• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Wii U] Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed framerate issues fixed

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
In fact, it's the second best running edition, after the PC one that is. From someone who's working on the game, posted on the SEGA Forums:

ibdlBi9lwWyW8b.png

For those of you who haven’t listened to Sonic Talk, Lycett’s explanation for the poor performance of the Wii U version was the simple fact that the demo the critics were playing at GDC was based on old code. Since then, more previews have come out complaining about the frame rate issues, but that’s probably because it’s the same exact demo. SEGA will typically use the same demo across multiple events, as it takes time to make a new one, and according to Lycett on Sonic Talk that was time the team simply did not have.

I had doubts of buying this edition of the game in the future because of that issue, but it is nice to hear that it has been solved.

Source: Sonic Stadium

madmackem

People thought otherwise? it was early code on new hardware was always going to be fixed or at least made better in the full version.

Kokonoe

Banned
For those getting the Wii U, this is going be a Kart Racer even better than Mario Kart in my opinion. First one already was that for me.

Tizoc

Good.
NOW GIMME NEW CHARACTER REVEAL TRAILERS DAMNIT!
I WANT TO CELEBRATE SEGATA SANSHIRO'S 15TH ANNIVERSARY!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We'll see once released.
If this is true, I'll defintely buy the Wii U version (that chart above is the summary of my reasons to pick this version up)

Stewox

Banned
Here we go again.

Again the random gaming "community" (which has no idea about tech or software) is again talking about frame rate issues that a specific version would have.

A competent studio will optimize the game to have steady frame rate on all platforms so there should be no frame rate issues of any sorts, this may lead to compromises in the game's looks and guts, PS3 is a notoriously unsuitable for game development over others.

If there are frame rate issues with a game is not the console's fault, no CPU fault. I know the guy quoted has no idea what he's talking about and I know this was said so many times, but there's always someone who misses this.

If there is bad hardware to begin with, this would have been already known, the console wouldn't get the kind of support and the kind of launch lineup you see for WiiU, there were some really bad ones in early 21', remember carmack talking about it.

To be honest, no offense to PS guys, but the only reason studios go through headaches to make ports for PS3 is just because of the market that is there.

Frame rate issues have nothign to do with hardware, they have to do with software, if developers can't get a steady frame rate, they are the fault, if the hardware cannot handle poligons, textures, whatever is that is heavy on the CPU that's just what hardware can do, no reason to push it while sacrificing performance.

WiiU is not out yet, there has nothing been established how easy or hard (complex) is going to be for developers, historically, we all know nintendo reliability and quality, so I think it'll be the best console ever made, and processing power is not a factor in determining this.

Here we go again.

Again the random gaming "community" (which has no idea about tech or software) is again talking about frame rate issues that a specific version would have.

A competent studio will optimize the game to have steady frame rate on all platforms so there should be no frame rate issues of any sorts, this may lead to compromises in the game's looks and guts, PS3 is a notoriously unsuitable for game development over others.

If there are frame rate issues with a game is not the console's fault, no CPU fault. I know the guy quoted has no idea what he's talking about and I know this was said so many times, but there's always someone who misses this.

If there is bad hardware to begin with, this would have been already known, the console wouldn't get the kind of support and the kind of launch lineup you see for WiiU, there were some really bad ones in early 21', remember carmack talking about it.

To be honest, no offense to PS guys, but the only reason studios go through headaches to make ports for PS3 is just because of the market that is there.

Frame rate issues have nothign to do with hardware, they have to do with software, if developers can't get a steady frame rate, they are the fault, if the hardware cannot handle poligons, textures, whatever is that is heavy on the CPU that's just what hardware can do, no reason to push it while sacrificing performance.

WiiU is not out yet, there has nothing been established how easy or hard (complex) is going to be for developers, historically, we all know nintendo reliability and quality, so I think it'll be the best console ever made, and processing power is not a factor in determining this.

18481-5003.gif

Jackano

It's a pretty good job Sega has done here. I'm happy for them, especially since they are releasing Sonic racing when Mario Kart isn't available yet on the console.
A multiplat game released for the launch, with a bunch of Wii U features we were waiting for, even if this is not the most innovatives ones: Rear view, play without the TV, 5 players, and Miis... I'm abosolutely not interested in this game but that's good job from Sega.
However the Wii had Sonic & the Secret Rings in the launch window, this is not as good.

Nice, but does anybody know what the "target framerate" is? I hope it's 60fps!

Anyway, I hope this game will be good, we don't have enough Mario Kart clones. And Nintendo is getting kinda lazy with Mario, some competition wouldn't hurt.

Here we go again.

So basically GTA5 ported completely on 3ds at 60fps or Rockstar don't know what they are doing?

I like how Wii U having a crappy CPU is universal knowledge MrFranklin would fit in around here. I wonder how IBM feels about this kind of talk going around?

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's a pretty good job Sega has done here. I'm happy for them, especially since they are releasing Sonic racing when Mario Kart isn't available yet on the console.
A multiplat game released for the launch, with a bunch of Wii U features we were waiting for, even if this is not the most innovatives ones: Rear view, play without the TV, 5 players, and Miis... I'm abosolutely not interested in this game but that's good job from Sega.
However the Wii had Sonic & the Secret Rings in the launch window, this is not as good.

If this game doesn't force you to grind in order to go fast then it'll be a million times better than Secret Rings.

People thought otherwise? it was early code on new hardware was always going to be fixed or at least made better in the full version.

The problem was that just a week or so ago it was still showing framerate problems at an event where it was being shown. People go based on what they see.

While I have no doubt there is no reason why there should be framerate issues anymore and that it SHOULD be fixed... it's best to get confirmation from someone who isn't working with the company that makes the game.

Here we go again.

Would you consider yourself an expert?

Leaning towards this version of the game if the PC version isn't pointlessly gimped again, so it's good to hear that really dodgy looking frame rate from videos has (supposedly) been fixed. Have they made a statement yet regarding whether the PC version will have online or not?

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Since I'm getting quoted...

First thing here is the demo shown at the Nintendo WiiU launch event certainly wasn't final code and should have been labelled as such. So many things about it, elements like performance, controls, balancing and the GamePad screen features should not in any way be taken as final.

In fact, if you came to the office today, the code you'd see here which has numurous improvements in every single one of those areas isn't final either. That's the point here, it's not finished :)

One of the interesting elements about being a launch title is that you have dates that don't move. As such, we have to make calls about how we use our time wisely. Doing a show floor demo can easily take two to three weeks, but that same amount of work is way more valuable to us to get the final game done. Especially since a show floor demo is invariably chucked away and never used again. Of course we also were told the demo would be behind closed doors... So we never really expected the level of scrutiny it got!

Anyway, it's all academic. Right now we're pretty much in target frame rate bar some spikes with effects on certain tracks, and in some cases in 5 player splitscreen. We'll continue to hit those (and we have time to do so) not only on WiiU, but on all the other myriad of platforms we're on.

We really care about this game, it represents over 2 and half years work for pretty much the entire team and right now every working hour is spent working on that final polish, getting the frame rate into the right place - and delivering what I very much feel, is our best SEGA project to date.

Right, best go squash some more bugs!

---
S0L
---

Roo

Well, I think I'll keep an eye on this one if the framerate issue is indeed solved now

Framerate was the only thing lacking to make this the ultimate version:
zBwgV.png

only over 26 tracks?
I was expecting something at least in the line of Mario Kart DS/Wii/3DS with 32 tracks
oh well, maybe they're long enough to compensate that.
Didn't know Wreck-It Ralph was a playable character tho :O definitely interesting

Well, I think I'll keep an eye on this one if the framerate issue is indeed solved now

only 26 tracks?
I was expecting something at least in the line of Mario Kart DS/Wii/3DS with 32 tracks
Didn't know Wreck-It Ralph was a playable character tho :O definitely interesting

These tracks have more detail in them then mario kart tracks and multiple routes.

only over 26 tracks?

Only 26 tracks?? Seems like more than enough for me. Although this is coming from someone who's last kart racer was CTR with like 16 tracks or something. But even with just 16, it kicked all sorts of ass. Looking forward to buying
on the PS3

@MUWANdo

Banned

First thing here is the demo shown at the Nintendo WiiU launch event certainly wasn't final code and should have been labelled as such. So many things about it, elements like performance, controls, balancing and the GamePad screen features should not in any way be taken as final.

In fact, if you came to the office today, the code you'd see here which has numurous improvements in every single one of those areas isn't final either. That's the point here, it's not finished :)

One of the interesting elements about being a launch title is that you have dates that don't move. As such, we have to make calls about how we use our time wisely. Doing a show floor demo can easily take two to three weeks, but that same amount of work is way more valuable to us to get the final game done. Especially since a show floor demo is invariably chucked away and never used again. Of course we also were told the demo would be behind closed doors... So we never really expected the level of scrutiny it got!

Anyway, it's all academic. Right now we're pretty much in target frame rate bar some spikes with effects on certain tracks, and in some cases in 5 player splitscreen. We'll continue to hit those (and we have time to do so) not only on WiiU, but on all the other myriad of platforms we're on.

We really care about this game, it represents over 2 and half years work for pretty much the entire team and right now every working hour is spent working on that final polish, getting the frame rate into the right place - and delivering what I very much feel, is our best SEGA project to date.

---
S0L
---

Thanks for the response!

Just for future reference, should we expect to see/hear about any new public builds between now and release, or will everything from this point forward be either the current (old) build or the gold version?

Also, when are we gonna see footage of the 3DS/Vita versions? I don't think we've seen anything at all, which makes me very nervous...

ffdgh

only over 26 tracks?

to be fair tho, the other 16 tracks in mario kart are just remakes, But they're nice.

---
S0L
---

You sir, have my respect. Thanks for taking the time to comment further on the subject.

@MUWANdo

Banned
only over 26 tracks?

The tracks are massive and change dramatically from lap to lap, plus they're not 50% old courses like Mario Kart.

Roo

These tracks have more detail in them then mario kart tracks and multiple routes.

I saw a video from the Nintendo Event and the track wasn't that great
I'll wait to make a proper judgement

Only 26 tracks?? Seems like more than enough for me. Although this is coming from someone who's last kart racer was CTR with like 16 tracks or something. But even with just 16, it kicked all sorts of ass. Looking forward to buying
on the PS3

I guess Mario Kart spoiled me lol

MaLDo

---
S0L
---

Can we expect the PC version is actually PS360 quality and not a wii bad port as the first game?

kitsuneyo

The map on the pad looks pretty cool, hopefully it turns out to be a good Mario Kart substitute for the console's launch.

I never played the first game, how did it match up to MK?

Edit:
For those getting the Wii U, this is going be a Kart Racer even better than Mario Kart in my opinion. First one already was that for me.

I missed this before, ta.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Thanks for the response!

Just for future reference, should we expect to see/hear about any new public builds between now and release, or will everything from this point forward be either the current (old) build or the gold version?

Also, when are we gonna see footage of the 3DS/Vita versions? I don't think we've seen anything at all, which makes me very nervous...

Right now we're in full on finaling mode, once it's into submission we intend to look at some demos, be they show floor or end user, but really it's a SEGA question for when they'll show it. Can't really answer that one. Let us finish the game first :p

On the handheld platforms, we've not shown anything for a couple of reasons. Mainly it's been a question of making sure the framerate is sorted so any visuals we show are indicitive of the final game. We don't want to show anything misleading, as if we have to pull back on detail or textures, you'd then (rightly) complain that early shots don't match the final product.

Oh and whilst I can't go into detail on the PC version, yes, all the complaints from last time were very much heard. There will be online play, proper controller configuration, plus you'll not miss out on leaderboards etc - and that's all I can really say for now!

---
S0L
---

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GREAT news. I look forward to this on launch day.

That said, is the Wii U exclusive character a Mii? Because, if so, LOL.

Rich!

I personally much prefer the original to MK Wii. It's far more balanced and skill-centric than the LOL BLUE SHELL ROFL free-for-all gameplay of MK Wii.

GREAT news. I look forward to this on launch day.

That said, is the Wii U exclusive character a Mii? Because, if so, LOL.

Nope, it's Wreck-it-Ralph, the star character of the upcoming Disney film. Miis are included too though, from what I see!

WillyFive

The map on the pad looks pretty cool, hopefully it turns out to be a good Mario Kart substitute for the console's launch.

I missed this before, ta.

It definitely matched up if not exceeded Mario Kart in features and game modes. The polish however did not match Mario Kart, but if you could handle long load times, slightly weird collision, and the lower framerate; it's a fantastic replacement/alternative to Mario Kart. I would completely recommend it for a fan of the genre.

SykoTech

Nope, it's Wreck-it-Ralph, the star character of the upcoming Disney film. Miis are included too though, from what I see!

Ralph is Wii U exclusive? I thought he and Danica were for all consoles.

That's good news for me if so. I was worried that they would get a console exclusive character that I'd actually care about like Ristar or someone. Hopefully the character exclusives are just random guest and not Sega characters.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Right now we're in full on finaling mode, once it's into submission we intend to look at some demos, be they show floor or end user, but really it's a SEGA question for when they'll show it. Can't really answer that one. Let us finish the game first :p

On the handheld platforms, we've not shown anything for a couple of reasons. Mainly it's been a question of making sure the framerate is sorted so any visuals we show are indicitive of the final game. We don't want to show anything misleading, as if we have to pull back on detail or textures, you'd then (rightly) complain that early shots don't match the final product.

Oh and whilst I can't go into detail on the PC version, yes, all the complaints from last time were very much heard. There will be online play, proper controller configuration, plus you'll not miss out on leaderboards etc - and that's all I can really say for now!

---
S0L
---

Understood. I guess I just wanted to know whether to bother reading any more pre-release reports, but I guess it should be fairly obvious if/when you roll out a new build.

Again, thanks for the response!

(p.s. Phantasy Star is mondo cool. Just sayin'.)

Ralph is Wii U exclusive? I thought he and Danica were for all consoles.

That's good news for me if so. I was worried that they would get a console exclusive character that I'd actually care about like Ristar or someone. Hopefully the character exclusives are just random guest and not Sega characters.

Yeah, Ralph is kinda strange... nintendo was granted exclusivity for games based on the movie and character, but i don't think that carried over to cameos...

Tizoc

S0L- If you don't mind me asking, when can we expect new character reveals/character reveal trailers? We're almost 6-8 weeks away from release
and I wanna see Segata Sanshiro driving a Genesis->Saturn (Sea)->Dreamcast (sky) already XO

Ein Bear

I really want to pick this up on Wii U, but that version is retailing for £10 more than all the others over here. Kinda sucks, will probably go with the PS3 one.

Seriously can't wait for this though. The first game suffered a little bit from feeling pretty low budget (recycled voice clips, minimal track variations, etc), but was still probably my favourite Kart racer ever. Lost a scary amount of hours to that game.

Top Bottom