• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You can bet it.

windows_vista_logo.jpg

how much wast spent on windows ME? That is shitter than vista

Amir0x

Banned
NeoGAF is going to absolutely implode in on itself in a spectacular gravitational singularity during E3. It's sure to be an emotional roller coaster.

I can't wait

MJEatingPopcorn.GIF

The roller coaster has really already ended for Microsoft, technically. The only thing that would change where it ended up is if they announced an end to their anti-consumer practices, which seems highly unlikely to me at this stage. Because unless they announce an end to that, the rest of their show is essentially a blank for me and many, many others. They can announce they'll be buying out Sony and Nintendo combined and without a change to those policies, all I would hear is some variation of Charlie Brown listening to any adult.

BigDug13

Working really well for Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8.

I think it's more the name "Windows" hurts their other products. If they called this next system "Windows Box" or something like that, it would probably hurt them as Windows as a name doesn't inspire that level of confidence in consumers these days.

I hope someone writes a book one of these days about what went on behind the scenes with MS leadership. I think it would be a fascinating read.

Microsoft is a software company. Sony has better engineers and they've had experience creating multiple, and even complicated, pieces of hardware.

Yeah yeah, but they deal with hardware now and have been since the original xbox (practically called it xbox1 for fuck sakes). I think its about time they hire a few engineers who know what the fuck their doing.

For me its very simple now, ps4 at launch wait and see on Xbone. Fuck that, i aint touching this shit on day one.

hesido

Straight answers regarding all their screwups? Yeah, I don't think so. They're gonna bring the spin.

Well they did cancel the media roundup after their E3 conference (acc. to the link in my post). So no, they won't be able to spin it. They seem to want to avoid it all together.

I hope someone writes a book one of these days about what went on behind the scenes with MS leadership. I think it would be a fascinating read.

Sony caught everyone with their pants down. A lot of people didn't feel like the PS4 was going to launch in 2013. A lot of people felt it was going to be a spring of 2014 launch at the earliest because of the PS3's 199.99+ price tag and the software library. When Sony came out swinging with 8 GB of GDRR5 RAM and announced they would be releasing this year everyone was taken aback. Microsoft did not expect this whatsoever.

NeoUltima

Course not. As everyone can see, they're now so pathetic they're throwing fat sacks of cash around E3 just so pubs/devs won't show viable multiplatform games on PS4. That's how far they've stooped to try to deceive the gaming community because they fucked up so horrendously. There's really no spinning it.

Wait, really? Or am I missing sarcasm here? Cause that seems crazy.

Jhriad

Well they did cancel the media roundup after their E3 conference (acc. to the link in my post). So no, they won't be able to spin it. They seem to want to avoid it all together.

Probably a smart move. This'll just get buried in E3 news and reveals and no one in the press will remember to call them on it.

I don't think it is. No matter how shitty the console is, MS can afford to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into advertising, and they will sell to all the people who are susceptible to advertising. They are good at doing that.

Windows phone and Microsoft Surface would love to know how this works.

EinSof

I'm looking forward to everyone eating crow when Microsoft actually puts out a good system.

I used to love coming to neogaf but now it's constant negativity with everyone jumping aboard rumors and getting a kick out of acting that they are 100% true and that everything sucks.

You're all overreacting

I'm with you buddy. People seem to go crazy about rumors. Its just rumors. People just need to chill. Getting all worked up about it now isn't going to change anything.

Quixz

Someone should just put their foot down and cancel this shit and wait till next year!

Regardless I think Sony has it in the bag anyway!

Gestault

how much wast spent on windows ME? That is shitter than vista

Yeah, I was gonna say. ME was legitimately a bad product. Vista just had a seven-month period of lacking some driver support (which was still better than other OSs on the market aside from the decked-out XP) and massive waves of users installing it on below-recommended spec systems. The OS itself was fine. The dev-side frustrations were more understandable, if short lived, but ME was atrocious. It's the best example of a botched OS product.

Don't forget Zune!

It was actually my favorite MP3 player at the time.

I didn't forget it (I had this discussion with another poster a week or so back) just didn't want to turn into a list war with the corpse of microsoft's failed hardware ventures.

MS does well in spaces where they have an established monopoly (windows), or can leverage that monopoly (Office, Internet Explorer) but outside of that, they've been spectacularly terrible with making inroads with new hardware product, piles of money or no.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking the success of the 360 was more lucky accident than design.

I'm with you buddy. People seem to go crazy about rumors. Its just rumors. People just need to chill. Getting all worked up about it now isn't going to change anything.

Its just rumors yes, but to every rumor there's a little bit of truth. And after the last xbox which had a ridiculous death rate, and now these rumors of "troubles" could you blame anyone if they didnt just jump in without really thinking about it first?

After the last xbox, we have the right to be skeptical. I went through 5 myself.

1-D_FTW

Somebody posted this rumor in another thread. Seems like MS spent a boatload of money paying off third parties to only show their titles at MS' booth. Pretty pathetic if true. Because it implies they didn't want bad E3 press from people comparing versions.

Its just rumors yes, but to every rumor there's a little bit of truth. And after the last xbox which had a ridiculous death rate, and now these rumors of "troubles" could you blame anyone if they didnt just jump in without really thinking about it first?

After the last xbox, we have the right to be skeptical. I went through 5 myself.

And with some rumors, it's all truth. This was the same problem with Wii U. We had a good year where people did nothing but shoot the messenger, even if it was the absolute truth in the end.

Alchemy

They would know at a better price. Pro surface at the price of the cheap one, youve got a winner. The problem is MS think theyre apple.

Aren't Window Phones pretty solid devices for $99 usually? I don't think price is the issue, its functionality. People aren't completely stupid and susceptible to marketing, they at least do some basic research into what their needs are.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Someone should just put their foot down and cancel this shit and wait till next year!

From a business perspective, why should they do that? They would only lose more money. A timlely release, even with a limited amount of shippable units, would benefit them more. The release of a further gimped XBone won't change their strategic position either. Their console is already substantially weaker compared to the PS4.

All argued from a business perspective, mind you. But MS is a business first and foremost.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Working really well for Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8.

These are all markets that have either adopted into the mature ecosystems of Microsoft's competitors and have no reason to be early adopters of Microsoft's immature system(Phones and Tablets); or they are industries that rely on consistency due to simple needs of the software and custom programs and are loathe to upgrade every few years (Windows 8). In the latter case, Gaming Enthusiasts gravitate toward the newer iterations due to Microsoft walling of new versions of Direct X. But you would be surprised that large companies, the largest consumers of licences, are still happily running versions of Windows XP; often with critical software not supported in newer Windows iterations. That's why Microsoft was forced to continually support XP after their roadmaps assumed it's obsolescence.

Microsoft's Xbox Division is the only division where they can possibly force a new system upon a large segment of consumers.

Pennywise

I don't think it is. No matter how shitty the console is, MS can afford to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into advertising, and they will sell to all the people who are susceptible to advertising. They are good at doing that.

That won't work everywhere.
Money isn't gonna solve their problems alltogether.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Reality check.

Different architecture vs similar architecture. Similar architecture will make even the sloppiest ports seem decent by today's standards.

Still my PC wipes the floor with even those ports. GTA4 looks great when modded. Then again I'm sure you think this is horrible with better framerates.

Check out:
Are These Real Photos or GTA IV Screenshots?

We fucking get it bro. PC is super awesome!

No one gives 2 hoots in a console thread.

Gestault

If the result of all this is a stable product that's less powerful than the PS4 but more powerful than the Wii U, has a few more features in the "service" category than competing systems, and has a nice portfolio of popular titles, assuming its marketed well, I think Microsoft would be fine. Assuming the behind-the-scenes leaks are accurate, that would be a "best case scenario," which is important to keep in mind.

I have no sense of if that's possible at this point. There's certainly been more actions clearly in the "incompetent" column than I generally see from Microsoft, so that's something to keep in mind, but there's definitely a lot of gleeful negativity here all pushing in the same direction. I'll happily watch the fires burn if that's what happens, but I also won't get so upset that I question the intentions of people who disagree with me about rumors. I see a bit of that here.

Some people think they can, but history shows they cannot. Xbox 1 and GameCube games often ran and looked better than PS2, despite PS2 being the undisputed king of the videogame landscape at the time.

Microsoft does not have that much leverage to force all publishers to do this, they do not control the video game industry, far from it.

Third party games will look and run better, how much, depends on the developer. The best looking games for both consoles will obviously be first party stuff.

Third parties are not going to artificially handicap their games just to appease Microsoft, for no other reason than they had a beer with Don Mattrick at E3?

Spot on. Microsoft is currently in third or tied for second worldwide, depending on who you believe.

This would be one thing if the xbox was equally viable among all territories (as nintendo and sony tend to be) but it's ONLY dominant in the US and the UK- Sony is simply too large to ignore in the rest of the EU, and Microsoft is a complete non entity in Japan. The 360 is basically the Sega Genesis of the 7th Generation.

No third party in their right mind is going to gimp their titles for Microsoft when there are that many people who don't consider the xbox a good option.

Evil Beaver

Reach is the best Halo game.

The only thing I liked about that game was that I could play the game as a female SPARTAN and the scenes with Jorge.

Back on topic! Despite all the negativity and bad press MS has received since the XB1 reveal you guys know that system is going to sell well. Your average Joe doesn't know crap about ESRAM issues or downgraded GPUS thus isn't concerned.

They'll turn on the TV and see Dorritos and Mt. Dew commercials for Halo 5 and COD: Ghost Dog and be bombarded with "XB1 to the exxxtreme bro!" You guys know that MS will come out swinging with their XB1 marketing campaign.

Amir0x

Banned

Two of our most trusted neoGAF insiders have said that Microsoft is reacting hard to what has went down, and so they're going to try to dismantle PS4's image as a "for gamers" console by paying publishers and devs to not show their multiplatform titles during E3 on a PS4. In other words, even if the multiplatform version is coming out for the PS4, they won't be able to show them at E3, thus contributing to the perception that somehow Sony is getting significantly less support for PS4 than Microsoft is "for gamers."

Of course, I'm sure multiplatform games will slip through - they can't possibly pay everyone - but it's extremely telling how they're choosing to spend their money. Rather than do the thing everyone wants, which is end the anti-consumer nonsense, they'll spend their time trying to deceive everyone instead. That should say it all about Microsoft since this year started

QaaQer

If the result of all this is a stable product that's less powerful than the PS4 but more powerful than the Wii U, has a few more features in the "service" category than competing systems, and has a nice portfolio of popular titles, assuming its marketed well, I think Microsoft would be fine. Assuming the behind-the-scenes leaks are accurate, that would be a "best case scenario," which is important to keep in mind.

I have no sense of if that's possible at this point. There's certainly been more actions clearly in the "incompetent" column than I generally see from Microsoft, so that's something to keep in mind, but there's definitely a lot of gleeful negativity here all pushing in the same direction. I'll happily watch the fires burn if that's what happens, but I also won't get so upset that I question the intentions of people who disagree with me about rumors. I see a bit of that here.

Because there is no way of knowing who is behind a post, shills end up poisoning the well. Regular people become cynical and either disengage or stop participating at all as nobody likes feeling manipulated. Astroturfers ruin communities, & in fact, in rare instances that is the goal.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Two of our most trusted neoGAF insiders have said that Microsoft is reacting hard to what has went down, and so they're going to try to dismantle PS4's image as a "for gamers" console by paying publishers and devs to not show their multiplatform titles during E3 on a PS4. In other words, even if the multiplatform version is coming out for the PS4, they won't be able to show them at E3, thus contributing to the perception that somehow Sony is getting significantly less support for PS4 than Microsoft is "for gamers."

Of course, I'm sure multiplatform games will slip through - they can't possibly pay everyone - but it's extremely telling how they're choosing to spend their money. Rather than do the thing everyone wants, which is end the anti-consumer nonsense, they'll spend their time trying to deceive everyone instead. That should say it all about Microsoft since this year started

that sounds really fucking disgusting

Damn, how did I miss this? Incredibly shitty. Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom