• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

L.O.R.D

m5zn_e29f820fc2930b9.jpg

Kemal86

It's not uncommon at all for devkits to differ significantly in hardware from retail units, especially in physical form factor, storage space, networking, and memory...but a completely different video card solution is weird. PS3 Devkits had significantly more memory and are hulking behemoths, for example. source: used to test games

Vestal

Gold Member
I read all your posts in this thread. The XBOX360 in the confided space you mentioned is also a dummy - the real console is, again, in the closet beneath, with additional fans.

On an entirely different note, I wonder why people keep answering to Vestal. His post record shows he's a huge MS fanboy, even defending their DRM procedure. He's just desperately trying to do some damage control whilst proving little knowledge about actual game development, or common sense for that matter. The comparison to cell phone SDKs alone gave him away.
with a user name like that I shouldn't even bother but why not

you do know that currently you can code and run xbla games on x86 hardware right?? It is called xna. Look at that a layer that communicates with the x86 or whatever target platform. Now a layer like this can be manipulated to limit some of the hardware functionality or force emulation of some functionality to make a program work.

xna from what I understand will no longer be used for xboxone going forward. But in essence it represents a robust set of dev tools similar to what you can expect from the new SDK.

as far as the MS fanboy crap, not a fanboy since I own both hd twins currently and will be owning the next two eventually. However as of late yes you could say I defend some of MS policies. But I am in this thread because this particular issue is a freaking witch hunt.

I'm all for people discussing real issues like DRM, phone in paywalls or what not. However this is not anything like that. This is making assumptions because of a picture and then blowing it completely out of proportion.

outsida

When I found out the game was Lococycle I thought the whole point was moot. The game isn't something to drool over graphically. It just makes people wonder. Even if it was the PC version, was Titan the PC version, was Battlefield the PC version?

It wouldn't surprise me if it was. But then again none of those games look so great that they would need to fake what they were playing on on some smoke and mirrors styled stuff, especially Lococycle. You don't need the type of graphics card in that comp to run Lococycle I'm sure.

Vestal

Gold Member
hold on. That's actually kind of interesting.

could it be possible that this big machine is acting like the cloud and the box on the right in the other pictures is actually the dev kit??

.maybe a cloud server for all the machines on the row??

L.O.R.D

could it be possible that this big machine is acting like the cloud and the box on the right in the other pictures is actually the dev kit??

now you mention it, maybe you are right
maybe this PC is acting like virtual cloud to make the Xbox one work

Vestal

Gold Member
now you mention it, maybe you are right
maybe this PC is acting like virtual cloud to make the Xbox one work
yeah I mean why else would that be there?? Would make no sense to put a cloud fixture or sticker inside a cabinet unless its to label something

Vestal

Gold Member
ops, some one tricked me in the fake photo, my bad
lol. That was a damn good PhotoShop.

actually its not a good PhotoShop. Zoom in and you can see white pixels all over the top of the PC.

however the theory is still sound if the small box on the other pictures is present

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? Your type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

Oh my

Karak

LocoCycle specific situation apparently, though I'm sure others devs have made the same decision. Not a huge deal then.

And the developers of Ryse made it clear they were on the final hardware. Which I guess bodes well because the game may not look fun but it does look graphically good. To me at least.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
We don't really know what Xbox One games will look like at best yet. Even if they use AMD CPUs, which are generally weaker, they are desktop CPUs at 4+ GHz. And the GPU is likely using GDDR5.

Glasshole

Banned
yeah I mean why else would that be there?? Would make no sense to put a cloud fixture or sticker inside a cabinet unless its to label something

Jumping onto every single platform of hope, no matter how small it is. I see.

you do know that currently you can code and run xbla games on x86 hardware right?? It is called xna. Look at that a layer that communicates with the x86 or whatever target platform. Now a layer like this can be manipulated to limit some of the hardware functionality or force emulation of some functionality to make a program work.

xna from what I understand will no longer be used for xboxone going forward. But in essence it represents a robust set of dev tools similar to what you can expect from the new SDK.

Regarding your XBLA game comparison, I'm really speechless. Now that makes real dev kits useless, doesnt it? Hooray for the magic fairy sauce! Wait, what? You still need dev kits for bigger games? Blimey!

What you're trying to say doesn't even make sense. Whilst you're typing "XBLA", don't you realize it's not the same in the slightest? Its just as bad as the cellphone comparison.

I'm gonna follow my own recommendation and not reply to you further. You may want to delude yourself into thinking MS has not fucked up big time here ( I own a surface and a windows phone btw ), but I don't want to have anything ton do with it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Also the implications of how quick there will be XboxOne and PS4 emulators. Basically you just have to get the OS working and that's it.

This picture was shot at e3

Look closely at the card in the desktop.

Apparently the demo units for the Xbox aren't using dev kits that are at the same level as what the Xbox specs are going to be. They are using PC's that have an Nvidia GTX card inside. For anyone that doesn't know about graphic cards and the technology differences, an Nvidia GTX 700 card should be much more powerful than the GPU in what will be the Xbox One.
Guess this photographer managed to evade the Microsoft security force.

CLEEK

Of course not. You're clutching at straws now to try and spin this in a positive light.

At the very least, Azure servers just offer CPU offloading. They don't have top end GPUs in them.

The simple fact is, certain Xbone games were just the PC versions running on hardware several times more powerful than the console. They might as well have just prerendered everything, Killzone 2 style.

Vestal

Gold Member
Jumping onto every single platform of hope, no matter how small it is. I see.

Regarding your XBLA game comparison, I'm really speechless. Now that makes real dev kits useless, doesnt it? Hooray for the magic fairy sauce! Wait, what? You still need dev kits for bigger games? Blimey!

What you're trying to say doesn't even make sense. Whilst you're typing "XBLA", don't you realize it's not the same in the slightest? Its just as bad as the cellphone comparison.

I'm gonna follow my own recommendation and not reply to you further. You may want to delude yourself into thinking MS has not fucked up big time here ( I own a surface and a windows phone btw ), but I don't want to have anything ton do with it.

Umm look at the pictures ffs you would have drawn the same conclusion if presented with that.. If you look further down it was confirmed that the "cloud" was placed there through a shop. Even then due to the other pictures posted you could speculate(like we all are) that this could be a cloud server and the dev kits are the smaller boxes in the other pictures posted here.

Regarding the rest. XNA was still emulation, off course you will still need Dev Kits. Emulation will never ever == Actual hardware.

My reason for bringing XNA up is that in fact they did build a layer through XNA for playing games on a PC. In XNAs case it was a layer that was able to compile for both X86 and PowerPC(xbox360) targets. Not as robust as the actual dev kit since the architecture was so different from that of a PC. Now you are developing for the same base target which is x64. This obviously alleviates part of the problem of emulation but not all of it since you still have custom hardware compared to standard hardware.

modnar

Neo Member
As I pointed out before, if they're simply demoing some games using off-the-shelf computer setups spec'd to match the system, what's the second piece of hardware in each cabinet?

yGTPC6q.png

The left and middle cabinets I'm 98% sure are the box for the Polk Audio UltraFocus 8000 headphones. It's facing the camera the same way this guy holds it in this unboxing: http://youtu.be/lRXzWStaynA?t=1m27s

Same headphones that this guy is wearing:

51bb25a432f85.jpg

Vestal

Gold Member
Of course not. You're clutching at straws now to try and spin this in a positive light.

At the very least, Azure servers just offer CPU offloading. They don't have top end GPUs in them.

The simple fact is, certain Xbone games were just the PC versions running on hardware several times more powerful than the console. They might as well have just prerendered everything, Killzone 2 style.

Yup straws, poster above me nailed it

Anyways like someone else stated earlier this was for LocoCycle not really the pinnacle of graphic prowess.. Which would even further work with the argument of it being developed on a normal PC since it is an XBLA title.. Indie games usually are not developed on Devkits.

Nibiru

Banned

Why would the game crash to a windows 7 hp branded desktop if it was just the "cloud" for all the consoles o_O It crashed to pc desktop because it was playing on the desktop.

belmonkey

Someone I talked to said that the GTX 700 series has led lights, but his GTX 680 has the same "Geforce GTX" text without the lights. So is it probably a 680 instead of a 7xx?

Vestal

Gold Member
Why would the game crash to a windows 7 hp branded desktop if it was just the "cloud" for all the consoles o_O It crashed to pc desktop because it was playing on the desktop.

Scroll to the top of this page and you will understand the confusion.

Sober

No one saying all, we know Ryse was running on real XB1s. I bet all non-multiplatform games were. No one is going to make a PC engine for a game never going to the PC (ie. FM5).
If Ryse was actually running on an actual XB1 and not a PC, does that make it more or less disappointing at this point?

Kurdel

Banned
What do you guys expect? Early builds of games being played of PCs have been the norm forever. They probay got a bulk deal with HP for gaming PCs with top of the line Nvidia cards, and didn't think the nerds would notice.

Also the implications of how quick there will be XboxOne and PS4 emulators. Basically you just have to get the OS working and that's it.

No, that isn't the case.

This is clearly a PC version of the game. Period.

Why go through the hassle of making a build of the game for the Xbone, then building an Xbone emulator just for demo purposes?

atbigelow

Nothing to see here. Standard practice. Unfinished hardware is unfinished. You can bet your butt Sony didn't have legit PS4's running all demos.

hirokazu

Guys, the only reason they're running on PC is to emulate the daily Xbox Live DRM check since these things are not connected to the Internet. How embarrassing would it be if your demo units refused to run your games!

Non-story here.

TheD

The Detective
Guys, the only reason they're running on PC is to emulate the daily Xbox Live DRM check since these things are not connected to the Internet. How embarrassing would it be if your demo units refused to run your games!

Non-story here.

The check would not be enabled on dev units.

Top Bottom