• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - New Nintendo Land details from ONM magazine

Nintendoland_Games.jpg

Middle three are multiplayer only. Three on the left are multiplayer or singleplayer, the rest are singleplayer only.

It's insane that Nintendo didn't include CPU controlled characters or online for this game.

It's insane that Nintendo didn't include CPU controlled characters or online for this game.

It would have been nice to have CPU controlled players so you could play alone or fill out a roster if you've only got 3 people playing. I don't think online would work as well since the three multiplayer only games are really leaning on asymmetrical gameplay and would fall apart when everyone isn't together in the same room.

bryanee

Not really. The majority of the game can be played in single player, and the multiplayer only games are clearly designed around local play.

Mario Kart is better in local play but its nice to have the online multiplayer espcially for people like me who dont get the chance to play local multi.

Mario Kart is better in local play but its nice to have the online multiplayer espcially for people like me who dont get the chance to play local multi.
It wouldn't have done any harm including it, but it's not something I'd be very interested in doing. The whole purpose is local players having different perspective as they play each other, playing online seems to defeat the purpose since they can have anything on their screen without the other players seeing it.

Try only to think a game like Sin&Punishment with motionplus aiming, it would have turned from masterpiece to complete garbage at least.

bryanee

It wouldn't have done any harm including it, but it's not something I'd be very interested in doing. The whole purpose is local players having different perspective as they play each other, playing online seems to defeat the purpose since they can have anything on their screen without the other players seeing it.

They would of figured something out in regards to what you can see. It would of just been nice is all. Its Nintendo being Nintendo.

awm8604

Banned
Official Nintendo Magazine Magazine?

I've come around on Nintendo Land. It appears to have more depth than I gave it credit for.

They would of figured something out in regards to what you can see. It would of just been nice is all. Its Nintendo being Nintendo.
I don't know what you mean. There would be nothing to figure out - the players on the other end would either have an entire screen in place of a splitscreen and the GamePad player would still have a GamePad view.
There's nothing to work out, they're just unique games in that it allows asymmetrical multiplayer which would normally only work online, so making it online would kind of take away some of the fun.

It uses M+ aiming because the sensor bar isn't packed in.

Those 3 cents of plastic, 4 cents of wires, and 2 cents of infrared lights are all that separates WiiU from the single greatest Wii achievement.

big_erk

It uses M+ aiming because the sensor bar isn't packed in.

Those 3 cents of plastic, 4 cents of wires, and 2 cents of infrared lights are all that separates WiiU from the single greatest Wii achievement.

Come on. Every damn person in Japan already has a sensor bar, and the American WiiU come with one. EU seems to be the outlier here

Amir0x

Banned
It would have been nice to have CPU controlled players so you could play alone or fill out a roster if you've only got 3 people playing. I don't think online would work as well since the three multiplayer only games are really leaning on asymmetrical gameplay and would fall apart when everyone isn't together in the same room.

What would change about the 'asymmetrical gameplay' if everyone wasn't in the same room? You're not supposed to look at the gamepad anyway if you're the players who are using the wiimotes/controller pro, so the effective gameplay result is the same. One of the players who would be online would be utilizing the abilities typically reserved for the gamepad, and the others would use the wiimotes.

Is there some element I'm missing about that? I'm not the least bit interested in Nintendoland, but I wanted to know if you were just making an excuse for the lack of online or if there is something central about being in the same room when you're utilizing asymmetrical gameplay.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TBH I'm more disappointed with lack of CPU characters than online play. Don't like that 3 of the games will be locked out from people playing alone when they feel like it. Plus being able to add CPU characters to the other games to fill out the roster.

*proud*

I've been wearing this diaper for two days now.

Evilore told me he'd buy me no more and I'd better learn to use the toilet. I save up just enough poo to shit in his $4000 loafers.
goddamn thunder monkey..goddamn..
What would change about the 'asymmetrical gameplay' if everyone wasn't in the same room? You're not supposed to look at the gamepad anyway if you're the players who are using the wiimotes/controller pro, so the effective gameplay result is the same. One of the players who would be online would be utilizing the abilities typically reserved for the gamepad, and the others would use the wiimotes.

Is there some element I'm missing about that? I'm not the least bit interested in Nintendoland, but I wanted to know if you were just making an excuse for the lack of online or if there is something central about being in the same room when you're utilizing asymmetrical gameplay.
It should have online as an option for those that want it. But I cant help but find it a bit silly to setup though. You are trying to find a game and you have the gamepad and Wii remote turned on as 1 player? At the same time? Every game trying to get in you have to pick which remote you are using, unless they have some sort of gamepad lobby and some Wii remote lobby which will offset 1 side. And it would be silly if someone just had a gamepad.When its time to switch to the wii remote theyll just stand there and get kicked out for inactive activity or something. I mean idk how they could make it work without all that hassle.

You're not missing anything, it could functionally work in exactly the same way online as it does locally.
It's just one of those types of multiplayer games where online multiplayer just doesn't seem 'right'. They could have added it and given people the option and it wouldn't have detracted from the package at all, but they're all games which really work properly when everyone is the same room.
Some games are just like that, I'd never think of playing games like Rock Band, Dance Central or Mario Party online either. They'd work, they'd just lose something.

Choosing Motion Plus aiming over infrared makes no sense even if you consider the lack of a Sensor Bar. If a family already has Wii Remotes prior to buying Wii U, then they already have a Sensor Bar. If they didn't, they would just buy that Wii Remote + Nunchuk pack, and that comes with a Sensor Bar.

Nintendo can't honestly expect to disregard the infrared capabilities of the Wii Remote for the entirety of this generation.

I'm personally tired of all the controllers. I think its a mess. I dislike Motion Plus aiming so much that I'm tempted to send an Email to them. Yes, it won't do anything at all, but that fact that I feel compelled to complain to some stranger barely affiliated with Nintendo speaks volumes.

I also think not allowing computer opponents to fill a roster is a mistake. A small one, sure, but a mistake nonetheless.

Wow. Super cheapo.

How the heck does that even make sense to a lamen consumer?

well its not like there arent huge numbers of the chargers already in people homes, yeah nintendo are being cheap but to be honest i'm glad it doesnt, i'm thinking of getting a 3ds for my 6year old son for xmas (most likely an xl) he can just use the charger off my 3ds dont need another one cluttering up the house

Choosing Motion Plus aiming over infrared makes no sense even if you consider the lack of a Sensor Bar. If a family already has Wii Remotes prior to buying Wii U, then they already have a Sensor Bar. If they didn't, they would just buy that Wii Remote + Nunchuk pack, and that comes with a Sensor Bar.

Nintendo can't honestly expect to disregard the infrared capabilities of the Wii Remote for the entirety of this generation.

I'm personally tired of all the controllers. I think its a mess. I dislike Motion Plus aiming so much that I'm tempted to send an Email to them. Yes, it won't do anything at all, but that fact that I feel compelled to complain to some stranger barely affiliated with Nintendo speaks volumes.

I also think not allowing computer opponents to fill a roster is a mistake. A small one, sure, but a mistake nonetheless.

a large proportion of wii owners will probably sell their wii when they get a wii u, including the sensor bar and a remote, if they've got any sense they'll probably keep their extra remotes so are likely to have a remote but no sensor bar

a large proportion of wii owners will probably sell their wii when they get a wii u, including the sensor bar and a remote, if they've got any sense they'll probably keep their extra remotes so are likely to have a remote but no sensor bar
I suppose that's a possibility, but I really don't think Nintendo will/should disregard infrared functionality for the entire generation just for those consumers. Even if they sold their Wii, wouldn't they keep their Wii games? Some of those would require the Sensor Bar.

I suppose that's a possibility, but I really don't think Nintendo will/should disregard infrared functionality for the entire generation just for those consumers. Even if they sold their Wii, wouldn't they keep their Wii games? Some of those would require the Sensor Bar.

i guess a lot will probaby sell a job lot of games in with the wii, personally i'm just throwing in all the games i dont want but im getting the premium so get a new sensor bar anyway

Excellent. So the lack of infrared aiming in Metroid Blast may not be due to the lack of a Sensor Bar. Well, I can't see how Nintendo would continue to choose Motion Plus over infrared.

thinking about it could it be to save the batteries? with the IR pointer on wiimote battery life halves and i assume the M+ gyros use quite a bit of battery

Lyude77

TBH I'm more disappointed with lack of CPU characters than online play. Don't like that 3 of the games will be locked out from people playing alone when they feel like it. Plus being able to add CPU characters to the other games to fill out the roster.

I agree, Kaijima. I always like multiplayer modes with bots much more than those without. If something like Super Smash Bros or an FPS doesn't have bots, my interest wanes dramatically.

Hopefully the single-player games will be really good.

Amir0x

Banned
You're not missing anything, it could functionally work in exactly the same way online as it does locally.
It's just one of those types of multiplayer games where online multiplayer just doesn't seem 'right'. They could have added it and given people the option and it wouldn't have detracted from the package at all, but they're all games which really work properly when everyone is the same room.
Some games are just like that, I'd never think of playing games like Rock Band, Dance Central or Mario Party online either. They'd work, they'd just lose something.

Alright, I'll have to take your word on what they'd "lose"... or whether it seems "right", for that matter. I just thought there was some critical functionality that'd be impossible to replicate online in regards to asymmetrical gameplay. Didn't know if there was something that would make it impossible otherwise. Thanks.

It should have online as an option for those that want it. But I cant help but find it a bit silly to setup though. You are trying to find a game and you have the gamepad and Wii remote turned on as 1 player? At the same time? Every game trying to get in you have to pick which remote you are using, unless they have some sort of gamepad lobby and some Wii remote lobby which will offset 1 side. And it would be silly if someone just had a gamepad.When its time to switch to the wii remote theyll just stand there and get kicked out for inactive activity or something. I mean idk how they could make it work without all that hassle.

It wouldn't be difficult. There would be a Gamepad rotation; it'd go down the list and the game would indicate when your turn is coming up to switch the controller. If someone just had a gamepad, then they can play as Gamepad and spectate when it's off turn, and the teams would rebalance for the round. I'm sure there's even more elegant solutions than this thought.

FUCK THAT. God dammit, that's like the biggest complaint I had with SS controls. IR is so much better.

I don't dislike M+ aiming as much as folk, but it's nowhere near as tight or responsive as IR pointer aiming. Literally the best feature of the remote, and really no reason not to use it at all.

Hell, Red Steel 2 managed to use both.

It means players don't have to point the Wiimote at the screen(which makes it easier to have multiple players in a small room), & it gives a longer range than pointer controls too.

Dr.Hadji

So what is the problem with Motion+ aiming. You guys were crying over it in SS but I could never see where you were coming from.

-KRS-

So no Pokemon representation in Nintendo Land so far? Wow.

Yeah that is kind of weird now that you mention it. Maybe it didn't fit the style of this game?

So what is the problem with Motion+ aiming. You guys were crying over it in SS but I could never see where you were coming from.

From my experience with it it's just not as responsive and fast as IR pointing. Not that IR pointing is the bastion of accuracy and responsiveness mind you, but M+ is one step further down IMO.

From my experience with it it's just not as responsive and fast as IR pointing. Not that IR pointing is the bastion of accuracy and responsiveness mind you, but M+ is one step further down IMO.
Mouse>>>Wiimote>Analog stick>>>>>M+ aiming.

I've always preferred the Wiimote over analog sticks, but could always understand why someone else wouldn't. You lose turning speed for pointer accuracy. But both are a metric fuckton more reliable than M+.

Top Bottom