• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - New Nintendo Land details from ONM magazine

D-e-f-

Banned
Thanks for answering Im not sure how I missed that info. Sounds very addicting to me atleast.

Maybe they'll censor that in Germany like they did with the slot machines in one of the recent Pokémon games lol :D

(Because gambling is illegal and obviously you become addicted to gambling when playing a slot machine-type minigame in Pokémon ...but buying dozens of Pokémon games that are all the same and often come out in color variations is not an issue :D)

gururoji

I know Nintendo hates options (except for Sakurai), but couldn't the M+ vs. IR aiming be an option?! It's not like it's online where it'd present a balance problem.

Who at Nintendo still insists that M+ pointer is still a good idea? I feel like I never have to worry about third parties using it in shooters. As talented as the people who made Nintendo Land are it is sad I cannot expect a particular level of common sense from them. M+ pointing worked fine for what Skyward Sword needed even if it wasn't ideal. It is not suited for shooter specific games though. I don't have much interest in the Metroid game now and worry what may be if Miyamoto ever did try that Halo killer he said he could do :p

Yes it does. I played the game and it uses the IR. In fact when I started playing, the sensor bar was disconnected and the pointer didn't work

Thanks for taking notice. I think I've heard other impressions which say the same thing and it is a welcome relief.

Mouse>>>Wiimote>Analog stick>>>>>M+ aiming.

I've always preferred the Wiimote over analog sticks, but could always understand why someone else wouldn't. You lose turning speed for pointer accuracy. But both are a metric fuckton more reliable than M+.

Turning speed hasn't been a problem for a long time. Metroid Prime 3 was the first game to get bounding boxes/dead zones right but it didn't do enough for turning speeds. The Conduit and Call of Duty(besides 3) games let you adjust turning speeds to as fast as you could want. There is no hardware limitation of the wiimote which limits turning speed. It's up to the devs if maximum turning speeds are a slow crawl like Red Steel or a fast blur like The Conduit. Turning could still be a problem for people who insist on using a massive bounding box though.

Wouldn't IR pointer be mess in split screen?

There have been split screen pointer controls on wii games already. If there were any fundamental flaw in it we should already know of it. I've never heard any complaints.

What was Nintendo's official excuse for not allowing traditional pointing in SS even as an option? Did we ever get one?

The Boat

Thanks for taking notice. I think I've heard other impressions which say the same thing and it is a welcome relief.

What was Nintendo's official excuse for not allowing traditional pointing in SS even as an option? Did we ever get one?

No problem.
They don't need an excuse, because it's not the piece of shit people are making it out to be. M+ aiming is slower I guess, but it also fails less because you don't need to be pointing at the sensor bar, which also makes it much more comfortable. These are the likely reasons for their choice.

To me it was just a matter of getting used to, when I played TP after a playing SS it also felt weird, I just need to flip the switch from pointing at the TV to "relative pointing".

J.W.Crazy

What would change about the 'asymmetrical gameplay' if everyone wasn't in the same room? You're not supposed to look at the gamepad anyway if you're the players who are using the wiimotes/controller pro, so the effective gameplay result is the same. One of the players who would be online would be utilizing the abilities typically reserved for the gamepad, and the others would use the wiimotes.

Is there some element I'm missing about that? I'm not the least bit interested in Nintendoland, but I wanted to know if you were just making an excuse for the lack of online or if there is something central about being in the same room when you're utilizing asymmetrical gameplay.

I understand the complaints about no online support, it's going to be hard for me to convince anyone I know to play Nintendo Land, but I think they've got a pretty valid reason for excluding it. Asymmetrical gameplay doesn't feel any different online. If they want to push that experience as the major selling point giving people the option to ignore it is a bad idea. It's also a way to sell more consoles. If you want the multiplayer experience you'll have to invite your friends over to play, friends who may not have a Wii U themselves, instead of just playing online with other people who already have one.

kunonabi

No problem.
They don't need an excuse, because it's not the piece of shit people are making it out to be. M+ aiming is slower I guess, but it also fails less because you don't need to be pointing at the sensor bar, which also makes it much more comfortable. These are the likely reasons for their choice.

To me it was just a matter of getting used to, when I played TP after a playing SS it also felt weird, I just need to flip the switch from pointing at the TV to "relative pointing".

M+ was only slower on the main menu. Once you start the game it moves just fine.

The Boat

M+ was only slower on the main menu. Once you start the game it moves just fine.

I think most people get stuck on their first impression of the pointer on the menu, which by the way I can't fathom why they left it like that. Every other UI in the game works by tilting the remote as if you were reaching for the option instead of aiming.

gururoji

No problem.
They don't need an excuse, because it's not the piece of shit people are making it out to be. M+ aiming is slower I guess, but it also fails less because you don't need to be pointing at the sensor bar, which also makes it much more comfortable.

Yeah, it's not a piece of shit--it was fine for Zelda if you ask me (even if I did prefer TP aiming). But when it comes to a competitive FPS, "slower" is a big deal. I don't know how much it will matter for Metroid Blast, because I don't know how deep the game is and/or whether anyone will it very seriously. Slower aiming may even benefit the game if it's a slower paced game (like the original Goldeneye). But I think it's a little worrysome if it becomes a trend, especially if Nintendo ends up making a full-fledged competetive FPS in an effort to try to capture that "core" market. M+ aiming would not fly in COD, in my opinion.

Nickoten

Neo Member
That's weird, cause I've heard report stating the exact opposite.

Maybe its both?

It's entirely possible that there's an option setting. Maybe they set it up with different options chosen in different places to gauge reaction and see which would be best to set as the default for the American version?

Katzii

Maybe they'll censor that in Germany like they did with the slot machines in one of the recent Pokémon games lol :D

(Because gambling is illegal and obviously you become addicted to gambling when playing a slot machine-type minigame in Pokémon ...but buying dozens of Pokémon games that are all the same and often come out in color variations is not an issue :D)

I can't remember which it was (I want to say HeartGold/SoulSilver), but I think it was the case everywhere except Japan; I imported my copies from the States and had that silly Voltorb Flip game.

Shiggy

SS didn't need regular calibration as long as you actually paid attention to the damn tutorial.

And as long as you played in a dark room without any bright light sources...shitty automatic sensor bar recentering...
Wii Sports Resort at least allowed you to disable that, but the swordfighting in that game was much more fun altogether anyway.

And as long as you played in a dark room without any bright light sources...shitty automatic sensor bar recentering...
Wii Sports Resort at least allowed you to disable that, but the swordfighting in that game was much more fun altogether anyway.

Not even that. I feel like the vast majority of people complaining about SS controls didn't realize it recenters everytime you go into a menu. It's not just randomly massively drifting

kunonabi

Not even that. I feel like the vast majority of people complaining about SS controls didn't realize it recenters everytime you go into a menu. It's not just randomly massively drifting

The real problem is people aren't pointing at the center of the screen before pressing the aim button. It uses that initial position of the wiimote to create a center reference point. I guess some gamers are just too hardcore to actually read.

Having demo'd a few different modes in Metroid Blast, I will say that the responsiveness of the WM+ aiming felt like a step up from SS (which I never really had to wrestle with), and certainly served the purposes of that portion of Nintendo Land. The deathmatch game is all about getting around quickly, holding cover, grabbing powerups and finding your windows of opportunity. It was fun

AzaK

The real problem is people aren't pointing at the center of the screen before pressing the aim button. It uses that initial position of the wiimote to create a center reference point. I guess some gamers are just too hardcore to actually read.

Exactly. Once you knew that, then basically the thing worked absolutely flawlessly.

Top Bottom