• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - New Nintendo Land details from ONM magazine

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
All info taken from ONM issue 88.

Balloon Trip Breeze

Hero carries parcels between islands
Delivering the parcels rewards you with currency to spend in the theme park.
You can tap away certain obstacles on the gamepad but random prods (cheating) will cause the spikes to ricochet.

Metroid Blast

Shooting doesn't use the sensor to aim, but the MotionPlus (ala Skyward Sword).
Gunmen boast Samus' full moveset - morph ball, charge shots, evasive dodges and grapple beams - can use the latter to hang from the gunship.

Mario Chase

In the Mud River Run stage, mud moats can be crossed via bridges that dissolve under the escapee's feet.
At the end of the round, you get a breakdown of everyone's movement.

Pikmin Adventure

Pikmin world re-imagined as clockwork Gashapon toys.
Enemies arrive in plastic capsules, dispatched by a giant vending machine.
When a Pikmin is eaten by an enemy, they emerge as Poo (!) Friends must then help to chip them out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Chipping friends out of poo = Miyamoto's latest hobby?

No can't think about it further.

"Shooting doesn't use the sensor to aim, but the MotionPlus (ala Skyward Sword)."

God. Just kill the Wiimote if you're gonna neglect its best feature.

let's get these magazine blow outs out of the way... seems like IGN has its Wii U next week according to Rich-IGN latest tweet

I wonder how the print media got the details they needed to get a story in a magazine the way Nintendo seems to have been late getting these consoles out.

I want more details about Nintendo Land from parts we have not seen all year

Meelow

Banned
let's get these magazine blow outs out of the way... seems like IGN has its Wii U next week according to Rich-IGN latest tweet

I wonder how the print media got the details they needed to get a story in a magazine the way Nintendo seems to have been late getting these consoles out.

If that's what his message meant, with the Nintendo thing on the 24th, I'm guessing Nintendo Direct this week, hopefully they can fix up the whole cross chat mess up.

If that's what his message meant, with the Nintendo thing on the 24th, I'm guessing Nintendo Direct this week, hopefully they can fix up the whole cross chat mess up.

well he would need to start playing those games now to get those reviews out on time.
23 games in 4 weeks is a hell of a lot of work so if that is not what the tweet meant then I feel bad for the guy.

still wonder what magazines like ONM do to keep up.

when does Edge get review copies and hardware... things like that should be interesting to take note of. I need reviews right now because beyond Mario I don't really know what else to buy for sure.

Forreal? Thats awesome!

I see meelow still hoping for ND. I was hoping this whole week. Cause you said it meelow..

Brofield

FUCK THAT. God dammit, that's like the biggest complaint I had with SS controls. IR is so much better.

This. Why I couldn't use an IR pointer when I was at those save statues is beyond me. I had to recalibrate more often there than during boss battles.

eternalb

These aren't new details. Tons of sites like IGN and Gamexplain's discussions have covered most of them (and more).

But I'm still stoked anyway. This game looks to be a gem.

Motion Plus aiming is absolutely horrendous. I literally just played the shooting game in Wii Play Motion, and I'm extremely disappointed.

Speaking of the shooting game, the second level with the ninjas is very similar to Takamaru's Ninja castle.

2VFIN.jpg

Anyway, I'm really appalled that Nintendo keeps insisting on using Motion Plus for aiming. The improved motion fidelity is fine, but give me back my infrared aiming. Tilting the Wii Remote at a ninety degree angle just to shoot something on the side of the screen is unacceptable.

flattie

Metroid Blast

Shooting doesn't use the sensor to aim, but the MotionPlus (ala Skyward Sword).
Gunmen boast Samus' full moveset - morph ball, charge shots, evasive dodges and grapple beams - can use the latter to hang from the gunship.

I wonder if the wiimote will need regular re-calibration as it did in Skyward Sword.

Eusis

Anyway, I'm really appalled that Nintendo keeps insisting on using Motion Plus for aiming. The improved motion fidelity is fine, but give me back my infrared aiming. Tilting the Wii Remote at a ninety degree angle just to shoot something on the side of the screen is unacceptable.
I wonder if it's possible to mix the two? Infrared when it sees the sensor bar, then motion plus when it doesn't? But they have two different feels, so that might be even worse.

Anyways I have to admit if Nintendo's putting the foot down on Motion Plus support it's probably for the best. Granted, there's obviously issues with games favoring the sensors over the IR bar since there's pros/cons to each, but mandating any Wii U game that uses the Wii Remote to require Motion Plus could mean we actually see that properly used on the Wii U. Assuming everyone doesn't just ignore it in favor of the Wii U Game Pad anyway.

wsippel

Banned
I wonder if it's possible to mix the two? Infrared when it sees the sensor bar, then motion plus when it doesn't? But they have two different feels, so that might be even worse.
It's possible, both Red Steel 2 and Reginleiv do it.

Sagitario

I really wanted pointer aiming for Metroid Blast.

I guess not including the sensor bar in the Japanese SKU made the decision easier for them.

It's possible, both Red Steel 2 and Reginleiv do it.
Yeah. It would be most excellent if it included both options or a mix of them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Never had any problems with MotionPlus aiming myself. This all sounds good to me.

Another thread where people completely misunderstood how aiming calibration worked in Skyward Sword. It recalibrated every single time you entered aiming mode to the position you currently were holding the remote at and all aiming was relative to there. I never had it 'drift' once in my entire playthough.

flattie

Another thread where people completely misunderstood how aiming calibration worked in Skyward Sword. It recalibrated every single time you entered aiming mode to the position you currently were holding the remote at and all aiming was relative to there. I never had it 'drift' once in my entire playthough.

Oh. Well. I must have imagined it drifting off after initially setting to the correct position. I'll let everybody else know that they must have imagined it too. Oh and best let them all know about the calibration on initially entering aiming mode too - I'm sure nobody knew that either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't dislike M+ aiming as much as folk, but it's nowhere near as tight or responsive as IR pointer aiming. Literally the best feature of the remote, and really no reason not to use it at all.

Hell, Red Steel 2 managed to use both.

Bentendo

I still can't believe its not a pack in for both console versions.

Yup. Whether or not it's a missed opportunity (I think it is), you can't deny that it's surprising after the success of Wii Sports.

I don't dislike M+ aiming as much as folk, but it's nowhere near as tight or responsive as IR pointer aiming. Literally the best feature of the remote, and really no reason not to use it at all.

Hell, Red Steel 2 managed to use both.

Wii Sports Resort did too man!

*for the menus that is*

Bentendo

In my dreams, it is a sequel to Yoshi's Touch and Go.

Yup. Great little diversion when it came out. Wasn't a huge fan of paying that much money... I liked the arcade feel (getting a higher score) but it was just not detailed enough. Works much better in this type of game.

Oh. Well. I must have imagined it drifting off after initially setting to the correct position. I'll let everybody else know that they must have imagined it too. Oh and best let them all know about the calibration on initially entering aiming mode too - I'm sure nobody knew that either.
Describe this 'drifting' problem you had.

I think the reason they're using WM+ is due to the fact that if you have 4 players with wiimotes then one person on a gamepad depending on the size of a person's living room it might be tricky to consistently use the sensor bar.

So we know this game won't have online multiplayer, but will certain games be playable with only 1 person with the CPU controlling other characters? Mario Chase, Pikmin Adventure, Luigi's Ghost Mansion for example?

So we know this game won't have online multiplayer, but will certain games be playable with only 1 person with the CPU controlling other characters? Mario Chase, Pikmin Adventure, Luigi's Ghost Mansion for example?
Nintendoland_Games.jpg

Middle three are multiplayer only. Three on the left are multiplayer or singleplayer, the rest are singleplayer only.

Top Bottom