• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst designed level you've experienced?

For me, it's Duncan's factory from Mother 1.

WARNING HUGE PICTURE
http://local-static0.forum-files.fobby.net/forum_attachments/0001/4445/DuncanFactory.png

This place is ridiculously huge. It's so big, it's bigger than most of the of the games maps put together. And you go there pretty early in the game.

The place is ridiculous. Every part of the place looks the same so it's pretty damn easy to get lost. If you go in the wrong direction from the moment you enter the place, you're basically screwed. The monsters aren't too bad, but you'll get worn down pretty quickly, especially since you had JUST met your second party member, who starts off at level 1.

Mileena

Banned
both from Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward HAS LOST IT!)

gg6P7uO.jpg

aLhKmh8.jpg

Worse than abysmal. I can't find the proper word for these two.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm pretty sure Water Temple is gonna be mentioned a few times.

This wasn't bad design. It was difficult, yes, but not poorly designed.

This factory monstrosity is bad design. I never played Mother 1, and now I never want to.

Het_Nkik

Every level in Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams (developed by Treasure). They're like this:

Occasionally like this:

____________________________________|------|________________

And that's all, folks.

Skyzard

Banned
both from Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward HAS LOST IT!)

gg6P7uO.jpg

aLhKmh8.jpg

Worse than abysmal. I can't find the proper word for these two.

I'm not sure competitively but I loved these levels for the change of atmosphere. Much more open, not quite MW1 but good stuff.

All of the RTS segments in Brutal Legend. Separated and in specific sections of the world so I think they can count as levels. If not Sonic 06.

Final chase mission in Assassin's Creed 3. GIANT PIECE OF SHIT

It's not really well designed per se but I don't understand the frustration people had with this. They clearly layout a pathway on the left side to avoid the explosions. I made it on the 3rd try, the first two I didn't die but restarted because I got grazed.

NotLiquid

DnLsCz9.jpg

There's nothing worse than badly designed levels in games that actually feel good to play, and Sonic 2 is chock full of them in my opinion, inspiring some of the most cheap level design ideas that persists into even modern Sonic games. But none of them are as bad as Metropolis Zone, which is a reason enough for me to consider it the worst Classic Sonic game in the entire trilogy.

The entire zone is a clusterfuck of a maze with bad artistic design and awful platforming gimmicks, as well as terrible enemies such as the preying mantis robots, the stars that explode or worst of all the shellcrackers that you can't attack in any area when they have their claws exposed. To add more salt to the wound, it is the ONLY stage in the game that has three acts, as if the designers were deliberately stretching it in order to laugh at the misery. If I don't have Super Sonic by the time I get to this level I pretty much restart the game since I can't be bothered to go through with it.

Also the boss is fucking retarded too.

SkyOdin

Most dungeons in Quest 64. Among the many game design sins committed by that mage was a penchant for hideously long, boring dungeons. Long linear caves that never end, and the most important rewards are these tiny little spirits that are hard to see and easy to miss, so you need to check these massive areas thoroughly.

The NES TMNT Dam level deserves all of the hate it gets.

Ephemeral Fantasia had a pretty lousy layout for everything. The entire game was played on a timer, Majora's Mask style, but the world had a confusing layout and had random encounters inside otherwise "safe" areas such as castle dining rooms.

I feel like I should be able to come up with more. Give me a minute...

joe2187

Banned
RE6's ROOMBAS OF DEATH

seriously of all the shit things in RE6 (even though I actually really like the game) this particular part stood out the most as the shittiest and strangest part of the game.

You're in a factory...that is creating BOW's and you get locked in a room with these sinister looking stasis tanks holding god knows what sort of vile creatures and suddenly!!!

You are swarmed by roombas with C4 strapped onto them that spawn from underneath the tanks, to top off this shit pile of a room you're forced to do a quicktime chain sequence to difuse the security alarm while your Partner distracts the Roombas of doom, this of course turns into some sort of three stooges comedy.

Mileena

Banned
Wow, both of those are my favorite maps.

*spawn in Derail*
start moving forward with my SMG
sniped from ????
killcam shows idiot prone in the snow 400 yards away sniping
*spawn in Derail*

repeat till I ragequit that piece of shit Infinity Ward grabbed from the toilet and called a map

Skyzard

Banned
*spawn in Derail*
start moving forward with my SMG
sniped from ????
killcam shows idiot prone in the snow 400 yards away sniping
*spawn in Derail*

repeat till I ragequit that piece of shit Infinity Ward grabbed from the toilet and called a map

It's a sniping map :p Run for cover, get some smokes ! .. and pick sniper :p

Loofy

Every single area in a JRPG that involves falling down cliffs like a plinko game and climbing back up and trying again.

Either that favela level in MW2's campaign where you can't see shit because it's all brown and dudes are popping up everywhere and shooting you from every angle, or that first OG Loc mission in San Andreas where they expect you to go on a bike chase through new areas of town at high speed while your bike skill is still crap (so you crash or fall off every time you tap anything), leading up to a gun fight against five dudes with no cover.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
DnLsCz9.jpg

There's nothing worse than badly designed levels in games that actually feel good to play, and Sonic 2 is chock full of them in my opinion, inspiring some of the most cheap level design ideas that persists into even modern Sonic games. But none of them are as bad as Metropolis Zone, which is a reason enough for me to consider it the worst Classic Sonic game in the entire trilogy.

The entire zone is a clusterfuck of a maze with bad artistic design and awful platforming gimmicks, as well as terrible enemies such as the preying mantis robots, the stars that explode or worst of all the shellcrackers that you can't attack in any area when they have their claws exposed. To add more salt to the wound, it is the ONLY stage in the game that has three acts, as if the designers were deliberately stretching it in order to laugh at the misery. If I don't have Super Sonic by the time I get to this level I pretty much restart the game since I can't be bothered to go through with it.

Also the boss is fucking retarded too.
What? That level is awesome, and it features the best music of all the franchise.

It's hard, I give you that, but bad? Not at all!

Riposte

RE6's ROOMBAS OF DEATH

seriously of all the shit things in RE6 (even though I actually really like the game) this particular part stood out the most as the shittiest and strangest part of the game.

You're in a factory...that is creating BOW's and you get locked in a room with these sinister looking stasis tanks holding god knows what sort of vile creatures and suddenly!!!

You are swarmed by roombas with C4 strapped onto them that spawn from underneath the tanks, to top off this shit pile of a room you're forced to do a quicktime chain sequence to difuse the security alarm while your Partner distracts the Roombas of doom, this of course turns into some sort of three stooges comedy.

The appeal of that is solely the indirect player vs player. Most people, especially now, won't get to experience it that way.

Aleph

One of the levels in Halo: Combat Evolved (can't remember which one exactly). It was so repetitive, that I couldn't tell if I was going backwards or forwards in the game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
For me, it's Duncan's factory from Mother 1.

WARNING HUGE PICTURE
http://local-static0.forum-files.fobby.net/forum_attachments/0001/4445/DuncanFactory.png

This place is ridiculously huge. It's so big, it's bigger than most of the of the games maps put together. And you go there pretty early in the game.

The place is ridiculous. Every part of the place looks the same so it's pretty damn easy to get lost. If you go in the wrong direction from the moment you enter the place, you're basically screwed. The monsters aren't too bad, but you'll get worn down pretty quickly, especially since you had JUST met your second party member, who starts off at level 1.

Looks like the dark world mountain in Zelda alttp.

All of the RTS segments in Brutal Legend. Separated and in specific sections of the world so I think they can count as levels. If not Sonic 06.

It's not really well designed per se but I don't understand the frustration people had with this. They clearly layout a pathway on the left side to avoid the explosions. I made it on the 3rd try, the first two I didn't die but restarted because I got grazed.

Nah, Brutal Legend has Awesome RTS mechanics. HAHAHAHA.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
bubsy600.jpg

I know its easy to choose a level in a bad game, and while Bubsy 3D is terrible all around, it has the WORST platforming stages I think I have ever seen. The level layouts are atrocious (among other things). Which level? Every level. They almost seem randomly generated.

Probably something from Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. It's been so long though that I no longer remember specific levels, only pain and anguish.

joe2187

Banned
The appeal of that is solely the indirect player vs player. Most people, especially now, won't get to experience it that way.

I understand that, but it was poorly executed and the roombas were just insulting to the player.

I wanted to fight BOWs, I dont care if it was just a swarm of bloodshots or a couple of those smoking titty monsters at least could have come up with something more exciting than a bunch of exploding vaccums and a QTE

SkyOdin

Oh yeah, that's right, Phantasy Star 2's dungeons. All of them. Mostly because of the horrendous camera which only scrolls when you are practically touching the edge of the screen, but the labyrinthine layouts were something else. Not to mention that most dungeons had these poor tilesets that made it nearly impossible to tell apart the up and down staircases, leaving you to guess whether which floor you ended up on. Add to that the game's propensity for requiring the player to drop through pit-traps to progress.

Heck, there is an entire late-game dungeon dedicated to being the biggest "plinko game" (as some mentioned above) in RPG history. There must be a hundred routes through that dungeon, and you need to manually go through every one to find your destination.

Never before have I had to consult so many maps online to beat a game without ripping out my own hair in frustration.

tonitoni

LOL No Sir.

Well I always had lots of fun in both the library as well as cortana, as those levels require very different approaches to combat from the rest of the games (I often like to just rush through without killing too many flood), and also a good sense of orientation to not get lost. Halo 4 though was so boring and uninteresting compared to previous games, just completely linear corridor babysit mission after plz protect idiotic humans mission.

Riposte

I understand that, but it was poorly executed and the roombas were just insulting to the player.

I wanted to fight BOWs, I dont care if it was just a swarm of bloodshots or a couple of those smoking titty monsters at least could have come up with something more exciting than a bunch of exploding vaccums and a QTE

It could have been better, but the whole point is that it is a gun ping-pong match between players.

Top Bottom