• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Wii U] Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed framerate issues fixed

denshuu

Taking it with a grain of salt, since devs said the same thing about the first three years of PS3 ports.

If it's true, then I've found what Wii U launch title I'm obsessing over first.

IrishNinja

yeah, im betting on the WU version here too, but unless i can snag it for around $30, ill prolly rent first anyway - i try to be cautious with launch games, especially ports.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I personally much prefer the original to MK Wii. It's far more balanced and skill-centric than the LOL BLUE SHELL ROFL free-for-all gameplay of MK Wii.

Nope, it's Wreck-it-Ralph, the star character of the upcoming Disney film. Miis are included too though, from what I see!

I don't believe is is true.

WillyFive

I don't believe is is true.

46549_10151147460907418_401676263_n.jpg

Why not?

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Ralph is Wii U exclusive? I thought he and Danica were for all consoles.

That's good news for me if so. I was worried that they would get a console exclusive character that I'd actually care about like Ristar or someone. Hopefully the character exclusives are just random guest and not Sega characters.

Ralph and Danica are cross platform, not exclusives. That'd be mental :p

S0L- If you don't mind me asking, when can we expect new character reveals/character reveal trailers? We're almost 6-8 weeks away from release
and I wanna see Segata Sanshiro driving a Genesis->Saturn (Sea)->Dreamcast (sky) already XO

We've got a new trailer coming soon, as we get closer to release expect more noise from SEGA. We're too busy finishing the game though right now to do much in the way of shouting.

Obligatory 'SEGA SATURN SHIRO' here too :)

---
S0L
---

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
If SOL is not in that thread, this is the only place to ask, especially as the forum post Sumo was responding to was saying that the frame rate was due to the slow Wii U CPU.

Oh and I'm not even remotely allowed to talk about WiiU specifications. It has a CPU and GPU is about as far as I can go!

However, I really don't get the obsession there. Clearly it's better in a number of ways than the current systems (not least in memory!) - but really, it's the games that make a system successful or not, not the specifications. Else no-one would have bought the DS :)

---
S0L
---

Ein Bear

S0L I have a PS3, 360 and have a Wii U on pre-order... are you allowed to say which version of the game I should be pre-ordering? :p

gamingeek

Oh and I'm not even remotely allowed to talk about WiiU specifications. It has a CPU and GPU is about as far as I can go!

However, I really don't get the obsession there. Clearly it's better in a number of ways than the current systems (not least in memory!) - but really, it's the games that make a system successful or not, not the specifications. Else no-one would have bought the DS :)

---
S0L
---

Thanks man.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, the DS was still an upgrade to the GBA in more ways than one. Although, I think it's best to not discuss the whole Wii U system specs thing as that's already been discussed to death, and will lead to everything else but this kart racer.

Bulzeeb

S0L I have a PS3, 360 and have a Wii U on pre-order... are you allowed to say which version of the game I should be pre-ordering? :p

Wii U if you want 5 player split screen, PC if you are one of the so called master race gamers or ps3/360 if you don't mind about the split screen, i'll personally go for the Wii U

JordanN

Banned

---
S0L
---
While you're not allowed to talk specs, do you have any knowledge on why other verified developers like Tecmo Koei/Namco Bandai Games/Gearbox Software etc are allowed to openly talk the specs? I find it very polarizing on what's allowed to be said assuming everyone is under the same NDA.

GrayFoxPL

I just have this stupid wish that the game is being optimized individually on every platform in terms of framerate.

Boerseun

Banned
Everything seems to indicate the Wii U version will be the definitive one, if they have truly sorted out the frame rate.

I'm starting to wonder how the next Mario Kart will be capable of topping this.

SykoTech

Ralph and Danica are cross platform, not exclusives. That'd be mental :p

We've got a new trailer coming soon, as we get closer to release expect more noise from SEGA. We're too busy finishing the game though right now to do much in the way of shouting.

Obligatory 'SEGA SATURN SHIRO' here too :)

---
S0L
---

Thanks for the clarification, S0L. Looking forward to the new trailer, more character reveals, and the game of course.

Also, playable Ristar along with Segata would make me buy 10 copies. Just saying.

pramath

Banned
Wow... the doom mongering around Wii U titles is getting pretty annoying.

People also tried to proclaim Rayman Legends sucked because of Murphy play and got proven wrong on that to.

Ease up people.

Teknoman

I just want to know one thing. Solid 60 fps or solid 30 fps?

EDIT: If Segata got in, and his theme song played everytime his character specific move was activated...wow.

denshuu

I'm starting to wonder how the next Mario Kart will be capable of topping it.

I'm betting it won't. The first SAR game shat all over every kart racer before it, and Mario Kart 7 didn't even come close.

It's almost not even a fair comparison. SAR has Sumo Digital at the helm, so it's actually a great arcade style racer underneath the crazy tracks and powerups.

cand

Well... since the game isn't even out yet and what we saw was a demo it was pretty obvious they would fix the framerate issues. People just feel pleasure in bashing things when they find how...

Internet.

I'm betting it won't. The first SAR game shat all over every kart racer before it, and Mario Kart 7 didn't even come close.

It's almost not even a fair comparison. SAR has Sumo Digital at the helm, so it's actually a great arcade style racer underneath the crazy tracks and powerups.
The first sasar was good Ive played it way more than mario kart this gen and it was better than mkwii. It didnt top all of the mario kart games though. Diddy kong racing still sit up top by itself though. I expect the next mk on Wii U to be a killer though.

Eric C

S0L said:
Wrong. If anything the WiiU version is now the closest to the target framerate, well discounting the PC version that is

Anyway, it's all academic. Right now we're pretty much in target frame rate bar some spikes with effects on certain tracks, and in some cases in 5 player splitscreen. We'll continue to hit those (and we have time to do so) not only on WiiU, but on all the other myriad of platforms we're on.

Great news.

*Hoping* that target framerate is 60fps not 30fps, and the Wii-U version hits that when playing single player or online.

Having the option to play this game without a TV screen and instead using the GamePad when I want to, taking it around different areas of my house makes me want the Wii-U version instead of the PC one. Framerate was and is my only concern.

RM8

I really liked the first one, but better than Mario Kart DS? Nope. Mostly because they feel different, though, it definitely doesn't feel as "crazy kart racing"-ish as Mario Kart games, and this one looks even more like that. It's good that we get different experiences and not clones. I agree that Diddy Kong Racing compares more to Mario Kart.

Right now we're in full on finaling mode, once it's into submission we intend to look at some demos, be they show floor or end user, but really it's a SEGA question for when they'll show it. Can't really answer that one. Let us finish the game first :p

On the handheld platforms, we've not shown anything for a couple of reasons. Mainly it's been a question of making sure the framerate is sorted so any visuals we show are indicitive of the final game. We don't want to show anything misleading, as if we have to pull back on detail or textures, you'd then (rightly) complain that early shots don't match the final product.

Oh and whilst I can't go into detail on the PC version, yes, all the complaints from last time were very much heard. There will be online play, proper controller configuration, plus you'll not miss out on leaderboards etc - and that's all I can really say for now!

---
S0L
---
I really hope that we can get some 3DS or Vita footage soon though, especially since the game comes out in 2 months.

I pre-ordered the 3DS version because you guys did fantastic work on both the Wii (the game is graphical marvel for me to this day) and the DS even with its limited ability. I really don't want to be disappointed......

(Also, from the data I have S&S All-Stars sold A LOT more on Wii and DS than it did 360/PS3, so I have faith that you'd treat these platforms' successors right.)

Daschysta

From what I can remember the game looked quite beautiful on the Wii-U, the frame rate was the issue, i'm definitely buying this now that the framerate is fixed.

Meelow

Banned
Sumor Digital talks more about the Wii U version.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=42627911

First thing here is the demo shown at the Nintendo WiiU launch event certainly wasn't final code and should have been labelled as such. So many things about it, elements like performance, controls, balancing and the GamePad screen features should not in any way be taken as final.

In fact, if you came to the office today, the code you'd see here which has numurous improvements in every single one of those areas isn't final either. That's the point here, it's not finished :)

One of the interesting elements about being a launch title is that you have dates that don't move. As such, we have to make calls about how we use our time wisely. Doing a show floor demo can easily take two to three weeks, but that same amount of work is way more valuable to us to get the final game done. Especially since a show floor demo is invariably chucked away and never used again. Of course we also were told the demo would be behind closed doors... So we never really expected the level of scrutiny it got!

Anyway, it's all academic. Right now we're pretty much in target frame rate bar some spikes with effects on certain tracks, and in some cases in 5 player splitscreen. We'll continue to hit those (and we have time to do so) not only on WiiU, but on all the other myriad of platforms we're on.

We really care about this game, it represents over 2 and half years work for pretty much the entire team and right now every working hour is spent working on that final polish, getting the frame rate into the right place - and delivering what I very much feel, is our best SEGA project to date.

Right, best go squash some more bugs!

Jacobi

Banned
Their honesty is awesome, personally I wouldn't write on message boards that their game still has problems...

Top Bottom