL

That review brought up an issue with the breakable weapons.

The simple act of defending yourself can mean a backtrack across the town to replace a tool needed to open up a path.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
From what i read about the rain mechanic it sounds like it will become a pain in the ass rather quickly, so until i see a few reviews that touch on it and explain that it wont be a hindrance to exploring and combat, im waiting on this.

To be fair everyone was talking about how the "puzzles" in shattered memories were so amazing that doesn't mean all that much nowadays.
There were puzzles in Shattered Memories?

Dang it, I can't find the hastings ad online since their website is down at the moment. I MUST SEE FOR MYSELF. I probably won't get around to it until after ME3, but still!
edit: Site's up! YES

edit2: Sure enough, hastings is showing it at $40 new. Also, Tooth Fairy 2 starring Larry the Cable Guy?

Yeah that was put in there more as a joke when I posted it. I could care less that they added a song to the game. For all we know they love Silent Hill, asked to make a song for it and there ya go. Even if it was in the actually main game it wouldn't stop me from playing the game. Its in the intro start up video right?

Actually games in general is a religion to korn so I am sure they love Silent Hill too. Korn in Downpour wont ruin the game, it just shows how completely clueless Konami are with the series and what clowns some of the devs are when they out and call people narrow minded who don't like the song.

Well, for what it's worth, I enjoyed the first 3 or so hours more than any other entry in this series after 3, but I am just a random GAFfer with a devkit who happens to like only Silent Hill 2.

Holy crap that tagline is bad

what tagline? there is no tagline. doesn't exist.

hmm a 7/10, good enough for me too. if it averages around 7-8 and is objectively fairly decent with no major faults, i'll most likely enjoy it quite a bit (i managed to enjoy Homecoming).

Lime

No, Homecoming had the best combat in the series for me (but its not like Double Helix had a lot to beat in that department).

You mean spamming the knife attack was "the best" combat? Or getting stuck in a nurse animation loop resulting in certain death? Or easily killing "miners" by having them stuck in their animation loop?

I'm sorry, but Homecoming had almost shit everything. Especially the combat. Unless you're into broken, buggy low-budget experiences, I cannot see the positives of especially that particular aspect of the game. How it passed any form of playtesting and final quality assurance is beyond me.

Cudder

spooky.png

http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=6&l=en&JeuID=1529

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You mean spamming the knife attack was "the best" combat? Or getting stuck in a nurse animation loop resulting in certain death? Or easily killing "miners" by having them stuck in their animation loop?

I'm sorry, but Homecoming had almost shit everything. Especially the combat. Unless you're into broken, buggy low-budget experiences, I cannot see the positives of especially that particular aspect of the game. How it passed any form of playtesting and final quality assurance is beyond me.

I'm trying to think of something I enjoyed about Homecoming, but I can't find anything. The story sucked, the graphics were terrible, the character models were generally pitiful, Pyramid Head appeared for no good reason, and the combat was by far the worst piece of shit I've seen to date in any SH game. Not even the bosses or Hell Descent, which others have praised, impressed me. It was just a bad game all around. Hopefully Downpour will be better.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I like the idea of side quests, to explore and be more apart of Silent Hill 'side stories' within the town.

I'm sure they executed that idea poorly though.

There's a trophy/achievement for completing the game without killing a single enemy... eh? I'm looking forward to that one.

Ridley327

I'm trying to think of something I enjoyed about Homecoming, but I can't find anything. The story sucked, the graphics were terrible, the character models were generally pitiful, Pyramid Head appeared for no good reason, and the combat was by far the worst piece of shit I've seen to date in any SH game. Not even the bosses or Hell Descent, which others have praised, impressed me. It was just a bad game all around. Hopefully Downpour will be better.

I never got the love either. I've always attributed it to starving a dog for so long that even a mostly rancid piece of meat is going to look good.

Grisby

I didn't realize until after going through the game that the knife was the ultimate weapon. Broken? Sure, but I still had fun with it. Never had any animation loop deals.

Never had any bugs/glitches with Homecoming really, so I can't say it was buggy/broken.

Carbonox

Bah I wanted to watch that 40 minute video. Having not seen more than a minute of footage prior (due to not giving a damn about the franchise since it went downhill), it looked decent until 10 minutes in and I had to turn it off.

Those two annoying fucktards (someone tape that girl's mouth shut) speaking over the video and searching every nook and cranny. On top of an epic toothache I've been having today, I'm surprised I didn't kill myself. :lol

Yes I could have muted it but I wanted to experience the sounds of the game, hah.

Lime

I didn't realize until after going through the game that the knife was the ultimate weapon. Broken? Sure, but I still had fun with it. Never had any animation loop deals.

Never had any bugs/glitches with Homecoming really, so I can't say it was buggy/broken.

Okay, maybe it was just me easily breaking the game's mechanics with some of the weapons and enemies. Nevertheless, it simply feels like a game that needed at least 10 months or more in the oven, if the formal characteristics (mechanics, bug-fixing, combat balancing) were to meet the expected standards of a >$20 game.

eldoon

That not kill any monsters achievement just adds more to the idea that the monsters in the silent hill games are people / animals and only monsters in the players eyes.

Homecoming wasn't that great, however it was a move in the right direction. I didn't really mind it.

Playing Amnesia recently has reminded me how good a scary game can be. I don't think downpour will be good either, but if they keep working it out, maybe the next one.

Top Bottom